There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Size comparisons

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Living large in the Angeles National Forest. Here’s a size comparison between a bear and a male mountain lion, passing by my camera a few days apart. This is without a doubt one of the largest lions that I’ve captured on camera. Look at the muscles on that cat!

*This image is copyright of its original author

By Robert Martinez
6 users Like Balam's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Black Caiman's paw and Man's foot.

credits: Thiago Luczinski

6 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Human and Green Anaconda.

Thiago Luczinski

5 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Leopard cat, male leopard, and tigress size comparison:

By Amur Leo Land
5 users Like Balam's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

One of the biggest rivalries in the African environment.
African Leopard vs Spotten Hyena!
2 users Like AndresVida's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Human, striped hyena, spotted hyena, leopard and... a giraffe

jamie_hall_photo
3 users Like Luipaard's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Better scale.
Leopard = 80 cm tall
Hyena = 91 cm tall
1 user Likes AndresVida's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

@Pckts
@Balam
@Luipaard

Never seen a male leopard this big when confronted by a pride of lions
https://youtu.be/QTWNOMvJy0s
Notice that the male leopard is much far from the lioness lying on the bottom and despite this it looks basically only 2/3 her size!!! Despite the lioness is much closer to the camera!

Here a better comparison between the leopard and a lioness on the same place but with time difference

That's a big male!!! I have seen this comparison on carnivora and the guy said that's >>>only<<<< an average leopard! If it's true it might be also true that max sized leopards can surpass 100 kgs and possibly rivaling the size of a 118–120 kg lioness which is much smaller than the average 143–150 kg lioness.

But in my opinion that leopard is not average, might be anywhere between 180-209 lbs ( 81–95 kgs) and possibly close to 220 lbs (100 kgs) but that's only my estimate

I'm so glad it escaped, I love big males

What do you guys think?
4 users Like AndresVida's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

(03-08-2021, 03:31 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote: @Pckts
@Balam
@Luipaard

Notice that the male leopard is much far from the lioness lying on the bottom and despite this it looks basically only 2/3 her size!!! Despite the lioness is much closer to the camera!

Here a better comparison between the leopard and a lioness on the same place but with time difference

That's a big male!!! I have seen this comparison on carnivora and the guy said that's >>>only<<<< an average leopard! If it's true it might be also true that max sized leopards can surpass 100 kgs and possibly rivaling the size of a 118–120 kg lioness which is much smaller than the average 143–150 kg lioness.

But in my opinion that leopard is not average, might be anywhere between 180-209 lbs ( 81–95 kgs) and possibly close to 220 lbs (100 kgs) but that's only my estimate

What do you guys think?

It is by no means a small leopard but I doubt it weighs 80kg-95kg. I'd say around 70kg-75kg so still above average. At best it is indeed 2/3 the lioness' size.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(03-08-2021, 03:31 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote: @Pckts
@Balam
@Luipaard

What do you guys think?
Looks like a normal sized Leopard to me, 70kg range would be my guess.

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

@Pckts

Then those lions must be smaller than normal… Because if a leopard of this size compared to lions is JUST a normal one of 70–75 kgs

I can't imagine how big a 80–100 kg male would look like…. 
I thought it was bigger than average because it really seems to be close at “rivaling” the size of that lionesses, but you say that it's a normal one so I am quite surprised..

https://youtu.be/hgLeIo2ZPbw

I mean what about this leopard? To me it looks larger than average because he isn't small compared to the lionesses…
1 user Likes AndresVida's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-08-2021, 09:21 PM by Pckts )

(03-08-2021, 07:58 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote: @Pckts

Then those lions must be smaller than normal… Because if a leopard of this size compared to lions is JUST a normal one of 70–75 kgs

I can't imagine how big a 80–100 kg male would look like…. 
I thought it was bigger than average because it really seems to be close at “rivaling” the size of that lionesses, but you say that it's a normal one so I am quite surprised..

https://youtu.be/hgLeIo2ZPbw

I mean what about this leopard? To me it looks larger than average because he isn't small compared to the lionesses…
When comparing images you need to make sure the perspective isn’t skewed. For instance the 2 images you’re comparing has the cats in two completely different locations.
If you want to compare them in the same location then you can see more easily the actual difference.

Notice the brush doesn’t even reach the lioness’  chest while it would reach the Leopards head. Next is the actual video where the Lioness is right next to the Leopard and she dwarfs it easily, if you compare skulls the Lioness looks to have a skull double the size. When comparing cats you won’t see much of a difference between two animals that are 10-20kg difference in weight, it’s usually in body mass where you see a major difference. Body dimensions can be very close. But this Leopard isn’t near the Lioness’ body dimension so assuming the Lioness is 110-130kg that Leopard is around half her size.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Lopez, 148 kg
Slamlet, 148 kg
Joker, 140+ kg

All lined up, scaled to the people around them:

Sumatran tiger and Pantanal jaguars showcasing their drastic size overlap. Top tier cats:

3 users Like Balam's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(03-13-2021, 03:01 AM)Balam Wrote: Lopez, 148 kg
Slamlet, 148 kg
Joker, 140+ kg

Sumatran tiger and Pantanal jaguars showcasing their drastic size overlap. Top tier cats:

Interesting enough both Sumatrans and Jaguars are similar in weight but actually Sumatrans have a couple of 22'' scoring skulls (SCI) which are slightly larger than Jaguars. 
The sample size is much smaller for Sumatrans unfortunately. Over all I'd say that Sumatrans would have a higher rate of 140kg specimens in comparison to Jaguars but both seem to overlap significantly.

Jaguar Enthusiast

(03-13-2021, 03:01 AM)Balam Wrote: Lopez, 148 kg
Slamlet, 148 kg
Joker, 140+ kg

I know the S.tiger shall be the longer cat, but what I really would like to know is their girth measurements comparison.