There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Closed 
BBC Bias : Kaziranga: The park that shoots people to protect rhinos

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM by Rishi Edit Reason: Link not active )

Hey guys, I write on Quora.

A question was asked, Do you agree with the guards being allowed to shoot poachers in order to protect the rhinos in Kaziranga National Park?

I was requested for answer & I responded. Feel free to read it here:
https://www.quora.com/Do-you-agree-with-the-guards-being-allowed-to-shoot-poachers-in-order-to-protect-the-rhinos-in-Kaziranga-National-Park/answer/Rishi-Chatterjee-4

(Some1 PLEASE tell me how to share links & upload videos)
Here, I copy-pasted it:
I've seen it & is quite shocked!!!
About how BBC can simply choose to overlook information selectively to make a point in their story.

It's like what Bangladeshis say about BSF shooting at the smugglers…or Kashmiris whining about army killing their “Freedom fighters”. 
I'm sure if BBC undermined them, lotsa Indian would be outraged.. But for some reason people who protects India borders enjoys much more public support than the people who protect India.

The forest-guards use old .22 & .303 rifles & the Poachers use Chinese (obviously) Kalasnikovs. Thus, they hold a slight advantage at longer ranges & not always can afford to take the risk of approaching potential poachers. Few decades ago Kaziranga was almost decimated by massive wildlife trade, some whistle blowers had to die. Gunbattles used to rage, & results not always going in favour of the foresters.
Now, the People are allowed upto a certain distance inside the forest, beyond which you are NOT supposed to go. Anybody seen in the core area risks getting shot, especially so after sunset. What's the logic behind this??..
Well, the shooters come from outside & pay a poor local villagers a paltry sum to track a rhinos movements. So, if a non-personel, who is supposed to have NO business there AT THAT TIME, is seen in a forbidden part of the core area, deep inside the park, he is assumed to be an poacher or their aide & shot to kill.

If you see the graphs they have presented, you'll find how number of rhinos poached have soared recently, that means so has the activity of poachers..Thus more dead poachers (Yes, the villagers told BBC their sad stories, but other than that retarded guy & that boy Akash, every single one could have been a tracker). 
Just because a guy has a family doesn't mean he's innocent.

I mean, the Forest Department has to spend a lot of its meagre funds (read: begged money from WWF) on giving its men counter-ambush & combat trainings!!!!!! THERE’S A REASON FOR THAT!!..

I'm not saying all is right at Kaziranga, it isn't..
But the report was too one-sided & biased to come to any conclusion…It’s like they think that the under-paid men who willingly risk their lives everyday, are lying & everybody else is telling the truth.
4 users Like Rishi's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: BBC Bias : Kaziranga: The park that shoots people to protect rhinos - Rishi - 02-15-2017, 03:39 PM