There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Tumbela Coalition

lionuk Online
Contributor

7 users Like lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-13-2021, 04:05 AM by Tonpa )

Some pics of the skinny male - seems he was attacked? Nasty puncture holes in his back leg 
Photos by Tracy South

*This image is copyright of its original author

9 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-13-2021, 05:42 AM by Tr1x24 )

(06-13-2021, 04:05 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Some pics of the skinny male - seems he was attacked? Nasty puncture holes in his back leg 
Photos by Tracy South

Dont know who attacked him, but i wouldn't be suprise if it was his 2 brothers, males in coalition are not exactly tolerate towards weakest/sick brothers in a coalition, we have numerous examples of this, Majingilanes towards Hip Scar, and Nhenha/Tinyo towards Nsuku etc..

In a coalition is all about dominance and strenght, theres no fairy tales about "helping the sick brother" in the wild, weakest member will get beating at kills and for female if he is not strong enough..

Thats how lions work, Scorro Jr is much larger then him and could easily beat him for a kill or female..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(06-13-2021, 05:31 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 04:05 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Some pics of the skinny male - seems he was attacked? Nasty puncture holes in his back leg 
Photos by Tracy South

Dont know who attacked him, but i wouldn't be suprise if it was his 2 brothers, males in coalition are not exactly tolerate towards weakest/sick brothers in a coalition, we have numerous examples of this, Majingilanes towards Hip Scar, and Nhenha/Tinyo towards Nsuku etc..

In a coalition is all about dominance and strenght, theres no fairy tales about "helping the sick brother" in the wild, weakest member will get beating at kills and for female if he is not strong enough..

Thats how lions work, Scorro Jr is much larger then him and could easily beat him for a kill or female..
Those look too serious for that. Fights over kills and females usually end pretty fast. This guy would avoid getting in a big scrap with his brothers over kills and females in his current state and his brothers wouldn't gang up on him. Inter-coalition fights never go so far for either individual to end up with nasty puncture wounds on the hind-legs, it's usually just frontal injuries around the face. It's probably other males or he got attacked by hyenas maybe.
2 users Like sik94's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Wounds on the back typically are more a sign of a attempt to kill a lion than just the usual scraps over food or mating. 
Lions don't really kill their own kin over that. Though they may hog the food while the other starves.

It may have been one of the lionesses as they typically hold a lot less sympathy to the males. Though it more likely was a scuffle with outsiders.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-13-2021, 05:31 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Dont know who attacked him, but i wouldn't be suprise if it was his 2 brothers, males in coalition are not exactly tolerate towards weakest/sick brothers in a coalition, we have numerous examples of this, Majingilanes towards Hip Scar, and Nhenha/Tinyo towards Nsuku etc..
What an absurd claim it is wtf? There hasn't been any single example of lions mauling their coalition mate ever. He could have been beaten over mating rights, but in such case he would wounds on the from of his body, not on the back legs.

Idk if those wounds are new, it could be from their nomadic period of life. If they are new then they would have to be caused by either Styx/Nkuchuma or Plains Camp males as both of those nomadic duos were spotted in the arena.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-13-2021, 03:11 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-13-2021, 02:11 PM)Potato Wrote: What an absurd claim it is wtf? There hasn't been any single example of lions mauling their coalition mate ever. He could have been beaten over mating rights, but in such case he would wounds on the from of his body, not on the back legs.

Idk if those wounds are new, it could be from their nomadic period of life. If they are new then they would have to be caused by either Styx/Nkuchuma or Plains Camp males as both of those nomadic duos were spotted in the arena.

Where did i say they tried to maul him lol, stop saying something i didn't say, ofc they wont maul their brother... 

I said in a fight "for a kill or for female" few times.. 

Yes, usually those injuries are in front body, but anything can happen in scuffle and maybe females also participate. 

If he got caught and mauled by 2 Styx/NK, PC Boys or maybe Mhangeni pride i dont think he would get away just with that so i think thats not very likely, also its not a hyena bite.. 

Here is better photo:

It doesnt look that serious, there have been much worse injuries in a fights for females or kills then this bite so calm down..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-13-2021, 03:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Where did i say they tried to maul him lol, stop saying something i didn't say, ofc they wont maul their brother... 
We talk about his injures to his back leg which obviously would not happen 1vs1 confrontation.

(06-13-2021, 03:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yes, usually those injuries are in front body,
Not ussually, but always. 

(06-13-2021, 03:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: If he got caught and mauled by 2 Styx/NK, PC Boys or maybe Mhangeni pride i dont think he would get away just with that so i think thats not very likely
There are multiple examples of lions surviving mauling other coalitions. In fact probably it less often ends up in death than not. You can even find examples like PB Mapogo or HB Matimba which survived at least 2 mauling through their entire life.

(06-13-2021, 03:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: It doesnt look that serious, there have been much worse injuries in a fights for females or kills then this bite so calm down..
Again, it is not how serious those injurys are, but to which part of his body they has been inflicted.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Well. He is is in a terrible state. 
It could also just be some scratches from a friendly game of wrestling that got infected.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

lionuk Online
Contributor

1/3 Tumbela male 

6 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Skorro Jr. :

Photo Credits : diffmarimane 

This guy is getting more impressive every sighting, very big head.. 

I think in his prime years, he might be the most impressive male in Sabi Sands.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-13-2021, 11:12 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I think in his prime years, he might be the most impressive male in Sabi Sands.
Guides not long ago compared his size to size of 2 and half years old by that time Jr Majingialne...

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 01:07 AM by Tr1x24 )

(06-14-2021, 12:53 AM)Potato Wrote: Guides not long ago compared his size to size of 2 and half years old by that time Jr Majingialne...

Most impressive is not the same as most largest.. In fact he is not even the largest between his brothers, Scar is taller then him, but Skorro is far more impressive.. 

Also Junior is big boy, he was bigger in frame then HB Matimbas when they where seen neck to neck in late 2020, when he was not even 3 yrs old..

Amahle/Dominant Nwaswitshaka is most impressive of the 4,but he is actually 3rd in size behind Gore and Wide Nose..

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its the advantage having two ailing brothers that aren't able to stand up for themselves around the kill.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-14-2021, 01:03 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Most impressive is not the same as most largest.. In fact he is not even the largest between his brothers, Scar is taller then him, but Skorro is far more impressive.. 
Ok, then we have differnet definitions. For me the most improssive looking (impressive fighting spirit is yet different think) is combination of body size and shape, facial look and look of the mane. I am personally not impressed by Skorro Jr by any meassure.  For me at the moment, as Nhenha is getting older (his face does not look quite as good as when he was in his prime and his mane is not as big and stunning, he was beautiful lion when was in his prime) and the Othawa male is gone is DM Avoca (good looking, at least over avarage body size and the impressive mane). After him Nhenha (still looking quite good despite age), Amahle (good looking fella) and the Torchwood male (already looking very good). Later on I believe Othawa and Talamati males will dominate such debates if they do not move out of SS althrough Nkuchuma males ain't looking too bad either. 
(06-14-2021, 01:03 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Also Junior is big boy, he was bigger in frame then HB Matimbas when they where seen neck to neck in late 2020, when he was not even 3 yrs old..

On that sighting HB looked like zombie, skin and bones, barely alive even. 
(06-14-2021, 01:03 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Amahle/Dominant Nwaswitshaka is most impressive of the 4,but he is actually 3rd in size behind Gore and Wide Nose..
I would say he is at least as tall as those two mentioned, but significantly heavier builded and therefor the largest of N'was.