There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Plains Camp males

BigLion39 Offline

Its probably just Nhenas way of doing things. An example of age not meaning anything is rescently when the 2 old Shishengeni boys stormed the 3 much younger Gomondwane males. Obviously they were outnumbered and it wasn't the smartest thing to do but age meant nothing here. I would bet age has less to do with fighting then their character and willingness to fight.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-21-2022, 06:14 PM by Tr1x24 )

@Mapokser @Duco Ndona @BigLion39

This is off topic, but, 
Nhenha didn't just run away, he was seen standing up to, roaring at them and chasing PC males, in a 1 vs 2, as NK was earlier chased off and 2 where unable to reunite.

Nhenha even risk it all with this as he almost got caught (or he was for a second). 

This has hardly anything to do with Nhenha being old/avoiding fight or NK inexperienced, PC males are just stronger duo atm, thats all. 

Also comparison to clash with 2 N. Avocas is wrong, Tinyo at that time started to decline, and was not in the best shape, so they didnt want to risk open war with N. Avocas, yet they retreat south and waited for their mistake, mistake which OM did. 

Regardless, PC males would prob beat even stronger and more "coordinated" duo, let alone Nhenha and NK, who where together for only half a year.
8 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(09-21-2022, 06:04 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: @Mapokser @Duco Ndona @BigLion39

This is off topic, but, 
Nhenha didn't just run away, he was seen standing up to, roaring at them and chasing PC males, in a 1 vs 2, as NK was earlier chased off and 2 where unable to reunite.

Nhenha even risk it all with this as he almost got caught (or he was for a second). 

This has hardly anything to do with Nhenha being old/avoiding fight or NK inexperienced, PC males are just stronger duo atm, thats all. 

Also comparison to clash with 2 N. Avocas is wrong, Tinyo at that time started to decline, and was not in the best shape, so they didnt want to risk open war with N. Avocas, yet they retreat south and waited for their mistake, mistake which OM did. 

Regardless, PC males would prob beat even stronger and more "coordinated" duo, let alone Nhenha and NK, who where together for only half a year.

I agree with you my friend!!
1 user Likes afortich's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

(09-21-2022, 12:41 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Its probably just Nhenas way of doing things. An example of age not meaning anything is rescently when the 2 old Shishengeni boys stormed the 3 much younger Gomondwane males. Obviously they were outnumbered and it wasn't the smartest thing to do but age meant nothing here. I would bet age has less to do with fighting then their character and willingness to fight.

Didn't the younger Gomondwane males won that fight despite the third one running away? From what I'm reading from "Leo Vantage Safari Sightings" reports, 2 Gomondwane males showed up 1 hour after the fight scent-marking the territory and roaring, while the old lions vanished for days or weeks ( dunno if they were ever seen again ), then he also saw the third Gomondwane return in good health. The Shishengeni males had the advantage when they were chasing their opponents, this is intimidation, but as soon as the younger males gave battle, they won.

Age is very important, an old lion loses his stamina and strength, PCM having youth on their side is a key factor. There's a reason why young lions ousting old males is a common thing. You'd need 2 young males to try to take on the PCM, but even then, considering their size and aggressiveness, it'd be very difficult.

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

(09-21-2022, 06:04 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: @Mapokser @Duco Ndona @BigLion39

This is off topic, but, 

I wouldn't say it's off-topic. it concerns the PCM since we're specifically talking about their confrontation with a rival coalition.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(09-22-2022, 03:29 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Didn't the younger Gomondwane males won that fight despite the third one running away? From what I'm reading from "Leo Vantage Safari Sightings" reports, 2 Gomondwane males showed up 1 hour after the fight scent-marking the territory and roaring, while the old lions vanished for days or weeks ( dunno if they were ever seen again ), then he also saw the third Gomondwane return in good health. The Shishengeni males had the advantage when they were chasing their opponents, this is intimidation, but as soon as the younger males gave battle, they won.

They won because it was 3 vs 2.

(09-22-2022, 03:29 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Age is very important, an old lion loses his stamina and strength, PCM having youth on their side is a key factor. There's a reason why young lions ousting old males is a common thing. You'd need 2 young males to try to take on the PCM, but even then, considering their size and aggressiveness, it'd be very difficult.

Well yea, in a longer clash and chasing back and forth, younger males have advantage, but would not say thats always what decide the fight, theres many examples where old males beat younger ones, mostly thru experience, so yea, both groups have their strenghts.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

BigLion39 Offline

@Tr1x24.... totally agree with you on the Nhena situation.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-22-2022, 04:19 PM by BigLion39 )

(09-22-2022, 03:29 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Didn't the younger Gomondwane males won that fight despite the third one running away? From what I'm reading from "Leo Vantage Safari Sightings" reports, 2 Gomondwane males showed up 1 hour after the fight scent-marking the territory and roaring, while the old lions vanished for days or weeks ( dunno if they were ever seen again ), then he also saw the third Gomondwane return in good health. The Shishengeni males had the advantage when they were chasing their opponents, this is intimidation, but as soon as the younger males gave battle, they won.

Age is very important, an old lion loses his stamina and strength, PCM having youth on their side is a key factor. There's a reason why young lions ousting old males is a common thing. You'd need 2 young males to try to take on the PCM, but even then, considering their size and aggressiveness, it'd be very difficult.

From what I understand the 2 Old Shish boys basically blitzed the 3 Gomondwane and chased them. After running away the 3 gave chase back to the 2 and ultimately went into the bush and wasn't able to be filmed. 2 of the 3 Gomonwanes emerged and started scent marking  roaring.  Then 1 hr later the 3rd Gomondwane emerged with blood on his mouth giving the impression that the 3 caught 1 or 2 Shish males and gave them a beating. Thats my interpretation of what happened which might me wrong, I don't know. Seems like we both understand what happened there.. Too bad the 2 Shishangeni have not been seen since and lost their pride.
5 users Like BigLion39's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 09-23-2022, 04:02 AM by sik94 )

(09-22-2022, 04:17 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: the 2 Old Shish boys basically blitzed the 3 Gomondwane and chased them.

That's pretty nuts that two such old males still had the confidence to go for it. The Shishangenis have to be the top of the food-chain when it comes to male lion coalitions in the Kruger, they even went out with a bang.
6 users Like sik94's post

BigLion39 Offline

Yeah I agree! One of the tip top genes out there! They are/were on a level above all others in Kruger IMHO! Sad to see them go but they've left a great legacy!
7 users Like BigLion39's post

Europe aaaarnold Offline
New Join

(09-22-2022, 03:29 AM)Mapokser Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 12:41 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Its probably just Nhenas way of doing things. An example of age not meaning anything is rescently when the 2 old Shishengeni boys stormed the 3 much younger Gomondwane males. Obviously they were outnumbered and it wasn't the smartest thing to do but age meant nothing here. I would bet age has less to do with fighting then their character and willingness to fight.

Didn't the younger Gomondwane males won that fight despite the third one running away? From what I'm reading from "Leo Vantage Safari Sightings" reports, 2 Gomondwane males showed up 1 hour after the fight scent-marking the territory and roaring, while the old lions vanished for days or weeks ( dunno if they were ever seen again ), then he also saw the third Gomondwane return in good health. The Shishengeni males had the advantage when they were chasing their opponents, this is intimidation, but as soon as the younger males gave battle, they won.

I think think the 4 Ndzengas males will be sufficient to take on the PCM, Gijima boys knows that and lost their brother. (Opinionated...Hope I'm right??)
5 users Like aaaarnold's post

Australia Horizon Offline

(09-23-2022, 06:30 AM)aaaarnold Wrote:
(09-22-2022, 03:29 AM)Mapokser Wrote:

I think think the 4 Ndzengas males will be sufficient to take on the PCM, Gijima boys knows that and lost their brother. (Opinionated...Hope I'm right??)

Wide nose’s injury is a big blow to Ndzengas. There was a report recently that Wide nose is not seen often together with the other 3 males. Still they should be able to keep PCMs away from their territory.
2 users Like Horizon's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-28-2022, 01:11 PM by Tonpa )

PCM in Simbambili

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

By Guest Gary LaMorte. Not sure how close they are to Dark Mane on his kill

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Ok they're on Shirleys

8 users Like Tonpa's post