There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-19-2022, 03:06 PM by peter )

SHADOW

a - About the aim of this thread

The tiger extinction thread is dedicated to tigers. Wild tigers. Tigers are elusive animals, meaning it isn't easy to study them and get to conclusions. For this reason, I, more than once, said we need to focus on good information. What is good information? Information collected by those who know, meaning biologists. In order to include as much as possible, information collected by those who hunted them a century ago and those who have personal experience with wild tigers is allowed as well. 

I'm not saying this thread offers an overview of everything known about wild tigers, but it is a serious attempt to get there. As far as I can see, it resulted in an interesting thread for those who want to know a bit more about wild tigers. Am I the only one who got to that conclusion? The answer is no. The tiger extinction thread now has close to a million views, meaning the policy to focus on good information is appreciated by many.   

b - About facts and opinions and a new member of Wildfact ('Apex Titan')

The aim of this thread, as was said above, is to focus on good information: reliable information collected by those who know. If biologists, after years of research and experience, offer an opinion on wild tigers, it will be taken serious as well. Those lacking personal experience with wild tigers have to focus on good information. No opinions, that is.   

You are a good poster, prepared to do a bit of work to check info considered as 'reliable' by most. It stood out. So much so, you was offered the position of moderator. You accepted and didn't disappoint. That is to say, in most respects. 

And what about your contributions in this thread (referring to posts 2,500-2,542 only)? I read post 2,500, in which you offered an opinion on an issue discussed by other members. An opinion that  was repeated later. Useful? I don't think so. 

I posted about tigress 'Rachelle', tiger 'Ochkarik' and brown bear 'Chlamyda'  (referring to post 2,518). A few posts later, a new member ('Apex Titan') started posting about tigers and bears in the Russian Far East. 

A new member calling himself 'Apex Titan'? Wasn't he 'Genghis' some years ago? A poster that was banned for fanaticism? The answer is yes, he and 'Apex Titan' are one and the same. What did 'Genghis' do after he was banned? The answer is he started his own forum. He also joined a debate on tigers and bears in the Russian Far East on Carnivora. The info he posted was interesting and his fanaticism, in my opinion, had been transformed into something I would describe as 'drive'. Did it have a result? The answer is yes. He found and posted information I never heard about. I didn't use it for the extinction thread, because I didn't want to take away the credit he deserves. 

A few weeks ago, I invited him to join the debate on tigers and bears. The condition was good info and no fanaticism.

c - About your input in the debate about tigress 'Rachelle', tiger 'Ochkarik' and brown bear 'Chlamyda' 

Did 'Apex Titan' live up to expectation? The answer is yes. His first post (referring to post 2,523) proved to be a bait you couldn't resist. Was it intended? The answer is yes, as you also know about tigers and bears. My hope was your response would result in an interesting debate and a few conclusions. Did it happen? No. In post 2,524 you said you considered a debate on tigress 'Rachelle', tiger 'Ochkarik' and brown bear 'Chlamyda' as superfluous, if not boring. You added you wouldn't contribute. 

Did you keep your word? The answer is no. You, more than once, said it was a non-debate based on opinions only. In order to back your conclusion, you referred to the exchange with Batalov you posted some time ago. Not much later, you posted an opinion of another new member ('Nyers'). An opinion? Yes. In the two interviews published, Batalov very clearly stated the bear killed by tiger 'Ochkarik' was the same bear that had followed and robbed tigress 'Rachelle'. I will post both interviews soon. 

I also noticed you have a tendency to 'educate', if not 'lecture', our member 'Apex Titan'. You're also trying to ridicule him and trying to dismiss the info he posts. This although the info is from books written by those who know. Your last contribution in particular (referring to post 2,524) was close to outright arrogance. 

And what is the foundation of your position in the debate you said you would avoid? The answer is opinions. And what about Batalov? It's very clear, I think. In the summer of 2019, Batalov said he didn't know why brown bear 'Chlamyda' had disappeared. Almost two years later, he said he was sure 'Chlamyda' was killed and eaten by tiger 'Ochkarik'. Watch the word 'sure'. 

So what happened between the summer of 2019 and late 2020? The answer is we don't know. My guess is he found something he considers as evidence. Circumstantial evidence, but good enough to get to conclusions. Meaning we need to contact Batalov. He's the only one able to answer the questions raised. 

Do you agree with this proposal? The answer again is no. At the cost of Batalov, you made it clear you prefer speculation over anything else. Meaning 'Apex Titan', who wrote you, regarding the incident involving 'Ochkarik' and Chlamyda', only offer opinions and speculation, is spot on. 

Fitting behaviour for a member posting in the tiger extinction thread? No. Does it fit a mod? No. One could say you abused your status and be close. 

d - Conclusions

You said you're not interested in a debate about 'Ochkarik' and 'Chlamyda'. Did you keep your word? No. Inconsistent. What I read suggests you tried to prevent an exchange of information and ideas. A serious offence. If we add you only posted opinions, the conclusion is the time has arrived to leave the debate you didn't want join.  

As to your status as moderator. In my opinion, you abused your status in the 'debate' you considered a non-debate. If we add you, on top of that, tried to create animosity in the mod thread, the conclusion is we're facing a few problems.  

I still consider you a good poster, but it's clear preference entered the game. Not a crucial error, as most, if not all, posters joining discussions enter preconceived notions sooner or later. In spite of that, my proposal is to discuss a few issues. In private.
2 users Like peter's post

Messages In This Thread
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 06-26-2021, 07:26 PM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 01:52 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 02-19-2015, 10:55 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - GuateGojira - 02-23-2015, 11:06 AM