There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban & Backyard Wildlife

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Not a big herbivore, but a very small roe deer in my backyard today. 7 feet away from me! 
*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Pantherinae's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-11-2020, 11:37 AM by Rishi )

Thread to cover the species living in Human Altered Artificial Habitats over the world from now on. Their lives as well as their survival techniques & adaptations.
3 users Like Rishi's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-16-2019, 02:30 PM by Rishi )

Crows harass a black kite on sun-shed of the building next to mine. Because of them kites perch on high structures & don't come so low (2nd floor).

A barn-owl resting in the morning right below my window, less than 2 metres away from the camera lense. Crows got bored by its nonchalance & left.

2 users Like Rishi's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Rishi :

About the last photo of #2: aren't the owls nocturnal birds ? If yes, perhaps this one isn't in good shape... Perhaps too the night was falling when you took this photo.
2 users Like Spalea's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-16-2019, 05:29 PM by Rishi )

(02-16-2019, 03:33 PM)Spalea Wrote: Aren't the owls nocturnal birds ? If yes, perhaps this one isn't in good shape... Perhaps too the night was falling when you took this photo.

Early morning... 
Once the night is over they take shelter in places like this. It's not that that can't see in sunlight, but the glare dazzles their eyes in daytime. So they avoid opening the  on one leg.

Shadow of a tall building on the opposite side falls on this window all day during winter. It spent the day there & flew away in the evening.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

There are many urban foxes who quarrel with each other and the local cats every night on my road, its fascinating to watch the interaction, just how active they are throughout the early hours of the morning and what they get up to. I've tried to get images before but unfortunately I dont have a great camera, I will try tonight to get a good one if the stars align. One thing I've noticed is they've never been seen by a pedestrian walking along the street seconds after they are there. They take so much care in not being seen (less so heard since they scream and freak me out in the middle of the night sometimes lol). I need not imagine since I know almost for certain the population is thriving. It's great to see in an area where compelling wildlife can only be found in zoo's.
2 users Like Sully's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

This thread is meant to post videos, images and cool story of wildlife and nature in your backyard or nearby locality.

Many of us specially in US, South America, Canada and Europe live in such place where there are bears, alligators and other form of wildlife in their backyard or nearby locality. Always something keep happening near you and nowadays it is easy to record video & take pictures of such incident. I think its great way of connecting yourself with nature and enjoying it.

You should post such videos, photos or any incident that you remember with rest of the community members.

Rishi Offline
Moderators

Crow, sparrow, common myna are the 3 found most in my locality. But there are several species that I see from time to time, some rarer than others. These parts of eastern Kolkata where I live, still has greenery here & there, with East Kolkata Wetlands starting about 5kms eastwards. 

All photos taken by me from our window.

Coppersmith barbet (Psilopogon haemacephalus) on tree opposite to my house. 15cm long small bird that lives mostly on fruits & seeds. Quite rare nowadays but a pair lives nearby whom I see often.

White-naped Woodpecker (Chrysocolaptes festivus) on the next tree. These birds are widespread but scarce breeders. Present here in very low number. 

Rufous Treepie (Dendrocitta vagabunda) very uncommon within the city limits. I only caught a glimpse of this once. 

Common Tailorbird (Orthotomus sutorius) on my window grill. This little one is no more than 10cm. Feeds on insects. Less in numbers, but seen from time to time.

Eastern spotted dove (Spilopelia chinensis) on same window & tree below. 

Oriental magpie-robin (Copsychus saularis) locally called "Doyel". Mating pair on ledge of neighbouring house in spring. 
Male.

Female.

Black Kite (Milvus migrans) on the same house. They are common but stay high above. Don't usually come down to perch & be harassed by crows.

Black-Hooded Oriole (Oriolus xanthornus). Rare visitors in the locality. Photographed almost 150m away in a tree.

@Shadow, @Pckts @peter @Sully @Lycaon @parvez @sanjay post any photos of animals that live around your locality... & feel free to tag any other member.
4 users Like Rishi's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-27-2020, 02:06 PM by Rishi )

Incorrect caption. Throw its from Nara, Japan & they are regular visitors.

This one is real though. Sambars at Chandigarh city. 

Another great news amidst Corona lockdown!!!.. 

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

Everyone I ever spoke to said that Malabar civet was definitely extinct as it had not been seen since 1990 and the govt only kept it on the critically endangered list to save face.

It’s good news. Though, I am still not sure there are any in Karnataka.
3 users Like Ashutosh's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-28-2020, 09:49 AM by Rishi )

MOAR..

Barasingha, not spotted... Uttarakhand's last Swamp deers live in Rajaji.

Dehradun town. 

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

If this lockdown continues, we might see tigers and leopards strolling through the streets  Lol
2 users Like Lycaon's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

Rishi Offline
Moderators

1 user Likes Rishi's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-25-2020, 05:12 PM by BorneanTiger )

@peter I have often emphasised that the eastern part of the UAE shares the Hajar Mountains with Oman. The eastern mountainous region isn't the only notable exception to the UAE's image as a land of hot sands and skyscrapers. Did you know that the coastal areas, including those of Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Ras Al Khaimah and Fujairah (with the former 2 being at the junction of the true Arabian Desert and the Arab-Persian Gulf (practically what it is), and the latter 2 being at the junction of the Hajar Mountains and the seas (the former Gulf and the Gulf of Oman), see this map if you're not that sure of its geography) have grey or white mangroves (Avicennia marina), at least some of which attract or host animals like greater flamigoes (Phoenicopterus roseus) and greater spotted eagles (Clanga clanga)? https://www.divemahara.com/kayaking/abou...roves.html, https://connectwithnature.ae/knowledge-h...-mangroveshttps://www.thenational.ae/uae/environme...m-1.848035https://www.thenational.ae/uae/2-500-man...h-1.868945https://wow-rak.com/travel/eco-mangroves...l-khaimah/http://www.alqasimifoundation.com/en/eve...preserving

The Eastern Mangroves of Al Reem Island, to the east of "Al Qurm (The Mangrove) Corniche" in the eastern part of the capital city of Abu Dhabi (which itself is an island), with flamingoes in the first image, and saltwater crystals exposed in the second image, credit: Victor Besa, Sammy Dallal, and Sylvia Razgova,The National

3 users Like BorneanTiger's post