There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Size comparisons

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-26-2019, 11:59 AM by Luipaard )

(08-26-2019, 03:52 AM)Styx38 Wrote:

@Luipaard and @BorneanTiger For this video at 0:53, Joe asks whether Leopards are bigger than Jaguars, and Forrest mentions that Leopards are bigger rather than clarifying the difference of subspecies.

This  lead to the typical "Actually Jaguars are bigger" comments there, as well as people questioning Forrest's knowledge in biology.

They're looking at the Mexican jaguar, calling it "huge" and being "200lb+" which are both wrong; they're not huge and weigh around 50kg (110lb).

But when asking which is bigger, in this case it is indeed the leopard overall since they're not talking about which subspecies but still are comparing it with this particular Mexican jaguar.

That's why this subject is so interesting; they overlap in size and weight which leads to such discussions. For example, I could claim that Indian leopards are bigger than Peruvian jaguars since 2 Peruvian Amazon males weighed 31 and 37kg. In this case I'm correct but when asking overall who's the bigger cat, it's the jaguar.

I'm just against the general people claiming things like "jaguars are twice as big as a leopard"/ "jaguars weigh 100kg, leopards only 65kg"/ "jaguars are leopards on steroids". The reality is that the difference between them is closer than people really think.
1 user Likes Luipaard's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-26-2019, 08:00 PM by Shadow )

(08-26-2019, 11:54 AM)Luipaard Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 03:52 AM)Styx38 Wrote:

@Luipaard and @BorneanTiger For this video at 0:53, Joe asks whether Leopards are bigger than Jaguars, and Forrest mentions that Leopards are bigger rather than clarifying the difference of subspecies.

This  lead to the typical "Actually Jaguars are bigger" comments there, as well as people questioning Forrest's knowledge in biology.

They're looking at the Mexican jaguar, calling it "huge" and being "200lb+" which are both wrong; they're not huge and weigh around 50kg (110lb).

But when asking which is bigger, in this case it is indeed the leopard overall since they're not talking about which subspecies but still are comparing it with this particular Mexican jaguar.

That's why this subject is so interesting; they overlap in size and weight which leads to such discussions. For example, I could claim that Indian leopards are bigger than Peruvian jaguars since 2 Peruvian Amazon males weighed 31 and 37kg. In this case I'm correct but when asking overall who's the bigger cat, it's the jaguar.

I'm just against the general people claiming things like "jaguars are twice as big as a leopard"/ "jaguars weigh 100kg, leopards only 65kg"/ "jaguars are leopards on steroids". The reality is that the difference between them is closer than people really think.

This Joe Rogan program is never a good source for any facts :) I have watched some clips but it´s always the same, facts and fiction are mixed there and sloppy statements. Like now this Forrest Galante said, that leopards would be bigger and he said it after Joe Rogan was talking about 200 lbs Jaguars. That alone tells about quality of that.... is that "Joe Rogan show" or whatever. Also undermines credibility of this Forrest Galante as professional if he really is a biologist. 

Maybe it is that environment (studio with Rogan) and status which Joe Rogan has as an celebrity in USA which make people to get nervous and give odd statements. That show is more like some people in pub talking this and that and not paying too much attention what they say, so in a brief moment they can say things, which they wouldn´t say again after some consideration. Of course if someone is for instance marine biologist, they can have wrong impressions about terrestrial animals. We have also these quite low quality "documentaries" like Animal face-off etc. from past, which were only sloppy entertainment for kids, most probably catching viewers and money from advertisers. Same as that megalodon crap from shark week.

Anyway yes, overlapping is a fact what comes to size and weight of jaguars and leopards. Another fact is, that after seeing this program, obviously Forrest Galante gave a good reason for people to ask, that does he know about what he is talking about, because in that program he said himself a statement, which is against common knowledge and I have never seen any big cat expert saying that. Obviously he isn´t a big cat expert.
3 users Like Shadow's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

@Shadow I fully agree.

Anyway, size difference between a male leopard and a (young?) female in Gabon:

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Luipaard's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-27-2019, 04:47 AM by peter )

(08-24-2019, 03:44 PM)Luipaard Wrote: From The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society by W. S. Millard and R. A. Spence (date of publication 1st July 1920) (source)

RECORD PANTHER SKULL (F. PARDUS.)

Through Mr. Eugene J. Van Ingen, the Society recently received the skull of a Panther which in dimension easily establishes a record for India. The animal was obtained by Mr. E. E. Limouzin of Dunsandle Estate, Ootacamund, in the Water Fall Shola.
In forwarding the skull Mr. Van Ingen writes:-
"I send here with the skull and ribs of a Panther (?). As the skull seems abnormally large and more like a tiger's, I should be extremely obliged, if you would examine it and tell me whether it is a tiger's or a panther's.
I may mention that the owner, Mr. E. E. Limouzin of Dunsandli Estate, Ootacamund, declares it to be a Panther's but yet is not quite sure about it. While out shooting he caught a glimpse of the animal, late in the evening about dusk, and wounded and lost it. It was found some days afterwards but by then decomposition had set in and vultures and jackals had destroyed the skin; the skeleton and skull remained together with strips of skin, and Mr. Limouzin examined what he found of the latter carefully and is positive the animal is a panther.

Yet I think the skull seems to be quite out of proportion with the ribs and Mr. L. remarked the same. He tells me that he had seen this panther previously on several occasions, and had examined him through his glasses and though his head and fore quarters seemed to be extremely large and powerfully built, the body and hind quarters seemed to dwindle away! Before this, in fact almost a year ago, Col. W. told me that he had seen a panther a few miles from Dunsandli, and he described its head, chest and forearms to have been enormous. It was standing on a rock 20 yards away looking down at him and Col. W., who has shot many panthers, claimed it to be the largest he had ever seen. He quite believes this animal of Mr. Limouzin to be the one seen by him.
Another reason Mr. Limouzin gives by which he is positive is that a few minutes previous to coming on to the Panther he heard the unmistakable call of a panther.
I much regret that I did not send you on of the claws, nearly all of which Mr. Lisonzin recovered. They are quite the size of a large tigress. As regards the skull, in the course of my profession I have seen many panther skulls; many of them belonging to animals well of 7 ft. but none anywhere approaching this one in size."
Writing later Mr. Limouzin says: By to-day's Mail I have sent the entire skeleton of the panther to your care (with the exception of one rib, smashed to bits by the bullet and another rib, broken, possibly by the explosion internally). Before I fired at the panther I was very much struck with the extraordinary size of his head and shoulders, he appeared to be immense, but unfortunately he jumped aside and I was only able to get a "snapshot" at his side going down hill, from me."

The skull sent is undoubtedly that of an adult Panther. The skull sent in by Mr. Van Ingen measures as follows:-

The largest speciment in the Society's collection measures 8.3" in basal length and is 5.9" wide across the zygomata. This animal is taped 7'.3".
Blandford in his Mammalia, writing on the points of distinction between the skulls of Tigers and Panthers say:-

"The upper surface of the skull (Panther) is arched as in the Tiger, but the lower jaw is convex beneath, as in the Lion, the cordyle being proportionately nearer the angle even than in the latter. When a Leopard's skull, with the mandible attached, is placed on a flat surface, the hinder part of the skull almost always touched that surface".
We publish for comparison a photograph of Mr. Limouzin's panther together with a photo of a tiger's skull and that of the largest Panther skull in the Society's collection. Also a Lion's skull.

LUIPAARD

There was quite a debate about this skull in the Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. In the end, it was concluded that the skull of Mr. Limouzin belonged to a tigress. 

Large leopards have been shot and measured in India though.  

Some time ago, I posted about a book written by Lt.-Col. M.M. Ismael ('Call of the tiger', London, 1964). One of the chapters ('The old tiger and the big leopard of Magardeh', pp. 94-147) is about an alliance between a very old tiger and a large male leopard. Ismael shot the leopard:

" ... I have never seen a leopard of that size and build. Later when I measured him he was 7 feet 10 inches between pegs, which is almost as big as a tigress. He had a massive head and a heavy and powerfully built body ... " (Ismael, pp. 136). 

I also posted about a large male leopard shot in India not so long ago. That male, well over 8 feet in total length measured 'over curves', was 85 kg. (188 pounds).  

CHUI

Very interesting posts on the size of exceptional leopards. Appreciated. I knew about your table (got it from our member 'Luipaard'), but never saw a skull exceeding 245 mm. in greatest total length in natural history museums. Same for private collections. My guess is most skulls of exceptional individuals are in private collections. Same for tigers, so it seems. 

Sexual dimorphism seems to be quite outspoken in leopards. Same for individual variation. Any idea as to the reasons?
3 users Like peter's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 08-26-2019, 08:09 PM by GuateGojira )

(08-25-2019, 10:26 PM)chui_ Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 08:26 PM)GuateGojira Wrote: I will add something in this point. I had a direct conversation with Dr Hoogesteijn about the weight of the large jaguar of 148 kg. He mention that he used bait to capture him, so I told him that probably the weight of the animal was between 130 - 140 kg, however he corrected me and he told me that they used chickens to attract the jaguars so he personally told me that the amount eat by the jaguar was only about 4-5 kg, so the empty belly weight of that Pantanal jaguar was probably of no less than 143 kg, based on this evidence. As far I know, this is still the scientific record of any jaguar in the world.

In my exchange with Dr Hoogensteijn he stated that the huge 148kg jaguar had approx 10-15kg of meat in the stomach which would indicate an empty stomach weight of around 133-138kg (around 300lbs basically). The capture of this jaguar was also recorded on video which was on youtube where the researchers clearly state he appeared fat, having just eaten, although not fully gorged. Given that observation and what we know about the weights of jaguars, an empty stomach weight of 143kg seems unlikely IMO. 

In any case, a jaguar of 130kg or more should be considered very exceptional considering it will be over 30% heavier than the mean for the largest populations, equivalent to a 260kg+ lion. It’s important to note that the most comprehensive data on the weights of Pantanal jaguars comes from Tony Almeida, who measured nearly 50 adult male jaguars over a span of 2 decades in the Pantanal yet none of them reached 130kgs. He was particularly careful with important variables such as stomach content, accuracy of the weighing scale, and weighing the animal immediately after death.

Quote:On the leopard side, we have may samples from many countries, to be fair the sample from Central Africa is very poor and large skulls from the area suggest big animals, but are not bigger than those from Persia region. Leopards from 90 kg has been reported from South Africa, but included stomach content (Sunquist & Sunquist, 2002) and as far I know the heaviest leopards came from Iran with a maximum of 91 kg. I don't know if they bait the leopards to be honest, but remember that they can also use the snare method to campture them. Dr Farhadinia says that based in his studies the leopards of Iran are the largest of the world in this moment. From here came the record of the leopard of 115 kg which was exceptional in any sence as any leopard in hunting or sceintific records, reached that weight, but if includes stomach contect or not, it is not reported and I see that some people do not belive on it, althought it was confirmed by scientists. If we use the scientific records as base, between 70 to 80 kg is already a large male leopard and few animals surpass that range, if we exclude stomach content. I have a record from a leopard in India of over 80 kg, but Dr Atreya says that includes stomach content. The heaviest leopard on records, appart from the big male from Iran, is a male from Namibia that weighed 96 kg, apparently with no stomach content (Brain, 1981). From a sample of 77 males of diferent areas the heaviest male was of 71.3 kg from Zimbabwe, but to be fair the figures of Kruger NP just includes averages and the extremes, which I rememeber was more than 70 kg. 

The part in the Sunquists' book about 90kg leopards was in reference to Peter Turnbull-Kemp's statement (in fact the same page I posted in my above post) - he stated that he was aware of 7 records of leopards recorded at over 200lbs which he considered reliable but that only one was confirmed to be with empty stomach, 3 had at least some food in the stomach, and no info was available on the stomach content of the remaining 3. No where did he say that any of these leopards were from South Africa or that South African leopards are particularly big. The biggest leopard he ever saw was actually from Cameroon at 8'5" long between pegs but was not weighed it seems. His opinion was that leopards are biggest in the equatorial forests of Africa (he worked as a game warden in Nigeria, Sudan, South Africa, and Zimbabwe). Also note that his book is from 1967 - a lot more data on the weights of leopards has been recorded since of course (for example the 211lb live Namibian leopard and the 204lb hunted leopard from Mount Kenya were recorded after his book) .

A lot of the leopards in the published sample (mean 65.8kg, n21) from Iran were not live captured animals but were actually leopards which were found killed - caught in poachers snares, shot by farmers, killed in road kills etc. So capturing method is mostly irrelevant. IMO the 115kg weight is probably an error but it doesn't really matter because it was excluded from the dataset anyway by Dr Farhadinia.

1- About the weight of the 148 kg Jaguar:
I had many conversations  with Dr Rafael Hoogesteijn and I can tell you that he personally told me that the bait was no more than 4-5 kg and here is his email:

The email is in Spanish, but as you can see, I also told him that the weight "empty" was probably of about 130 kg, but he corrected me. Also, if in the video (which I had saw and posted here in the past) says that it appeared fat, in any case mention that it was gorged, or full or anything, it just mention "fat" and that is all (certainly I will see the video again). If De Almeida (a very accurate observer) did not found any jaguar larger than 120 kg, that doesn't mean that in modern times bigger jaguars do not exist, exceptional or not, so the record of c.140 kg "empty, at least" stands very well for Pantanal jaguars.

2- Sunquist and the leopards of South Africa:
I don't have the original document of Peter Turnbull-Kemp, so I just quoted what Sunquist & Sunquist (2002). However I remembered that they say "South Africa" but I was just quoting from memory and now that I checked they just say "African male leopards" overall:

So my mistake. Actually is Nowell & Jackson (1996) who said that leopards in South Africa, specifically in Kruger NP, weighed over 91 kg:

There is a tendency in popular litterature that leopards in South Africa did reached the 90 kg, but based in your statements this is without justification.

3- On the Persian leopards:
I checked the document "Patterns of sexual dimorphism in the Persian Leopard (Panthera pardus saxicolor) and implications for sex differentiation" and I could not found any reference that the measurements and weights were taken from specimens that were killed. I think is posible as it says that they use several sources, but can you show the confirmation of your specific statements please? Now, about the method of capture, I mentioned because, as you can see, the other posters are debating about the reliability of the records from Iran, so I clearly stated that I don't know the capture methods and I guess that those captured where with snares, after all in my conversations with Dr Farhadinia I just asked him about the measuring methods, not about the origin of the specimens.

Finally, about the 115 kg leopard, they vouched that is correct and confirmed but was excluded from the analisys just because is an exceptional figure. However, I see a discrepancy in the pictures, the first two shows a relatively large specimen but the third one shows a very small one:

I this record reliable? I think it is as it is accepted by the experts in Iran, but it did included stomach content? I don't know, yet.
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Canada chui_ Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-27-2019, 09:48 PM by chui_ )

(08-26-2019, 08:06 PM)GuateGojira Wrote: 2- Sunquist and the leopards of South Africa:
I don't have the original document of Peter Turnbull-Kemp, so I just quoted what Sunquist & Sunquist (2002). However I remembered that they say "South Africa" but I was just quoting from memory and now that I checked they just say "African male leopards" overall:

So my mistake. Actually is Nowell & Jackson (1996) who said that leopards in South Africa, specifically in Kruger NP, weighed over 91 kg:

There is a tendency in popular litterature that leopards in South Africa did reached the 90 kg, but based in your statements this is without justification.

Hello GuateGojira

You can see the source for their statement about 90kg+ African leopards as indicated by the number 14 is Turnbull-Kemp’s 1967 book. However, they have slightly misquoted him, he did not say that most of those leopards had full stomachs. As I pointed out in my last post and as can be seen from the scan of the book, he said of the 7 records he considered reliable, 3 had at least some food in the stomach (not that they had full stomachs), for 3 he had no info on stomach content, and 1 was with empty stomach.  Although, an excellent resource overall, there are some errors in Sunquist’s book, but that can be forgiven considering how comprehensive it is. But it is always best to go to the original source when possible.

Unfortunately, Turnbull-Kemp did not provide specifics of the 7 records he was referring to so it would be hard to verify them. The only 200lb+ leopard I know of which was recorded before 1967 and thus may have been one of the 7 he’s talking about is the 212lb leopard shot by G. Munn on Mt Kenya in 1964 – this leopard had the biggest skull from Kenya recorded in Rowland Ward with a total score of 18.75”.  It is the heaviest weight recorded for a leopard I consider reliable. All other leopards weighed around 200lbs or more I know of were recorded after 1967 and therefore would be different specimens than the ones Turnbull-Kemp was talking about.

The confusion about those 90kg+ leopards being from South Africa (Kruger specifically) possibly comes from Ted Bailey’s excellent book, The African Leopard (based on his research in Kruger NP). In the book Bailey makes mention of Turnbull-Kemp’s statement about 90kg+ leopards while discussing the size of Kruger leopards he had collared. It’s possible some researcher’s while reading this book may have mistakenly assumed that the statement referred to Kruger leopards specifically since that was the main topic of the book and also becuase Turnbull-Kemp did work in Kruger NP as well.

The greatest weight I know of for a Kruger leopard is 201lb, for a specimen captured alive by chief game warden Bruce Bryden. It was mentioned in the book, Country Boy in Africa by George Hoffman. No idea about stomach content. There are couple other reliable records around 85-90kg from Kruger or nearby areas but in my opinion 80kg (around 30% greater than average) would be the normal max for a Kruger leopard (equivalent to a 130kg Pantanal jaguar). Anything over would be very exceptional and probably with some stomach fill. They get bigger in other places IMO.

Quote:1- About the weight of the 148 kg Jaguar:
I had many conversations  with Dr Rafael Hoogesteijn and I can tell you that he personally told me that the bait was no more than 4-5 kg and here is his email:

The email is in Spanish, but as you can see, I also told him that the weight "empty" was probably of about 130 kg, but he corrected me. Also, if in the video (which I had saw and posted here in the past) says that it appeared fat, in any case mention that it was gorged, or full or anything, it just mention "fat" and that is all (certainly I will see the video again). If De Almeida (a very accurate observer) did not found any jaguar larger than 120 kg, that doesn't mean that in modern times bigger jaguars do not exist, exceptional or not, so the record of c.140 kg "empty, at least" stands very well for Pantanal jaguars. 

As can be clearly seen from the dates of the emails, Dr. Hoojensteijn told me (in 2016) after he had the discussion with you (in 2015) that 10-15kg could be subtracted for meat in the stomach (I simply asked him if it was empty stomach or not – I did not try to tell him what the empty stomach weight should be because I am in no position to tell him). So I don’t see why we must assume it was only 4-5kg since he has also stated up to 15kg, he’s obviously not too sure. We will probably never know exactly how much meat that jag had in the stomach as even those who weighed him can only speculate and arguing about that seems pointless. But in my opinion, with everything I have read on the subject, an empty stomach weight of 140kg is very extreme for a jaguar (Tony Almeida was even more conservative, he suggested absolute max of 130kg with empty stomach, 150kg with full stomach).

I never said jaguar’s beyond Almeida’s recorded max of 119kg can’t exist. They probably do but the point is they would be pretty exceptional, definitely beyond 130kg, very exceptional. But if you look at online discussions people seem to think every other big male in the Pantanal is 140 or 150kg.

Quote:Very interesting posts on the size of exceptional leopards. Appreciated. I knew about your table (got it from our member 'Luipaard'), but never saw a skull exceeding 245 mm. in greatest total length in natural history museums. Same for private collections. My guess is most skulls of exceptional individuals are in private collections. Same for tigers, so it seems. 

Sexual dimorphism in leopards seems to be quite outspoken in leopards. Same for individual variation. Any idea as to the reasons?

Hello Peter

Most of those skulls including the very largest one are from museum collections – all are from scientific publications.  Point is there are plenty of leopard skulls over 270mm in length or 17” total score (without even going into hunting records).

The extreme sexual dimorphism in leopards would be due to a combination of intense inter male competition for mating along with more pronounced resource partitioning between the sexes. I think especially the latter, in Kruger for example, both males and females mostly prey on impala but the second most important prey for males is warthogs while for females it is duikers. Suids such as warthogs, bushpig, red river hogs, wild boar require long grueling struggles to take down requiring greater strength and size than is needed for even similar sized nimble prey. In Gabon, there are no impalas or anything similar, so it seems males have shifted more exclusively to suids (red river hogs) and females to smaller duikers – this seems to have lead to even more extreme sexual dimorphism. Males in Gabon often completely dwarf the females, they look like they’re 2-3x as big.

In contrast, the relatively lower sexual dimorphism in jaguars is probably due to both reduced male to male competition and lack of resource partitioning between the sexes (males and females hunt the same prey mostly). Interestingly, male jaguars also completely lack any distinct secondary sex traits which are present in the other 3 big pantherines. The male lion of course has the mane, male leopards have dewlaps, and even male tigers have ruffs which are usually bigger than those of females. These features probably all help males signal their quality to potential rivals and mates – this is important when competition is intense for mating. The lion’s mane and the male leopard’s dewlap may also offer some protection during fights.
4 users Like chui_'s post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 08-26-2019, 11:56 PM by GuateGojira )

(08-26-2019, 11:39 PM)chui_ Wrote: Hello GuateGojira

You can see the source for their statement about 90kg+ African leopards as indicated by the number 14 is Turnbull-Kemp’s 1967 book. However, they have slightly misquoted him, he did not say that most of those leopards had full stomachs. As I pointed out in my last post and as can be seen from the scan of the book, he said of the 7 records he considered reliable, 3 had at least some food in the stomach (not that they had full stomachs), for 3 he had no info on stomach content, and 1 was with empty stomach.  Although, an excellent resource overall, there are some errors in Sunquist’s book, but that can be forgiven considering how comprehensive it is. But it is always best to go to the original source when possible.

Unfortunately, Turnbull-Kemp did not provide specifics of the 7 records he was referring to so it would be hard to verify them. The only 200lb+ leopard I know of which was recorded before 1967 and thus may have been one of the 7 he’s talking about is the 212lb leopard shot by G. Munn on Mt Kenya in 1964 – this leopard had the biggest skull from Kenya recorded in Rowland Ward with a total score of 18.75”.  It is the heaviest weight recorded for a leopard I consider reliable. All other leopards weighed around 200lbs or more I know of were recorded after 1967 and therefore would be different specimens than the ones Turnbull-Kemp was talking about.

The confusion about those 90kg+ leopards being from South Africa (Kruger specifically) possibly comes from Ted Bailey’s excellent book, The African Leopard (based on his research in Kruger NP). In the book Bailey makes mention of Turnbull-Kemp’s statement about 90kg+ leopards while discussing the size of Kruger leopards he had collared. It’s possible some researcher’s while reading this book may have mistakenly assumed that the statement referred to Kruger leopards specifically since that was the main topic of the book and also becuase Turnbull-Kemp did work in Kruger NP as well.

The greatest weight I know of for a Kruger leopard is 201lb, for a specimen captured alive by chief game warden Bruce Bryden. It was mentioned in the book, Country Boy in Africa by George Hoffman. No idea about stomach content. There are couple other reliable records around 85-90kg from Kruger or nearby areas but in my opinion 80kg (around 30% greater than average) would be the normal max for a Kruger leopard (equivalent to a 130kg Pantanal jaguar). Anything over would be very exceptional and probably with some stomach fill. They get bigger in other places IMO.

Quote:1- About the weight of the 148 kg Jaguar:

As can be clearly seen from the dates of the emails, Dr. Hoojensteijn told me (in 2016) after he had the discussion with you (in 2015) that 10-15kg could be subtracted for meat in the stomach (I simply asked him if it was empty stomach or not – I did not try to tell him what the empty stomach weight should be because I am in no position to tell him). So I don’t see why we must assume it was only 4-5kg since he has also stated up to 15kg, he’s obviously not too sure. We will probably never know exactly how much meat that jag had in the stomach as even those who weighed him can only speculate and arguing about that seems pointless. But in my opinion, with everything I have read on the subject, an empty stomach weight of 140kg is very extreme for a jaguar (Tony Almeida was even more conservative, he suggested absolute max of 130kg with empty stomach, 150kg with full stomach).

I never said jaguar’s beyond Almeida’s recorded max of 119kg can’t exist. They probably do but the point is they would be pretty exceptional, definitely beyond 130kg, very exceptional. But if you look at online discussions people seem to think every other big male in the Pantanal is 140 or 150kg.
Very interesting information about the leopard studies, thank you for sharing that. So it seems that it was a confusion between sources and areas. Now, we have a better clarification of the case. When you make a book with such a huge quantity of sources, like those books of Sunquist & Sunquist of Nowell & Jackson, there are many posiblities of errors, but like you say, we need to understant that there is a great effort in the making of these big books and so we can can be forgiven this errors.

About the stomach content of the jaguar, I originally estimated a weight of about 130 kg empty, also based in De Almeida, but after the conversation with Dr Hoojensteijn I returned with the figure of 143 kg, but I will double check with him again, just to see which is his final opinion now at 2019.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-27-2019, 12:35 AM by Luipaard )

@peter 

Quote:There was quite a debate about this skull in the Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. In the end, it was concluded that the skull of Mr. Limouzin belonged to a tigress

Do you have any prove for that? I received the link of Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society from a very knowledgeable person and he questions if it's a tigress although he does admit:
Quote:It could be there are many strange skulls. keep in mind that skulls of big cats are extremely variable and sometime overlap phonologically - some leopards are lion-like, some more like tigers, the same of the jaguars , also some tiger skulls look like lions - what is written in the books and publications is simplified, reality is a lot more complex.

Also the overlap of the size is not important - the overlap of morphology is the issue:

This is an amur tiger, captive but still a tiger
3 users Like Luipaard's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Quote:I never said jaguar’s beyond Almeida’s recorded max of 119kg can’t exist. They probably do but the point is they would be pretty exceptional, definitely beyond 130kg, very exceptional. But if you look at online discussions people seem to think every other big male in the Pantanal is 140 or 150kg. 
Jaguars in the Pantanal easily get over 130kg, Adriano is a 130kg Jaguar measured by Panthera and when discussing him with Paulo, Paulo said there are a few that are definitely larger than he is, I saw a couple with my own eyes.
Jaguars and especially Caiman were hunted to near extinction and are still hunted but not nearly to the extent they were in the past. They were literally killing Caiman by the 100s of 1000s each year and the Jaguars suffered right along side. 
Also to note is that Panthera captures Jaguars on their private land which is flat and further away from the 3 rivers meeting point where you have the largest Caiman and Jaguars. It's also shown to be true since you have the highest density of Caiman and Jaguar there as well. Up to 65 adult individuals ID'd in this area alone. Can some Jaguar travel too and from the Panthera farm to the Meeting of the 3 rivers, of course. But regardless, the resident Males in the meeting of the 3 Rivers are the biggest and strongest Jaguars in the Pantanal and that is including North or South. 
Marley, the male I've mentioned before is an Outlier, he's smaller and was born and raised in the Pantanal, he never left. Almost all young Jaguars are kicked out of the Meeting of the 3 rivers and never seen again, it's a place that only the strongest males survive.

I've seen large Leopards in person, I'm fairly confident in my estimations and I think I have enough experience to make a valid claim. The largest Leopard I've seen would probably be in that 70-80kg mark but in no way does it compare to Marley, the smaller Male Jaguar I spoke of earlier. But assuming Marley is the average 100kg Jaguar I can guarantee there are many Jaguars in N. Pantanal that are much larger than he is, I don't know if they all are 130kg+ but I know a few that I've seen are. Jaguars always look full, they are extremely stocky Cats with huge heads, the only time you'll ever see them looking "empty" is usually after an injury when hunting is tough. But more common they will be full to the brim but they are still extremely active, the most active cat I've viewed to date to be honest and even when you think they are "full" they are still out on the hunt so obviously they're hungry still. 
 142kg Jaguar weighed, caught via snare trap

In regards to Cattle Kills, in the Pantanal some cattle is of course killed, but it's usually during the floods and it's actually females that are the more common culprit, usually females with cubs to be more specific. But nothing comes close to the Caiman, Caiman are by  far the most predated animal in the N. Pantanal and there is direct correlation to Caiman number increases contributing to Jaguar number increases. 

Quote:In contrast, the relatively lower sexual dimorphism in jaguars is probably due to both reduced male to male competition and lack of resource partitioning between the sexes (males and females hunt the same prey mostly). Interestingly, male jaguars also completely lack any distinct secondary sex traits which are present in the other 3 big pantherines. The male lion of course has the mane, male leopards have dewlaps, and even male tigers have ruffs which are usually bigger than those of females. These features probably all help males signal their quality to potential rivals and mates – this is important when competition is intense for mating. The lion’s mane and the male leopard’s dewlap probably also offer protection during fights.

Competition in the Pantanal is unlike any other place on earth that I've seen for Wild Big Cats. There is a reason why Jaguars leave and never return and the ones that do are massive and must come in right away and fight off all others in the area. 
Jaguar males are larger and have a much denser skull and body when compared to females. They also have a more "grumpy looking face," they almost look like their eyes are closed, their head is just filled with muscle and it causes them to squint almost. The Females are also very impressive in the Pantanal, that is due to the massive amount of prey available to them and the relative ease in which they can catch it. But like all big cats, I've seen huge males that would dwarf smaller females and I saw huge females that were almost the size of smaller males, even 1 female who I'd wager was as large as Marley, the smaller male.
Sexual Dimorphism is ever present there just like it is in all locations, just not to the extent you'd see even in Los Llanos, But that is only because Los Llanos has similar sized males but the females are a decent amount smaller.
But since both Male and Female in the Pantanal hunt similar sized Caiman and Capyvara for the most part you see the females starting to become larger. You even see this in Kanha, both my self and @Pantherinae have seen the largest females Cats in the wild there, but @Pantherinae said he thought the males were similar sized to males he'd seen elsewhere, I didn't have the same opinion as him when it came to the Males but with out a doubt the females there are huge. Kanha, like the Pantanal is a unique place with certain factors that contributes to a larger cat and some of those factors must benefit females even more so than Males. Or at least females have more room to grow while a Large male usually can be a large male no matter the location, but the abundance of large males seems to be location dependent.
4 users Like Pckts's post

Canada chui_ Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2019, 07:48 AM by Rishi )

(08-27-2019, 01:01 AM)Pckts Wrote: Jaguars in the Pantanal easily get over 130kg, Adriano is a 130kg Jaguar measured by Panthera and when discussing him with Paulo, Paulo said there are a few that are definitely larger than he is, I saw a couple with my own eyes.
Jaguars and especially Caiman were hunted to near extinction and are still hunted but not nearly to the extent they were in the past. They were literally killing Caiman by the 100s of 1000s each year and the Jaguars suffered right along side. 
Also to note is that Panthera captures Jaguars on their private land which is flat and further away from the 3 rivers meeting point where you have the largest Caiman and Jaguars. It's also shown to be true since you have the highest density of Caiman and Jaguar there as well. Up to 65 adult individuals ID'd in this area alone. Can some Jaguar travel too and from the Panthera farm to the Meeting of the 3 rivers, of course. But regardless, the resident Males in the meeting of the 3 Rivers are the biggest and strongest Jaguars in the Pantanal and that is including North or South. 
Marley, the male I've mentioned before is an Outlier, he's smaller and was born and raised in the Pantanal, he never left. Almost all young Jaguars are kicked out of the Meeting of the 3 rivers and never seen again, it's a place that only the strongest males survive.

I've seen large Leopards in person, I'm fairly confident in my estimations and I think I have enough experience to make a valid claim. The largest Leopard I've seen would probably be in that 70-80kg mark but in no way does it compare to Marley, the smaller Male Jaguar I spoke of earlier. But assuming Marley is the average 100kg Jaguar I can guarantee there are many Jaguars in N. Pantanal that are much larger than he is, I don't know if they all are 130kg+ but I know a few that I've seen are. Jaguars always look full, they are extremely stocky Cats with huge heads, the only time you'll ever see them looking "empty" is usually after an injury when hunting is tough. But more common they will be full to the brim but they are still extremely active, the most active cat I've viewed to date to be honest and even when you think they are "full" they are still out on the hunt so obviously they're hungry still. 
 142kg Jaguar weighed, caught via snare trap

In regards to Cattle Kills, in the Pantanal some cattle is of course killed, but it's usually during the floods and it's actually females that are the more common culprit, usually females with cubs to be more specific. But nothing comes close to the Caiman, Caiman are by  far the most predated animal in the N. Pantanal and there is direct correlation to Caiman number increases contributing to Jaguar number increases. 

Quote:In contrast, the relatively lower sexual dimorphism in jaguars is probably due to both reduced male to male competition and lack of resource partitioning between the sexes (males and females hunt the same prey mostly). Interestingly, male jaguars also completely lack any distinct secondary sex traits which are present in the other 3 big pantherines. The male lion of course has the mane, male leopards have dewlaps, and even male tigers have ruffs which are usually bigger than those of females. These features probably all help males signal their quality to potential rivals and mates – this is important when competition is intense for mating. The lion’s mane and the male leopard’s dewlap probably also offer protection during fights.

Competition in the Pantanal is unlike any other place on earth that I've seen for Wild Big Cats. There is a reason why Jaguars leave and never return and the ones that do are massive and must come in right away and fight off all others in the area. 
Jaguar males are larger and have a much denser skull and body when compared to females. They also have a more "grumpy looking face," they almost look like their eyes are closed, their head is just filled with muscle and it causes them to squint almost. The Females are also very impressive in the Pantanal, that is due to the massive amount of prey available to them and the relative ease in which they can catch it. But like all big cats, I've seen huge males that would dwarf smaller females and I saw huge females that were almost the size of smaller males, even 1 female who I'd wager was as large as Marley, the smaller male.
Sexual Dimorphism is ever present there just like it is in all locations, just not to the extent you'd see even in Los Llanos, But that is only because Los Llanos has similar sized males but the females are a decent amount smaller.
But since both Male and Female in the Pantanal hunt similar sized Caiman and Capyvara for the most part you see the females starting to become larger. You even see this in Kanha, both my self and @Pantherinae have seen the largest females Cats in the wild there, but @Pantherinae said he thought the males were similar sized to males he'd seen elsewhere, I didn't have the same opinion as him when it came to the Males but with out a doubt the females there are huge. Kanha, like the Pantanal is a unique place with certain factors that contributes to a larger cat and some of those factors must benefit females even more so than Males. Or at least females have more room to grow while a Large male usually can be a large male no matter the location, but the abundance of large males seems to be location dependent.

Where do I begin.

The video you've posted of the jaguar being weighed shows the same specimen we were talking about above. It was apparently weighed at 315lb (143kg) but then they said someone was holding the head so they added 5kg to account for that to get to 148kg. But they did not subtract for stomach content!

The video you posted is edited and cuts off right before they say he’s just eaten and appears fat but not overly gorged. Here is the end of the video without that part being cut out.

With regards to all the huge male jaguars in prime territories. Here is a video showing an interaction between Marely (a small, less impressive male according to you) and Scarface, a 12 year old dominant male. Not only does the dominant male not look any bigger, he is clearly more submissive. He literally has his tail between his legs, a well known sign of fear/anxiety, the only time I've seen a male big cat show such hesitation in a fight. So I don't buy your whole idea of super intense competition among these jaguars, I'll stick with the science.

The jaguar is an incredibly powerful and impressive cat, it does not need exaggerations.
3 users Like chui_'s post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2019, 04:20 AM by Pckts )

Quote:The video you've posted of the jaguar being weighed shows the same specimen we were talking about above. It was apparently weighed at 315lb (143kg) but then they said someone was holding the head so they added 5kg to account for that to get to 148kg. But they did not subtract for stomach content!
So you somehow decided to downgrade it based off a 5kg claim on holding a head and not deducting stomach content because he's "fat but not overly full"

I suggest you read what I wrote about how Pantanal Jags actually look all the time.

Now onto Marley, how do you think he compares to the Jaguar in this Video?

This is Balwin, one of the Males Larger than Adriano for Comparison. He fights and beats Marley bad here, you can also see the large size difference between the two.

Quote:He literally has his tail between his legs, a well known sign of fear/anxiety, the only time I've seen a male big cat show such hesitation in a fight. So I don't buy your whole idea of super intense competition among these jaguars, I'll stick with the science.

And in that video you posted, Marley had already beaten up that exact male a week earlier as well, he is submitting while trying to save face. He actually wasn't seen really after this. I also fail to see a Cat being Submissive to another some how reflecting a "lack in competition?"
Marley is an extremely impressive Cat, I've spoken about him here numerous times.
What makes him impressive?
1. He was born in the Meeting of the 3 rivers and he never left, never was kicked out.
2.He's small yet territory holding and has fought and won many fights and lost as well.
3.He's just about 4 years old, still young and able to fight off the bigger, stronger Jags most of the time and refuses to be pushed out.

So when it comes to "science" you might be better suited to listen to the Zoologist who's toured the Pantanal and Amazon all his life, and is one of 2 people in the entire Pantanal who keeps the up to date ID file on all the cats, Along with Paul Donahue instead of jumping to some conclusion based off a video you have no backstory on nor know what the entire encounter entailed.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2019, 07:44 AM by Rishi )

(08-28-2019, 12:19 AM)Pckts Wrote:
Quote:The jaguar is an incredibly powerful and impressive cat, it does not need such silly exaggerations.
I suggest you throw out your pompous attitude, I've seen these cats in person, you've not. I've spoken to all these guides in person, you've had an email responded to. 
Tone down the attitude and have an adult discussion.

About the "I've seen them in person so I know what I'm talking about" argument... Going on a trip and see them in real life for sure is something everyone wants to do here I assume. I for example simply don't have the budget while I would love to go to Sri Lanka or the Masai Mara. I would give everything I've got but I simply can't so I turn out to be an enthousiast with a passion for leopards. Kudos to you for seeing these magnificent animals, I'm really jealous.

Also you're talking about attitude while you're talking to someone who helped Xavier Hubert-Brierre identify the leopards in Gabon so I suggest you too tone down. Being a traveller doesn't make anyone smarter. In fact he is.

To be honest sometimes you can be stubborn/arrogant to others.
1 user Likes Luipaard's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2019, 08:00 AM by Rishi )

Quote:Oh I was so waiting for that argument. The "I've seen them in person so I know what I'm talking about" argument
You seem to be missing the point, outside of seeing habitat, prey and weather first hand you get to talk to people like Paulo, I get to sit down with him and all others who've been involved in the Pantanal for their lives and ask them all the questions I can muster and bounce ideas off them on top of getting their points of view.
That is one of the major benefits of going to these places and that is the point I'm trying to make.

Quote:Also you're talking about attitude while you're talking to someone who helped Xavier Hubert-Brierre identify the leopards in Gabon so I suggest you tone down the attitude. Being a touris doesn't make anything smarter. In fact he is.
Whatever "attitude" I'm speaking with was a direct result of what was written prior.

I'm not sure what ID'ing he's done with Xavier, but regardless it doesn't give you the right to speak in a condescending tone.

I've never said I'm smarter than anyone, nor do a make claims that someone else is smarter than me or anyone else.
So no need to do that.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2019, 08:41 AM by Rishi )

(08-28-2019, 01:10 AM)Pckts Wrote:
Quote:Oh I was so waiting for that argument. The "I've seen them in person so I know what I'm talking about" argument
You seem to be missing the point, outside of seeing habitat, prey and weather first hand you get to talk to people like Paulo, I get to sit down with him and all others who've been involved in the Pantanal for their lives and ask them all the questions I can muster and bounce ideas off them on top of getting their points of view.
That is one of the major benefits of going to these places and that is the point I'm trying to make.

Quote:Also you're talking about attitude while you're talking to someone who helped Xavier Hubert-Brierre identify the leopards in Gabon so I suggest you tone down the attitude. Being a touris doesn't make anything smarter. In fact he is.
Whatever "attitude" I'm speaking with was a direct result of what was written prior.

I'm not sure what ID'ing he's done with Xavier, but regardless it doesn't give you the right to speak in a condescending tone.

I've never said I'm smarter than anyone, nor do a make claims that someone else is smarter than me or anyone else.
So no need to do that.

Quote:I get to sit down with him and all others who've been involved in the Pantanal for their lives and ask them all the questions I can muster and bounce ideas off them on top of getting their points of view.

Well how about that, as you may have read in the 'Rainforest leopards' thread, I'm about to get in touch with Philipp Henschel once he's back in his office in Gabon. So I can "sit down with him' behind my computer and can finally prove to you that these particular leopards are larger than other leopard populations/species bar Persian leopards. Skull data or photographic evidence didn't convince you since you've seen leopards on safari in real life. The largest leopard you may have seen will most likely be average compared to a Central African leopard, just based on skull data alone.

Quote:I'm not sure what ID'ing he's done with Xavier, but regardless it doesn't give you the right to speak in a condescending tone.

Did he do anything wrong? If so describe? Sure it doesn't give him the right to speak in such a "in a condescending tone" but @chui_ is definitely knowledgeable enough since he has experience by helping Xavier Hubert-Brierre.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

This thread is now closed for 1-2 hours. Consider it as time out. Now whatever personal issues there are, try to handle those so, that focus can be again in informative postings and debates so, that debates are backed up with good information and reasoning. Sometimes minor things heat up things way too much. Now is a good time to cool down.
2 users Like Shadow's post