There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Talamati/Msuthu Pride

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Talamatis @ Dulini

Credit: Lindsey Holbert

6 users Like criollo2mil's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Talamatis @ slides 5-9

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I've been drinking a lot of late night coffee recently and can't sleep. I think I got 4/5 Talamati cubs down, there's two cubs with 1:1 so i'm not sure if I'm duplicating them. One seems to have darker eyes but might be the camera presets as the whole pic is darker?

1:1 Pale Eyes - Seems to be Male 

*This image is copyright of its original author

1:1 Orange eyes - Sex unknown [Photo by Brett Marneweck]

1:2 - Seems to be female

2:1 - Sex unknown

2:3 (Triangle pattern) - Male [Photo by Sharon Hoffman]

8 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Subs in the west by Neil Jennings

5 users Like Tonpa's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(11-27-2022, 04:28 AM)Tonpa Wrote: I've been drinking a lot of late night coffee recently and can't sleep. I think I got 4/5 Talamati cubs down, there's two cubs with 1:1 so i'm not sure if I'm duplicating them. One seems to have darker eyes but might be the camera presets as the whole pic is darker?

This is great work.   Thank you!!!!
5 users Like criollo2mil's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

When you gotta go, you GOTTA go! Lol

5 users Like criollo2mil's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

This boy has really become quite the specimen.  

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-27-2022, 07:56 AM by afortich )

(11-27-2022, 07:25 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: This boy has really become quite the specimen.  

Good looking boys, I hope they'll be as smart as their legendary dad DM Avoca.
5 users Like afortich's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

The cubs were playing on Djuma during the morning WE drive, looks like it's possibly 3 females and 2 males.
5 users Like Tonpa's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-27-2022, 04:28 AM)Tonpa Wrote: I've been drinking a lot of late night coffee recently and can't sleep. I think I got 4/5 Talamati cubs down, there's two cubs with 1:1 so i'm not sure if I'm duplicating them. One seems to have darker eyes but might be the camera presets as the whole pic is darker?

Great effort @Tonpa , this will prove very helpful, thank you my friend!
5 users Like BA0701's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

By Dulini

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-30-2022, 07:15 PM by Tonpa )

"The Talamati pride have become an incredible addition to game drives the last few weeks, hopefully in the future the pride will become even more of a permanent sighting in the west!"

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-30-2022, 07:01 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "The Talamati pride have become an incredible addition to game drives the last few weeks, hopefully in the future the pride will become even more of a permanent sighting in the west!"

Will be interesting to see if Talamatis actually settle down in western sector, start mating with PC males and claim this territory as their. 

With demise of Othawas, and Ximhungwe/Gingerella being only 2 females, this territory is definitely exploitable for bigger, nomadic pride like Talamatis to settle in.

If that happens, a bit of renaming and correction needs to happen, as it was mistake from the beginning, this is actually Talamati breakaways,they only have 1 adult female and are nomads, while group with S8 male are not breakaway's, they are core group, they have 3 adult females and stayed as territorial pride in former and core Talamati territory. 

So it would be good if we actually start to call these guys Talamati breakaways, and S8 group only Talamatis (original).
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(11-30-2022, 07:33 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-30-2022, 07:01 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "The Talamati pride have become an incredible addition to game drives the last few weeks, hopefully in the future the pride will become even more of a permanent sighting in the west!"

Will be interesting to see if Talamatis actually settle down in western sector, start mating with PC males and claim this territory as their. 

With demise of Othawas, and Ximhungwe/Gingerella being only 2 females, this territory is definitely exploitable for bigger, nomadic pride like Talamatis to settle in.

If that happens, a bit of renaming and correction needs to happen, as it was mistake from the beginning, this is actually Talamati breakaways,they only have 1 adult female and are nomads, while group with S8 male are not breakaway's, they are core group, they have 3 adult females and stayed as territorial pride in former and core Talamati territory. 

So it would be good if we actually start to call these guys Talamati breakaways, and S8 group only Talamatis (original).

I disagree it’s a mistaken name.   It should remain TALAMATI.  I think they followed proper protocol.  Those lionesses left one by one…..they made the decision to split off toward a new male.    The matriarchs stayed with the CORE.   Once these YFs enter estrus, the breakaways will no longer have more lionesses.  I do not think they’ll change any names of the core…..but simply give the Ladies w S8 a proper name.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

I somewhat agree with both views. The three with S8 male did technically breakaway, but it's often the case that the 'original' pride go with the new male, and the other lionesses with the cubs/subs that become the breakaway. Such as how the Talamati Pride initially formed.

If Nana Nkuhuma had left with the subs (including Mhangeni Male) when the N. Avocas took over, they would have almost certainly become the breakaway, despite the fact that Nana was the matriarch. Plus the three lionesses have ended up remaining in the original territory, while the other group went nomadic.

But it's much less clear which group will become known as breakaway, than say with the Kambulas. Ultimately it will be the reserves and guides that decide, not us.
4 users Like NLAL11's post