There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Wild carnivores and humans compared

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@Rage2277 

Most likely a covert way for them to kill tigers and to save face at the same time.
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-04-2020, 03:31 AM by Rage2277 )

noticed it a number of times they said it was because of some fight as usual and i kinda feel like that's what happened to bheema from kanha i've seen tigers with much worse injuries casually walking around also i think kf was poisoned he was a known cattle lifter the little cuts he had were no where near life threatening these animals are alot tougher than that uma's throat was nearly ripped out in a fight with (mostlikely baisanghat) he survived that nasty wound @Lycaon
2 users Like Rage2277's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-04-2020, 07:17 AM by Ashutosh )

@Rage2277 @Lycaon

This incident was outside Pilibhit tiger reserve which has about 10 tigers living in the sugarcane fields just outside the park. The forest department decided 2 months back to relocate these tigers to a forest adjoining Dudhwa.

The tiger in question apparently injured 5 people. So, it is probable that this tiger was exterminated in order to save the tigers living in sugarcane fields from being attacked and hounded by villagers and to pacify the people living around the park.

To avoid an increasing number of conflict in this area (there have been 5 deaths and 10 injured in last 45 days), an idea of translocating them to avoid conflict was floated and agreed. But, looking at it carefully you realize what a stupid plan it is to keep them in an enclosed territory for 2 years and then release them. Here is the report:

https://www.financialexpress.com/lifestyle/science/pilibhit-tiger-reserve-10-big-cats-living-in-sugarcane-fields-to-be-relocated/1892579/
3 users Like Ashutosh's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@Ashutosh 

That is a stupid plan indeed .

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-04-2020, 07:26 AM by Ashutosh )

“The process will start within two or three days with precise estimation of total tiger population in Amaria area through photos captured by camera traps. As reports have revealed inter-region movement of transient tigers of Uttarakhand’s East Terai forest division up to the agricultural belt of Amaria block, we will segregate them after making their proper identification through the data base of tiger pictures available with the WII,” said Rajamohan.

The authorities plan to capture two tigers at a time. The captured tigers will be kept in special enclosures -- one each in a 15-hectare area in Mala and Mahof forest ranges -- for a period of at least two years to get them to acclimatize to their new surroundings, the field director said. the aim is to ensure that they do not come in contact with any human being and the "imprint of human contact" is wiped out from their memory.

“Due to availability of limited space, we will be able to trap only two Amaria tigers at a time,” said Rajamohan.

After the two years, these tigers will be fitted with radio collars, translocated and released into new locations with environmental similarity with the terai belt of UP.

Forest areas in Sohagibarwa Wildlife Sanctuary in Mahrajganj and Sohelwa Wildlife Sanctuary with a joint forest area of Shravasti, Balrampur and Gonda near the Indo-Nepal border are being considered, Rajamohan said.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city...499750.cms

What an idiotic plan! Who approved such nonsense.
2 users Like Ashutosh's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-04-2020, 09:46 AM by Rishi )

(05-02-2020, 12:19 AM)Pckts Wrote: Siddharth Singh
Harvesting season is on.. Tiger wants his share it seems.. Pilibhit TR

*This image is copyright of its original author

Siddharth Singh Free ranging male from Pilibhit Mala range.. Tractor is forest Dept's and custom made for conflict situations .. Regular thing At Pilibhit as harvesting is on and tigers live in these farmlands
Siddharth Singh Prakash Bhai.. There are four to five tigers in same area and he is average size tiger but big yes

Edit: I just noticed this has been posted 3 times now.
haha Sorry about that
(05-04-2020, 01:42 AM)Rage2277 Wrote: so apparently the tiger died from a tranquilizer overdose Sad how many times has this happened ?
(05-04-2020, 02:49 AM)Lycaon Wrote: @Rage2277 

Most likely a covert way for them to kill tigers and to save face at the same time.
(05-04-2020, 04:12 AM)Ashutosh Wrote: This incident was outside Pilibhit tiger reserve which has about 10 tigers living in the sugarcane fields just outside the park. The forest department decided 2 months back to relocate these tigers to a forest adjoining Dudhwa.

The tiger in question apparently injured 5 people. So, it is probable that this tiger was exterminated in order to save the tigers living in sugarcane fields from being attacked and hounded by villagers and to pacify the people living around the park.

To avoid an increasing number of conflict in this area (there have been 5 deaths and 10 injured in last 45 days), an idea of translocating them to avoid conflict was floated and agreed. But, looking at it carefully you realize what a stupid plan it is to keep them in an enclosed territory for 2 years and then release them. Here is the report:

https://www.financialexpress.com/lifestyle/science/pilibhit-tiger-reserve-10-big-cats-living-in-sugarcane-fields-to-be-relocated/1892579/

So I looked up from all sources I could find... Problem with incidents like this is everybody is so busy grilling each other, that it becomes very tough to figure out the big picture of what truely happened.

Anyways, here's my take.

As you may know tigers sugarcane field is very similar to their natural habitat of tall grassland, except human presence makes normal tigers quite wary. 
So these sugarcane field havehave become refuge for young adults being chased by dominant males, females giving looking to give birth in safety beyond usual reach of competing resident tigers or cases like this one, where a male is recovering from his injuries after fight while preying on stray cattle. 

My understanding of what happened here is they to funnel the tiger back to the forest area, but possibly due to  the presence of his opponent in that area he simply came back within next few days. 
This is when the decision to tranq & send him for treatment at Lucknow zoo was taken. But as you have seen in cases before, it is difficult to accurately estimate the weight of a large tiger and set a required dosage (especially they need more when agitated). When the first dart failed to sedate him, they started combing again to inject a follow-up & pressure was mounting as he had now injured 2 more people after 3 last day.

So this time two separate teams of vet shot him, as he sprinted away from one wing of the pincer to another after the prick. Like it happened with Star Male of Ranth few years ago, his body couldn't take the drugs.
While it is technically true that a fully healthy tiger may have survived that, there is no way to know how much the overdose actually was.

Bottomline, they need more walkytalkies for better coordination between teams. And FD needs to oversee and coordinate the harvesting by some sort of a grid system.
Just like Greater Gir the plan of relocating the cats looks good only on papers. But it is not a practical solution, as their place will be filled after buy new ones with years, maybe months.

The shape of Pilibhit-Kishanpur-Dudhwa-Katherniaghat is supremely messed up, by previous govts haphazardly settling refugees from Pakistan in the area. The whole of it needs to be a single TR managed by a most experienced officer... And there needs to be some fencing at places that are not corridors.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2020, 12:57 AM by Pckts )

Bheema when he was captured

Akhilesh Mishra

He was obviously still young here as per his pink nose

I've asked about his weight and I'll let you know if I get a response.
This was from November, 2014

Tigress being weighed

6 users Like Pckts's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-06-2020, 08:40 AM by Rishi )

At the village of  Una village of Gir Somnath district in Gujarat, a lion attempted to prey on a buffalo calf kept in an enclosure adjoining the village primary school in Paswala late Wednesday. When the livestock owner raised an alarm, the carnivore escaped and was later found stck in a empty classroom.

Snapped during rescue ops.

2 users Like Rishi's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-05-2020, 12:50 AM)Pckts Wrote: Bheema when he was captured

Akhilesh Mishra

Tigress being weighed

Amazing find pckts.

India Hello Offline

Akhilesh Mishra

Tigress being weighed

Wow Awesome,@Pckts Any info on measurements(Sh,Tl,Hbl)?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-07-2020, 10:21 PM)Hello Wrote:

Akhilesh Mishra

Tigress being weighed

Wow Awesome,@Pckts Any info on measurements(Sh,Tl,Hbl)?
No response yet unfortunately.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 02:17 AM by Dark Jaguar )

https://gramho.com/media/2283461333968285997

Not the type of pic I like sharing but just to show the size discrepancy.

in case anyone wondering what it says in the bottom its '' The worst virus in the world is the human being.''

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Horrible images @Dark Jaguar , it's sad to see these amazing, big, and healthy specimens die this way to uplift the egos of weak men. This was a beautiful jaguar

2 users Like Balam's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 04:31 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(05-08-2020, 03:40 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Horrible images @Dark Jaguar , it's sad to see these amazing, big, and healthy specimens die this way to uplift the egos of weak men. This was a beautiful jaguar

Yeah that's right @OncaAtrox I think that phrase already says it all, and about your post yeah too bad this big specimen is one more to have fallen to the poachers. I still didn't get over Merlin's case, I am still pissed off about Merlin getting blind that way, he didn't deserve that Angry  . These people should be severely punished.
4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

Police Depart of Conroe, Texas catch a 7 foot 7 inch (2.3 meters) Alligator. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighbo...546414.php
2 users Like Styx38's post