There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Sundarban Tiger

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Sunderban Tiger
*This image is copyright of its original author

Sundarban has it's fair share of grasslands too. And when the king walks past one of those patches, the feelings soar to the absolute magical heights!

Sunderban Tiger

Photo Credit: Soumyajit Nandy
7 users Like sanjay's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Soumyajit Nandy
Orange Ghost on the move! 

Soumyajit Nandy with Nityananda Choukidar at Sundarban Tiger Reserve.

"2016 started with the sighting of a monster Salt-water Crocodile in Sundarban. This is the largest seen by me so far (approximately 20feet+). Image will be posted soon!"

Here is the croc hes talking about

"Monster Croc!

It was a great experience to start 2016 with the sighting and image of this huge Salt-water Crocodile. This is, so far, the largest specimen seen by me. I have tried to include more of habitat to showcase the sheer size of this beast."

2 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Pckts :

Salt water croc at the Sunderban ? So far in north ? I believe that the salt water croc were specifically an oceanian croc. Would it be not an estuary croc, the indian big specy of croc ? And a big individual of the estuary croc ?
2 users Like Spalea's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

There are salties in the sunderbans
Here is a nice write up on saltie distribution

"Bangladesh

Saltwater crocodiles were once present throughout coastal Bangladesh but have since been extirpated from almost all of their former range. The species was found as far as the Chakaria Sundarbans north of Cox's Bazar until the 1950s (Akonda n.d.), but today the only remaining wild saltwater crocodiles within Bangladesh are located within the Sundarbans of Khulna Division, with occasional itinerants being spotted within the eastern portion of neighboring Barisal Division (Mushtaq Ahmed pers. comm.)."

The "estuary croc" is actually the same thing as a Saltwater Croc
"The saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus) is also widely known by the common names, estuarine or Indo-Pacific crocodile, more rarely or informally referred to as the saltie, marine or sea-going crocodile"

Canada Dr Panthera Offline
Pharmacist and biologist

(01-06-2016, 01:32 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Pckts :

Salt water croc at the Sunderban ? So far in north ? I believe that the salt water croc were specifically an oceanian croc. Would it be not an estuary croc, the indian big specy of croc ? And a big individual of the estuary croc ?

The saltwater name for Crocodylus porosus is mainly to distinguish it from the freshwater crocodile Crocodylus johnstoni , in fact the saltwater crocodile is mainly an estuarine dwelling species that lives in many indo-pacific habitats.
3 users Like Dr Panthera's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

The "KING" Of Mangrove....
9 th Aug2015....
Sundarban Tiger Reserve....

4 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-07-2016, 11:13 PM by Pckts )

Shuvarthi Guha

Tigress with cub from the mangroves........

Dec 2015 — at Sundarban Biosphere Reserve.

Male Tiger from the Sundarbans..........

This is one of dominant male in the tourism area in recent times....probably there are two dominant males in the tourism area in Sajnekhali Range.This male covers Sajnekhali,Sudhanyakhali and it has also been sighted in Dobanki Range.

Bookings open for January tours (5th to 7th of Jan) and (13th to 17th of Jan). For more details mail us at [email protected].

Tigress with cubs from the Mangroves......

Bookings open for January tours (5th to 7th of Jan) and (13th to 17th of Jan). For more details mail us at [email protected]

High tide swimming

7 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Souvik Ray
A Lifetime Memory !!! !!!
Royal Bengal Tiger

Sundarban National Park, Aug 2015

6 users Like Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 01-17-2016, 12:41 AM by sanjay )

This is an amazing of Sunderban tiger and its habitat full of palm trees
Sunderban Tiger in its habitat

Image credit to: Soumyajit Nandy
6 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Soumyajit Nandy
HULK! — at Sundarban Tiger Reserve.

King in his lair! 

6 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Dr Panthera Offline
Pharmacist and biologist

Half the size of the Assam, Nepal, and Terai tigers, not as famous or well observed as the tigers of Kahna, Ranthambhore, or Bandgharv, not nearly well filmed nor photographed yet the Sundarban tigers are a very interesting and unique tiger population and provide great examples of the resilience, flexibility, beauty, and awesomeness of Panthera tigris tigris
4 users Like Dr Panthera's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Soumyajit Nandy:
EYE CONTACT!

The initial 3.5hrs was the time when ours was the only boat and we were able to make several images of this elusive ghost of the mangrove. But as soon as he settled down at a place which was near to the exit route of tourist boats, swarming started. I asked my boatman, Subrata, to keep our boat at a distance so that I can include both the human and the swamp tiger in a single frame. This big male looked quite amused at the sight of so many boats and tourists. However, he behaved extremely normal keeping an eye on every ongoing moment.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-24-2016, 10:08 PM by Pckts )

http://studyindiansundarban.blogspot.in/...arban.html

Awesome story and images!!!

Bigcat Enthusiast

Soumyajit Nandy

Tiger Watching in the Mangroves! — at Sundarban Tiger Reserve.

Vinod Rishi New era in tiger tourism in Sunderban tiger reserve! I remember during my tenure as Field Director, STR, in mid 1980s I was called lucky because in one year I had seen tigers 5 times. Tigers made their presence felt by killing people and not posing for cameras. That is why I called it a new era in tiger tourism in Sunderbans

The ORANGE GHOST!

This is a most-sought-after moment for us, the wildlife tourists and wildlife photographers; who visit this hostile forest once in a while, in the safety and comfort of big motorized boats. But the same scene turns into nemesis for the local fishermen, crab collectors and honey collectors; whose livelihood is badly entangled with the lurking threats of this swampland.

He, who shall not be named, is most feared when moves out of the sight!

When the swamp tiger is at a higher position and your boat is sailing right below!

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Partha Pratim Kundu

World's most risky business men: The honey collectors of Sundarban
" If a tiger kills anyone of us, we cannot be afraid and stay at home. If we don't come here, we cannot feed our parents and children. It's our life"
-Said by a fisherman cum honey collector
DOP: 17.04.2016