There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

In the video I posted previously, it mentions the Sand River Pride that contained 5 Mapogo sons, even shows a picture of all five of them drinking which is very reminiscent of the famous picture of the Mapogos. It states that the entire pride had to be killed due to their escaping the sanctuary on two separate occasions, the first time the result of the fence having been washed out by a massive rain which caused a flood. Does anyone know more about this? My, how things could have been different if 5 sons, direct descendants of The Mighty Mapogos could have lived, but how incredibly sad that they never got the chance. Who knows how many of his brothers sons Mr. T killed himself as well.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-21-2020, 01:02 AM)BA0701 Wrote: In the video I posted previously, it mentions the Sand River Pride that contained 5 Mapogo sons, even shows a picture of all five of them drinking which is very reminiscent of the famous picture of the Mapogos. It states that the entire pride had to be killed due to their escaping the sanctuary on two separate occasions, the first time the result of the fence having been washed out by a massive rain which caused a flood. Does anyone know more about this? My, how things could have been different if 5 sons, direct descendants of The Mighty Mapogos could have lived, but how incredibly sad that they never got the chance. Who knows how many of his brothers sons Mr. T killed himself as well.

There you have more in that matter:

https://www.leopardhills.com/blog/safari-lodge-general/the-end-of-an-era-and-a-sad-state-of-affairs/
https://www.leopardhills.com/blog/lodge-conservation/sand-river-pride/
https://www.leopardhills.com/blog/safari-lodge-general/sand-river-pride-continued/
1 user Likes Potato's post

Super Moderator

(05-21-2020, 01:08 PM)Potato Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 01:02 AM)BA0701 Wrote: In the video I posted previously, it mentions the Sand River Pride that contained 5 Mapogo sons, even shows a picture of all five of them drinking which is very reminiscent of the famous picture of the Mapogos. It states that the entire pride had to be killed due to their escaping the sanctuary on two separate occasions, the first time the result of the fence having been washed out by a massive rain which caused a flood. Does anyone know more about this? My, how things could have been different if 5 sons, direct descendants of The Mighty Mapogos could have lived, but how incredibly sad that they never got the chance. Who knows how many of his brothers sons Mr. T killed himself as well.

https://www.leopardhills.com/blog/safari-lodge-general/the-end-of-an-era-and-a-sad-state-of-affairs/
https://www.leopardhills.com/blog/safari-lodge-general/sand-river-pride-continued/
Thank you very much for the assist. Hopefully I might return the favor one day. Until then, cheers my friend!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(05-21-2020, 01:08 PM)Potato Wrote:

Wow, I was not prepared for that. The emotion in the writing of all three articles is palpable, and the entire story in so incredibly heartbreaking that this would happen. Though it happened so many years ago, the tale still elicits anger at the sheer ignorance.

I have literally been hunting since I could hold a gun, and was given my first shotgun when I was 10, a single shot 20 gauge that I still own. The first, and dare I say the most important, point that was drilled into me was that I should never kill anything I was not hunting for (among other things like minimizing animal's suffering through proper shot placement, etc ...). But I was taught that to share the woods with the other creatures I would see in the woods was a privilege, and should be treated as such. To possess a gun is to hold immense power, and power is not to be abused or misused. I can, literally, still hear my father and my uncle, to this day, telling me those very quotes. I remember seeing movies like Born Free as a child and the impact they had on me. To this day, I have been in the woods with countless creatures that I was not actively hunting for, and I cannot describe the feeling that I still get every time it happens. I simply cannot understand the mentality that it takes to act in this way.

Regardless, thank you so much for sharing that with me, I believe it should be read by more folks.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-24-2020, 07:05 AM by Timbavati )

Hello Guys.
What do you think about this. Apparently the Mapogo Page has said about this Male as Othawa M (Mapogo Son??)
I will post two Images with probably 5 Years of Differences. With a Scar which would be easy to recognize to this male in Specific.

Could be this a come  back of son of a Legend as the Styx and Fourways male have do? Give me your opinion Wink
I have a lot of Images of them, If you want see them let me to know <3

Othawa M (2011) Credit: Khimbini Hlongwane
Othawa M (2017 According Mapogo Page) Credit: Unknown

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Timbavati's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-24-2020, 07:00 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Hello Guys.
What do you think about this. Apparently the Mapogo Page has said about this Male as Othawa M (Mapogo Son??)
I will post two Images with probably 5 Years of Differences. With a Scar which would be easy to recognize to this male in Specific.

Could be this a come  back of son of a Legend as the Styx and Fourways male have do? Give me your opinion Wink

Hmm, interesting. 

In which part of Kruger was this male filmed?

And are they sure that on first image is Othawa M? I think he was younger then this when he left Sabi Sands.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-24-2020, 02:05 PM by Potato )

Hard to say by single picture. Could you upload more?

"And are they sure that on first image is Othawa M? I think he was younger then this when he left Sabi Sands."

He look same as on the picture above.

India Raj8143 Offline
MR. T

interesting....can u upload more pictures plz
1 user Likes Raj8143's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-24-2020, 02:03 PM)Potato Wrote:

Hard to say by single picture. Could you upload more?

"And are they sure that on first image is Othawa M? I think he was younger then this when he left Sabi Sands."

He look same as on the picture above.

This image was posted as Othawa male.
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-25-2020, 01:13 AM by Tr1x24 )

(05-24-2020, 11:48 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Judge for yourself. All opinion are welcome Wink

For me, They are a copy paper!

Well, for first image from 2017, those are definetly the same lions. 

For second image from 2019, idk, it seems that whisker spots are bit off, are you sure that those lions on those 2 pics are the same? 

Can you find out in which part of Kruger was he filmed?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-25-2020, 01:09 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 11:48 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Judge for yourself. All opinion are welcome Wink

For me, They are a copy paper!

Well, for first image from 2017, those are definetly the same lions. 

For second image from 2019, idk, it seems that whisker spots are bit off, are you sure that those lions on those 2 pics are the same? 

Can you find out in which part of Kruger was he filmed?

The Image in 2017 I don't know in which parts was taken, I never received an answer for that.

About the from I just post from 2019, Post the images to find out if anyone could tell if it is or not
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

I am very sceptical on those pictures. On that from 2019 whisker spots seem to do not match. On that from 2017 it hard to say as scar covars important part of the whiskers (that marked on blue). I am not convinced at all that Othawa M in on the pictue at all.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The one and only!
Makhulu of the Mapogo coalition!
(Image Date: 2006/7) 

5 users Like Timbavati's post

Super Moderator

(05-29-2020, 04:38 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The one and only!
Makhulu of the Mapogo coalition!
(Image Date: 2006/7) 

Makhulu is my favorite Mapogo, and I believe was entirely responsible for their early success and dominance. A truly legendary great, and the most heartbreaking part of the story is he left no known sons to carry on in his stead. Mr. T killed what remained following the demise of the Sand River Pride.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Rasta Mapogo 2009.

7 users Like Timbavati's post