There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The size of the Anaconda (Eunectes murinus)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-06-2019, 12:27 PM by Shadow )

(05-02-2019, 09:57 PM)ruimendes1 Wrote: Enorme especíme de Anaconda Verde morto no estado de Mato Grosso no Brasil alguém me sabe dizer ou estimar o seu tamanho e peso?

(Enormous specimen of Green Anaconda dead in the state of Mato Grosso in Brazil, does anyone know how to tell or estimate their size and weight?)

I wonder how much a snake stretches when lifted up like that on display compared to it, what it is when alive and normal condition on ground.

But in that state as it is, I think, that around 6 meters could be possible. But that is just a rough estimation and from photos it is always a bit tricky, when there are angles etc.
3 users Like Shadow's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(05-02-2019, 09:57 PM)ruimendes1 Wrote: Enorme especíme de Anaconda Verde morto no estado de Mato Grosso no Brasil alguém me sabe dizer ou estimar o seu tamanho e peso?

(Enormous specimen of Green Anaconda dead in the state of Mato Grosso in Brazil, does anyone know how to tell or estimate their size and weight?)
@"ruinendes1"
Welcome to the Forum my Friend, it is a huge snake for real I think over 5,50 meters long and over 100 kilograms
1 user Likes epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(05-06-2019, 12:27 PM)Shadow Wrote:

I wonder how much a snake stretches when lifted up like that on display compared to it, what it is when alive and normal condition on ground.

But in that state as it is, I think, that around 6 meters could be possible. But that is just a rough estimation and from photos it is always a bit tricky, when there are angles etc.
When they are stetched like in the picture they don't grow at all but when they have only the skin it can be two times the length of the snake when it was alive

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-07-2019, 05:16 AM)epaiva Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 12:27 PM)Shadow Wrote:

When they are stetched like in the picture they don't grow at all but when they have only the skin it can be two times the length of the snake when it was alive

Good to know, thanks. I knew that thing when skinned, many old myths based on those stretched skins. It is a pity, that so many old photos but then again no information about length etc. After all dead snake would be quite easy to measure in some way.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-09-2019, 08:51 PM by epaiva )

Measuring technique stretching the string over the back of the Anaconda to asses its length.
Photo Phillips Bourseiller
Book Natural History of the Green Anaconda (Jesus Rivas)

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like epaiva's post

ruimendes1 Offline

What would be the size of this specimen killed in 1990 in Brazil?

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like ruimendes1's post

ruimendes1 Offline

What would be the size of this specimen killed in 2011 in Brazil?

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like ruimendes1's post

ruimendes1 Offline

1 user Likes ruimendes1's post

ruimendes1 Offline

What would be the size of this specimen killed in 1979
 in Brazil? 

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes ruimendes1's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(05-12-2019, 12:44 PM)ruimendes1 Wrote: What would be the size of this specimen killed in 1979
 in Brazil? 

Big Anaconda over 5 meters long

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(05-12-2019, 03:25 AM)ruimendes1 Wrote: What would be the size of this specimen killed in 2011 in Brazil?

Huge Green anaconda at least 6 meters long

ruimendes1 Offline

What would be the size of this specimen in 2008 in Brazil?

Attached Files Image(s)

2 users Like ruimendes1's post

ruimendes1 Offline

What would be the weight of this specimen in Brazil?

Attached Files Image(s)

ruimendes1 Offline

What would be the size of this specimen killed in 1948
 in Brazil? 

Attached Files Image(s)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-15-2019, 12:23 PM)ruimendes1 Wrote: What would be the size of this specimen killed in 1948
 in Brazil? 

I have to say, that from photos alone, especially when snake is in many curves, it is very very difficult to make too accurate estimations. I time to time use a little bit time to look closer some. I do it so, that I estimate some object from photo, which is about 180-200 cm (imo), then using that as default value I measure it and animal and try to make best guess, which is a bit more than just a wild guess, but then again even in best case it is just a rough estimation. Photos are really problematic, so many issues there which can fool you.

What comes to many anaconda photos, which you have shared, I would say, that many 5-6 meter long snakes there. I wouldn´t be surprised if longest even 7 meters. This anaconda in picture.. I would say about 4,5 meters, maybe even 5. Interesting to see what epaiva say. After all he is the one here, who actually is out there measuring snakes.
3 users Like Shadow's post