There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

South Africa HouseOfLions Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2017, 08:56 AM by HouseOfLions )

(12-31-2016, 11:30 PM)fursan syed Wrote: Saturday, 8 March 2008

Look in to my eyes and you will see...

*This image is copyright of its original author

And I'm not referring to the Canadian singer Bryan Adams’ song. No this time it’s a different pair of eyes you’re looking into: the eyes of the notorious Mapogo male lions.
Thick fog and mist made visibility rather difficult on this early morning. The radio cracked out something and we found ourselves heading west- fast! Pieter wasn’t telling us what was going on, nor what we were going too see ... and kept us on the rims of our seats, holding on to the tank as WE flew through the bush! A coalition of five lions had killed a buffalo on a neighbouring farm and had just left the kill to the scavengers. Full-bellied, and with an almost staggering walk, they headed onto Djuma! On arriving close to the sighting, Efraim was already on the lock. We had to wait for a couple of minutes to get a view of the ghosts of Pieter's imagination, who were supposedly 100-odd meters away. When Efraim finally gave Pieter the go ahead to pull into the lock and the fog cleared up before my eyes, I was amazed about where we actually were. And there they were - Mr T and Shaka - or WE thought it was ... appearing like ghosts out of the darkness - one of the best sightings we have ever seen was unfolding right in front of our eyes.
WE enjoyed the scary company of the two Mapogo male lions - when another one came from the north. With a quick face rub he fell down and lay still next to his brothers. After some confusion - Pieter realised that there were more lions not too far away. The Djuma vehicles had all gone off, so there were other lions in the area. WE tracked along through the clearing mist and only then a couple of hundred meters ahead, two other males were also relaxing in the road. Eventually
WE had visual of all five Mapogos, on the road, lying down, really looking great. They are truly big, huge, humongous. Pieter’s description of them as being Spartan warriors is quite accurate. After the game drive ended, I took Sue and Nontlantlha, to go and see the Mapogos for the first time. Using the bubbaloo (which is much smaller than the tank), Pieter guided us in with me driving - "Jan turn off the road, and watch that space ..." the handheld croaked. With hearts beating at a seriously fast pace, a ghostly shape approached us edging closer and closer- slow but focused. With him passing less than a meter from the tiny babbaloo - poor Nonthanthla and Sue moved further away from the lion and on to my lap. The next followed, and one by one they all passed. Looking into their eyes - it’s something I can’t explain - I really just can’t! There is something about these lions, some thing that pushes me away, and makes us all want to run so fast at the sound of their roar, but once WE are with them, you are hypnotised by their immense power, grace and the secrets in their eyes ...
(Written by Jan Harm Robbertse)

I have a question about a previous post of yours, the one about changing the name of this thread and finding a more suitable/fitting name for the Mapogos. I read that the moderators denied the request but upon reading other threads made by a certain moderator, I noticed a thread called "History most brutal killers, The Majingilane Lions" and I started thinking to myself that the moderators here have said/implied that they don't want idolize one coalition and downgrade other coalitions but this thread's name still exist and it was made by a moderator with the name Majingilane (isn't that ironic).

I tried to find other threads, on other coalitions, which boasted about these coalitions but could not find any. I really seemed like someone has a thing for the manginjis and will try and do anything to idolize them, all the while try and keep the other coalitions in their (manginjis) shadow. Why not call the thread " The mighty/amazing Manjingilane", why does it have to be "History most brutal killers"? And why does the person, who made both threads, not want to give the same kind of "special" treatment to these lions, as he is doing to the manginjis?

I am not trying to start anything but I am seeing a biased pattern here. I understand he/she is a moderator but to show excessive bias towards a coalition is wrong. In what right are the manginjis "history's most brutal killers" as opposed to the Mopogos? And why did he try to downplay the list of lions/coalition the Mopogo defeated/banished when his favorite coalition hasn't done anything special themselves?

Again I am not trying to start a war/fight but after reading this thread and the other one, I am really confused. It's like this user is protected by others and when is called out by others on his crap, his friends come to his defense and start to ban users, for no good reason.
3 users Like HouseOfLions's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Welcome to the forum,
Your first post is about complaint.... I don't think you read all the posts carefully. we have clearly written why it is not possible to change the name of thread due to technical reasons.
4 users Like sanjay's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

I like the Mapogos, but they are part of the History of the great coalitions, why hold on them so much and leave aside those of the present?
@HouseOfLions  Welcome, enjoy the forum please.

Im sorry my english is bad u.u
2 users Like Gamiz's post

Romania bdg79 Offline

@sanjay 
When something is wrong you have to change it, simple as that.
3 users Like bdg79's post

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2017, 03:01 PM by fursan syed )

@HouseOfLions bro yes mapogos deserves more fitting name in my opinion .but admins told me they cant change names bcoz of technial reasons  also they said to me that the name they give to majingis thread is their mistake.. 
@sanjay see you here in this thread after a long time. Happy new year.
2 users Like fursan syed's post

Romania Georgel Away
Banned
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2017, 03:17 PM by Georgel )

(01-01-2017, 11:31 AM)Gamiz Wrote: I like the Mapogos, but they are part of the History of the great coalitions, why hold on them so much and leave aside those of the present?

For the same reason we still talk more about Einstein and leave aside the unknown tribes of the present.

This thread stayed dormant until two months ago having around 18 pages and maybe less than 1 visitor per day. So the invoked "technical" reason is in fact no reason.
4 users Like Georgel's post

Romania Georgel Away
Banned
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2017, 04:35 PM by Georgel )

(01-01-2017, 08:55 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: I am not trying to start anything but I am seeing a biased pattern here. I understand he/she is a moderator but to show excessive bias towards a coalition is wrong. In what right are the manginjis "history's most brutal killers" as opposed to the Mopogos? And why did he try to downplay the list of lions/coalition the Mopogo defeated/banished when his favorite coalition hasn't done anything special themselves?

Again I am not trying to start a war/fight but after reading this thread and the other one, I am really confused. It's like this user is protected by others and when is called out by others on his crap, his friends come to his defense and start to ban users, for no good reason.

You are not the only one noticing this. When I said so the others accused me of lack of respect for a moderator who's acting like a boss, threatening to ban my forum account. For the sake of Mapogos we learned to survive with this.
3 users Like Georgel's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

@HouseOfLions it will remains the constant problem when ever some new members or visitors read about mapogos and other coalitions on wildfact.  . he or she will point out about the thread name issue.in my opinion any other coalition can not give you bigger impact than the mapogos .
1 user Likes fursan syed's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

The Mighty Mapogos.
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Romania Georgel Away
Banned

(01-01-2017, 03:37 PM)brotherbear Wrote: The Mighty Mapogos.

Yes, Sir!
2 users Like Georgel's post

( This post was last modified: 01-01-2017, 07:12 PM by HouseOfLions )

(01-01-2017, 11:31 AM)Gamiz Wrote: I like the Mapogos, but they are part of the History of the great coalitions, why hold on them so much and leave aside those of the present?
@HouseOfLions  Welcome, enjoy the forum please.

Im sorry my english is bad u.u

Thank you for the welcome. I am not saying to not talk about the other coalition currently in the Sabi, all I am saying is to appreciate each coalition equally and based on their merit, not on the bias that some users have for certain coalitions/lions. As Sanjay told me (and I happily accepted) that they couldn't change the name of this thread to a more appropriate name due to technical reasons, I am trying to inquire why a user, and a mod at that, tried to idolize a single coalition, which he is clearly biased about and then tried to discredit other coalitions? Why did he/she give one coalition all the praise while other coalitions are always in the shadow?

I am sorry if I am complaining again and I understand the reasons why the mods can't change certain thread names (due to technical reason and such) but I had to speak my mind on this. As I said before, I am not saying to disregard all other coalitions and only focus on one, all I am saying to give respect where it is due and give respect based on merit and not bias. Even though the Mapogos are all gone now, they were the main reason why lion coalitions started to get so much attention from tourists, researchers, safari guides and more and even though their progeny was not so great (not their fault, they raised great kids), based on the area they controlled, the number of prides they controlled, they numbers of lion they decimated in their lifetime and they number of victories they earned through hardship, they are the most successful coalition to ever walk the sabi/kruger and to say otherwise is an insult to these legends.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Not complaining or anything, just speaking my mind. Currently, my favorite coalitions are the BB, Matimbas and the Charleston boys.

(01-01-2017, 03:15 PM)Georgel Wrote:
(01-01-2017, 08:55 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: I am not trying to start anything but I am seeing a biased pattern here. I understand he/she is a moderator but to show excessive bias towards a coalition is wrong. In what right are the manginjis "history's most brutal killers" as opposed to the Mopogos? And why did he try to downplay the list of lions/coalition the Mopogo defeated/banished when his favorite coalition hasn't done anything special themselves?

You are not the only one noticing this. When I said so the others accused me of lack of respect for a moderator who's acting like a boss, threatening to ban my forum account. For the sake of Mapogos we learned to survive with this.

Thanks for that. While I was reading the other pages of this and another thread, I noticed that too. But what can you do hey, I just commented on that because I was annoyed by the (overly-biased) name given to the manginjis all the while other coalitions in the sabi are given "normal" names. I was just surprised at the bias.

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

I consider such a worry as totally unwarranted. Consider The Lions of sabi sands, The Lions of Timbavati, The Chraleston Males, The Birmingham Males, or The Congo Lion. Not one of them are referred to as being 'Mighty'. I consider the title 'Mighty Mapogos' as being equally as respectful as 'History most brutal Killers'. Remember that you are all lion enthusiasts. To be arguing over something as trivial as this is just ridiculous.
5 users Like brotherbear's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2017, 09:08 PM by fursan syed )

Saturday, 16 March 2013

A Death In The Family: One Year Later

It has been a whole year since the notorious Mapogo coalition were defeated in their last stronghold: the Western Sabi Sands.

The nomadic Selati male lions were responsible for the end of the six year rule of the old masters of the reserve. The old battle hardened males were no match for the younger, fitter lions and when the opportunity arose the new arrivals were able to depose them by killing one of the most iconic lions of the information age.
The male they killed was known by many names including SaTan and Mohawk, but the name most commonly associated with him was Mr.T

Mapogo Mr.T. Roaring

In the year since the death of this magnificent old lion the remaining two members of the once formidibale coalition were reduced to living the life of nomads themselves.

Moving throughout the Sabi Sand reserve and even into the Kruger National Park the two brothers somehow managed to avoid major conflict with other males for the first few months. There were run-ins with another pair of males known as the Kruger males eventually, one of these confrontations ended with reports of the older male, known as Makulu, being killed in the fight.

After those reports the western sector received a visit from the other brother, known as Pretty Boy, who nearly ran afoul of the Selati males when he came to investigate the buffalo herd. A lone Selati male had taken down a buffalo calf and the two rivals had a long staring match before the old Mapogo ran off.

Not long after this Makulu staged a return from the dead and both old males were reunited, even causing headlines when the pair walked into the Kruger Park through the Paul Kruger entrance gate one morning!
In October 2012 the old boys again returned to the Western sector, following the buffalo herd.

Video highlights featuring the return of the Mapogo

At this time Pretty Boy looked painfully thin, without a meal soon he would not last much longer. Good news soon filtered through when the two were seen feeding on a buffalo across on Londolozi.

Mapogo Male Lion “Pretty Boy” Roaring

When the pair left the kill the news of them started to dry up. The once prolific information flow all but disappeared, had the boys moved into the Kruger to live out their final days?

Mapogo male lion “Makulu” Roaring

Finally a snippet of info filtered through from MalaMala in early January 2013 – a lone male had been seen in the northern part of their property that was identified as Makulu. It seems that the oldest member of the coalition was the one to have lasted the longest. He may still be alive now, hiding out in the Kruger, perhaps one day he will be seen again.
The legacy of the Mapogo lives on in the lionesses of the Othawa and Tsalala prides, these two prides are now dominated by the two coalitions (Majingalanes –Tsalala and Selati – Othawa) that defeated the Mapogo so strong genes will be passed on to the next generation!

Posted by Rob Vamplew
3 users Like fursan syed's post

( This post was last modified: 01-01-2017, 09:05 PM by HouseOfLions )

(01-01-2017, 08:01 PM)brotherbear Wrote: I consider such a worry as totally unwarranted. Consider The Lions of sabi sands, The Lions of Timbavati, The Chraleston Males, The Birmingham Males, or The Congo Lion. Not one of them are referred to as being 'Mighty'. I consider the title 'Mighty Mapogos' as being equally as respectful as 'History most brutal Killers'. Remember that you are all lion enthusiasts. To be arguing over something as trivial as this is just ridiculous.

Well that is fine because it is your opinion but I don't consider "mighty" as the same as "History most brutal killers", that name is too excessive and outright biased. You can change the name of the BB, Chraleston Males, etc to "might" or "awesome" and it will be fine but calling a  coalition "History most brutal killers" is very excessive, especially if they aren't "Histories most brutal killer".. I don't have to tell you this as (as it seems you know your lions) but the manginjis don't rightfully deserve that name, the Mapogos do. 

I am fine with the "Mighty Mapogo" name but I am not fine with a blatant lie and over exaggeration of the Manginjis. Why not call them "might" as well or "smart", or "awesome", "history most brutal killers" is a very high honor, it's like comparing a honors degree to a Phd, they are not the same. Given Mapogos track record of violence, brutality and power, they should deserve this honor. I am still fine with this threads name (even though it is underwhelming) but the Manginjis thread name is biased beyond belief. I am not saying the Manginjis are not special, when they killed KT, I respected them for that, as they did that with power and brutality but just because of that, people believe they deserve that title (Because killing King KT was what put them on the map). They don't! I will give them the honor of calling them the "most tactical/smartest lions of the Sabi" but the title of the "History most brutal killer" still belongs with the Mapogos.
4 users Like HouseOfLions's post