There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

Taiwan Betty Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-31-2017, 09:23 AM by Betty )

Lion

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Lion

2 users Like Betty's post

United States Garfield Offline
Banned

(12-31-2017, 09:07 AM)paul cooper Wrote:
(12-31-2017, 08:16 AM)Garfield Wrote:
(12-31-2017, 06:48 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(12-31-2017, 05:59 AM)Garfield Wrote: Ok guys, but remember not sayin the other data is wrong, but um trustin a zoologist over just anyone, an it was 40 different lion skulls where this dude measured the teeth, not just a dozen. An not sure if anyone has a bunch of Kruger lions teeth on here either, or those big guys from the Craters.  Again could be true u guys gut some thicker tiger teeth, ok, but you's can't prove it wrong the other guy doesn't have real measurements of thicker lion teeth either.
As for that zoologist, I got back to a lion dude, an he don't have the original site where it said Leeds, but they claim its legit an it said fo sure, so all we gut is Tiger Territory, owner talks about a zoologist she hired on it, you can see it here, so thats at least legit.  So this what I gut for now, http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict.html
An to make the tiger bros happy, this dude ain't fake, I saw where he thinks from his own research that the tiger is 47lbs heavier on average than the lion.  So check that out, u guys should like that, its his own research, Ill try to find that for yas.

Well, peter's knowledge in based on the real measurement, not armchair expertise.

He did measure some really large male lion skulls, but its canine teeth are not exceptional compared to that of the tiger.

BTW, I would be gleeful to see if we could manage to find some exceptional sized lion canine teeth.

Bro u cant just go on this site, you check out some other places an bam, you run into just what that zoologist was sayin.

Lion on right    has thicker teeth  tiger longer

Actually not sure bout this one but both look pretty good

Lion on the bottom siberian on the top 

cant see teeth to good here but lion teeth on the left look thicker from here

This is just a few there's a lot more than this

None of these pictures show anything
First picture, I can hardly even see the teeth. But they look the same in thickness.
Second picture, That is actually quite a bias picture. It is taken a bit from the front. As we all well know, the canine will look smaller at such a angle. But even with the cherry picking, i cant see a difference.
Third picture, No difference.
Fourth picture, cant see anything and the lions skull is very big anyways.
Also, i can cherry pick too. Look:

Bro theres more, just ran into this one  clearly shows what that expert was sayin, the lion tooth is thicker an shorter

An you tell me which one of the above teeth is going to break first under pressure  gonna be the longer one man

1 user Likes Garfield's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Lion

1 user Likes Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Lion

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

(12-31-2017, 03:30 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(12-31-2017, 01:21 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: @Pckts

The tiger is the only big cat species who possesses this morphological trait that differed from other pantherine members.

Maybe it has to do with the evolutionary trait, since the tiger is a pantherine cat who was purely originated in Asia, while the lion-leopard-jaguar group's ultimate origin was always in Africa. Since their common ancestor was evolved in the vast savanna in Africa, so the sense of smell might play a bigger role.

But even so, you would think that an Indian or Amur Leopards would show the same evolutionary traits since they have inhabited the same territories as the tiger for long enough to show convergent evolution.
I wonder if said sub species differ in the nasal and canine department compared to their African counterparts. I'd specifically be interested in Asiatic Lions and Sri Lankan Leopards as well.

Normally the nasal opening would broaden if they were in a high-altitude area (more oxygen needed), and Nepal and west China is a very great example of this. It shows in the giant nasal area of the Snow Leopard. Nepal is a pretty frigid and open area too, so humidity is easily solidified.

But I don't know why the tigers' nasal openings are less broad relative to other cats openings. Tigers (with the exception of Nepalese ones) mainly live in mid-to-low altitude, closed-space areas with plenty of moisture (forests, marshes, etc) while lions live in open areas of less moisture (dry rocklands, deserts, grasslands) and they might need wider nasal openings to counteract their environment.

Maybe with more moisture, the senses are less needed (since wet things permeate more than dry things), and the nasal opening decreases and vice-versa? I don't know, just my two cents.
1 user Likes Polar's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Lion

Taiwan Betty Offline

Lion

Taiwan Betty Offline

Lion

Taiwan Betty Offline

Lion

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 12-31-2017, 09:47 AM by paul cooper )

(12-31-2017, 09:30 AM)Garfield Wrote:
(12-31-2017, 09:07 AM)paul cooper Wrote:
(12-31-2017, 08:16 AM)Garfield Wrote:
(12-31-2017, 06:48 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(12-31-2017, 05:59 AM)Garfield Wrote: Ok guys, but remember not sayin the other data is wrong, but um trustin a zoologist over just anyone, an it was 40 different lion skulls where this dude measured the teeth, not just a dozen. An not sure if anyone has a bunch of Kruger lions teeth on here either, or those big guys from the Craters.  Again could be true u guys gut some thicker tiger teeth, ok, but you's can't prove it wrong the other guy doesn't have real measurements of thicker lion teeth either.
As for that zoologist, I got back to a lion dude, an he don't have the original site where it said Leeds, but they claim its legit an it said fo sure, so all we gut is Tiger Territory, owner talks about a zoologist she hired on it, you can see it here, so thats at least legit.  So this what I gut for now, http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict.html
An to make the tiger bros happy, this dude ain't fake, I saw where he thinks from his own research that the tiger is 47lbs heavier on average than the lion.  So check that out, u guys should like that, its his own research, Ill try to find that for yas.

Well, peter's knowledge in based on the real measurement, not armchair expertise.

He did measure some really large male lion skulls, but its canine teeth are not exceptional compared to that of the tiger.

BTW, I would be gleeful to see if we could manage to find some exceptional sized lion canine teeth.

Bro u cant just go on this site, you check out some other places an bam, you run into just what that zoologist was sayin.

Lion on right    has thicker teeth  tiger longer

Actually not sure bout this one but both look pretty good

Lion on the bottom siberian on the top 

cant see teeth to good here but lion teeth on the left look thicker from here

This is just a few there's a lot more than this

None of these pictures show anything
First picture, I can hardly even see the teeth. But they look the same in thickness.
Second picture, That is actually quite a bias picture. It is taken a bit from the front. As we all well know, the canine will look smaller at such a angle. But even with the cherry picking, i cant see a difference.
Third picture, No difference.
Fourth picture, cant see anything and the lions skull is very big anyways.
Also, i can cherry pick too. Look:

Bro theres more, just ran into this one  clearly shows what that expert was sayin, the lion tooth is thicker an shorter

An you tell me which one of the above teeth is going to break first under pressure  gonna be the longer one man

@Garfield
And yet again, that picture doesnt show the lion having thicker canines.

"break first under pressure  gonna be the longer one man"
Hmm, that is an estimate "that we never broke", and not just that, but how come the sabertooth is just as strong as a tiger?..
1 user Likes paul cooper's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Lion

Taiwan Betty Offline

Lion

Taiwan Betty Offline

Lion

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-31-2017, 09:52 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(12-31-2017, 09:09 AM)Betty Wrote: African lion

Some of these canine teeth I have posted it before, and tigerluver and I had made some skull reconstructions.

The 12 cm canine can fit into a 40 cm African lion skull, and 38 cm for a Barbary lion skull.

5 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post