There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
Big Grin  ( This post was last modified: 09-09-2022, 02:13 AM by afortich )

(09-08-2022, 10:07 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Spearboy and Kutiti still chillin together!

*This image is copyright of its original author

Excellent, so happy that the friendship process of Spearboy is moving forward.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Hungary Lipstick2 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-01-2023, 05:56 PM by Lipstick2 )

(09-08-2022, 10:06 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Here's Lipstick and Blackie brother, the 3rd 4KM brother, father of Maradadi. He was killed or disappeared as he stayed back with the Paradise Pride while his 2 brothers Lipstick and Blackie moved on and took over the Topi Plains Pride.

Credits to  Andy and Sarah Skinner

Here is their 4th brother from the late 4'km male lion coalition. He is the one who died the earliest among them at around 2010, when they had some confrontations with the 6 Notches (Long also disappeared this time) however it was not sure he just vanished then and don't know exactly what happened to him. As in the case of their 3rd brother in your post; just around 2013 he also disappeared without a trace probably he was attacked and killed by the Oloololo males according to some rangers back to this year, after Lipstick and Blackie left the pride and their brother for good.

When i saw it for the first time I thought these two pictures show the same lion, but i examinded them afterwards and they have different facial scars. But they had very similar face structures and manes too. So they were twin brothers most probably.

Credits to Andy and Sarah Skinner - Wildlife Photography

The only known picture of them from their young years when they were still all together from March of 2010. Also many thanks to Sarah and Andy Skinner! 
I have to tried identify them many times over the years and in my opinion (from left to right): 4th brother, Lipstick, Blackie and 3rd brother.

5 users Like Lipstick2's post

Hungary Lipstick2 Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-27-2023, 06:09 PM by Lipstick2 )

And finally here is their father in these pictures probably!

These old photos are back to far more than 10-20 years ago - They were most likely made sometime in the 2000s. 

It's worth looking at the pictures to see how similar he was to Lipstick... What a full and dark mane, paired with his beatiful and fully-wrapped elbow tufts - such as Lipstick had. It is said he dominated some prides at Mara Triangle (maybe with his coalition partners) and we know that the 4'km males also came from there. So, from his location and his appearance he is probably the father of Lipstick and bros.

Credits thanks to Suzi Eszterhas.

https://www.instagram.com/suzieszterhas/

5 users Like Lipstick2's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(09-09-2022, 04:40 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote: And finally here is their father probably in these pictures!

These old photos are back to far more than 10-15 years ago - They were most likely made sometime in the 2000s. 

It's worth looking at the pictures to see how similar he was to Lipstick... What a full and dark mane, paired with his beatiful and fully-wrapped elbow tufts - such as Lipstick had. It is said he dominated some prides at Mara Triangle (maybe with his coalition partners) and we know that the 4'km males also came from there. So, from his location and his appearance he is probably the father of Lipstick and bros.

Credits thanks to Suzi Eszterhas.

https://www.instagram.com/suzieszterhas/

Wow! What an absolutely stunning male lion!
3 users Like BA0701's post

BigLion39 Offline

(09-09-2022, 04:40 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote: And finally here is their father

Yes thats him! He is so gorgeous! Wasnt there a brother to him as well? Now we know why the 4km genes are so strong! Look at this boy!
3 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2022, 06:03 AM by BigLion39 )

Short video taken today/yesterday of Spearboy and Kutiti patrolling and was reported they were scent marking and roaring! Video showed how Spearboy was keeping up with Kutiti, the Prunegat Boy! Wish I could post it but I have trouble posting FB and IG videos. I can't tell you how my heart swole and my stomach turned upside down when I saw this incredible, brave, and courageous boy, Spearboy, patrolling and keeping up with Kutiti! Spearboy has the absolutely biggest heart around and imho the most courageous!
4 users Like BigLion39's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2022, 09:51 AM by BA0701 )

(09-09-2022, 06:02 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Short video taken today/yesterday of Spearboy and Kutiti patrolling and was reported they were scent marking and roaring! Video showed how Spearboy was keeping up with Kutiti, the Prunegat Boy! Wish I could post it but I have trouble posting FB and IG videos. I can't tell you how my heart swole and my stomach turned upside down when I saw this incredible, brave, and courageous boy, Spearboy, patrolling and keeping up with Kutiti! Spearboy has the absolutely biggest heart around and imho the most courageous!

Was the video on FB or IG? If it is FB, just simply share the URL, by pasting it into your post, hopefully it isn't a private group. If it's IG, us Mods can help you get it posted, just PM one of us the link.

This link might help as well, and if it doesn't feel free, my friend, to PM me, or any other Mod, we're always happy to assist. Cheers my friend!

Oops, again, not sure what that was, but it's twice my links didn't post. Anyhow, here you go my friend, let me know if I can help further!

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-how-to-...s-in-posts
3 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor
Thumbs Up  ( This post was last modified: 09-09-2022, 08:33 AM by afortich )

(09-09-2022, 06:20 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 06:02 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Short video taken today/yesterday of Spearboy and Kutiti patrolling and was reported they were scent marking and roaring! Video showed how Spearboy was keeping up with Kutiti, the Prunegat Boy! Wish I could post it but I have trouble posting FB and IG videos. I can't tell you how my heart swole and my stomach turned upside down when I saw this incredible, brave, and courageous boy, Spearboy, patrolling and keeping up with Kutiti! Spearboy has the absolutely biggest heart around and imho the most courageous!

Was the video on FB or IG? If it is FB, just simply share the URL, by pasting it into your post. If it's IG, us Mods can help you get it posted, just PM one of us the link.

This link might help as well, and if it doesn't feel free, my friend, to PM me, or any other Mod, we're always happy to assist. Cheers my friend!

Yeah, give us the link, we want to experience the same feelings @BigLion39 !!
1 user Likes afortich's post

BigLion39 Offline

Ok let's see... here's the video of Spearboy and Kutiti!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2914775812...738113248/
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

Super Moderator

(09-09-2022, 11:36 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Ok let's see... here's the video of Spearboy and Kutiti!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2914775812...738113248/

Unfortunately, that's a private group. If you can tell me what the title of tge vid is, I'll look around for it as well. I found one on YT, of the two of them rubbing heads, and shows SpearBoy hobbling along behind Kutiti. That video alone is seriously heartwarming, but I don't believe it's the same video, as it didn't show scent marking or roaring. The more I see of SpearBoy, the more it makes you appreciate how difficult things have been for him, and respect the way he continues to thrive. What an amazing lion!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2022, 01:05 PM by BigLion39 )

Yes thats the video you are describing and it was shared through multiple pages and groups. . On one of the pages,, "Tribute to African Lions" The description said they were later scent marking and roaring but unfortunately want caught on any video that I've seen.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

Mwarcaar Offline

(09-09-2022, 03:33 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote:
(09-08-2022, 10:06 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Here's Lipstick and Blackie brother, the 3rd 4KM brother, father of Maradadi. He was killed or disappeared as he stayed back with the Paradise Pride while his 2 brothers Lipstick and Blackie moved on and took over the Topi Plains Pride.

Credits to  Andy and Sarah Skinner

Here is their 4th brother from the late 4'km male lion coalition. He is the one who died the earliest among them at around 2010, when they had some confrontations with the 6 Notches (Long also disappeared this time) however it was not sure he just vanished then and don't know exactly what happened to him. As in the case of their 3rd brother in your post; just around 2013 he also disappeared without a trace probably he was attacked and killed by the Oloololo males according to some rangers back to this year, after Lipstick and Blackie left the pride and their brother for good.

When i saw it for the first time I thought these two pictures show the same lion, but i examinded them afterwards and they have different facial scars. But they had very similar face structures and manes too. So they were twin brothers most probably.

Credits to Andy and Sarah Skinner - Wildlife Photography

The only known picture of them from their young years when they were still all together from March of 2010. Also many thanks to Sarah and Andy Skinner! 
I have to tried identify them many times over the years and in my opinion (from left to right): 3rd brother, Lipstick, Blackie and 4th brother.

it's the same lion as on Biglion39's post.
to identify a lion, we look at the whiskers dot (which are different for each lion) and the notches on the ears.
This lion has the same whiskers dot and the same small notch on the top of the left ear

Super Moderator

(09-09-2022, 12:22 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Yes thats the video you are describing and it was shared through multiple pages and groups. . On one of the pages,, "Tribute to African Lions" The description said they were later scent marking and roaring but unfortunately want caught on any video that I've seen.

Here you go my friend, this video really did touch me as well. Beautiful stuff @BigLion39 

2 users Like BA0701's post

Ngonya Offline

1/3 Sala's males - this is Olepolos the male with the darker mane, he is a great father and protector
Right below we have text and photos by: Peter Retting
"We found the Topi Plains Pride everyday and mostly all Lionesses and Cubs were together in close vicinity. But there was only 1 of the Pride Males always very much in the middle of the crowd - Olepolos. He seems to be the Family Man and the first line of defense.

We only saw Orkitok once feeding on a buffalo kill with Pride members, also behaving pretty mannered and tolerant. Big Boy Osapuk always was with the Pride when they were moving in the mornings, but when the Lionesses & Cubs settled for the day he preferred to find a good place for himself a fair distance away.
Maasai Mara April/May 2022"

(I know this is a little bit 'old' but I wanted to join this forum making a post about this amazing coalition that are the Sala's, definitely my favorite lions in the Masai Mara.)
6 users Like Ngonya's post

Contributor

(09-09-2022, 06:56 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 12:22 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Yes thats the video you are describing and it was shared through multiple pages and groups. . On one of the pages,, "Tribute to African Lions" The description said they were later scent marking and roaring but unfortunately want caught on any video that I've seen.

Here you go my friend, this video really did touch me as well. Beautiful stuff @BigLion39 

So glad you could post it. I could not see the link above.
4 users Like afortich's post