There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lizards of the world

Bangladesh Dipro Offline
Star 

Hello all. I'm new here. Hope I'm not posting this in the wrong section.

This Lizard entered my garden yesterday. I was worried as I have two cats and a dog. Surprisingly they were more curious than aggressive or defensive and stayed by my side looking at this beautiful lizard. Can anyone tell me what type of lizard this is? (He was enjoying the place for while but retreated quickly when it started raining.)

Thanks
~Dipro.
1 user Likes Dipro's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Welcome to the forum @Dipro,
I am not sure the exact name of the species, but I think it is common garden Lizard found in most of the places. They can change their color to camouflage very effectively

Bangladesh Dipro Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-24-2015, 12:39 AM by Dipro )

Thanks @sanjay. I was curious because of its long tail. And it was already changing color at the time of taking pic.
1 user Likes Dipro's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-24-2015, 02:21 AM by tigerluver )

Welcome @Dipro! We're not reptile experts, but I might be able to figure out the identity. What's the geographic location of this guy? It looks like this species:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_garden_lizard
http://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/31281-Ca...versicolor

The oriental garden lizard is well adapted to living alongside us, and not many other lizard or salamander species will be found in your back/frontyard.

Lizards really are cool. If you have logs, nooks, crannies, and such in your yard and you're in the eastern half of the US, you might see Five-lined skinks too.
1 user Likes tigerluver's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

We start this new thread with an enigma: whose eye is this ? Chameleon ?

Wildanimal Lover

About #1: the owner could be him...

Wildanimal Lover

About #1 and #2: Or this one ? But it isn't a chameleon...

Wildanimal Lover

Juvenile panther chameleon catching an insect...

Wildanimal Lover

About #1 #2 #3: so ?

Wildanimal Lover

Daniel Rosengren: " A Flap-necked Chameleon in Selous GR, Tanzania. Like the vulture in my previous post, chameleons can change the colour of their skin. But the way they do it and the colors and patterns they can achieve is much more elaborate. Basically, they use nanotechnology and have been doing so long before humans did. Chameleons have two layers in their skin that control their colour. The top layer contains guanine nanocrystals. By changing the spacing between the nanocrystals, the wavelengths of light that are reflected and absorbed change. An increased distance between the nanocrystals leads to the skin reflecting longer wavelengths of light like yellow, orange and red. When there is a shorter distance between the crystals they reflect blue and green. The spacing of the crystals are regulated hormonally.
The different colouring of a chameleon reflects its mood as well as helps camouflaging it. "

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

@Rishi @Dipro Since this thread was a question about a lizard species (which got answered), and there is no thread dedicated for lizards in general, I hope that you don't me posting information on other lizards here:

Anderson's Rock Agama (Acanthocercus adramitus) is found in the mountainous areas of southern Arabia, from the Sarat Mountains (or Sarawat) of western Saudi Arabia and Yemen (where it would coexist or co-occur with Acanthocercus yemensis), through the Hadhramaut or Mahrat Mountains of eastern Yemen, to the Dhofar Mountains of southern Oman. The genus Acanthocercus is endemic to the Arabian Peninsula and Africa, and is within the family Agamidæ. This family has over 300 species of iguanian lizards in Africa, Asia, Australia and southern Europe, with many species often being called "dragons" or "dragon lizards": https://www.iucnredlist.org/search?taxon...pe=species, https://reptile-database.reptarium.cz/ad...mit=Search

A. adramatinaus in the Haraz Mountains (a subrange of the Sarawat that includes Jabal An-Nabi Shu'ayb, the highest mountain of the Arabian Peninsula) of western Yemen, by Franco Pecchio (28th of December, 2006):

Credit: Mufaddal Q. N. (10th of January, 1970):

Photo by Paul Freed at The Reptile Database:

Image of the range of A. adramitanus, made by R. Brausse (28th of December, 2012), using the works of Natural Earth Data, Amazonaws and the IUCN:

A. yemensis, by Jakob Hallermann at The Reptile Database:

Image of the range of A. yemensis, made by R. Brausse (28th of December, 2012), using the works of Natural Earth Data, Amazonaws and the IUCN:

Rishi Offline
Moderators

Good idea @BorneanTiger

I'm renaming the thread.
1 user Likes Rishi's post