There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(01-30-2023, 07:57 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Halftail (pride male of the Marsh Pride) and his three sons showed off some intruders that ventured into their territory. Obviously there's no guarantee of it happening, but depending on how things go in the future, perhaps another Notch coalition scenario? Interesting times lay ahead in the Maasai Mara.

Very interesting, would like to see Notch's story to repeat again.
2 users Like afortich's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

It's actually normal behavior for sons to help their fathers against intruders if they are around and confident enough to join in ( obviously they won't join a clash they won't have the upper hand and it's a risky move because neither parent or son has a bond to make them confident enough that their partner will back them in a fight ), not different from when females charge at intruders, any member of a pride will help defend it ( and their territory ) given the chance and the odds.

It doesn't mean the sons will join the coalition ( though it can happen if the dominant male(s) feel they are too weak and threatened and see in their sons an opportunity to remain in power ), but obviously not the norm, they normally chase the sons aways given the time. In Notch's case he joined the sons coalition as nomads, after he was ousted and his sons chased away.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Mwk85 Offline

(01-30-2023, 10:53 AM)Mapokser Wrote: It's actually normal behavior for sons to help their fathers against intruders if they are around and confident enough to join in ( obviously they won't join a clash they won't have the upper hand and it's a risky move because neither parent or son has a bond to make them confident enough that their partner will back them in a fight ), not different from when females charge at intruders, any member of a pride will help defend it ( and their territory ) given the chance and the odds.

It doesn't mean the sons will join the coalition ( though it can happen if the dominant male(s) feel they are too weak and threatened and see in their sons an opportunity to remain in power ), but obviously not the norm, they normally chase the sons aways given the time. In Notch's case he joined the sons coalition as nomads, after he was ousted and his sons chased away.

Guess I should have elaborated more on the Notch reference in my original post, lol. I pretty much was referring to the same situation that happened with Notch (being ousted as pride male) happening to Halftail given the numerous other coalitions in the area and the potential for him and his sons forming a new coalition with each other while they're all in nomadic stage of things. I forgot about speculation not really being looked upon fondly on here, so I'll refrain from doing so in the future.

BigLion39 Offline

(01-30-2023, 04:37 AM)afortich Wrote: Spearboy and Kutiti, so much respect for them. Did these boys had fight recently??

Most likely Spearboy got into it with some lionesses from Black Rock Pride or a breakaway from BR Pride as both he and Kutiti are regularly seen in that area and with lionesses there. IMHO, some lionesses will eventually submit to him and he will get some booty! Spearboy deserves it. That said, both need to be careful as Oloobor and Manywele are in the area, the 2/4 Muguro Boys also are in Sopa Valley as I believe its in close proximity to them. Many nomads and dispersing coalitions raoming about as well as cattle.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

(01-30-2023, 01:05 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Guess I should have elaborated more on the Notch reference in my original post, lol. I pretty much was referring to the same situation that happened with Notch (being ousted as pride male) happening to Halftail given the numerous other coalitions in the area and the potential for him and his sons forming a new coalition with each other while they're all in nomadic stage of things. I forgot about speculation not really being looked upon fondly on here, so I'll refrain from doing so in the future.
My friend speculation is healthy and I have no issues with it at all. I speculate and am often wrong so its all good. It is definitely a possibility that could happen with Halftail and his sons/Logol sons. I also look at that lone young Rongai sub that often gets rejected by the lionesses and hangs with the boys. I hope he stays with the BRB's and gets to be part of their coalition.
4 users Like BigLion39's post

Mwk85 Offline

(01-30-2023, 01:19 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(01-30-2023, 01:05 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Guess I should have elaborated more on the Notch reference in my original post, lol. I pretty much was referring to the same situation that happened with Notch (being ousted as pride male) happening to Halftail given the numerous other coalitions in the area and the potential for him and his sons forming a new coalition with each other while they're all in nomadic stage of things. I forgot about speculation not really being looked upon fondly on here, so I'll refrain from doing so in the future.
My friend speculation is healthy and I have no issues with it at all. I speculate and am often wrong so its all good. It is definitely a possibility that could happen with Halftail and his sons/Logol sons. I also look at that lone young Rongai sub that often gets rejected by the lionesses and hangs with the boys. I hope he stays with the BRB's and gets to be part of their coalition.

Thanks. Speaking of the Rongai sub, I saw a video clip of him earlier and he was laying around with the lionesses without any issues. Tried to find the post but it must have expired. Can't help but find it odd how they swing back and forth on how they treat him, especially since they are fine with leaving him to babysit majority of the time.
2 users Like Mwk85's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(01-30-2023, 01:05 PM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(01-30-2023, 10:53 AM)Mapokser Wrote: It's actually normal behavior for sons to help their fathers against intruders if they are around and confident enough to join in ( obviously they won't join a clash they won't have the upper hand and it's a risky move because neither parent or son has a bond to make them confident enough that their partner will back them in a fight ), not different from when females charge at intruders, any member of a pride will help defend it ( and their territory ) given the chance and the odds.

Guess I should have elaborated more on the Notch reference in my original post, lol. I pretty much was referring to the same situation that happened with Notch (being ousted as pride male) happening to Halftail given the numerous other coalitions in the area and the potential for him and his sons forming a new coalition with each other while they're all in nomadic stage of things. I forgot about speculation not really being looked upon fondly on here, so I'll refrain from doing so in the future.

My friend, speculation is not only permitted, in many ways it can be a necessary part of following a topic as dynamic as wild animals, as available information can often be minimal. Cheers!
3 users Like BA0701's post

Hungary Lipstick2 Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 06:38 AM by Lipstick2 )

(01-30-2023, 01:19 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: I also look at that lone young Rongai sub that often gets rejected by the lionesses and hangs with the boys. I hope he stays with the BRB's and gets to be part of their coalition.

I think it's highly unlikely. At least Olobor and Oloshipa would start to chase him as soon as he reach 3... Perhaps he'd be better if he is waiting until his male littermates grow up and start their journey together (such as Mandevu and Lenkoe did it with their own coalitions in the recent times).
2 users Like Lipstick2's post

BigLion39 Offline

(01-30-2023, 01:37 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Thanks. Speaking of the Rongai sub, I saw a video clip of him earlier and he was laying around with the lionesses without any issues. Tried to find the post but it must have expired. Can't help but find it odd how they swing back and forth on how they treat him, especially since they are fine with leaving him to babysit majority of the time

I also read a post saying he was hanging with the lionesses as well. Oloimina is also laying around with them too!
2 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

I tried to post this yesterday but my app wasn't cooperating! Lol! 

Will we see another history in the making? Dad and sons coalition in the Mara? 

*This image is copyright of its original author

11 users Like BigLion39's post

Mwk85 Offline

Morani has been seen again and he's still with the Rekero boy.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...tid=Nif5oz

9 users Like Mwk85's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-04-2023, 12:31 AM by Tr1x24 )

(02-03-2023, 09:52 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Morani has been seen again and he's still with the Rekero boy.

How old is he exactly, 14,15?

I noticed that Mara lions usually have a bit longer lifespan then Kruger lion (ofc those who make it to old age ), is it purely because they treat them?

I also notice that there is way less sick lions then in Kruger, looks like disease's like TB and similar are not as common there.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Mwk85 Offline

(02-04-2023, 12:27 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 09:52 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Morani has been seen again and he's still with the Rekero boy.

I noticed that Mara lions usually have a bit longer lifespan then Kruger lion (ofc those who make it to old age ), is it purely because they treat them?

I also notice that there is way less sick lions then in Kruger, looks like disease's like TB and similar are not as common there.

14-15 was the general age I saw given to him throughout 2022. My knowledge of the older lions in the Maasai Mara isn't great so I don't wanna give an incorrect precise age on the old boy. I'll ask around and see if I can get a more definitive birth year for him.
4 users Like Mwk85's post

Romania Kibo81 Offline
New Join

(02-04-2023, 05:27 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 12:27 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

14-15 was the general age I saw given to him throughout 2022. My knowledge of the older lions in the Maasai Mara isn't great so I don't wanna give an incorrect precise age on the old boy. I'll ask around and see if I can get a more definitive birth year for him.

He is 16, born January 2007.

2 users Like Kibo81's post

BigLion39 Offline

(02-04-2023, 12:27 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: How old is he exactly, 14,15?

I think it comes down to a few things IMHO. Definitely Vet care contributes, for example Ololparpit and also Scarface were both treated many times, even Spearboy. It also seems to me that the lion population is less dense in the Mara/Serenghetti area leading to less confrontations between prides and coalitions although it still happens a bunch. As far as I know there is no Bovine TB to spread or atleast it hasn't affected the felines. Who knows for how long tho as Shepherds graze their cattle intermixed with Zebra, Wilderbeast, etc.... 

The 4 Muskies were born in around 2008. So I believe Morani is roughly 14 years going on 15. An old boy but doing well with his son. His teeth are wearing down but seems he can still fill his belly well!
8 users Like BigLion39's post