There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 04-10-2021, 12:52 PM by Leo Aslan )

Lions of Africa - Othawa boys (2 males) 2007/08-unknown
Sabi Sands Game Reserve - South Africa
Ranger report: WANTED, THE OTHAWA BOYS!
..."Distinguished ladies and gentlemen,
I am a lion fan who is from the United States. I have been fascinated by them for many years. A story I had once read, when I was surfing online in my spare time, about the Mapogo Male Lion Coalition, talked about lions that were from Sabi Sand, South Africa. Since then, I have always been fascinated by them, especially the dominant lion, who had a legendary experience. He was known as the Lion King, Makhulu. On March 6th 2012 the Mapogo Coalition lost its battle for supremacy. They were replaced by the younger Selati Male Lion Coalition. I had sad tears at that moment, but I also realized and respected the alternation by the laws of nature. Love needs no reason, but love needs courage! For this unforgettable love I wished my favor of Mapogo (Mapogo’s sons, known as the Othawa boys) could extend to their male posterity. In order to find the nomadic Othawa Boys, who drift aimlessly in Kruger National Park, I started a most difficult task. I searched all the websites about Kruger National Park, and hoped I could find any information or photographs that would show me these two beautiful Othawa boys via tourists and photographers. Four years have now past, but I have found nothing. However, I have not given up and hope I can obtain help from others through this notice.
The Othawa Boys were born during the months of December 2007 and January 2008 to the Sabi Sand Othawa Lion Pride. They left Sabi Sand and made their way to Kruger. If they are still alive, they should be close to nine-years-old today. They were only four years old when they left Sabi Sand. Now that four to five years have passed, it will be difficult to recognize them according to their appearance in a photograph. It is known that the most effective way to identify a lion is tocomparea lione’is whisker pattern. I would like to offer 1000 USD (also 500 USD by the Mapogo Fans Fursan Syed and 1000 USD by Tee Mapogo, so a total of 2500 USD reward is offered on social media) as a reward to the person who could provide photos or video evidence of the two Othawa Boys with their clear whisker pattern. I will be very grateful to you for helping me attain my goal
Male Lions usually do not stay very far away from their birthplace when they are going to wander. They often pick a region or area that is near their birthplace. One of the last witnesses saw them south of Sabi Sand. So is it likely they live in the South of Sabi Sand Kruger region; like Skukuza restcamp, Phabeni Gate, Nkhulu, or Renosterkoppies for instance? Or do they live in the East Kruger region in Sabi Sand, or the MalaMala Game Reserve area? Who knows? These surmises are only based on my experience through the years, but I hope this information will be useful to the people who would like to help me. For this I am veryappreciative!" (Caspian Bryant 2016)
"The two Othawa male lions Othawa M and T, the only sons of the Mapogo lion coalition to survive to the nomadic stage, seen here leaving their maternal pride's territory and starting their true nomadic lion life. This would be the last time I ever saw them. The two young lions were seen a few times moving through the southern parts of the Sabi Sand after this, before heading into the Kruger National Park. Many people believe these lions to be alive and well in the Kruger but no photographs of any males currently match the whisker pattern of these two boys. Filmed in 2011 in the Sabi Sand Wildtuin, Greater Kruger National Park, South Africa." (Rob Vamplew)
The two males left their pride after tensions arose between them and their Mapogo fathers (Makhulu, Pretty boy and Mr. T). While they were roaming through Sabi Sands as nomads, they met the two Nkuhuma brothers, one of whom will later go down in history as Sizanani. It was reported that the two coalitions met on a buffalo kill and the Mapogo successors drove the two sons of Blondie and Dozie after a fight...

1 user Likes Leo Aslan's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 04-10-2021, 02:32 PM by Leo Aslan )

Lions of Africa - Reggae Boyz (2 males) 2001-2010
Ranger report: The missing Mapogos
...You got confuse when you hear Rasta and Dreadlocks?
The lion on the left was known as Rasta or the missing Mapogo. Since he was a little older than the other three Mapogos (together with his twin brother Pretty Boy) , his mane formed earlier and they gave him the nick name Rasta/Dreadlocks. Due to the color of his mane, he also got the nickname Red and because of his character even the name of Leonides after the famous King of Sparta.
The lion on the right was Dreadlocks Mapogo. Because of his tail he was also called Snip-tail. Some also called him Scar and because of his power and ability to bring down a buffalo on his own, he got the name the Beast from the Mapogo community. The name Rasta/Dreadlocks had been shared when the mane of the snip-tail Mapogo became even more impressive, so he became Dreadlocks and Rasta kept only his first name.
Also in the documentary, the names are given incorrectly:
Dreadlocks is named as Pretty Boy, Rasta as Rasta / Dreadlocks and Pretty Boy as Scar. Unfortunately, it apparently led to confusion until today, so that many do not know that Rasta and Dreadlocks were Mapogos but not the same lions.
Rasta was Pretty Boy's twins and was born in January 2001. Over years this was the official version of the disappearance of the Mapogo King: 
Rasta got killed at the mysterious fight at Elephant plains on July 9th 2010. We dont know what happened that night, but there was a fight between the Majingilane coalition and the two twins (Rasta and Pretty Boy). Rasta was never seen again, and Pretty Boy reappeared one or two weeks later with a bent spine. Rasta's body was never found. The other Mapogos (Makhulu, Dreadlocks, Mr.T) weren't involved in this fight since they had no signs of battle the days afterwards. Until today many speculations are circulating. Some claim that the 5 Mapogos were on their way (July 5th 2010) to take revenge for the death of Kinky Tail. They wandered deep into the Majingilane territory and began to roar. It was a clear provocation and proof of dominance. A video was recorded where all 5 remaining Mapogo lions roared at Leopard Hills in July 11th, 2010.
If this video was recorded on 11th of July, 2010, how could Rasta be killed by the Majingilanes on 9th of July? By July 19th, all 5 Mapogos had been sighted. From 20 to 23 July, 4 days, there were no reports of the Mapogos. From 23 July, only 4 Mapogos were seen. Rasta never reappeared again. Pretty boy showed signs of a fight because his back was badly injured. The question is what happened between July 20 and 23? That is the key for an answer!
Dreadlocks was born on March 2001 and he was the dominant Mapogo when Makhulu was becoming old (end of 2008 at 10 years old).  Sadly, he mysteriously disappeared in December 2010 and was never seen again. The general consensus is that Dreadlocks was poached (in a village hut outside the reserve a lion skin with a magnificent mane was sighted hanging on a wall and freshly skinned) since a leopard disappeared at the same time, and an other lioness got caught in a trap also. After years of secrecy, ranger Willem Botha came forward in 2015 and explained what happened to Dreadlocks: At that time there were big rains and the fences of the reserve were washed away by a flood like 2009 when the Sand River pride fled there and started to kill cattle. The big culprits were the three chiefs of Dumphries village who insisted that the lions should be distroyed after eating their cattle. We attempted to bait and dart the lions and take them back to the Sabi Sands but members of the local population on instruction of the chiefs chaded the lions away from the bait. They also threatened members of the Sabi Sands and MTPA with violence should we attempt to dart the lions. At one stage we wanted to leave the area the but were blocked by the local population and were told that we could not leave before the lions were destroyed. That was when a group of hunters with their dogs from Lydenburg was called to assist the authorities. 4 sons of the Mapogos and a lioness were shot. 
The snip tail Mapogo called Dreadlocks also left the reserve by the end of November 2010 in the north of the reserve at the Kokovelo river where he on various occasions left the reserve to seek easy prey in the community outside the reserve. There he was caught in a snare which was set near a carcass of a cow (he caught the cow the previous night) and the Mapogo King was shotted by the locals. The End of the Beast was decided in a bloody way!

1 user Likes Leo Aslan's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

Lions of Africa - Mlowathi Boys (2 males) 2001-2012
Ranger report: SaTan & Shaka - Brothers in Arms
...In the Lion kingdom, there have always been fascinating legends about the king. But these two brothers wrote a special era in the South African bush. Both born in Oct/Nov 2001 at Mala Mala, they were the youngest members of the notorious Mapogos and also their most famous: Despite ruling a large territory, the Mapogo coalition wasn't functioning smoothly due to internal rivalry. Many fights often broke out with the leader Makhulu and Mr. T. A closely contested clash then happened with Mr. T and Makhulu, in which Makhulu managed to grab and bite Mr. T's legs and win the encounter. After this fight, it was observed that Mr. T and Kinky Tail broke off from their four brothers, and headed east to control the northern part of the territory. Mr. T and Kinky Tail were then seen patrolling and guarding their territory for two years, managing to fight off other rival lions. However, in June 8th 2010, a coalition of five male lions named the Majingilanes entered in Mapogo territory to take over. The five males were witnessed scent-marking and roaring loudly near the Mapogo's territory. In a buffalo hunt, Kinky Tail and Mr. T were able to isolate the youngest of Majingilane males who was on lookout and began chasing him. Soon they caught the intruder and Mr. T bit down on the male's neck, Kinky Tail ripped apart the male's groin area inflicting tears and bleeding. The Majingilane male tried to fight back. Eventually Kinky Tail and Mr. T managed to break the 5th Majingilane lion's spine and he was left immobilized and left to die a few hours later. 
Kinky Tail's death: Later that same night, a filming crew witnessed the four remaining younger Majingilane lions on the move. Two of them were exposed to Kinky Tail, who immediately charged on them all by himself. They ran with KT on their tail, and the remaining two Majingilane lions came up behind KT. Without the experience of being afraid of anything, Kinky Tail attacked all four of them by himself. Eventually on a dirt road, under a cloud of dust, the 4 Majingilanes had pinned down Kinky Tail. The four males immediately started to bite and rip apart Kinky Tail. One lion was biting at his neck, another at his back; the third bit off Kinky Tail's testicles and genitalia. The Majingilanes managed to successfully snap Kinky Tail's spine, thus immobilizing him and leaving him with zero chance of survival. Mr. T eventually arrived and attempted to rescue and fight off the Majingilanes, but was outnumbered and outmaneuvered and forced to flee. Two Majingilanes attempted to track Mr. T, but were unsuccessful and returned to kill Kinky Tail. The four lions had started eating most of Kinky Tail's hind legs and his entire tail. He was seen taking his last breath while being eaten alive. During the altercation, Mr. T attempted again to save his brother. However, still injured from the previous encounter, his attempt was to no avail, and he again fled. Majingilane lions took over the territory and the pride of the two defeated lions and likely killed all their cubs.
After Kinky Tail's death, Mr. T was driven off his territory and headed back west to rejoin his former coalition with Makhulu, Rasta, Pretty Boy and Dreadlocks. Mr. T managed to rejoin and peacefully coexist with his fellow brothers in their territory. However, soon after the reunion Mr. T was observed seeking out, killing and eating his brothers' cubs. This was usually not done in his brothers' presence. Mr. T had been taking over the pride of his brothers, and the cubs were standing in his way. This was also done in an attempt to mate with the females and spread his own lineage. The Reggae Boyz Rasta & Dreadlocks disappeared in the same year (both were killed) and got the nickname "the missing Mapogos".
Mr. T's death: On March 16, 2012, another coalition of four male lions called the Selatis entered Mapogo territory from the south. The four Selatis were able to single out one of the Mapogos who turned out to be Mr. T. By the time wildlife officials and film crew arrived, Mr. T had already been attacked and had several bite wounds on his back and front shoulder. One of the bites near the back was a deep bite. Mr. T was paralyzed from the hip down from the attack and made him vulnerable from all four lions coming in for the attack. The tactic used by the Selatis was to distract Mr. T from one side, and another lion would bite and maul Mr. T from behind on the spine and genitalia. The Selatis would then stop and move away temporarily from attacking, they would then get back up and proceed with attacking Mr. T, this process was repeated several times. Eventually, the Selatis left the severely injured and paralyzed Mr. T, who died that evening.

2 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

Mapogo Lions - The Battles of Africa
Ranger report: Lion´s revenge
...One of the most exciting chapters of the Lion Kingdom was the war of three great coalitions for dominance over sabi sands. Rarely has an event been so widely reported as the bitter struggle of the Mapogos, Majingilanes and Selatis. The Mapogos were over years the uncrowned kings of Sabi Sands. A superpower of 6 lions conquered and terrorized the areas adjacent to the famous Kruger park for years. Many rival male lions lost their lives or fled to the great Kruger park. The revenge of the Mapogos was merciless and many prides were decimated or driven away. With the arrival of the five Majingilane males, one of the bloodiest episodes began. For months they approached the east where the two Mapogo brothers Kinky tail and Mr T did their mischief after they left the west and their 4 older brothers.
Two legendary battles took place in which the 5th Majingi and Kinky tail left their lives. The now lonely Mr T defended his pride and territory for weeks, but he had to retreat to his brothers in the west. Soon a showdown was imminent as the 5 Mapogos suddenly appeared in the territory now controlled by the Majingilane. To this day it is not clear what happened during those weeks, as Rasta Mapogo disappeared and Pretty boy Mapogo turned up with an injured back. A possible clash could not be documented, leading to speculation as to whether the mapogos and majingilanes had a real fight.
The 4 remaining Mapogos retreated to the west and the Majingilanes slowly expanded their rule in the east. When it was thought that another clash would take place at the end of 2010, Dreadlocks Mapogo suddenly disappeared.
Over the next few months, five brothers emerged from the south and became known as the Selatis. They came too close to the mapogos but were able to flee from the Mapogos at the last second, but when they were in the territory of the Majingilanes, they were spotted by them and one of them was killed. From then on, the Selatis remained quiet and inconspicuous. At the beginning of 2012, they caught Pretty boy Mapogo, who was on patrol alone. At the last moment, his brothers Makhulu and Mr T saved him. A short time later the last battle of the notorious Mr T mapogo took place and the Selatis conquered the west and drove out the last 2 Mapogos. After one of them, named Hank, died after an injury, the last 3 Selatis were driven more and more into a corner. In the end one of them was killed by the Majingilanes again and the 2 remaining Southern pride males left the area and migrated north to the Manyeleti area. The majingilanes were now the top formation and only the Matimbas from the North could be dangerous to them.

3 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-13-2021, 10:47 PM by Potato )

The Last Days of the Mapogo: Kinky Tail - Londolozi

5 users Like Potato's post

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

MAPOGO COALITION
DATED: JUNE 11, 2011
GREG COATES REPORT

http://www.mrtmapogo.com/2021/04/14/mapogo-coalition-june-11-2011-g-coates-report/
4 users Like fursan syed's post

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

MAPOGO COALITION
DATED: JUNE 24, 2011
GREG COATES REPORT

http://www.mrtmapogo.com/2021/04/21/mapogo-coalition-june-24-2011-g-coates-report/
2 users Like fursan syed's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Kinky Tail

credits: Gerda Fluyt

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

Mapogo Lion Dreadlocks - The Beast of the Kings

5 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

The Mapogos showed us what it is to be a LION!

4 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Chile Mauro Offline

I have followed the history of the mapogos for many years, and I took the time to read the 142 pages of this topic. All very interesting and new things are always learned, I think I know a lot about this coalition so I can contribute whatever is necessary.

On the subject of Rasta aka red it is confusing since although noises of a brutal fight between lions were heard, there was no further evidence and apparently the maginjilanes did not have any injuries, this is rare because a lion as fierce as Rasta would have given a hard battle and more if after a while his twin Pretty boy joined. They were two great fighters who would have made it very difficult for the maginjilanes especially Rasta who was a real beast.

The Dreadlocks thing is clearer, this giant was hunted since there is evidence of them and Botha's words that they caught the hunter themselves. A shame because at that time 2010 Dreadlocks was the most powerful and strongest mapogo, already at that time since 2009 he was the leader over Makhulu and his physical strength was verifiable when he hunted only buffalo. This for me was the most lethal mapogo and with him the reign would have lasted at least two years longer than it did.
2 users Like Mauro's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The legend by himself! A lion that will only be seen once in a lifetime  - An old portrait of the mighty Makhulu Mapogo in Kruger in October 2012.
Photo credits goes to: Sheldrick Falls

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-06-2021, 01:18 AM)Mauro Wrote: I have followed the history of the mapogos for many years, and I took the time to read the 142 pages of this topic. All very interesting and new things are always learned, I think I know a lot about this coalition so I can contribute whatever is necessary.

On the subject of Rasta aka red it is confusing since although noises of a brutal fight between lions were heard, there was no further evidence and apparently the maginjilanes did not have any injuries, this is rare because a lion as fierce as Rasta would have given a hard battle and more if after a while his twin Pretty boy joined. They were two great fighters who would have made it very difficult for the maginjilanes especially Rasta who was a real beast.

The Dreadlocks thing is clearer, this giant was hunted since there is evidence of them and Botha's words that they caught the hunter themselves. A shame because at that time 2010 Dreadlocks was the most powerful and strongest mapogo, already at that time since 2009 he was the leader over Makhulu and his physical strength was verifiable when he hunted only buffalo. This for me was the most lethal mapogo and with him the reign would have lasted at least two years longer than it did.

In a 1 vs 4 battle, lone male has no chance to deal any serious damage, as he would be mauled and broken very quickly..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Chile Mauro Offline

(05-06-2021, 12:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 01:18 AM)Mauro Wrote: He seguido la historia de los mapogos durante muchos años y me tomé el tiempo de leer las 142 páginas de este tema. Siempre se aprenden todas las cosas muy interesantes y nuevas, creo que sé mucho sobre esta coalición para poder aportar lo que sea necesario.

Sobre el tema de Rasta aka rojo es confuso ya que aunque se escucharon ruidos de una pelea brutal entre leones, no hubo más evidencia y aparentemente los maginjilanes no tenían ninguna herida, esto es raro porque un león tan feroz como Rasta habría dado una dura batalla y más si al cabo de un tiempo se unía su gemelo Pretty boy. Eran dos grandes luchadores que se lo habrían puesto muy difícil a los maginjilanes, especialmente a Rasta, que era una auténtica bestia.

Lo de las rastas es más claro, este gigante fue cazado ya que hay evidencia de ellos y las palabras de Botha de que atraparon al cazador ellos mismos. Una pena porque en ese momento 2010 Dreadlocks era el mapogo más poderoso y fuerte, ya en ese momento desde 2009 era el líder sobre Makhulu y su fuerza física era verificable cuando cazaba solo búfalos. Este para mí fue el mapogo más letal y con él el reinado habría durado al menos dos años más de lo que duró.

En una batalla de 1 contra 4, el macho solitario no tiene posibilidad de causar ningún daño grave, ya que sería mutilado y roto muy rápidamente.

Pero también se supone que Pretty Boy estuvo en la pelea y los dos podrían haber ocasionado algún daño o no.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-06-2021, 12:26 PM)Mauro Wrote: Pero también se supone que Pretty Boy estuvo en la pelea y los dos podrían haber ocasionado algún daño o no.

English?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post