There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Canada Pbonz Offline

J-boVFLTshokwane thanks and I agree they do have a lot of ground to cover for 3 males . The dynamics will continue to be interesting moving forward . They seem to be a safe distance from other coalitions as well as I haven't heard of them having any run ins with other males recently aside from the Othawa male they have a lot of offspring to protect from the other predators as well.

What happened with them and the Othawa male? 
Haven’t seen any recent reports about him either, he is my favourite in sabi
1 user Likes Pbonz's post

Australia Herekitty Offline

The Kings.
Image by Andrew Danckwerts, November 28, 2018

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Herekitty's post

Nsuku with a much needed kill. Image by Scott Shuldiner at Mala Mala, November 28, 2018

3 users Like Herekitty's post

Romania Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Herekitty :

About #1563: you write "Nsuku with a much needed kill. " Yes, very much needed kill ! Almost emaciated, we can see all his muscles of his front limb, his ribs.  But his mane looks always pretty, so he has kept his vigour. Is it the end of the times of scarcity ? I hope for him and his comrades in-arms.

But anatomically speaking, nice photo !
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Romania The Infamous Offline

im hoping that the raining season will bring much more prey, and as personal opinion, i think there will be some changes in the lions dynamics aswell.We will see what it will happen...
1 user Likes The Infamous's post

Hey @Spalea, he has generally been the slimmest of what is one of the best fed coalitions I've seen, but he does look particularly lean. I guess it must be hard work keeping all those Ntsevu/Kambulas happy, and all the wife swapping could get stressful! I think it's been dry, hot and windy on the lowveldt lately, but one good thing about the dry weather is that it brings more prey to the waterholes. Everyone's probably had enough of Nhenha's regal head (bring back Mfumo!), but it's another good composition from Andrew Danckwerts at Mala Mala. November 29, 2018

2 users Like Herekitty's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to James Tyrrell - Londolozi.

One of the Birmingham males considers whether or not to reply to his brother’s distant roar. In photography – as in most things in life – one learns far more from one’s mistakes, and in this case, I unfortunately didn’t capture his eye. Whilst the side profile is nice and it’s great to get so much detail in his mane, it’s the eye ultimately that should make a shot like this, so the photo falls short.

One of the Birmingham males enjoys a last drink from a pan before the morning’s rising heat forced him into the shade.

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

India Raj8143 Offline
MR. T

(11-30-2018, 06:53 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to James Tyrrell - Londolozi.

One of the Birmingham males considers whether or not to reply to his brother’s distant roar. In photography – as in most things in life – one learns far more from one’s mistakes, and in this case, I unfortunately didn’t capture his eye. Whilst the side profile is nice and it’s great to get so much detail in his mane, it’s the eye ultimately that should make a shot like this, so the photo falls short.

One of the Birmingham males enjoys a last drink from a pan before the morning’s rising heat forced him into the shade.

birmingham most of times they are alone...and its not good for them..!!!
do anybody know whos father of this males?

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(11-30-2018, 11:24 PM)Raj8143 Wrote: birmingham most of times they are alone...and its not good for them..!!!

It's the only way to patrol a big territory.

(11-30-2018, 11:24 PM)Raj8143 Wrote: do anybody know whos father of this males?

The old Birmingham males.

KING OF SABI Nhenha - one of The Birmingham males and part of the Torchwood pride in Sabi Sand. March 2017. Image by David Harrison at Djuma, November 28, 2018

4 users Like Herekitty's post

India Raj8143 Offline
MR. T

(11-30-2018, 11:38 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: It's the only way to patrol a big territory.
if avocas males see alone...they will attack for sure...!!!

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-01-2018, 08:18 PM)Raj8143 Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 11:38 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: It's the only way to patrol a big territory.

At that point they are far from each others. Moreover Avocas has yet a lot of job to do in the north. They didn't yet took full controll of any pride. I don't see any reason why would they put any efforts in trying confrontation with Birmingham Boys in cantral Sabi Sands. Only reason I can think they could fight for is when BBoys decide to go back north in look for another females to mate with. However in that case they would rather get together as lions do in such cases. In that case I would say that it will be more likely to BBoys catch lone Avoca than in the opposite. After all Northen Avocas also do not stick together at full time.

India Raj8143 Offline
MR. T

(12-01-2018, 08:41 PM)Potato Wrote:

At that point they are far from each others. Moreover Avocas has yet a lot of job to do in the north. They didn't yet took full controll of any pride. I don't see any reason why would they put any efforts in trying confrontation with Birmingham Boys in cantral Sabi Sands. Only reason I can think they could fight for is when BBoys decide to go back north in look for another females to mate with. However in that case they would rather get together as lions do in such cases. In that case I would say that it will be more likely to BBoys catch lone Avoca than in the opposite. After all Northen Avocas also do not stick together at full time.
yaa...i agree with u also...!!! numbers matter...but some times numbers failed....everybody know the fight 5 vs 2.... majins vs mapogos....

Abomai Offline

(12-01-2018, 10:42 PM)Raj8143 Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 08:41 PM)Potato Wrote:

yaa...i agree with u also...!!! numbers matter...but some times numbers failed....everybody know the fight 5 vs 2.... majins vs mapogos....

this fight never happened. it was 2v1.
1 user Likes Abomai's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

It was confrontation between 5 members coalition and 2 members coalition even through there was no open battle 5vs2.