There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Size comparisons

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-29-2022, 07:41 PM by AndresVida )

Interesting news here to the Paleocommunity of Wildfact @GuateGojira @JurassicDD @GrizzlyClaws 

Giganotosaurus Carolinii by Dan Folkes got an upsize

The Holotype specimen, with the 0.97 density, will be 8.8 tons (9 tons with 0.99 density) while the Paratype will be respectively 9.4 to 9.6 tons, making Giganotosaurus Carolinii at the moment the only theropod rivaling Tyrannosaurus Rex in size, although Scotty is still about one ton heavier

*This image is copyright of its original author

I self-made a reconstruction for this amazing creature, enjoy! 

4 users Like AndresVida's post

JurassicDD Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-02-2022, 07:35 PM by JurassicDD )

(11-29-2022, 12:35 AM)caninecat Wrote:
(12-27-2021, 12:51 AM)JurassicDD Wrote: I barely post on here anymore because of discord and i do not want to cause anymore issues here or derail the thread further, but i will add this. There is quite a clear reason to why not just me but a few others have brought up the issues regarding user DinoFan83 (or Chocolatecake 123 as he sometimes goes by) because there is clearly an issue that is sadly being ignored/enabled by the mods here. Im not saying he mods here are doing a bad job not at all. A lot of people here are not quite as paleo crazy or as interested in the subject as me or some others here, so you might not see what he's doing. But anyone who does have an interest in it and does not have a huge bias can see what he's doing and what he has been doing for a while. 

DinoFan has been banned from multiple yes, MULTIPLE discord servers because of his conduct. What has been posted above is nothing out of the normal for him. Yes this thread is not about the behaviour of users on other platforms but when countless users are trying to show the mods here just why he should be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to the giant theropods and then nothing is done about it that comes across as a little...strange ? As i and others have pointed out before, Dinofan hates Tyrannosaurus. He always has done, and this can be backed up by me and countless others that have interacted with him. Now, hating an extinct animal that has never done anything to you is pretty normal on the internet these days. A lot of people have a dislike regarding Tyrannosaurus.
But that just means you have a huge chip on your shoulder regarding the animal, and that is reflected in your posts about the animal. And that means you are not being objective. Most if not all of your posts go against what is currently established by modern studies by actual palaeontologists and respected researcher's. There are countless studies on the mass of the giant theropods that most modern day studies have Tyrannosaurus as the most massive. Then countless others interested in the subject also find that Tyrannosaurus is the largest. Adult specimens for Tyrannosaurus such as Scotty and Sue have estimated body masses succeeding any other giant theropod.

Randomdinos favourite theropod is Spinosaurus, and even he clearly states that Tyrannosaurus is the largest currently when using GDI analysis. He does not let any bias get in the way of his work, and that is what DinoFan can not do. This is NOT about wanting or keeping Tyrannosaurus as the largest giant theropod in some fanboy way even though I know there are a ton of people out there that DO want that, and this applies to the other giant theropods also.  It's just that with the most current scientific data from experts with no bias involved place Tyrannosaurus as the largest theropod, and that is then reflected in the work from researchers. If any giant theropod is ever confirmed to actually displace Tyrannosaurus as the overall largest, then that will be reflected in the work from experts and researchers the world over. But that has not happened yet. Dinofan often presents HIS WORK and his more bias views as actual study and the most current data from other actual verified experts. It's not and that is why it's not reflected by anyone else, and he should clarify that for the people who do not know better. 

This is about the most current scientific understanding of these animals. Currently, adult specimens of Tyrannosaurus such as Scotty and Sue are more massive than other rival giant theropods. This is backed up by the studies from verified experts and other respected researchers such as Franoys who's just completed his thesis and whose work is being used in an actual peer reviewed study coming soon. And others such as Randomdinos, who often works very closely with Fran. I have interacted with both on many occasions regarding the size of these animals. If you can not use the work from an actual palaeontologist or any peer reviewed work then you should be using the work from Fran who is practically a fully fledged palaeontologist at this point anyway. I mean, why would you not use accurate and up-to-date rigorous paleo work ? Because it does not correspond to the narrative that YOU want people to believe. Dinofan wants more people to believe what he wants and DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ACCURACY. 

I could go on and on and believe me i have done plenty of times before. I have interacted with Dinofan on discord, i have interacted with him on Diviantart and on other forums, and it is always the same. And once more and more people start seeing what he's about he normally leaves the forum and starts repeating the exact same pattern somewhere else if he's not banned first. He used to post non-stop on a forum called World of animals but once other users there (including myself) started challenging his narrative and he knew he could not trick anyone there any more he left and started posting on this site. It just goes on and on he joins different forums or different discord servers like some sort of machine. He honestly seems like he is obsessed with his hatred for this animal.

I'm not saying he should be stopped posting here, but I do think more mods should question what he's posting and try and push him into being a more objective user, even if It's just as simple as he has to post these are MY ESTIMATES and might not reflect the work done by experts or respected researchers (because his posts never do he often falls back on using the work from Spino in wonderland someone else who in the past also had an intense hatred for Tyrannosaurus what a coincidence). Plenty of people come to these sites for information, and that is probably why he posts so much here. 

This is not a personal attack, and do not try and make out that it is. All I'm doing is calling out the bias of this user this is about accuracy and being objective and I hope more is done to make sure more accurate work is posted here. The evidence is all over this thread people have tried to show you he is not to be trusted when it comes to the giant theropods because he clearly has his favourites and the ones he dislikes, and he lets that get in the way and that ruins his credibility. He behaves this way on this site he does it on Reddit he does it on Diviantart and has done it countless times on discord and I know this has been brought to your attention a few times now.  How much more evidence do you need ? Please do not turn a blind eye to this. Sorry for the ramble, but it needed to be said.

completely disagree with you, you can not throw me  A SCIENTIFIC article where the Tyrannosaurus rex would be estimated at over 10 tons. But Nizar Ibrahim said that Spinosaurus specimens weigh more than 10 tons The words randomly don't mean anything, since an amateur work does not compare with a peer-reviewed article. And in what sense is the tyrannosvr, according to the calculation of the GDI, larger? It depends on the reconstructed Animal proportions
It's fine to disagree, but using GDI analysis you can achieve 10 tons for the largest specimens, and these results come from someone who is much much much more reliable than you or me. I have no reason to doubt the results. Please conduct your own analysis that can disprove what Dan has achieved. The software to create your own model is available on the internet, and so are all the studies that people such as Dan uses to create his own work. Using this work is not official to me is just a convenient cop out, honestly. It's something people use when they don't know or can not accurately state what is actually wrong regarding someone's analysis. Dan’s work has been published in peer-reviewed studies before multiple times, and he has worked alongside certified experts before. While his other work such as his Scotty diagram is _not_ “official” in as much as it comes from an independent entity (i.e. Dan himself) it’s as detailed and rigorous as any “official” figure is out there. You can disagree, but I'm fine with Dan's results and I will use them until it's proven his analysis is inaccurate or our understanding changes regarding Tyrannosaurus.
1 user Likes JurassicDD's post

JurassicDD Offline

(11-29-2022, 07:35 PM)AndresVida Wrote: Interesting news here to the Paleocommunity of Wildfact @GuateGojira @JurassicDD @GrizzlyClaws 

Giganotosaurus Carolinii by Dan Folkes got an upsize

The Holotype specimen, with the 0.97 density, will be 8.8 tons (9 tons with 0.99 density) while the Paratype will be respectively 9.4 to 9.6 tons, making Giganotosaurus Carolinii at the moment the only theropod rivaling Tyrannosaurus Rex in size, although Scotty is still about one ton heavier

I self-made a reconstruction for this amazing creature, enjoy! 

This is really beautiful, I love the colours. Great to see Giga get an increase in size. We will have to see how well it holds up and see what result Fran finally gets when he does update his diagram. Who knows, maybe Hartman will update his.
1 user Likes JurassicDD's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-08-2022, 08:59 PM by Luipaard )

Eland bull and giraffe

hamman_prinsloo_wildlife_photo
4 users Like Luipaard's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Giant forest hog and leopard in Aberdare National Park, Kenya. It requires a big male leopard to not be dwarfed by a giant forest hog as giant forest hogs are massive animals.

6 users Like Luipaard's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Wanted to represent the largest current predators of persia 

3 users Like AndresVida's post

LonePredator Offline

(01-02-2023, 02:15 AM)AndresVida Wrote: Wanted to represent the largest current predators of persia 

Where is the height estimate from?

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

(01-02-2023, 06:52 AM)LonePredator Wrote: Where is the height estimate from?
@Maritimus77  who is very informed on brown bears told me that the 110-115 cm range would be a reasonable SH for a freaklish outlier like the one shot in Turkey, the sad part is that data on these bears is nearly non existent

LonePredator Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-08-2023, 12:14 PM by LonePredator )

(01-02-2023, 04:44 PM)AndresVida Wrote:
(01-02-2023, 06:52 AM)LonePredator Wrote: Where is the height estimate from?
@Maritimus77  who is very informed on brown bears told me that the 110-115 cm range would be a reasonable SH for a freaklish outlier like the one shot in Turkey, the sad part is that data on these bears is nearly non existent

Fair point but something you should also consider is that Bears vary a lot in body composition as well. Some Bears can get extremely fat given the right conditions and reach extreme weights.

Like Bears from Katmai etc can weigh even more than Kodiak Bears at their peak weight possibly due to the supply of salmons allowing them to reach extreme weights.

The main reason Bears vary so much in weight would mainly be due to varying body composition because large terrestrial predatory mammals don't have such extreme variations in their frame size that would cause an outlier to weigh over 3 times times more than an average specimen.

In the case of the Syrian Brown Bear, it could very well be possible that the Bear had a normal frame but had a very different body composition than usual.

Even in case of Tigers (who have much more uniform/isometric body composition than Bears), it's still very difficult to determine shoulder height just from the weight.

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

The Largest Reported Nile Crocodile

Hans Besser, a respected German naturalist claimed to have shot a massive Nile crocodile on the banks of the Mbaka River, near the mouth of Lake Malawi (sometimes called Lake Nyasa), Tanzania in 1903. This crocodile allegedly measured 760 cm but was missing around a quarter of its tail, it was so large that initially Besser believed it to be an abandoned canoe. At first this just seems like another ‘big fish’ story, an exaggerated monster far too large to have existed in the realm of reality, similar to the allegedly 863.6 cm (28 ft 4 in) crocodile shot by Krystina Pawlowski in 1957 (Wood, 1982). However, Besser went on to provide other measurements he made from the giant crocodile that seemed to affirm its enormous size. The skull alone was 140 cm, this was likely measured from the premaxilla to the posterior margin of the articular, the maximum width of the skull was an astonishing 96 cm (wider than Sue's the Tyrannosaurus skull!!). The crocodile also had a maximum height above the riverbank of 93 cm and a belly circumference of 426 cm.

It is certainly tempting to take Besser at his word since these additional measurements do lend credence to his claim. In his book Charles Guggisberg described Besser as “an excellent field naturalist whose reliability cannot be questioned.” Yet despite this it is still entirely possible that Besser exaggerated the size of this crocodile and in order to avoid suspicion also fabricated additional measurements. Besser could have measured a smaller crocodile and then scaled up those measurements to the size of his 760 cm giant. While this scenario is possible, I find it unlikely that a well-respected naturalist would risk his reputation by engaging in such unscrupulous conduct, and for seemingly no or at least very little reward or recognition. As such, this record should not be outright dismissed but it also cannot be accepted, as there remains the possibility that Besser either intentionally or unintentionally exaggerated his measurements.

1 user Likes AndresVida's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Caracal and male leopard in Nigeria

Yankari Game Reserve
1 user Likes Luipaard's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-25-2023, 06:25 PM by Luipaard )

Lioness and female (?) leopard in Khutse Game Reserve, Botswana

SnapshotSafari
2 users Like Luipaard's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

1 user Likes AndresVida's post

LonePredator Offline

(02-06-2023, 12:31 PM)AndresVida Wrote:

What are the sources for this?

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

(02-06-2023, 12:37 PM)LonePredator Wrote: What are the sources for this?
The largest brown bear ever recorded in weight came from Slovakia and weighed 481 kg while an even larger specimen came from the Carpathians and the measurements you see there are his, unfortunately he was not weighed and @Maritimus77  gave me these measurements.

the Marsican bear has extremely lacking data but from what is quoted in most sites, studies and descriptions, the maximum weight seems to be in the range of 200-230 kg.
 The height at the shoulder is an estimate always made by @"Maritimus77 based on the maximum length quoted for this species at 2 meters.

For the wolf instead we speak specifically of a specimen killed in Piedmont near Entracque city which only the weight of 44 kg was recorded, the measurements are given by a survey of various samples found throughout Italy from 1974 to 1990 which shows a body length that has a range of 109–148 cm and a height at the withers of 49–73 cm