There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 01-26-2019, 12:36 PM by sanjay )

Here is the latest video of fight between Lion and Tiger in the same zoo that we are following in some of the above videos

Edit:
Lion and Tiger fight has new dedicated thread

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-lion-an...ive-places
1 user Likes sanjay's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

2 Male Lions showing their softer side...

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-27-2019, 03:09 AM by Shadow )

One sad case :/

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-a...ing-season

Here is some footage of that case after fight.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-27-2019, 05:18 AM by Shadow )

Female tiger killed a male tiger, maybe been here already?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas...7Z20110909

Tiger kills tigress in Copenhagen... :/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...n-Zoo.html

Sanju Offline

Lion in the Novosibirsk Zoo. January 26, 2019. Air temperature is -25 degrees. Photo by M.Shatalin

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Sanju's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-27-2019, 03:36 PM)Sanju Wrote: Lion in the Novosibirsk Zoo. January 26, 2019. Air temperature is -25 degrees. Photo by M.Shatalin

When looking at it, I can almost imagine him thinking "I have this odd feeling, that I really don´t belong here.....". We have lions in zoos here too, in Finland, and they come out to snow voluntarily. So then again it is good to know that they don´t have to be out in that weather if not liking to be there time to time. Here is now -20 Celcius btw and weather forecast is saying, that soon -40.... bears are so lucky to hibernate Grin
2 users Like Shadow's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-27-2019, 05:57 PM by Sanju )

(01-27-2019, 04:15 PM)Shadow Wrote: When looking at it, I can almost imagine him thinking "I have this odd feeling, that I really don´t belong here.....". We have lions in zoos here too, in Finland, and they come out to snow voluntarily. So then again it is good to know that they don´t have to be out in that weather if not liking to be there time to time. Here is now -20 Celcius btw and weather forecast is saying, that soon -40.... bears are so lucky to hibernate Grin

In Atlas mountains (Barbary Morocco),

Balkan and Zagros mountains of Iran,

Caucasus Mountains lion have lived in snowing habitat too. So nothing like lions don't belong in cold habitats...

OMG! w**! -20 to -40 degrees centigrade in Finland??? shocked shocked shocked  I'm dead hearing about cold and forget about experiencing that intense freeze even for a second not even in dreaming. That extreme temperatures in India, can only be seen in Himalayan regions like Kashmir...
The most extreme temperature experienced myself is -10 degrees for about 3 hrs in Hyderabad's snow world adventure park in artificial conditions... ooh I'm shivering here by hearing your words... ooooh! Grin

Take care @Shadow
2 users Like Sanju's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-27-2019, 05:33 PM)Sanju Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 04:15 PM)Shadow Wrote: When looking at it, I can almost imagine him thinking "I have this odd feeling, that I really don´t belong here.....". We have lions in zoos here too, in Finland, and they come out to snow voluntarily. So then again it is good to know that they don´t have to be out in that weather if not liking to be there time to time. Here is now -20 Celcius btw and weather forecast is saying, that soon -40.... bears are so lucky to hibernate Grin

In Atlas mountains, Balkan and Zagrus mountains of Iran, lion have lived in snowing habitat too. So nothing like lions don't belong in cold habitats...

OMG! w**! -20 to -40 degrees centigrade in Finland??? shocked shocked shocked  I'm dead hearing about cold and forget about experiencing that intense freeze even for a second not even in dreaming. That extreme temperatures in India, can only be seen in Himalayan regions like Kashmir...
The most extreme temperature experienced myself is -10 degrees for about 3 hrs in Hyderabad's snow world adventure park in artificial conditions... ooh I'm shivering here by hearing your words... ooooh! Grin

Take care @Shadow

Well on mountains animals can come downwards when too cold at some height. In countries like Finland, you either tolerate the cold or die, what comes to animals. It´s not completely same situation, I think :) But of course lions seem to be able to adapt at least to some point, but I don´t think that they would survive in this climate. Siberian tigers have a lot more fur overall in wintertime and a lot of body fat to protect important organs :) 

-10 Celcius... that is not cold Grin  It is a good weather to be outside and do things. There is not too cold weather you know, there are just people not dressing up enough clothes if feeling cold Grin But it is funny, when winter is coming, -10 feels somewhat cold. Then after some time you can go outside in t-shirt if picking up something etc. a few  minutes. Of course if longer time out, then some coat etc. is needed :)

I would say, that about -15 C starts to be cold and so on. When over -20 C there starts to be some problems with cars, especially when old batteries and if driving all the time just short distances. -30 real problems with cars, need to be quite careful... imo :)

But imagine, when we had 1939-1940 winter war with Russia (or back then Soviet Union) it was a very cold winter and soldiers had to fight while -30 to -40 celcius out there... that has been something what most people can´t imagine and hopefully never again no-one have to experience that. But maybe not more about that now, but to give you some mental images about climate here Wink
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-27-2019, 05:33 PM)Sanju Wrote:

In Atlas mountains (Barbary Morocco),

Balkan and Zagros mountains of Iran,

Caucasus Mountains lion have lived in snowing habitat too. So nothing like lions don't belong in cold habitats...

Take care @Shadow
Here some "daytime cold photos from mountain environments" Wink Compare to nighttime photo from Finland. What do you think, would there be some volunteer to be in swimming suits more than 5 minutes when there are northern lights / aurora borealis on the sky and stars visible..... Wink

Attached Files Image(s)

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-27-2019, 06:30 PM by Sanju )

(01-27-2019, 06:06 PM)Shadow Wrote: Well on mountains animals can come downwards when too cold at some height. In countries like Finland, you either tolerate the cold or die, what comes to animals. It´s not completely same situation, I think :) But of course lions seem to be able to adapt at least to some point, but I don´t think that they would survive in this climate. Siberian tigers have a lot more fur overall in wintertime and a lot of body fat to protect important organs :) 

Nothing like such Atlas lion has similar adaptations like Amur Tiger, avg weight of Barbary lion is also more due to more fat (Bergmann's rule), and has no such less fur density and actually it has added adv of big lush and shaggy mane if males. They are like modern Cave lions...

@Shadow about #1403, Don't about others but I can't last more than a minute there. :) BTW last pic is amazing with aurora borealis.

And do you know that due to "pethai" cyclone in Dec 2018, we saw hell on earth not due to hotness (hotness is nothing to us) but due to coolness of avg 15 degree Celsius in Two states of South India, AP and Tel. It was like havoc, chaos or panic when bathing, washing and touching water. no sun/daylight... Sad

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-27-2019, 06:22 PM)Sanju Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 06:06 PM)Shadow Wrote: Well on mountains animals can come downwards when too cold at some height. In countries like Finland, you either tolerate the cold or die, what comes to animals. It´s not completely same situation, I think :) But of course lions seem to be able to adapt at least to some point, but I don´t think that they would survive in this climate. Siberian tigers have a lot more fur overall in wintertime and a lot of body fat to protect important organs :) 

Nothing like such Atlas lion has similar adaptations like Amur Tiger, avg weight of Barbary lion  is also more due to more fat (Bergmann's rule), and has no such less fur density and actually it has added adv of big lush and shaggy mane if males. They are like modern Cave lions...
I haven´t read so much about Atlas lions, but if someone would want to take some here now, I wouldn´t recommend, I don´t think, that it would survive. Siberian tiger then again can handle -30 C for some time even though it starts for sure to be on limits. It is really quite different thing, when animal can change place when too cold compared to situation, that no matter where going, all the time cold.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-27-2019, 06:22 PM)Sanju Wrote:

Nothing like such Atlas lion has similar adaptations like Amur Tiger, avg weight of Barbary lion  is also more due to more fat (Bergmann's rule), and has no such less fur density and actually it has added adv of big lush and shaggy mane if males. They are like modern Cave lions...

@Shadow about #1403, Don't about others but I can't last more than a minute there. :) BTW last pic is amazing with aurora borealis.

And do you know that due to "pethai" cyclone in Dec 2018, we saw hell on earth not due to hotness (hotness is nothing to us) but due to coolness of avg 15 degree Celsius in Two states of South India, AP and Tel. It was like havoc, chaos or panic when bathing, washing and touching water. no sun/daylight... Sad

What comes to weather up north, it is one very easy way to know if night will be cold or not. If no clouds, it will be cold. So when you see a photo like that, what I had in my posting, where you can see stars and northern lights, you can be sure, that it is cold too.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Injured tiger in Bangalore. Nice to see, that they are helped when possible. Does anyone have information, that what is this place where this tiger is treated?

3 users Like Shadow's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

http://www.tigerworld.us/wild-adoption-program/
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Sanju Offline

(Click to play the video)

Europe is too cold for elephants, they said. The climate simply does not fit, they said.

Elephants living in northern China also would have had to be adapted to snow as well as Nepal and Northern India's Shivaliks fringes (Elephas maximas).
5 users Like Sanju's post