There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

Mohawk4 Offline

The Kichwa Males Story

There was some debate over the last years over the question where the Kichwa Males are coming from. There is not much known about their origins, but a few facts are there and tell their story.
Short-Tail and Fang were most likely born into the Moniko Pride (Olare Motorogi Conservancy) in 2010, so they are 9 years old now. Their father is one of the old Moniko Males, Mzee and Lolalai, who were ousted by Lolparpit & Olbarnoti in 2010/2011, or the two legends themselves.
Here is the story:
Beginning of February 2013 a group of 5 young Males invaded Marsh Pride Territory and killed a Buffalo in the middle of the Musiara Marsh. That was not exactly a good idea and the 4 Musketeers responded immediately. They chased the 5 young Males off and caught at least one of them up on Rhino Ridge. The poor boy was badly mauled and never seen again, while the other 4 vanished.
So who were these 5 young Males?
One of them was around 4 years old and we knew this guy. This male was born into the Moniko Pride and has been named Orkiti by the Mara Predator Project.
Two of the other Males were around 3 years old mid of 2013 and these 2 Males were no other than Short-Tail and Fang. Two males being about 6 months younger completed the group of 5.
It is very unlikely that young Males not being born into the same Pride team up to become a large coalition of 5, speak that 4 would accept a 5th, or that 3 would accept a group of 2 unrelated young Males. Hence it is not impossible! But my assumption always was that all 5 young Males were born into the Moniko Pride in the OMC between 2009 and 2010 and had to run after Lolparpit & Olbarnoti took over.
Orkiti was never seen again after the encounter with the Musketeers, but 3 of the 5 popped up in the northern Mara Triangle in the course of 2014 and started courting some of the Oloololo Pride Females - Short-Tail, Fang and one of the 2 younger Males.
Towards the end of 2014 the Marsh Breakaway Pride had crossed the Mara River and settled down in the northern Triangle. The Musketeers followed them and this was a difficult time for the Oloololo Pride and for Short-Tail, Fang and their junior Partner. The latter vanished while Short-Tail and Fang came off this period with several severe battle scars. I am sure they escaped death several times.
But for some reason the Musketeers left the area for good and Short-Tail and Fang finally took over the Oloololo Pride in the course of 2015, the Marsh Breakaway Pride end of 2016 and a new Pride called River Pride (a splinter group of the Paradise Pride) end of 2017. They also tried to take over the Marsh Pride but were not able to chase off the Bila Shaka Males when they were still young and inexperienced.
These 2 Males sired many cubs with some from the Oloololo Pride born beginning of 2017 having started their nomadic life in the meantime. There is a lot of pressure from nomadic Males in the Triangle and esp. Fang has been injured several times, but so far Short-Tail and Fang have defended their territory. While not getting much attention they are Pride Males for around 4 years now and therefore amongst the really successful Male Lions in the Maasai Mara.

https://www.facebook.com/peter.rettig.9/posts/2899835653366457

"Short Tail"

*This image is copyright of its original author

"Fang"

*This image is copyright of its original author

Also a comment from Peter that shows how succesfull is this duo(Three until 2018)

" I also do not think the Bila Shaka Boys will return to the Topi Pride, may be they show up occasionally in the Musiara Area. If they go for the River Pride they have to confront the Kichwa Males...and I would not bet on the Bila Shakas. The Kichwa Males have strangers inside their territory all the time it seems and so far they have smarted them all out.
8 users Like Mohawk4's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Mohawk4 :

About #1738: and about "Jesse"... This photo is both beautiful and awesome. Nothing is more fascinating - even if it's purely quite personal opinion - than a lion's face like this one. Thank you for having posted and shared it.
2 users Like Spalea's post

Mohawk4 Offline

Jesse has the "weirdest" look i ever saw in a lion....Every photo of him captures his soul...i wish that he would make a coalition with Doa but Topi pride has cubs....    

p.s This photo has a sad story....It was just after Jesse killed a sub of Topi pride back in December but thats nature....He followed his instincts
1 user Likes Mohawk4's post

Wildanimal Lover

" Very sad news. There is a huge clash going on between two lion prides. And it seems to be the River Pride, not the Marsh pride who killed the Oloololo cubs. Both prides wont give up a Hippo carcass. This could end in more fatalities. But that's what lions do. It's all about territory and food. "

5 users Like Spalea's post

Mohawk4 Offline

Sad but thats nature...Territorial fight...Kichwa males control both prides

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Hi all, new member here. I have been lurking for awhile, and following this thread the entire time. I joined as I wanted to inquire about Scar, I saw a post that claimed he had died, but then the original post that was linked in that comment was deleted, and though a couple of folks inquired in the same manner as I am now, I did not see any responses to them. So, I came in to ask as to Scar's status, is he indeed dead, and if so what was the cause? Thank you all so much, and I look forward to reading more about the beautiful animals here, and as such increasing my own knowledge!
2 users Like BA0701's post

Wildanimal Lover

Wim van den Heever: " Beautiful Scar ?

This incredible lion is truly one of my favorite cats I’ve worked with.
Loads of attitude and looks to match..!
I hope I see you this year #scar "

@BA0701 : you can certify "he is indeed dead" ?

Wildanimal Lover

Wim van den Heever: " Big skies and lions..! "

3 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

" A majestic portrait of a dominant male lion of the Marsh pride. Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya "

4 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Mohammed Shujath: " Untamed Wilderness. "

Super Moderator

(05-13-2020, 09:54 AM)Spalea Wrote: Wim van den Heever: " Beautiful Scar ?

This incredible lion is truly one of my favorite cats I’ve worked with.
Loads of attitude and looks to match..!
I hope I see you this year #scar "

@BA0701 : you can certify "he is indeed dead" ?

@Spalea No, and hopefully that information is incorrect. I was asking, because in an earlier post somewhere back in this amazing thread, someone shared a post from another person on a different site, who said that Scar had died. The original post that was linked was later deleted, and it never provided any information on how he had died as well. There were several subsequent posts asking if anyone could confirm, and none of them had gotten a response, so I was trying to see if there might be an update that I had missed. I hope he is OK.

BTW, thanks for all of your great posts and the photos you have shared in this thread, some beautiful photography!!
2 users Like BA0701's post

Wildanimal Lover

Fabrizio Bignotti: " Brothers from the black rock pride in masaimara. "

These brothers are going to endure some harsch years. Expelled from their pride, intruders everywhere, they will roam silently, hunting or even scavenging without glory small preys and wait for the moment when they will be strong enough to locate and conquer a new pride by evicting its males. Their chances of success will meanly depends on their deep relationships between them.

BigLion39 Offline

@BA0701 No, the famous Scar of the 4 Muskateers is a live and well. That post you saw was about a different Scar from Botswana.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Wildanimal Lover

@BA0701 @BigLion39 : Yes, I remember having learned from a photograph's instagram site that Scar was dead. After having posted this sad new I saw that it has been deleted just after being published. And then no possibility to get either a confirmation or a denial... Till you state definitely this (happy !) fact !

So, thank a lot and as concerns Scar, all the best !

Super Moderator

(05-15-2020, 04:17 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: @BA0701 No, the famous Scar of the 4 Muskateers is a live and well. That post you saw was about a different Scar from Botswana.
@BigLion39 That is great news my friend, and thank you very much for clearing that up for me. Such an amazing animal, blind in one eye, hobbled on three legs, and still such a warrior's heart! Thank you again!! 

(05-15-2020, 05:00 AM)Spalea Wrote: @BA0701 @BigLion39 : Yes, I remember having learned from a photograph's instagram site that Scar was dead. After having posted this sad new I saw that it has been deleted just after being published. And then no possibility to get either a confirmation or a denial... Till you state definitely this (happy !) fact !

So, thank a lot and as concerns Scar, all the best !
@Spalea Yes, indeed, that is great news. How can you not be inspired by Scar, for all he has been through, and to continue on unfazed as he does, an incredible animal!
1 user Likes BA0701's post