There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predation of Adult Rhino By Kaziranga Tigers: WII Expert Rabin Sharma’s Documentation

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-15-2019, 02:03 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 01:37 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 01:20 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 01:03 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 12:50 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 12:25 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 07:38 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 03:27 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 12:21 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: Great find @Roflcopters. I seem to recall another case of a tiger and rhino found dead alongside, but, in that instance there was scat discovered of a third tiger. The dead tiger was a sub-adult and the theory went that a big male had killed a female rhino, and this subadult was very much tucking into the kill when the big male discovered it doing so and killed it. Do you happen to know anything about that incident?

Would actually love to see some footage of how a 250 kilo tiger brings down a 1700 kilo female rhino. Would be fascinating.

Something to wonder indeed. 

Note that in the first case it was a clear hamstringing, with visible claw gashes on both hind legs & torn up hindquarters...
(11-12-2019, 11:31 AM)Roflcopter Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author

...but in the second set of photos the tiger is eating from the rhino's shoulder-blades & neck, instead of the rump where they usualy start. Go figure.
(11-13-2019, 01:32 AM)Roflcopters Wrote:

That 600 kg rhino was obviously a calf. What comes to that adult female it´s interesting that there were 3-4 tigers hunting it, I think that there is another case also from past with 4 tigers attacking an adult rhino. Have some tigers learned, that rhino is too tough opponent to attack alone, so occasionally hunting like lions? Quite interesting to find information for this kind of situations. Also that male rhino and tiger found dead close to each others would be interesting to find more information. I didn´t see any injuries in photos when looking at rhino. Tiger had obvious big wounds, but was rhino killed by wounds or heart attack etc. if old male. It would make sense, that tiger would attack if noticing, that unhealthy or injured rhino already because so dangerous animal to attack.

It´s a pity, that usually very little information when cases like these.
600kg is no where near a calf, possibly a sub adult but still a huge beast.

They did conduct post mortem on the male Rhino and concluded it was due to Interspecific fighting, the Rhino also does appear to have blood dripping from it's hind section as well but it's hard to see from the single shot.

"After thorough observation by Research Officer, Range Officer, Forest Veterinery Officer, Field Director, Deputy Field Director, Vets from CWRC, Honorary Wl Warden in presence of NTCA representatives, staff, media persons and after thorough Post Mortem, it was concluded that cause of death of two flagship species is 'interspecific fight', which is perfactly natural."

The likely hood of it being a heart attack yet still being able to fight and kill a large male tiger simultaneously isn't likely.

If I don´t remember all wrong, adult females are around 1 600 kg and males 2100 kg, so a 600 kg rhino is hardly sub adult, calf is right term as far as I understand, what comes to these animals.

And what comes to that case with dead rhino and tiger, I didn´t see any wounds there in those photos. Also killing a tiger and then having some kind of seizure wouldn´t surprise me at all. I remember reading about one case with old rhino, which had heart attack because of tiger attacking it. A lot of stress tends to cause such things for mammals, especially if old or bad health. I would call that too perfectly normal interspecific fight, because predators often target to individuals, which show signs of weakness. As I said, it´s pity that so little information about cases like this one. I don´t see any blood in those photos what comes to case with dead rhino and tiger, when I look at that rhino so it makes me wonder, that did it die to injuries or seizure caused by stress and seizure when fighting with that tiger.

We can all speculate naturally, but maybe someone finds more information from officials? Very interesting incident.
Calves are considered very young- newborns, considering a rhino calf weighs around 80-140lbs when born, 600kg would surely be a sub adult. 
Also, I'm sure the 600kg was an estimate since I doubt they weighed it, but you can clearly see the Rhino is large compared to the people and since he specifically calls it an Adult, I doubt Calf is the correct term.

In regards to a heart attack you're speaking of, that would still occur during the attack it self, but since that wasn't mentioned infighting was, again that seems like a stretch. 
If you look on the hind leg portion you can also see what looks to possibly be blood dripping as well as dark blotches towards the hamstring section as well.

Ok, sub adult for you and calf for me. Or maybe juvenile is right word then. I mean when adult female would be about 2,5-3 times heavier and adult male about 4 times heavier, sub adult sounds stretch too far for me. Or would you consider 50-60 kg male tiger as subadult maybe? When talking about greater one-horned rhino, 600 kg means a little child, no matter what word is used.

And what comes to that other case, I said already what I had in my mind :)

Calf is between the age of newborn-1 year old for Bovines and similar herbivores
"a young bovine animal, especially a domestic cow or bull in its first year."

Comparing to a Carnivore isn't correct since their lifespan is shorter and they grow much faster.
Although still a Tiger over the age of 1 would still be considered a Sub Adult by most. 

Here is a Rhino Calf for comparison 

compared to 

As you can clearly see, this Rhino was definitely large, it's quoted as an adult but maybe not quite full grown but still a big creature. 

You are now mixing adult female to that 600 kg juvenile in other posting. That adult female is good sized and it was attacked by 3-4 tigers.

When I talk about 600 kg "child" it´s mentioned in another posting. Here have been now 3 different cases, adult female rhino, adult male rhino and then third one (estimated) is that 600 kg, which can be called whatever anyone wants, but it´s not even close to adult size. Was that youngster 600 kg or +- 100 kg, it´s clear that when estimated so small, it haven´t been even closely to adult size.

Ok, that is talking about a "600kg carcass" which has already been significantly eaten could of been much more when intact and regardless, 600kg is far too heavy for a calf, you're talking about animal the size of a cape buffalo.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2019, 03:09 AM by Shadow )

(11-15-2019, 02:43 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 02:03 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 01:37 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 01:20 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 01:03 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 12:50 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 12:25 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 07:38 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 03:27 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 12:21 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: Great find @Roflcopters. I seem to recall another case of a tiger and rhino found dead alongside, but, in that instance there was scat discovered of a third tiger. The dead tiger was a sub-adult and the theory went that a big male had killed a female rhino, and this subadult was very much tucking into the kill when the big male discovered it doing so and killed it. Do you happen to know anything about that incident?

Would actually love to see some footage of how a 250 kilo tiger brings down a 1700 kilo female rhino. Would be fascinating.

Something to wonder indeed. 

Note that in the first case it was a clear hamstringing, with visible claw gashes on both hind legs & torn up hindquarters...
(11-12-2019, 11:31 AM)Roflcopter Wrote:

...but in the second set of photos the tiger is eating from the rhino's shoulder-blades & neck, instead of the rump where they usualy start. Go figure.
(11-13-2019, 01:32 AM)Roflcopters Wrote:

That 600 kg rhino was obviously a calf. What comes to that adult female it´s interesting that there were 3-4 tigers hunting it, I think that there is another case also from past with 4 tigers attacking an adult rhino. Have some tigers learned, that rhino is too tough opponent to attack alone, so occasionally hunting like lions? Quite interesting to find information for this kind of situations. Also that male rhino and tiger found dead close to each others would be interesting to find more information. I didn´t see any injuries in photos when looking at rhino. Tiger had obvious big wounds, but was rhino killed by wounds or heart attack etc. if old male. It would make sense, that tiger would attack if noticing, that unhealthy or injured rhino already because so dangerous animal to attack.

It´s a pity, that usually very little information when cases like these.
600kg is no where near a calf, possibly a sub adult but still a huge beast.

They did conduct post mortem on the male Rhino and concluded it was due to Interspecific fighting, the Rhino also does appear to have blood dripping from it's hind section as well but it's hard to see from the single shot.

"After thorough observation by Research Officer, Range Officer, Forest Veterinery Officer, Field Director, Deputy Field Director, Vets from CWRC, Honorary Wl Warden in presence of NTCA representatives, staff, media persons and after thorough Post Mortem, it was concluded that cause of death of two flagship species is 'interspecific fight', which is perfactly natural."

The likely hood of it being a heart attack yet still being able to fight and kill a large male tiger simultaneously isn't likely.

If I don´t remember all wrong, adult females are around 1 600 kg and males 2100 kg, so a 600 kg rhino is hardly sub adult, calf is right term as far as I understand, what comes to these animals.

And what comes to that case with dead rhino and tiger, I didn´t see any wounds there in those photos. Also killing a tiger and then having some kind of seizure wouldn´t surprise me at all. I remember reading about one case with old rhino, which had heart attack because of tiger attacking it. A lot of stress tends to cause such things for mammals, especially if old or bad health. I would call that too perfectly normal interspecific fight, because predators often target to individuals, which show signs of weakness. As I said, it´s pity that so little information about cases like this one. I don´t see any blood in those photos what comes to case with dead rhino and tiger, when I look at that rhino so it makes me wonder, that did it die to injuries or seizure caused by stress and seizure when fighting with that tiger.

We can all speculate naturally, but maybe someone finds more information from officials? Very interesting incident.
Calves are considered very young- newborns, considering a rhino calf weighs around 80-140lbs when born, 600kg would surely be a sub adult. 
Also, I'm sure the 600kg was an estimate since I doubt they weighed it, but you can clearly see the Rhino is large compared to the people and since he specifically calls it an Adult, I doubt Calf is the correct term.

In regards to a heart attack you're speaking of, that would still occur during the attack it self, but since that wasn't mentioned infighting was, again that seems like a stretch. 
If you look on the hind leg portion you can also see what looks to possibly be blood dripping as well as dark blotches towards the hamstring section as well.

Ok, sub adult for you and calf for me. Or maybe juvenile is right word then. I mean when adult female would be about 2,5-3 times heavier and adult male about 4 times heavier, sub adult sounds stretch too far for me. Or would you consider 50-60 kg male tiger as subadult maybe? When talking about greater one-horned rhino, 600 kg means a little child, no matter what word is used.

Calf is between the age of newborn-1 year old for Bovines and similar herbivores
"a young bovine animal, especially a domestic cow or bull in its first year."

Comparing to a Carnivore isn't correct since their lifespan is shorter and they grow much faster.
Although still a Tiger over the age of 1 would still be considered a Sub Adult by most. 

Here is a Rhino Calf for comparison 

compared to 

As you can clearly see, this Rhino was definitely large, it's quoted as an adult but maybe not quite full grown but still a big creature. 

You are now mixing adult female to that 600 kg juvenile in other posting. That adult female is good sized and it was attacked by 3-4 tigers.

When I talk about 600 kg "child" it´s mentioned in another posting. Here have been now 3 different cases, adult female rhino, adult male rhino and then third one (estimated) is that 600 kg, which can be called whatever anyone wants, but it´s not even close to adult size. Was that youngster 600 kg or +- 100 kg, it´s clear that when estimated so small, it haven´t been even closely to adult size.

Ok, that is talking about a "600kg carcass" which has already been significantly eaten could of been much more when intact and regardless, 600kg is far too heavy for a calf, you're talking about animal the size of a cape buffalo.

This starts to be ridiculous. But calf isn´t used only about just born animals. When you look at greater one-horned rhinos, some sources talk about calves up to 1,5 years old, some even up to 4 years old. When we are talking about that small carcass, that estimated to be 600 kg, sounds like very young rhino even if tiger has been eating there 1-2 times. That carcass didn´t look like some week old and mostly eaten by scavengers. Maybe there are some more photos showing belly ripped open and most of meat eaten up already? That didn´t look like to be three quarters eaten for me.

The greater one-horned rhinoceros (Rhinoceros unicornis), also known as the Indian rhinoceros, is a grey giant, second only to an elephant in size. An adult rhino usually weighs between 2-2.5 metric tonnes. Rhinos usually lead a solitary life, but they may also graze and wallow together. Calves follow their mothers for 1-3 years. Females are sexually mature between 5 and 7 years old, while males mature at about 10 years of age.

http://www.wwfnepal.org/what_we_do/wildlife/rhinoceros/

Adult males live a solitary life. Groups consist of females and calves and mothers and their calves

stay together for around 4 years.

https://www.chesterzoo.org/our-zoo/animals/greater-one-horned-rhino/
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2019, 08:35 AM by Rishi )

(11-15-2019, 01:20 AM)Shadow Wrote: Ok, sub adult for you and calf for me. Or maybe juvenile is right word then. I mean when adult female would be about 2,5-3 times heavier and adult male about 4 times heavier, sub adult sounds stretch too far for me. Or would you consider 50-60 kg male tiger as subadult maybe? When talking about greater one-horned rhino, 600 kg means a little child, no matter what word is used.

(11-15-2019, 01:03 AM)Pckts Wrote: Calves are considered very young- newborns, considering a rhino calf weighs around 80-140lbs when born, 600kg would surely be a sub adult. 

What's there so debatable on this?... 600kg calf means about 1-year-old, ie definitely not a baby but cannot be considered as juvenile either. Human equivalent for it would be a child of 12-13 years. Its mother would be atleast twice its weight, closer to thrice.

This is a 3-months-old calf, weighing near 230kg.

Another calf's 1st birthday, 635 kg

Size comparison: This rescue was one year & few months old, 600kg will be a about this size. 
1 user Likes Rishi's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2019, 09:20 AM by Pckts )

That bottom image is not close to a 600kg animal.

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(11-15-2019, 09:18 AM)Pckts Wrote: That bottom image is not close to a 600kg animal.

How do you know? But you could be right. 

It's a bit older than the 600kg captive calf aged 1 year. But it was rescued from floods, so isn't in best health.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-15-2019, 09:39 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 09:18 AM)Pckts Wrote: That bottom image is not close to a 600kg animal.

It's a bit older than the 600kg captive calf aged 1 year. But it was rescued from floods, so isn't in best health.

Because i know what a 200kg animal looks like and that Rhino calf may be more robust but its definitely smaller in frame and probably not much more robust overall. I'd say that youngster is in the 200kg mark at best. 

If you see a 600kg bovine, its massive and you're not mistaking it for a youngster of any animal. A good example is that cape bull that bowls over the elephant youngster.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

My last comment concerning that 600 kg rhino carcass is, that whatever its called, it´s not the same or even close as adult rhino. When females are in average about 1600 kg and males 2200 kg it´s obvious, that 600 kg means a very small what comes to rhino. And that means also young one, inexperienced and much much easier target for predators when comparing to adults. That´s why that case isn´t so interesting, rhino calves that big are easy targets for biggest cats like tigers and lions, if for some reason separated from mother/other adult rhinos.

Two other cases in this thread are then again very interesting ones and hopefully more information can be found out.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(11-15-2019, 09:44 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Because i know what a 200kg animal looks like and that Rhino calf may be more robust but its definitely smaller in frame and probably not much more robust overall. I'd say that youngster is in the 200kg mark at best. 

If you see a 600kg bovine, its massive and you're not mistaking it for a youngster of any animal. A good example is that cape bull that bowls over the elephant youngster.

A rhino is not a bovine. They're of much more stout build with short legs & much larger volume. 200kg bovine would be much larger than a 200 kg rhino calf. 
And between 1ton water-buffalo/gaur bull & a 2ton cow-rhino the difference in height & length dimensions aren't that drastic... while a 1ton rhino probably wouldn't have reached puberty yet, being smaller than the smallest cows of 1.2-1.3ton.
I get what you're saying, but I think it's too much of apples & oranges in this case.

Also we have no reason to doubt the multiple values states by the zoo, especially when both numbers make sense when compared age wise.
2 users Like Rishi's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

While we are discussing tiger coalitions, I have a very interesting case. At Dudhwa, 4 tigers, a male, female and two cubs killed an adult male rhino aged 20. And, this was supposedly captured on cameras.

https://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/tigers-kill-rhino-in-dudhwa-tiger-reserve-117030400336_1.html

At Dudhwa, there were other instances of a single male tiger targeting rhinos in park’s animal centre. He killed a couple of cubs and a female.
3 users Like Ashutosh's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2019, 11:26 PM by Pckts )

(11-15-2019, 11:25 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 09:44 AM)Pckts Wrote:

A rhino is not a bovine. They're of much more stout build with short legs & much larger volume. 200kg bovine would be much larger than a 200 kg rhino calf. 
And between 1ton water-buffalo/gaur bull & a 2ton cow-rhino the difference in height & length dimensions aren't that drastic... while a 1ton rhino probably wouldn't have reached puberty yet, being smaller than the smallest cows of 1.2-1.3ton.
I get what you're saying, but I think it's too much of apples & oranges in this case.

Also we have no reason to doubt the multiple values states by the zoo, especially when both numbers make sense when compared age wise.

I'm well aware the difference in girth between the two but when you see a large bovine compared to a young rhino of that size you dont mistake it.

Also the claim of that young one behind its mother of being 230kg seems unlikely when comparing it to these 2 below

Heres a 289lb Rhino actually being weighed.

And a larger one at 179kgs

and one more at 284kg

But who knows..

My point was that a 600kg carcass wouldn't be what I consider a calf and the fact that the carcass is quite a bit devoured means it's most likely much larger than that.
I'm not saying its a adult or anything else, just not a calf in my book.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

One more photo concerning that 600 kg (estimated by Sharma) calf carcass. This photo shows in more clear way eaten part of it.

4 users Like Shadow's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 10:42 PM by Pckts )

(11-18-2019, 10:47 AM)Shadow Wrote: One more photo concerning that 600 kg (estimated by Sharma) calf carcass. This photo shows in more clear way eaten part of it.

Big animal, definitely not what I'd consider to be a calf but certainly not full grown either.
Also like Rishi said, very rare for Tigers to start with the front, usually they prefer the rump but with a Rhino it may not matter.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 11:53 PM by Shadow )

(11-18-2019, 10:41 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 10:47 AM)Shadow Wrote: One more photo concerning that 600 kg (estimated by Sharma) calf carcass. This photo shows in more clear way eaten part of it.

Big animal, definitely not what I'd consider to be a calf but certainly not full grown either.
Also like Rishi said, very rare for Tigers to start with the front, usually they prefer the rump but with a Rhino it may not matter.

Photos of this calf are good examples how perspective can make same carcass to look like small and big depending about is, that is object or animal used to comparison in front or behind.

Big carcass:

Small carcass:

Big carcass:

Those photos are the reason why I trust mostly to it, what Sharma say, 600 kg heavy and that means a calf about 1 year old or a bit older. Nice prey and a lot of eat for a tiger.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-19-2019, 12:21 AM by Pckts )

(11-18-2019, 11:41 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 10:41 PM)Pckts Wrote:

Photos of this calf are good examples how perspective can make same carcass to look like small and big depending about is, that is object or animal used to comparison in front or behind.

Big carcass:

Small carcass:

Big carcass:

Those photos are the reason why I trust mostly to it, what Sharma say, 600 kg heavy and that means a calf about 1 years old or a bit older. Nice prey and a lot of eat for a tiger.

There is a big difference between a Tiger and Human being, of course a carcass will look smaller in front of a Tiger compared to a human and it never looked small to me even with the Tiger in front of the Carcass and the People behind the carcass. 
That's a big animal, a 600kg animal with that much meat removed (estimated) is huge, it's as large as most Buffalo bulls and if you've ever seen a Cape buffalo, you know they are big animals. 
In regards to it's age, I'm not sure if it's a year or a couple of years, since I assume the only thing you're going off of was the post about a 600kg Rhino in captivity celebrating it's first bday, but I've already posted a few animals that are being weighed and you can see just how large a 200kg Rhino is, something that is 3-4 times their size will most likely need more time to grow into it. 
Here you can see a one year old Rhino estimated to be 857lbs or 388kg 

"Baby White Rhino "Sawyer" Turns 1!

Rhinoceros baby celebrates his birthday with rhino sized treats

Natural Bridge, VA – August 24th – It's been one year since the Virginia Safari Park welcomed its first baby white rhinoceros, a monumental birth for a critically endangered species. The healthy baby boy was born after a 16-month pregnancy to “Samira” a 6 year-old female. Baby Sawyer weighed about 100 pounds at birth and has gained weight steadily. His zookeepers estimate he weighs roughly 875 pounds today, which is still relatively small compared to the weights of adult females like his mother, Samira, who weigh roughly 3,000 to 4,000 pounds and adult males that can weigh up to 5,000 pounds."
http://www.virginiasafaripark.com/News/TabId/226/ArtMID/1002/ArticleID/26/Baby-White-Rhino-Sawyer-Turns-1.aspx

and here is another one year old in the 800lb area

"February 7 calls for celebration--at least at Cleveland's Metropolitan Zoo. 

The Zoo is celebrating the first birthday of baby rhino Lulu. 

Gaining 850 pounds in one year, the zoo says Lulu is thriving. "

In honor of Lulu's special day and throwback Thursday, the zoo posted photos from her first mud bath.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/cleveland/happy-birthday-rhino-at-cleveland-zoo-turns-1-year-old/95-c9301406-5a65-4198-b3f3-6244f5103a08#:~:targetText=February%207%20calls%20for%20celebration,from%20her%20first%20mud%20bath.

And this is a 1 year old Wild Rhino

My guess would be that Rhino is older than 1 for sure, it's a large animal.
Especially if it's mother was no longer with it, it most certainly was older than that.

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 11-19-2019, 12:29 AM by Roflcopters )

Quote:Golden tabby? I guess it happens. And there would be no reason for the male and the female to be aggressive towards each other after all, they are probably mates/already live along side each other, no?

I couldn’t think of what to call her besides her coded name, so i figured i’d just call her golden tabby tigress. inspired by the topic on this forum about golden tigers and you’re right. they were most likely mates sharing the kill.

@Dennis 

Quote:Great find @Roflcopters. I seem to recall another case of a tiger and rhino found dead alongside, but, in that instance there was scat discovered of a third tiger. The dead tiger was a sub-adult and the theory went that a big male had killed a female rhino, and this subadult was very much tucking into the kill when the big male discovered it doing so and killed it. Do you happen to know anything about that incident?

you’re right, i decided to cross-check and it seems like this is the same account. Nov/7/2017

@Ashutosh 

A Royal Bengal Tiger and a Rhinoceros Found Dead in Kaziranga

After the terrible incident of losing three one-horned rhinos in three days in Kaziranga, the park again mourned the death of one more rhino and a Royal Bengal Tiger. However, this time the reason for the death is not poaching but a brawl between the two animals which unfortunately lost their lives in the fight. The carcasses of the two animals of endangered species were found lying next to each other on Tuesday, Nov 7, 2017, by the forest officials in the Bagori Range of the park.

The forest officials suspect the reason to be the fight between the two animals on the account that the rhino’s horn and the body parts of the tiger were intact. While the dead tiger is said to be a sub-adult male of about two-and-a-half-year, the rhino was a female of around 20 years. According to officials, another possible reason of the death of the animals could be that an adult tiger might have killed the rhino, and the sub-adult tiger strayed into the adult tiger’s territory and eyed a share of the rhino meat, reluctant to share, the older tiger might have killed him as well. The officials suggest this theory after finding fresh tiger droppings close to the two carcasses.

Tiger predation is a common case in Kaziranga National Park, however, the death of both the animals is the rarest sight in the reserve. There have been around 472 rhinos due to tiger predation in Kaziranga National Park between the year 1982 and 2014 and the highest casualties of around 26 rhinos were reported in the year 2004.

https://www.kaziranga-national-park.com/blog/royal-bengal-tiger-and-rhinoceros-found-dead-in-kaziranga/

so it seems like that was an Adult female and not an Adult male, either way. that was a massive animal estimated to be fully grown and about 20 years of age. if you watch the video, it’s hard to believe a tiger killed a rhino that big but the carcass was carefully examined under Kaziranga park director and Wildlife Institute of India and it was confirmed killed by a tiger. incredible. KZT085 killed both the rhino and the sub-adult male. 
4 users Like Roflcopters's post