There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2015, 01:01 AM by Tshokwane )

Dreadlocks. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Someone recently told me that he was the biggest of the Mapogo. Usually people give the honor of the leadership to Mak(I tend to do that), but over facebook a friend told me that when Mak was around 10 years old, Dreadlocks started being dominant over him. 
I can't confirm this obviosly, because I have never seen them, but I wouldn't be so surprised of that, because at ten the lion is entering into is old days and younger males have more drive to dominate.
Unlike his brothers, Dreadlocks didn't die of old age or in battle. In 2010, he went out in a patrol.. an never comed back. Aparently, his skin was found in a hunters house...
His death marked the future fate of the Mapogo, but in life, he was a real king.

Edit:Vizions warned me that the lion next to the hippo wasn't Dreadlocks, but Pretty boy, so I changed it.

From left to right: Makhulu, Pretty boy and Dreadlocks

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

France vizions Offline
Lion Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2015, 12:45 AM by vizions )

Quote:'Majingilane' pid='10585' dateline='1432060918'

Good post Majingilane. Appreciate it.

For the photo next to the hippo kill, it's Pretty boy (look at the tail).
You are right, Dreadlocks was the most dominant at the time of his death (late 2010) and his demise (poaching) led to the downfall of the Mapogos. I'm sure that his presence would have bring a different outcome for the battle versus the Selatis. They weren't immortal but they could have hold another year(s).
I was always impressed by the size of his head compared to the others.

5 users Like vizions's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2015, 01:04 AM by Tshokwane )

I had my doubts about it(the detail about the tail), but since the person who originally uploaded it said he was dreads, I decided to post it anyway.
Thanks for the correction @vizions , I will edit it.
And, I didn't say it before, but Dreadlocks was one of the most beautiful and majestic lions I've seen.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2015, 01:33 AM by Pckts )

Their manes are so similar, striking males.
TFS and the stories are great as well.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

here is a Mapogo poster with names, on the different Mapogos  

4 users Like Pantherinae's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 05-22-2015, 07:50 AM by sanjay )

Good work @Pantherinae . Seeing mapogos its hard to believe that some of them were killed by Majis

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-22-2015, 07:49 AM)'sanjay' Wrote: Good work @Pantherinae . Seeing mapogos its hard to believe that some of them were killed by Majis

Thanks @sanjay, I think their age played the biggest factor when they fought the Majis. 

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-22-2015, 08:54 PM by Tshokwane )

(05-22-2015, 03:17 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote:
(05-22-2015, 07:49 AM)'sanjay' Wrote: Good work @Pantherinae . Seeing mapogos its hard to believe that some of them were killed by Majis

Thanks @sanjay, I think their age played the biggest factor when they fought the Majis. 

I think it has to do more with numbers than age.
Kinky tail was 8 1/2 years old and Rasta was maybe 9 years old when they fought the Majingilane. They were still in their prime.
But of course, 4 against 1 in the case of Kinky tail and 4 against 2 in the case of Rasta, with Pretty boy also injured...
It shows how important numbers are in the lion world.

2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

oh I thought they where older, thanks for correction. I think if Mr.T had been with kincky tails side in the beguinning Kincky tail would not have been Killed, when mr.t came in to help Kincky tail was already more or less finishid. and as @vizions says had dreadlocks also been there the whole time they could have stayed in charge for an even longer time.   

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-22-2015, 09:07 PM by Tshokwane )

Yes, Dreadlocks death was a big blow to them, maybe with him the story vs the Selati swould have been different.
On a side note to this, I just watched this, linked by a friend in facebook:

Of course, I don't understand russian or whatever language that is, but the point is that this is the documentary about the Mapogo coalition. It's called To Be King.
I don't like much how is presented in some places(Mr.T is the bad guy)but at least it will be aired on Discovery channel on may 28th(or maybe june 28 I'm not sure)

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

It's a trailer. The one announcing the message (a new documentary about the struggle for power in Sabi) in a way also used to sell cars is doing it in Dutch.  

France vizions Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Let's talk about the less known of the Mapogos: Rasta.

People usually don't talk about him but he was one of the most agressive within the coalition (with T and KT). He was the second Mapogo to die at the hands of the Majins the 9th july 2010, one month after KT.
After the death of KT, Mr.T joined his olders brothers in the west and 5 Mapogos went east to meet the Majins around the 5th July 2010. The fight never took place despite the Mapogos roaring. Dreadlocks, Makhulu and T started to head back to theirs tribes and territory in the west but PB and Rasta stayed behind. The rest of the history will never be known but the outcome was that Rasta was never seen again and PB was seriously injured. My personal opinion is that this fight was probably the same scenario as KT and T first fight with the Majins with Rasta charging the Majins alone and PB arriving later.

Pictures of Rasta fighting his brothers (imagine all the others times there was no camera on the spot).

Rasta vs PB

Rasta vs Makulu:

He won the girl this time !

And the last one, Rasta vs Mr.T

8 users Like vizions's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@vizions amazing post! information about rasta is really great, and lot's of things there I did not know! 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

makhulu and Mr.T 

3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

hey is Solo tha male lion who's sometimes with th KNP male lions (freddy) a Mapogo descendant?     
very muscular lion and a real power house I'm told. Looks a little like dreadlocks.

2 users Like Pantherinae's post