There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-23-2022, 10:16 AM by BigLion39 )

(09-23-2022, 05:27 AM)BA0701 Wrote: How old is the 'ol boy now, 15, 16? Either way an absolute legend of a lion, with such a storied history.Reply

Morani is 14 as he and his bros were sired in 2008. Hes getting up there! He looks like he aged more in the time he moved up from the Mara Reserve to Oloisukut Conservancy tho. Probably been stressful for him and his son.
5 users Like BigLion39's post

Hungary Lipstick2 Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-20-2023, 04:36 AM by Lipstick2 )

Yeah, they were born in 2008, sired by Cheza, Sala and Junior (older half-brothers/cousins of Lolparpit&Olbarnoti) :)) Here is a nice picture of him along with his legend-looking brother Scarface from their prime years around 2015 when they were still the rulers of the Marsh pride most probably.

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Lipstick2's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(09-23-2022, 11:25 PM)Lipstick2 Wrote: Yeah, they were born in 2008, sired by Cheza, Sala and Junior (older half-brothers/cousins of Lolparpit&Olbarnoti) :)) Here is a nice picture of them along with his legendary-looking brother Scarface from their prime years around 2015 when they were still the rulers of the Marsh pride most probably.

I read an article that stated following Scarface's death, Morani became the oldest wild lion in a conservancy. I thought Loonkito was the oldest living wild lion, at 19 years old, but perhaps he is not in a conservancy.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

@BA0701 

Loonkito is in Amboseli so that is why Morani is the oldest in the Mara, but not overall. Loonkito was born in 2004 and is currently the oldest wild male lion at 18 years old.
2 users Like Mabingilane's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

BREAKING NEWS: 

Mandevu (Topi plains born/4KM son) has been killed by herders from Tanzania! 

This is absolutely disgusting. 

He was such an incredible male lion. Only 7 years old!
2 users Like Mabingilane's post

Hungary Lipstick2 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-24-2022, 01:38 AM by Lipstick2 )

(09-24-2022, 12:27 AM)Mabingilane Wrote: BREAKING NEWS: 

In memoriam of Mandevu, son of Blackie and Winter...He had a totally pointless death..Rest in peace, beautiful King!

Photo to African Suburbs Adventures
3 users Like Lipstick2's post

United States BorntobeWild Offline

(09-24-2022, 01:27 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 12:27 AM)Mabingilane Wrote: BREAKING NEWS: 

In memoriam of Mandevu, son of Blackie and Winter...He had a totally pointless death..Rest in peace, beautiful King!

Photo to African Suburbs Adventures
Very very sad to know such a gorgeous king was killed in this way! I guess Mara is not the heaven of lions at all.
3 users Like BorntobeWild's post

Canada Liner Online

Absolutely disgusting, is Morani in that area and now in danger?

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-24-2022, 02:26 AM by BA0701 )

(09-24-2022, 12:16 AM)Mabingilane Wrote: @BA0701 

Loonkito is in Amboseli so that is why Morani is the oldest in the Mara, but not overall. Loonkito was born in 2004 and is currently the oldest wild male lion at 18 years old.

Not that it matters now, following the terrible news of Mandevu, but this is the story I was referring to (took me a bit to find it again), but it states that he is the oldest wild lion on a "National Reserve". Knowing of Loonkito is what through me off.

Perhaps tourists need to take the Mara off of their list of places to visit, until they get a grip on the needless killing of so many lions in that area. It really does seem, as of late, that it is totally out of control there.

Oldest Lion in Kenya Captured in Stunning Photos | PetaPixel
5 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(09-24-2022, 02:24 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 12:16 AM)Mabingilane Wrote: @BA0701 

Not that it matters now, following the terrible news of Mandevu, but this is the story I was referring to (took me a bit to find it again), but it states that he is the oldest wild lion on a "National Reserve". Knowing of Loonkito is what through me off.

Perhaps tourists need to take the Mara off of their list of places to visit, until they get a grip on the needless killing of so many lions in that area. It really does seem, as of late, that it is totally out of control there.

Oldest Lion in Kenya Captured in Stunning Photos | PetaPixel

I will consider your words about Mara buddy, because hopefully, I'm going to a safari before I die.
2 users Like afortich's post

BigLion39 Offline

So mad, so mad right now. Another one. Another one killed by these punk Cattle herders. 4km legacy Mandevu met his end by violent humans almost like Cecil except for revenge, not trophy. Im so sick to my stomach right now to hear the news. 

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-24-2022, 05:45 AM by BigLion39 )

(09-24-2022, 01:45 AM)东方琳琅STD Wrote: Very very sad to know such a gorgeous king was killed in this way! I guess Mara is not the heaven of lions at all.

Your rigjt my friend, it is not was it is cracked up to be. It might just be almost the worst place for a free roaming wild lion as they are constantly being killed. The cattle have increased 10-fold since the covid1984 lock downs and it is on a path to no end currently. If they continue with increasing the cattle #'s they will overtake all the lion habitat. Cattle is like money and wealth for the massai people. Govt or Private sector needs to step in quickly and solve this before its too late. Same crap goes on in Serenghetti. The Saudis own property right next to Serenghetti and do excursions into the park to hunt and trap lions. Its friggin sick. I wanna throw up.

BigLion39 Offline

On a more positive vibe..... 

Looks like Hunter son on the left and Morani son on the right.!

United States BorntobeWild Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-24-2022, 08:08 AM by BorntobeWild )

(09-24-2022, 05:44 AM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 01:45 AM)东方琳琅STD Wrote: Very very sad to know such a gorgeous king was killed in this way! I guess Mara is not the heaven of lions at all.

Your rigjt my friend, it is not was it is cracked up to be. It might just be almost the worst place for a free roaming wild lion as they are constantly being killed. The cattle have increased 10-fold since the covid1984 lock downs and it is on a path to no end currently. If they continue with increasing the cattle #'s they will overtake all the lion habitat. Cattle is like money and wealth for the massai people. Govt or Private sector needs to step in quickly and solve this before its too late. Same crap goes on in Serenghetti. The Saudis own property right next to Serenghetti and do excursions into the park to hunt and trap lions. Its friggin sick. I wanna throw up.

I have been thinking about what we can do. Wondering if it works by sending messages to the Tanzania government or protesting in front of the Tanzania Embassy.
3 users Like BorntobeWild's post

BigLion39 Offline

(09-24-2022, 08:02 AM)东方琳琅STD Wrote: I have been thinking about what we can do. Wondering if it works by sending messages to the Tanzania government or protesting in front of the Tanzania Embassy.

I sent an email to the Mara Park Principal Secretary of the State Dept of Tourism a few weeks ago. Heres the video that I got the info from. The info is in the description. Unfortunately both Kenya and Tanzania would have to work together as the Massai land traverse both countries.

https://youtu.be/xH1wuSfl1fw
6 users Like BigLion39's post