There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

BigLion39 Offline

Yes these 2 are very impressive at 5. They beat up there uncle Longface when they were younger as well. If they stick together they should do big things and be very successful.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
Star  ( This post was last modified: 04-20-2022, 07:10 PM by Pantherinae )

(04-16-2022, 08:28 PM)Pinto Bean Wrote:
(03-08-2017, 06:22 AM)sik94 Wrote: Are Mara lions bigger than the kruger lions? Other than the matimbas, most sabi sands and KNP lions seem smaller in size like maybe 10-15% smaller.

bro, Scarface is smaller than any of B-boys, Waza Waza from B-boys was weighed at 272 kg with stomach content. Nsuku was one of the smallest of them, maybe Scar was his size

Where have you gotten this info? Sounds a little fishy as Kruger NP do not usually dart Lions in modern times even rarer that they do weigh them. Getting info from them is extreamly hard these days, they are so careful with information due to the threat of poaching. Timbavati did weigh cats some years ago with a male called Ximpoko, tipping the scale at a whopping 280 kg, later adjusted down to 253 kg with an empty stomach.

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

Interesting video - Coalition members fight for mating rights. 

https://youtu.be/immYTHavGLU
2 users Like Dreadlocks's post

Hungary Lipstick2 Offline

(04-20-2022, 12:28 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Yes these 2 are very impressive at 5. They beat up there uncle Longface when they were younger as well. If they stick together they should do big things and be very successful.

"They beat up there uncle Longface when they were younger as well."
Really? I didn't hear this story so far. But luckily, Longface is also doing better recently. 
I remember a story (along with some sights) came about in which they shared their prey with the old and sick king Lolparpit in the autumn of 2020 (some weeks before his death). They were still very young (3 years old) nomads at this time. 

But now, they are entering into their fully adult and prime years! Here are two new videos about them from yesterday, as they are checking out who was present in their territory last night. They have significantly increased the size and length of their manes in recent times (in the last 1-2 months), because I saw pictures about them approximately 1 month ago and they had shorter manes just a while ago. This is what they look like now! In vain, this is the legendary 4km bloodline:) 

[video=facebook]https://https://www.facebook.com/100006098678690/videos/280635057602445/[/video]

[video=facebook]https://https://www.facebook.com/100006098678690/videos/360461412795143/[/video]

What are your tips, whether they are both the sons of Maridadi or Osupaat the son of Kaka, because he is more like him?

(04-21-2022, 03:41 AM)Dreadlocks Wrote: Interesting video - Coalition members fight for mating rights. 

https://youtu.be/immYTHavGLU

The 5th sight of this video is in with Lipstick2, who has disappeared in the summer of 2020 which is still a huge loss for me. He was a very beautiful specimen with his large mane which reached to his back and had fully wrapped elbow tufts too. He was a spit of his famous father Lipstick, and was just 7-8 years old...(After his demise, his brother Blackie2 (Blackie's son) became a nomad because he was chased out by 3 invading males. Is there any news about him recently? I've heard about him some months ago as he roamed around OMC and Zebra Plains.)

But in the meantime here is an another interesting old video about his father, the Mara's legend 4km Lipstick, which shows how magnificent he was. Just his appearance was enough to chase out that at least 30 annoying and violantly demanding hyenas. As soon as he appeared, the hyenas quickily faded.

1 user Likes Lipstick2's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-21-2022, 12:21 PM by BigLion39 )

@ Lipstick2... yes before they shared that meal with my boy Lolparpit they had unfortunately caught Longface out there and threw him a beating. Ill have to dig up the info on FB and ill post it back here.  And yes I think Nyekendu is almost a carbon copy of Maridadi with Osupaat looking more like Kaka with the more slender face, but as they're only around 5 maybe that will change a bit. Their manes have grown huge and dark, especially Osupaat's from rescent! The Enkoyonai girls must be treating them 2 very well!!! I look forward to following these 2 beautiful specimens! 

I was also torn when I found out Lipstick2 and Blackie2 got chased out from their area with Liostick2 never to be seen again! He was absolutely one of the most impressive in the Mara! Thats that 4km bloodline! The 3 males are still seen in the area to this day i believe. Wasn't there just an update rescently on them? I wanna say the 3 Oldikidki boys sired by Lolparpit and Olbarnoti or Olerai and Olekiti? If I remember correctly???

Heres a 1 post from an awesome group on FB,...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/4955821177...005373497/

And I should use different words then to say they beat him up as what was said is that Lonface was in a fight with one of the Fig Tree Princes and lost. The FTP got the lady and Longface didn't. This was posted back in Aug 2020 when updates were slim to none.

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Sad news: handsome great Olope has just killed by two of the Black Rock Boys Oloborr and Oloshipa probably at last night. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcyDWu9r97_/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

He was the one of the current Sankai, Porini and Fig Tree pride male, along with his last remaining brother Olbarikoi, who has left a lone male lion. Also he was the famous son of Frank the former Offbeat pride male, and the nephew of infamous Jesse the old nomad now.
Presumably, he was on a territorial patrol when they could cross each other's paths or stumbled into each other with the 2 Black Rock males and it went into a tragic battle in which he was mauled and crushed by his 2 young rivals in his territory. Probably he got serious injuries on his spine and had internal bleedings. One of the two Black Rocks who was affected in the fight (Oloshipa) also suffered severe injuries, there was a video in which he could not stand on his left hind leg and limped very slowly.
6 users Like Lipstick2's post

( This post was last modified: 04-26-2022, 08:21 AM by Lipstick2 )

Another picture of tragically dead Olope from the Lion Sightings Instagram profile
He was just in his prime, and like his father, he is also no more...

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Lipstick2's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2022, 11:12 AM by BigLion39 )

Yes this is very sad news. From what the Rangers are saying Olope ventured deep into BRB's territory, probably looking for females or something, Oloshipa found him and fought a while 1 on 1, which looks Oloshipa got the raw deal, maybe lost an eye , but Olobor must have heard the commotion and came to rescue his bro turning the tables on Olope and sadly killing him 2vs1. Vets treated Oloahipa. Olobor and Oloshipa are never too far away from each other. Just like the Othawa male, too aggressive, and got caught out there. Olope was a warrior, he fought Dongo and the Rekeros and lived. Sad story 7/8 years old and probably the most gorgeous lion in the mara. This leaves his brother and last coalition partner Olbarikoi aka Jesse2 to care for 3 prides of which have many little Cubs. There are some sub adults in the Sankai pride to hopefully run the legacy if they make it. Theres 1 more brother, Kali, who is not part of the original 4 Offbeat boys, who is still alive and roaming with another young male. Kali looks very similar to Frank and Olope.
5 users Like BigLion39's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

I dont like that Mara treat policy after the fight, Olope did his best and died fighting his rival just for vets to save him?

This makes 0 sense, lets say Oloshipa would die from his injuries, but vets saved him, now he can recover and go with his remaining brothers for remaining Sankai male.. 

No interfere policy in Kruger is far more superior, let nature do its thing..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

I remember when Olope was invading Naboisho and defended himself very well against the Prime Rekero Males. 

Without a doubt, Olope was vvvģvç⁵5u6uýprobably the best looking male in the Mara at only 7 years old. Barely in his prime and sadly gone. 

So very sad that Olope is no more. Out of all 7 Offbeat males that dispersed the Offbeat Pride in late 2017, Olbarikoi is the last one remaining. If we exclude Kali that is. 
These guys did well to hold on to Sankai, Porini & Fig Tree Breakaway prides for this long. Lets hope those young Sankai males survive Nomadic life.

Olbarrikoi, all the prides rest on your shoulders now big man. 

On another note, Oloshipa/Olpadan & Olobor are always in close proximity to one another. He truly had his brother's back on this day. Just very sad that a gorgeous male and tolerant father like Olope has lost his life.
5 users Like Mabingilane's post

Italy Gabriele Offline

(04-26-2022, 04:32 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I dont like that Mara treat policy after the fight, Olope did his best and died fighting his rival just for vets to save him?

This makes 0 sense, lets say Oloshipa would die from his injuries, but vets saved him, now he can recover and go with his remaining brothers for remaining Sankai male.. 

No interfere policy in Kruger is far more superior, let nature do its thing..

I disagree. Letting animals die full of mange or TB, or when a suture would be enough to fix an infected wound or hernia is disgusting and unnecessary pain.
1 user Likes Gabriele's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-26-2022, 08:12 PM)Gabriele Wrote: I disagree. Letting animals die full of mange or TB, or when a suture would be enough to fix an infected wound or hernia is disgusting and unnecessary pain.

For wild animal there is no cure for Mange and TB, its impossible to do it as animal would need to be taken into captivity for many months to a year. 

For wounds, idk, its nature, but by that logic they need to treat every injured animal, why would they only treat lions? which is impossible. 

With treating animals or specificaly lions theres danger of overpopulation of lions in few years in these kind of closed reserves.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-26-2022, 08:33 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-26-2022, 08:12 PM)Gabriele Wrote: I disagree. Letting animals die full of mange or TB, or when a suture would be enough to fix an infected wound or hernia is disgusting and unnecessary pain.

For wild animal there is no cure for Mange and TB, its impossible to do it as animal would need to be taken into captivity for many months to a year. 

For wounds, idk, its nature, but by that logic they need to treat every injured animal, why would they only treat lions? which is impossible. 

With treating animals or specificaly lions theres danger of overpopulation of lions in few years in these kind of closed reserves.

100% agree.

Italy Gabriele Offline

Impressive shots showing the angry expression of the warrior king Frank II

7 users Like Gabriele's post