There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

(11-05-2016, 04:41 AM)Georgel Wrote: I wonder from where you concluded that I've confused two events. In all my last posts I've talked about how Ginger has been badly injured and by whom. But, of course, you know better than me what I'm talking about.

It is evident, yes.

Quote:Last but not least, nobody (excepting you, as always?) claimed that Ginger has been beaten by the Matshapiris.

Except that yes, there is.

For the second time: Lion Update: A Close Call for the Matimba Coalition

Quote:Signs of a near fatal conflict are evident and it seems the male is extremely lucky to not only have survived the attack but to have remained alive since. He may have cheated death even further by escaping any long-term injury, particularly spinal damage, and thus managed to make his way back towards central Londolozi and find his brother. Despite looking thin and badly hurt, he sports only superficial injuries with the exception of a typical “kill bite” (seen in male lion conflicts) around the lower back

Then, they discuss who did it.
Quote:This happened far away from any Majingilane presence, though.

The young but already infamous Birmingham males from the northern Sabi Sands have occasionally ventured down into north-eastern Londolozi, several strong. The two fierce Matshipiri males spend most of their time much further south with the remaining Sparta pride lionesses. There is a single unknown male whose fairly nomadic nature causes him to temporarily appear amongst all of this chaos, but him alone could not have done enough damage to the strong Matimba male. Perhaps two or three of the Birmingham males had caught him off guard as they explored closer to Londolozi while the dark-maned male was out of sight.

So, the most likely culprits:

- Two or three of the Birmingham males.
- The Matshapiri males.

Had it been the Birmingham males, it must have been just two. Three would have killed him easily.

Which is why I and others who were discussing the matter at that time, were thinking that it was the Matshapiri males.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

This is not the first time this subject is discussed. You might want to go back and read again the posts.

But for now, let's finish this conversation, there's no point in repeating all over again something that's already posted.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Credits to Craig Parsons.

Dark Mane, the boss.

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Credits to Idube Game Reserve.

Scar Nose caught this buffalo for the Othawa pride.

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Dark Mane, credits to Craig Parsons.

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Credits to Leopard Hills.

During the dry conditions all the animals have to adapted to go on with the fight for survival. Lions are well known to adapted to the conditions they are faced with in order to still hunt successfully.In this case the last stream of what use to be a river is still a lifeline for most of the animals, but also a deathtrap as this is where the Othawa pride and one of the Majingelane males positioned themselves for the next meal, knowing that the precious water will draw in some thirsty animals.Before the heat of the day was gone young buffalo calf came down to get a sip of lifesaving water and instead found death...

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-07-2016, 11:27 PM by Tshokwane )

Scar Nose, credits to Craig Parsons.

Maybe it is the position of the pic or the light, but this is one of the first pics where he is showing a bit his age, otherwise he's always the youngest looking of the four.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Photo and information credits: Cpar photography - Craig Parsons
"Beauty or the beast?" Scar Nose.

6 users Like Ngala's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

who is the eldest and who is the youngest?
I believe Dark Mane, Hip Scar, Golden Mane and Scar Nose is the order.
Dark Mane is the dominant one and Golden Mane being the least dominant.
Correct me if I am wrong
3 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

(11-08-2016, 11:57 PM)vinodkumarn Wrote: who is the eldest and who is the youngest?
I believe Dark Mane, Hip Scar, Golden Mane and Scar Nose is the order.
Dark Mane is the dominant one and Golden Mane being the least dominant.

I agree with you except on the last bit.
To me Dark Mane is certainly the dominant one, but I think Golden Mane is ranked 2º. He may have been in the bottom when he was younger, but now I think he is much more dominant within the coalition.

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Scar Nose, credits to Craig Parsons.

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

wonderful to see how these magnificent lions have grown in a span of 2 years
How bulky they became and their manes became dark

In 2010:

In 2012:

Pc: James Hobson and [i]Adam Bannister[/i]
5 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-10-2016, 08:55 PM by Ngala )

From Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve:
"One of the Majingilane males resting in the shade , trying to escape the heat." Dark Mane.

7 users Like Ngala's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-10-2016, 10:38 PM by Tshokwane )

One more of Dark Mane, he was with the Othawa pride. Credits to Idube Game Reserve.

I wonder if one of his brothers smacked him in the eye. In both pics he has it almost closed.

United States Fredymrt Offline

Credits to:Morkel Erasmus.
It was a crisp winter's morning.
Francolins were calling, announcing the unavoidable dawn that was breaking.
The Land Rover engine was chugging along as we slowly crawled out of the lodge grounds of Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve in the Sabi Sand (South Africa).

Then the roaring of lions brought us on high alert.
We followed, and came across one of the legendary Majingilane coalition male lions, walking up the road ahead of us and roaring towards his brothers. His brothers answered!
Soon we were witness to a reunion of these males - they had all been patrolling various corners of their territory, and this morning was their bonding moment.

It was gloomy weather
the sighting remains one that I'll remember for a long time...seeing these males and the affection they showed upfront, combined with that quick weird show of dominance from the superior ranking one, gave me a glimpse into the dynamics of these male lion coalitions that have so long been the staple of the Sabi Sands and Greater Kruger area.
6 users Like Fredymrt's post