There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-15-2022, 11:10 AM)Mapokser Wrote: If so, if not killed in that fight, can I assume we have no idea what happened to him/how he disappeared?
We do not know what happened to him, through as you mentioned yourself PB was carrying some pretty bad fighting injurys back then so there must have been some sort of confrontation of Mapogos with Majingilanes. That makes therory that Rasta was killed by Majingilanes a likely one through there are not any viable evidences on that.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

(03-15-2022, 01:14 PM)Potato Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 11:10 AM)Mapokser Wrote: If so, if not killed in that fight, can I assume we have no idea what happened to him/how he disappeared?
We do not know what happened to him, through as you mentioned yourself PB was carrying some pretty bad fighting injurys back then so there must have been some sort of confrontation of Mapogos with Majingilanes. That makes therory that Rasta was killed by Majingilanes a likely one through there are not any viable evidences on that.

Yeah but the Leopard Hills fight where that supposedly happened was on July 9th no? While all the 5 were roaring together without injuries on July 11th.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-16-2022, 03:47 AM)Mapokser Wrote:

Yeah but the Leopard Hills fight where that supposedly happened was on July 9th no? While all the 5 were roaring together without injuries on July 11th.

That supposed fight was on Elephant Plains, not Leopard Hills and that fight I believe never took place in fact. It seems likely however that Majingilanes could cough up with a Mapogo twins on the other ocassion hence all those bite marks on Pretty Boy.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Australia 1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-16-2022, 08:48 AM by 1999gc8 )

(03-16-2022, 04:16 AM)Potato Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 03:47 AM)Mapokser Wrote:

That supposed fight was on Elephant Plains, not Leopard Hills and that fight I believe never took place in fact. It seems likely however that Majingilanes could cough up with a Mapogo twins on the other ocassion hence all those bite marks on Pretty Boy.
I also read that they were seen without injury after the so called fight. At this stage with so many versions and stories going around its hard to know what to believe. Whenever I read about Mapogo's or watch videos I always hoped the so called human intervention that lead to the demise is something that was made up and not true. There seems to be so many unknowns. I'm a huge fan of the Mapogo's and would be horrid to think if any of the rumours were true. Life is brutal enough for a male lion and any human intervention to make that worst is just horrible to think off.
1 user Likes 1999gc8's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I have another question. I was looking at the coalitions the Mapogos fought and they had a huge fight on June 19th that gave them many scars.

From the rangers reports, the "official" version is that they fought 3-4 Matimbas, the same 4 that two months later had a confrontation with the Majins.

However, I saw claims that there're pictures of the Matimbas in another area a day before so it couldn't be them, and speculation that instead of Matimbas, they fought Majingilanes or even their own Othawa sons.

Can someone clarify what happened, who did they fought? If it's not confirmed, what's the most likely scenario, truly Matimbas as the rangers said, or some other lions? If then, which lions?

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-19-2022, 01:32 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Can someone clarify what happened, who did they fought? If it's not confirmed, what's the most likely scenario, truly Matimbas as the rangers said, or some other lions? If then, which lions?
It is mistery encounter and it is unknown who Mapogos has fought there. The most likely scanario is that it was some of the Matimas that Mapogos fought there. Matimbas at that time were expanding a lot tryed to push their boundaries from northern Sabi Sands around.

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

The great Mapogo lions in their heydays

4 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-22-2022, 09:01 PM)Leo Aslan Wrote: The great Mapogo lions in their heydays

Young Rasta and Dreadlocks at 6:55 looked much like Othawa M and Othawa T looked in 2011.
3 users Like Potato's post

Italy Gabriele Offline

Hello to all.  I'm a new Italian writing.  I am passionate about lions and my passion has increased after seeing the videos on the mapogos brothers. It seems to me, that Mr T and Kinky Tail were the smallest in size not only of age and that Makulu, Dredloack and Pretty Boy were definitely bigger. It's correct?

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-27-2022, 04:07 AM by Potato )

(03-27-2022, 03:03 AM)Gabriele Wrote: Hello to all.  I'm a new Italian writing.  I am passionate about lions and my passion has increased after seeing the videos on the mapogos brothers. It seems to me, that Mr T and Kinky Tail were the smallest in size not only of age and that Makulu, Dredloack and Pretty Boy were definitely bigger. It's correct?

It is hard to say and deffinitelly debatable. For my eye what it comess to Mopogos size then I would say it was from the biggest to smallest:
1. Makhulu
2. Dreadlocks
3. Pretty Boy
4. Mr T
5. Shaka
6. Rasta

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-27-2022, 03:03 AM)Gabriele Wrote: Hello to all.  I'm a new Italian writing.  I am passionate about lions and my passion has increased after seeing the videos on the mapogos brothers. It seems to me, that Mr T and Kinky Tail were the smallest in size not only of age and that Makulu, Dredloack and Pretty Boy were definitely bigger. It's correct?

As @Potato said, its hard and even impossible to rank Mapogos in size, because size between them was minimal.

I think we can agree that Dreadlocks overall looked most impressive and biggest, he had biggest head and overall biggest bone structure, althrough that was also minimal. 

Kinky Tail was smallest in shoulder height, but was very bulky and muscular just as his brothers, mr T was most leanest of them, but in shoulder height he was on pair with others. 

Makhulu was biggest early on, as he was oldest, but rest catched up to him in size as they got older. 

Other then that, i dont think we can 100% rank them. 

Heres a video of Dreadlocks, Pretty Boy and Mr T, from 2010 i believe, you can see how its almost impossible to tell who is bigger between them :

3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-27-2022, 09:50 AM by Mapokser )

There's a screenshot of Rob the Ranger claiming they were weighed multiple times and he was there to see. He says Dreadlocks was the biggest, then Makulu, but the difference wasn't big. He says none ever surpassed 230kgs with stomach content.

IMO they were similar in size, but Dreadlocks and prime Makulu were a bit larger and clearly bulkier/more impressive. There's also a very good picture of Dreadlocks with KT, and Dreads clearly had a larger skull and more robust limbs.

I'd rank them as such:

1- Dreadlocks - Largest/heaviest/biggest head/bulkier.
2- Makulu - Almost as large as Dreads and bulkier than all others but Dreads.
3- Rasta - Pictures of his fight with Makulu in 2009 makes me feel like he's bulkier than PB (he looked impressive there), people also call him a tank so overall opinion might be that he's a bit heavier.
4- PB.
5- Mr.T/KT. There's a video where they greet each other and it's very useful for comparison. I can't find it right now, but from my memory I thought Mr.T was larger/longer and perhaps taller, but KT was considerably bulkier.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-27-2022, 09:51 AM by Mapokser )

[attachment=7648][attachment=7648]
(03-27-2022, 04:07 AM)Potato Wrote:

It is hard to say and deffinitelly debatable. For my eye what it comess to Mopogos size then I would say it was from the biggest to smallest:
1. Makhulu
2. Dreadlocks
3. Pretty Boy
4. Mr T
5. Shaka
6. Rasta

I'm surprised you ranked Rasta as the smallest, he looked very impressive in the photos of his fight with Makulu in 2009 (which he won): https://www.leopardhills.com/blog/safari...n-estrous/

I don't remember seeing photos of the others as impressive as these of Rasta.

Also the Ranger Rob once said that the Mapogos were big for their time not because they are overall large lions but because at the time most lions in the SS were Mr.T size, which seems to imply Mr.T was the smallest. Rob also claimed he saw them being weighed multiple times.

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-27-2022, 09:44 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Also the Ranger Rob once said that the Mapogos were big for their time not because they are overall large lions but because at the time most lions in the SS were Mr.T size, which seems to imply Mr.T was the smallest. Rob also claimed he saw them being weighed multiple times.

In shoulder height and body lenght Mr T was not any smaller then others, he was just not as bulky, also had the smallest mane, mane brings a lot for lion to look bigger and more impressive.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-27-2022, 03:47 PM by Potato )

(03-27-2022, 09:44 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Mr.T size, which seems to imply Mr.T was the smallest. Rob also claimed he saw them being weighed multiple times.
Yeah, Rob made comments implying that Mr T was the smallest and the Dreadlocks was the biggest. Makuhulu and Dreadlocks in their prime were very close in size. I rated Mak higher for my impression, but it was close and debatable so I won't argue I someone claims that for his eye Dreadlocks was actually bigger.

(03-27-2022, 09:44 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm surprised you ranked Rasta as the smallest, he looked very impressive in the photos of his fight with Makulu in 2009 (which he won)
I mostly base my impression on a video (which I can not find anymore, probably got deleted) of Mr T, Dreadlocks and Rasta walking side by side patroling in which Rasta was the smallest looking male by any mean.

(03-27-2022, 09:44 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Also the Ranger Rob once said that the Mapogos were big for their time not because they are overall large lions but because at the time most lions in the SS were Mr.T size, which seems to imply Mr.T was the smallest. Rob also claimed he saw them being weighed multiple times.
That is intresting topic in itself. Rob said that neither of them was weithted more than 230 kg indicating that they were not big. Was it through? Of course people will start bringing examples of Ximpoko and other lions which were supposedly weighted at much over 250kg. Personally I do not believe in neither of such weight. It was already quite a lot of such mythical huge weights which in the end turned out to be just assumed weight, not an actual weight. Red Road male which is considered big individual himself was recently weighted and was 200-210 kg on empty stomach so probably would be around 220-230 with full stomach. Also when you look nowdays on the males of Sabi Sands in compare to the lionesses around - then at many cases you can actualy see then males are just a bit bigger than their lionesses, while when you look at old videos of Mapogos with Styx or Ximunghwe lionesses then in those the males look like twice the weight of the lionesses around them which is also intresting.

Btw there is also nice shot of PB, Mr T and Rasta in line through Rasta is on lower ground a a bit further from the camera which makes him look smaller then he actually was.

*This image is copyright of its original author

There Rasta with Mr T and Shaka, this time on higher ground, making him look bigger than he actually was:

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Potato's post