There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sperm whales and orcas - "clash of titans"

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-22-2019, 09:59 PM by Shadow )

Even though sharks seem to get more attention, they have nothing to do when biggest predators of seas have disputes. Since many people enjoy to look closer conflicts between animals, in this thread could be gathered information about situations when biggest of the big have conflicts. Not even orcas can do every time what they want.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

One case from 2017 when orcas attacked sperm whales.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2017/mar/29/sex-death-sperm-whales-orcas-indian-ocean-in-pictures
4 users Like Shadow's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

About #2: clearly two very fascinating beasts ! It's the first time I read an orcas pod attack that fails...
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-23-2019, 04:10 AM by Shadow )

One interesting article about these two species and also clearly indicating how intelligent both are. Which of course is no surprise when talking about whales.

https://www.livescience.com/19632-sperm-whales-clans-orcas.html
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(04-23-2019, 12:32 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

About #2: clearly two very fascinating beasts ! It's the first time I read an orcas pod attack that fails...

For some reason these are not so often in discussions in different places, even though these two are the biggest predators of the planet :)

Wildanimal Lover

(04-23-2019, 12:37 AM)Shadow Wrote:

For some reason these are not so often in discussions in different places, even though these two are the biggest predators of the planet :)

The oceans are much infinitely greater than the national parks on land and the marine predators fight into a 3D space (square of the oceans and depth), not amazing...

If we start to think the number of titanic beasts which were ruling through the ages (dunkleosteus, giant cephalopods, sharks, marine reptiles (mosasaurus, liopleurodon, itchyosaurus, plesiosaurus etc.) basilosaurus, orcas etc.)...
3 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-23-2019, 04:34 AM by Shadow )

(04-23-2019, 04:24 AM)Spalea Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 12:37 AM)Shadow Wrote:

The oceans are much infinitely greater than the national parks on land and the marine predators fight into a 3D space (square of the oceans and depth), not amazing...

If we start to think the number of titanic beasts which were ruling through the ages (dunkleosteus, giant cephalopods, sharks, marine reptiles (mosasaurus, liopleurodon, itchyosaurus, plesiosaurus etc.) basilosaurus, orcas etc.)...

We can think many things, but today there is no predator challenging these two what comes to size :) There is a saying, if pig would have wings it could fly Wink
I made this thread for biggest extant predators, fossils and skeletons have their own. So I hope that no dinosaur discussions here.

Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow :

About #7: Who is speaking about dinosaurs (which were never marine animals) here ? Me, no... I only stressed that, through the whole story of the life, for obvious reasons (aquatic environment...), the seas have always been the home of the most powerful animals, by far, predators included, never seen and known. And it's still the case nowadays with the orcas and the sperm whales as predators...
2 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(04-23-2019, 10:54 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow :

About #7: Who is speaking about dinosaurs (which were never marine animals) here ? Me, no... I only stressed that, through the whole story of the life, for obvious reasons (aquatic environment...), the seas have always been the home of the most powerful animals, by far, predators included, never seen and known. And it's still the case nowadays with the orcas and the sperm whales as predators...

Ok, I misunderstood a bit :) Yes that is of course as it is. These species are both very interesting and their interaction is not so well known. It is interesting to see two so intelligent species working as groups when there is situation that orcas are hunting and targeting sperm whales. It might be that both are able to adapt new ways to deal with each others faster than any other species... that last is just what I personally have been thinking.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-23-2019, 12:09 PM by Shadow )

This video has interesting information about sounds of sperm whales. I have seen it suggested, that these sounds could be functional as a kind of "weapon"  when dealing with orcas.

3 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Short video and information about "clicks" of sperm whales used as defence mechanism.

https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/00000160-d7ba-d49e-adea-dfff8bbd0000

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Descriptions of three incidents between sperm whales and orcas.

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1506&context=usdeptcommercepub
1 user Likes Shadow's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(04-23-2019, 03:24 PM)Shadow Wrote: Short video and information about "clicks" of sperm whales used as defence mechanism.

https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/00000160-d7ba-d49e-adea-dfff8bbd0000

Orcas are badass! Combination of size, ferocity and intelligence make them the perfect predator.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Do the dolphins and orcas come from same family ?

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(04-24-2019, 07:10 AM)sanjay Wrote: Do the dolphins and orcas come from same family ?

Yes, orcas are biggest "dolphins" out there, both belong to Delphinidae family.