There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

BigLion39 Offline

(07-05-2022, 06:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote: That split lip was the first thing I noticed first time I saw these boys. Do we, by chance, know how it came to be, was he born with it?

Only thing that I've read online that people agree on is it is a cleft pallet, like a birth defects and was born with it. I don't consider it a defect for him but more like a moniker!!! It gives him character!!! Supposedly he's dealing with the quintessential lion rear hip injury currently. Im waiting to see some rescent pics of him as I haven't in a while!
2 users Like BigLion39's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-06-2022, 01:56 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(07-05-2022, 06:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote: That split lip was the first thing I noticed first time I saw these boys. Do we, by chance, know how it came to be, was he born with it?

Only thing that I've read online that people agree on is it is a cleft pallet, like a birth defects and was born with it. I don't consider it a defect for him but more like a moniker!!! It gives him character!!! Supposedly he's dealing with the quintessential lion rear hip injury currently. Im waiting to see some rescent pics of him as I haven't in a while!

That is exactly why I asked, because it indeed looks just like a cleft pallet, and if it is it'll be the first I have heard of in a species outside of humans. Not saying it doesn't/can't happen, I have just not heard of it. Thank you for that! Do let us know if you get any news on these boys, thank you my friend!
2 users Like BA0701's post

BigLion39 Offline

(07-06-2022, 05:39 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Do let us know if you get any news on these boys, thank you my friend!

Slit Lip was seen today making babies with a lioness. Ill post up the pics shortly. 
 I wanted to post this pic of Spearboy taken a few months ago while he was enjoying a meal with the 2 aggressive East Lookout males Spikey and Enkuroto! Hes a lucky boy case those 2 boys don't play!

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

Pics of Slit Lip, 1 of 5 Inselberg males over in Mara Triangle. 

8 users Like BigLion39's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(07-07-2022, 01:28 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Pics of Slit Lip, 1 of 5 Inselberg males over in Mara Triangle. 

What happens with the link that I am not able to open the pics?
2 users Like afortich's post

Contributor

Never mind. I was able to see the pictures from my phone. 
It seems my computer may have a filter that don’t let me open them Wink
2 users Like afortich's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-07-2022, 01:28 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Pics of Slit Lip, 1 of 5 Inselberg males over in Mara Triangle. 

He's definitely a monster, massive compared to that lioness.

Also great about Spearboy, he's had such a rough go of things, he could use some good things to happen for him. Thanks for the update!
2 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-07-2022, 07:22 AM by afortich )

(07-07-2022, 03:58 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

He's definitely a monster, massive compared to that lioness.

Also great about Spearboy, he's had such a rough go of things, he could use some good things to happen for him. Thanks for the update!

Spearboy looks impressive while eating!!
1 user Likes afortich's post

Mwarcaar Offline

(07-06-2022, 01:51 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(07-05-2022, 03:47 PM)Mwarcaar Wrote: I 've heard that too 
is there a map of masai mara with territories of the differents prides and coalitions that control them?

I don't think there is a current map. I do remember seeing a map once before but I don't think its anything like these fine gentleman on the forum make for Sabi Sands and Kruger. You can check on the Mara Preddtor Conservation Program page.

Thanks

Mwarcaar Offline

little scuffle between the current enkoyonai pride males (Osupaat and Nyekundu, Kaka and Maridadi's sons) and the dikidiki pride during a take over earlier this year

https://youtu.be/28V2pZqudwo

I find that they have become more physically impressive than their fathers
3 users Like Mwarcaar's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

Unidentified dark mane in masai mara

6 users Like DARK MANE's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-07-2022, 02:38 PM by BigLion39 )

(07-07-2022, 08:49 AM)Mwarcaar Wrote: I find that they have become more physically impressive than their fathers

I agree! In a short few months of 2021-2022 These 2, especially Osupaat have become hugely impressive! Nykendu always had a more gorgeous mane than his bro. Now imho Osupaat has caught up! Big black, dark manes on these 2.
4 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline
5 users Like BigLion39's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

New photo of Spearboy
Credit: Lefty Photography

4 users Like lionuk's post

BigLion39 Offline
10 users Like BigLion39's post