There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Good and Bad about WildFact - Need your suggestions

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

It is from beginning of the forum

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-09-2018, 12:14 PM by Rishi )

(08-03-2018, 02:59 AM)Herekitty Wrote: There seems to be an inordinate amount of posts containing defunct photos and videos that IMO detracts from the experience of reading threads. Perhaps a cleanup is in order, coupled with some guidance for posters on what photo and video links are likely to stand the test of time.

Why it happens?

The photos are often directly linked form sources like social media (FB, Twitter etc.) or websites by using this button:

*This image is copyright of its original author

But the images shared this way are prone to getting defunct with time. In case of social media sites original posts might get removed or their privacy settings might get changed, thus rendering the inking void. 
Minor sites may get completely shut down along with all its content.

What you can do to avoid it happening again in future?

Download the images (videos can) and upload it using this button:

*This image is copyright of its original author

...but with that always share a link to the source & mention photo courtesy.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 08-13-2018, 11:06 AM by Wolverine )

The richest and most wonderful collection of big cats images in all internet, the best wildlife albums.  Scientific level is not very high, probably due to deficit of bloggers with biological education. The forum is created to be "watched", not to be "read". 
The "pillars" of the wildfact are 2 guys - @Pckts (tigers) and @Tshokwane (lions), they together make 40% of all posts and probably load 60% of all images. If for some reasons these 2 guys quit I afraid the forum will be almost ruined...
In general wildfact is wonderful, remarkable forum and deserve its wide popularity.
6 users Like Wolverine's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

I am back guys! Sorry for the summer-long break, but I was extremely busy with my internship over the past summer and now back for 3rd year in university. I will finally have more time to post again:

1. What do you like about WildFact?

I like wild animals and learning about them from an engaged community such as this one. Although lack of time and laziness on my part can prevent me from doing so, I intend to post more this year.

2. What you don't like?

The only thing I caution is the joining of new suspicious members; members who initially come on this forum in support of a particular animal. They then go on to say that this particular animal is superior to another and so-on. There were many of these posters here before (and older forums), and there are a few (in which I won't name) here now as well.

3. What improvement do you want to see on this forum?

More overwatch over the aforementioned "suspicious members'" behaviors, but all else is fine!

4. Is any important feature we are missing?

Maybe some picture-editing tool to implement so that pictures posted here don't 1.) Disappear or 2.) Get properly posted even when the original link of the picture is either defunct or changed.

5. How is WildFact compared to other forums and websites (In animal category)?

Definitely top-notch when compared to Carnivora, old Yuku sites, and even some ProBoards sites.

6. Are you happy with the moderation? Or do you think we need to improve? 

I will need to step my game more for the moderation (in this site and the other site), but all other moderators are quite helpful and responsive.

If you have any other questions or any suggestion, don't be shy, Share your thoughts here. Base on your feed back we will try to improve the WildFact.
4 users Like Polar's post

Austria Brehm Offline

1. What do you like about WildFact?

The big amount of stories, pictures and videos about the natural world, especially about tigers and other big cats. Also the members and very civilized art of discussion, even if i haven't been here for a while to enjoy it, things didnt have changed in this matter over the years.

2. What you don't like?

Mmmh, not much to say here... only thing i dont "like" is the structuring here and there.

3+4. What improvement do you want to see on this forum? / [b]Is any important feature we are missing?[/b]

This forum is full of interesting information, especially tons of content in the "edge of extinction..." threads. But most of it is hidden or scattered over many pages. A table of content at the beginning of the thread would be very useful in finding these interesting stories. Especially for new members/readers it could be helpful navigation tool.

Apart from that, some sort of games - like a animal quiz - could be funny. If it is of interest, i already have a idea :)

5. How is WildFact compared to other forums and websites (In animal category)?

This is the best in my opinion for the reasons mentioned above and by other members. Comparable forums like carnivora may have more members, but also more trolls, especially in the "vs debate" department.

6. Are you happy with the moderation? Or do you think we need to improve?

Moderations looks good so far, i didnt had any problems so far... and wont have hopefully^^
3 users Like Brehm's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

(08-27-2018, 09:59 AM)Brehm Wrote: Apart from that, some sort of games - like a animal quiz - could be funny. If it is of interest, i already have a idea :)
Sure, Any thing that can improve quality of forum is welcomed

(08-27-2018, 09:59 AM)Brehm Wrote: This forum is full of interesting information, especially tons of content in the "edge of extinction..." threads. But most of it is hidden or scattered over many pages. A table of content at the beginning of the thread would be very useful in finding these interesting stories. Especially for new members/readers it could be helpful navigation tool.
I think this is one of he most sought after feature on WildFact.

@peter, @Tshokwane, @Ngala, @Rishi and other
Can we do something, at least for our popular thread, we may need help of members as well
2 users Like sanjay's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-27-2018, 05:28 PM by Rishi )

(08-27-2018, 04:57 PM)sanjay Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 09:59 AM)Brehm Wrote: This forum is full of interesting information, especially tons of content in the "edge of extinction..." threads. But most of it is hidden or scattered over many pages. A table of content at the beginning of the thread would be very useful in finding these interesting stories. Especially for new members/readers it could be helpful navigation tool.

Can we do something, at least for our popular thread, we may need help of members as well

I made one before the thread Wildfact Library, something like that?
2 users Like Rishi's post

Austria Brehm Offline

(08-27-2018, 05:14 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 04:57 PM)sanjay Wrote:

I made one before the thread Wildfact Library, something like that?

Exactly like that! Didnt even know there was a wildfact Library since now....

In the tiger extinction thread it could look like this for example:

1. Relationship between tigers and bears in the russian far east - page xxx
2. Tigers and wolves - page xxx
3. Hunting records in the times of british Raj - page xxx
4. The killer of men - the story of a exceptional tiger - page xxx
and so on.

Sure, i it would consume some time, but interest readers and potential new members could have a nice navigation tool, also established members.
2 users Like Brehm's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

BREHM

I agree, but it will take a lot of time. Time I prefer to invest in posts. If anyone is interested in going over the long threads to add an overview (referring to content), say so. Sanjay will offer you the tools to do the work.

MATIAS

I read your proposals regarding Wildfact. Very interesting. Feel free to post it.
1 user Likes peter's post

Austria Brehm Offline

I dont have that much time at the moment too and i visit this site sporadically, but if nobody bothers i would start creating a table of content for one of the extinction threads. It will take a lot of time as peter said. In the long term, im ready to invest it. And re-reading those threads is for sure delicious. But dont expect it to be finished next week....
3 users Like Brehm's post

Matias Offline

Suggestions for the Wildfact.

When I first met this forum, I spent a few days reading about the existing content, what they commented on, as they commented, to see if I could provide and receive content. And my perception was that it was a forum for lay people, with many members who care and want to truly know about wildlife. It has good content and some of its members are devoted researchers. We know that strictly academic discussions occur at other addresses, but it is possible to have and obtain information on the same level as researchers and other stakeholders with academic roots. With the advent of technology in the last 20 years (videos, forum, open access scientific articles, social media, NGOs and Projects with their web pages, conservation and safaris websites, Blog and etc) made it possible for all to acquire larger and broader knowledge than those acquired in academic settings two decades ago.

Well, what I wanted to present to all of you is a matter of vision: conservationists, naturalists and all those interested in the environmental issue and the preservation of wild animals are interested in discussions that bring the reality of what we see and read out into the world. My goal is to help make this forum more interesting to the many people who would like to communicate and discuss the various conservation issues. I do not ask Wildfact to abandon his story, I ask him to expand his area of expertise. I'm sure there are many people who would like to find a place to read and comment on conservation topics in a forum that already has content they like. Studying and discussing conservation issues can be a good way for Wildfact to thrive.

There are numerous NGOs doing some formidable conservation work in Africa, such as TUSK Advancing Conservation Across Africa, Peace Parks Foundation, Wildlife Conservation Society - WCS, African Parks. Projects like the Ewaso Lions, the Niassa Carnivore Project, Greg Carr and his fantastic work at Gorongosa, Desert Lions Conservation, the Sahara Conservation Fund, among many others that seek to keep alive iconic species of the animal world (see how many conservation projects are dedicated to Cheetah). Let's also look at the conservation problems and success facing the thousands of national parks and protected areas around the world. Many of these works go unnoticed or are diluted in topics with non-specific, themes in an unorganized / didactic way. What I mean by that is that a whole dynamic of events that of course interests everyone are having little reach. Models, methods and results of conservation policies are hardly discussed here. Numerous conservation portals (journalism) disseminate interesting news on environmental issues, ecology, habitat, subsistence poaching, commercial poaching (ivory, rhino horns, bones, claws and skin of big cats), trafficking, deforestation (livestock, mining, timber),
animal relocation / reintroduction, political actions, legislative decrees ... Mongabay, Africa Geographic, Africa Sustainable Conservation, News24 ... not forgetting the notable Plos One, Nature, Science Advances...

I will insist on this, from another perspective.

Let us see: to know which was the largest lion that ever existed, if the tiger of Assam is larger and heavier than the Terai tiger. If skull A is larger than skull B, if animal A wins a fight over animal B. These are issues that are important within an analytical view, where only a few here really understand how to put those issues in their proper ecological places, environmental and evolutionary. Analogies would be welcome on all these issues. The vast majority of members worship the coalitions of great lions at Sabi Sands, but it seems to me that no one questioned or wished to know the reasons causes of the existence of these great coalitions in this specific territory, concentrating on sensational aspects of violence and thet taking of power. Focusing on lions as an ecosystemic "umbrella", Kruger National Park possibly possesses the largest wild lions population in the world, with about 1600. With the exception of the Kavango-Zambeze TFCA, the lion strongholds of Selous, Niassa, Serengeti-Mara, Kagalagadi, Ruaha (including Rungwa, Kisigo and other hunting areas adjacent) are counted lower or slightly higher than 1000 lions - poaching is charging its price. Kruger is a park that has a very competent professional management. All ecosystem management is governed with deep zeal. Since 1995 he has not slaughtered more elephants to contain their numbers. The herbivores and their functional classifications: Grazers, navigators and mixed, provides to know their dispersion within the park, biological function and environmental impact. The Roano and Zibelina antelopes (hippotragus equinus and niger) have their numbers very low. If we study the implications of artificial wells (waterhole) for animals, it is understood that their quantitative, location, distance between them, has a profound impact on the dispersion, density, location and quantification of herbivores and their predators. SANParks has a page presenting your work. Developing readings in these areas will provide stakeholders with an expressive gain in knowledge, and will enable Wildfact to present itself as a forum that multiplicity of facts where the conservation theme is fully discussed and presented.

The world is teeming with hot news and I would very much like to comment here. I do not have a lot of free time (I work from 9 to 10 hours a day), I also do not know how to use all the tools that the site provides to facilitate postings, but I am willing to help in whatever it takes to incorporate these themes into the forum. Moderators responsible for subjects on their topics could instigate forists to be more proactive in their posts. Encouraging them to make comments, explanations, questions when they only insert photographs. Whenever possible, the foristas should provide the name of the author of the photograph instead of mentioning "This image is copyright of its original authorl", as well as the link to access the image (every image is in a context). I recently read an old magazine from the 60s about mountain gorillas, the photos were taken by an Agency (Keystone). Another thing, it is possible that some have doubts of exposing their thoughts, and their ideas are labeled of simple anecdotes, and thus, they feel more comfortable to insert photos and make small comments. Every forum has a culture - nothing written or directed - but it is felt, it is perceived, and so it is followed by its members as on a scale of values and many just follow the routine of the forum. I have seen many good posts with explanatory content where almost nobody appreciated it and in the next post containing only photographs receive numerous "Likes". There are many who find photos more interesting than a written post. Not that there is anything wrong with Wildfact, but most of its members do not carry luggage and we need to do something to change that. A great example of how to bring luggage can enrich the forum is the arrival of @Rishi, the quality of their posts, their dedication, bringing content to discussions, in providing quality information is indisputable. Another member that I respect very much for the quality of their positions is @peter. Expanding the discussion area can be instrumental in attracting new members and providing current members with a greater variety of knowledge. As has already been said here: improve the quality department. That's my intention !

To conclude, I would like to say that I am not an expert in the forum, there are many topics that I do not know. So I hope are not expressing my ideas in an invasive way and committing injustices to our forum. How to put new subjects in the forum is important, it requires strategies of approach and placement of themes, as well as it is necessary that the subjects are commented until acquiring a culture of value. It is difficult to propose changes, uncertainties are real, and undertaking new paths causes many to leave their comfort zone. The large number of daily posts is a result of your success. I agree with all who wish to reorganize some topics that are gigantic, since with rare exceptions some will read everything that was posted on a certain subject. Many good information is lost on the first few pages. The information could be more dynamic, and in a didactic way, the oldest could become "librarian" content. Those who started Wildfact know how hard it was to make it ... even harder is to change something that is working. I hope I have used the right tone. It is desirable to develop and format new topics and call new members more connected with the real issues of the animal world.
7 users Like Matias's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

MATIAS

Many thanks for a very interesting post. 

I'm interested in the opinions of Sanjay and the others.
1 user Likes peter's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Thank you Matias for your suggestions.
We were trying to achieve the things you mentioned here, but we remained incompetent due to several reasons

1. Lack of members who are interested in conservation
According to me this is the main reason we are not able to successful in the said category, We have lot of members but most of them are not able to contribute in required way, they simply lack the skill that requires (including me) to make a in depth post like few of our posters do.

2. Lack of research
I think very few of us do the research before writing anything original. Doing a proper research and writing them in chronological order in their own words is very rare and requires skillful members.

3. Members and Mods have their busy life
Any community thrives on their members contribution. Since we are bunch of people from different places and shares common interest of Wildlife therefore we are here, but most of us are busy in earning daily livelihood. @GuateGojira one of our best posters can not post regularly because he has to spend his time in job. This is the case with many. Most of them visit forum in their free time and that time is not enough to make some thing exceptional on regular basis.

4. Lack of Interest
Yes this can not be denied, People with little time are not interested enough to spend their remaining time in something that feel them boring. They do not have time to update or contribute, instead they prefer to read the existing thread and make some comments base on their interests.

So Basically there is lot of reason. If you see we already have "Conservation & organizations" section, but unfortunately there is very few activity.

So What we can do ?

If we were a funded or money rich organization, we could have hired few people for researching and making posts related to conservation and other stuffs.
Or we can personally request top names (researcher, biologist and filmmakers) to join this place and keep updated us about their things.

For now, I hope we will get members like you who will start doing this. We can help by promoting and urging people to share and participate. If you are interested I can make you mod of "Conservation & organizations" section and you can start experimenting at least.
3 users Like sanjay's post

Matias Offline

@sanjay 

Thank you for hosting the ideas. Very good you present these reasons and I agree with them. Your explanations will provoke good reflections. I did not know about the topic: Conservation & organizations, I should have researched better. The time factor is a limiter. It is important that the time spent on readings is greater than that dedicated to posts. Making good postings often requires only an hour or two of a good read, and formatting new content or simply well-organized thought is accessible to everyone.

Let's see if others manifest !!! Only thus can we measure the will in having this theme with greater approaches in the forum.

Having a member with the function of providing information (news and reports) makes it more dynamic to move between topics as much as their time of existence.
(09-11-2018, 10:25 AM)sanjay Wrote: For now, I hope we will get members like you who will start doing this. We can help by promoting and urging people to share and participate. If you are interested I can make you mod of "Conservation & organizations" section and you can start experimenting at least.

Thank you for the confidence and opportunity. I will mature this possibility.

1 user Likes Matias's post

Matias Offline

For knowledge: @peter  @sanjay  @Rishi 

@Sanju 

How did you change completely changed the content of your initial post in this topic (Post #1), as a result, the message I posted is out of context and dissonant with yours. Think well when posting, the posted message can not be volatile, to be modified to well want.  All text is inserted in a context. Every topic needs to have a sequential history of messages, otherwise,  how to measure credibility and responsibility of what was originally posted.

As a suggestion for Wildfact: allow changes only for two to three hours from the initial posting. Formatting a message requires only a few minutes and two to three hours for regrets is enough. Allowing content change after days / weeks of posting, not good for the forum.
2 users Like Matias's post