There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indian wildlife sanctuary, information data and its condition

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

"Regarding revenue, It doesn't matter if I say forest department or Indian govt, since the forest dept is an arm of the Indian govt. I am not going to read those links. Like I said previously, only way I will change my opinion is if someone provides me with a link to the government revenue figures from tiger reserves and its expenditure on tiger conservation. I'll treat the rest as bogus."

The indian gov't is a massive operation, the forest department is one tiny part of it.
The funding is dictated by the gov't, simple as that.
Thats how it works, when you pay taxes, they don't go back to you, they are redistributed to fix other problems, where they are redistributed is suppose to be voted on, but thats not the case always.
The gov't allocates how much funding any branch within itself gets.

You refusing to actual read the links, the references used and the information given is on you.
You can do the research and confirm or disprove any number you would like if you have the desire to do so.

This is the National Tiger Conservation Authority 
(this is the direct indian gov't sector of tiger conservation)
http://projecttiger.nic.in/content/37_1_...tives.aspx

Here you can see how finances are dictating and distributed.
"48.       Economic Valuation of some tiger reserves initiated in collaboration with the Indian Institute of Forest Management."

That is how the revenue of these tiger reserves are determined.
They aren't just some meaningless numbers just because you refuse to believe them.

*This image is copyright of its original author

https://tigernation.org/blog/tigers-up-n...-than-dead
(I suggest you read that)
That link specifically speaks about the successful reserves compared to the unsuccessful and it specifically talks about the need for tourism and protection for the tigers to survive in those places.
"Today, as these figures conclusively prove, nature tourism is providing much of the invaluable economic imperative, the majority of local jobs, and the millions of passionate advocates for the parks that still harbour the greatest densities of tigers in India."

Next point
"So there is habitat, but poaching has made it impossible for tigers to claim them. Effective protection is the need of the hour."
I absolutely agree here, its sad that Tigers need protection by us from us, but that is the way it is.

But habitat loss is the largest destroyer of any species. Tigers included,

"There are more tigers in India, but disturbing news hangs over reports of rebounding numbers: It comes at a time when conservation is under serious attack and poaching remains a pervasive threat.
The country was at a similar juncture a few decades back. In 1971, only 1,800 tigers remained. Two years later, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi launched “Project Tiger” which remains the world’s most comprehensive tiger conservation initiative. At the time of her assassination in 1984, tiger numbers topped 4,000. “Tigers flourished beyond our wildest dreams,” said Wright.
But then, during the 1990s, tigers vanished from across the Indian subcontinent in alarming numbers. The seizure of 2,200 pounds of tiger bone (from about 80 tigers) in Delhi in August 1993 made it obvious what was happening: Poaching for the Chinese medicinal trade (that used tigers parts as prime ingredients) had hit the subcontinent.
But it was worse than that. This hunting bonanza coincided with a period of unbridled development after Indira’s son, Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was voted out of office in 1991. “The plunder of India’s forests was in full swing,” remembers Valmik Thapar, one of the country’s premier tiger experts. “Laws, or no laws…it was all about greed.” Forests were razed, degraded and submerged beneath dam floodwaters, pillaged by mining projects and converted for industry and agriculture. Over the past two decades, the country lost a quarter of its wild lands."

*This image is copyright of its original author

Coal mine in the heart of the Central Indian Tiger Landscape, near Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve.                                              (Photograph by Sharon Guynup)

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/201...nary-tale/

Now this:

"Btw, you are wrong about Corbett. Not only has it got the largest tiger population in India, it also has the highest density per km2. Kazi comes a close second."

“The population has also stabilised in the Sunderbans with 76 tiger estimated,” said Jhala said. He added that the highest tiger density was found in Uttarakhand’S Corbett National Park in and Assam’s Kaziranga National Park."
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news...08706.aspx

We don't know which is larger but either way, in 2010 when tiger density was highest in Kaziranga, they also had the highest death rate from infighting.
Since I have seen no such study for corbett since its density has grown to rival Kazi, I don't know what their infighting death % is.
But i would guess that it would rival Kazi as well.
Which of course is more proof that Tigers need more land as oppose to more #s.
The land needs to be protected even if it isn't a easy tourism zone, the gov't needs to offer far more benefits to those areas than the ones that are booming with tourism.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Indian wildlife sanctuary, information data and its condition - Pckts - 08-27-2015, 09:54 PM