There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

@Kingtheropod, may you post more information about the 280 kg tiger of the Ghunghuti forest?

Also, if any one have more information about this large male, please put it here, there more confirmations of it, it produce a better accuracy.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I just received "the return of the unicorn" by Eric Dinerstein and I figured I post the famous 270kg male info here

*This image is copyright of its original author

A side note, this book looks really interesting, I cannot wait to read it. Lots of Rhino weights and data.
8 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 01-24-2017, 11:00 AM by Kingtheropod )

(01-15-2017, 12:40 PM)GuateGojira Wrote: @Kingtheropod, may you post more information about the 280 kg tiger of the Ghunghuti forest?

Also, if any one have more information about this large male, please put it here, there more confirmations of it, it produce a better accuracy.

I wish I knew more, but the only thing mentioning this animal is the articles from 'Press trust of India' and 'India today'.

However, the articles says it is a direct quote from the Chief wildlife conservator that witnessed the event, so I consider it reliable. The question remains is it estimated or actually weighed? My guess it was probably weighed because they needed to transport it to the new enclosure, so they probably weighed it in the traveling process.

I messaged the page and asked them more about it. Hopefully they respond.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/tiger...16483.html
3 users Like Kingtheropod's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Kamal Jagati 
The first time in the mountain of Uttarakhand, he has been brought back to nainital zoo. In The Cāndapura Village Village, the team of the forest, the forest department has taken a ruins in the wire of the forest. After getting information from villagers, three teams from nainital, 100 kilometres away from nainital to the scene. D. एफ.ओ.समेत s. D. Aww. And the zoo's ranger also reached the scene of the opportunity. After many hours, 7:30 pm the tiger was fainted. Ten Feet long and nearly five years old, one of the three times of age, the forest personnel took up in the cage and brought him high terrestrial wildlife garden.

3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

BrettandConnie Yount

College of the Ozarks
Another one of the areas of the museum I loved! This Bengal tiger was 11' long & weighed 575lbs! Amazing! Look how beautiful all of these animals are!

I think it's the one above not below, but I'm not positive.

3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 02-24-2017, 10:38 AM by Kingtheropod )

Tiger meets a tragic end

The carcass of a tiger, which died in the early hours of Tuesday at the Dara Wildlife Sanctuary, 52 km from Kota, in Rajasthan.

"JAIPUR JULY 16. The tiger which was a cause for jubilation for the wildlifers in Hadauti region of Rajasthan died a tragic death in the early hours of Tuesday after straying on to the rail track.
The lone feline which roamed the forests of Kota after entering Rajasthan territory seemingly from the neighbouring Madhya Pradesh's Gandhi Sagar sanctuary in April this year, was killed inside the Darah sanctuary while trying to escape the wheels of the Rajdhani Express heading from Mumbai to Delhi.
Curiously enough, the appearance of this tiger in the woods of Kota after a gap of 17 years was one of the arguments put forth by the Forest Minister, Bina Kak, last month to strengthen her plea for declaring Darah as the third National Park in the State. The tiger, a male, weighed 149 kg and was 8 feet 10 inches in length.
The mishap took place around 4 a.m. on July 15. According to Ravindra Singh Tomar, a naturalist who has been following its movements ever since it crossed over to Rajasthan, the animal did not come under the train. After running some distance in front of the train, the tiger jumped across it — in the process hitting the hillock on the side of the mountainous track.
"The body was found opposite Abli Meeli, a historical building situated inside the sanctuary," Mr. Tomar, also a member of the Hadauti Naturalist Society, informed The Hindu on telephone from Kota.
Mr. Tomar was the only one to photograph it when the carcass of the tiger was moved on the rail trolley to Darah station in a style reminding one of the Raj days. The carcass was later transported to Kota by truck.
The train driver had tried to save the animal by slowing down but it was to no avail. As such, the Mumbai-Delhi double-track rail line always remains busy in this area.
"The tiger fractured its skull into many pieces by his leap. The hillocks on both sides of the track are 50 feet high and there was no place for the tiger to escape,'' Mr. Tomar, who has taken pictures of the same tiger's kill on seven occasions, said.
``The hind portion of the animal hit the side of the train but the cause of death was head injury,'' Mr. Tomar added. A few rib bones of the animal were also broken.
As Hadauti mourned its one and only tiger of the decade, the conservationists find solace in the fact that the woods of Darah are lovely, dark and deep enough for the tigers."

http://www.thehindu.com/2003/07/17/stori...781300.htm

Keep in mind though, this tiger was hit by a train, and was also very old. If I'm reading it correctly, this tiger was over 17 years old. The actual age is not stated.
2 users Like Kingtheropod's post

Bigcat Expert

This "wild" tiger was a descendant of a captive cat. However, he was still a wild animal technically.

Tiger Canyon - Seatao weighed 229 kg.

Hello Friends 
On the 22nd of June 2016, the male tiger Seatao was found dead in the bush at Tiger Canyons. There were no visible injuries on Seatao and no signs of a fight. It appears that Seatao died of natural causes, he was 10 years old. 
Seatao came to me as a 3 weeks old cub. The breeder who bred Seatao, never told me that he was a carrier of the rare white gene. (Seatao’s father was a white tiger and his mother was a normal tigress.)
Seatao came with a female cub called Shadow (DNA profiling later proved Seatao and Shadow were not related.) 

I named him by merging my two boys names Sean and Tao = Seatao. As I walked with Seatao and swam in dams, two things became apparent, Seatao had a very nice nature and secondly he was going to be big, very big! 
One day I took Shadow and Seatao down to the Wilderness to show to the pupils at Hoekwil school. (Sean and Tao went to Hoekwil.) On the way down I was stopped in a roadblock to inspect my vehicle. (The license had expired.)  While the traffic inspector was inspecting my truck, Seatao began to give a distress call in the back. The traffic officer asked me what was crying in the truck and I replied “A tiger”.  
Not believing me, the traffic officer opened the back of the truck and out jumped Seatao. This sent the traffic officers scattering in all directions. Having assured them that he was only  a cub, all the traffic officers posed for pictures with Seatao (The traffic officers used their speed camera to take the pictures.) 
After the photo shoot and having given each officer a DVD copy of “Living with Tigers”, I went on my way (The traffic officers forgot to fine me for having an expired motor vehicle license.) 
When I arrived in the Wilderness, I put Seatao and Shadow in a box in the bedroom where I was staying. Seatao cried so hard that I took him in to my bed. Here he regained his confidence immediately, took a short cat nap and then he and Shadow proceeded to destroy the bedroom. 
Unlike Ron and Julie who I had hunted with for 4 years, Seatao and Shadow had their own boma stocked with game. Seatao became a very good hunter, although he mostly pirated the kills from Shadow. 
One day Shadow killed two blesbuck. The first one Seatao pirated, the second Shadow hid in a pool of water. Seatao followed the drag and then using his feet, located the kill in the water. Seatao dragged the blesbuck to where he had left the first kill. Here he proceeded to eat both blesbuck and never shared with Shadow. 

On one occasion, I witnessed Seatao and Shadow co-operating in a hunt. The two tigers surrounded a Cape Clawless Otter in a pool. The otter was too quick for the tigers to catch. Seatao walked out of the pool and positioned himself on the top of the bank above the pool. Shadow maneuvered the otter to a position beneath Seatao. With a dramatic leap, Seatao dropped onto the unsuspecting otter, killing it with a bite to the neck.
Ron my original tiger who came from Bowmansville Zoo in Canada, was in one large area and Seatao was in another area. 
Dividing the 2 male tigers, was an electric fence with an automatic gate which worked on remote control. One day the gate opened on the remote and then closed and then reopened. Ron moved through the open gate and into Seatao’s area. I knew I must prepare for the “Rumble in the Jungle”. 
I have filmed male lions fighting. It is nothing compared to male tigers. Although only 3 years old and up against a more experienced fighter, Seatao eventually had Ron down and was throttling him. Determined not to let Seatao kill Ron, I fired shots into the ground next to the fighting tigers. Fortunately they separated and I was able to get Ron back to his area. (Ron had not been in a vehicle for four years, yet I was able to load him and take him back).
Five years later Ron was killed in a territorial fight. Seatao found the body and attacked it for 20 minutes. Seatao picked up Ron clean off the ground and shook him like a rag doll. (I estimated Ron’s weight at 200 kg.)
I remember vividly when attempting to weigh Seatao, it took 12 strong men to get him onto the scale. Seatao tipped the scale at 229 kg.
Seatao readily jumped onto the bonnet of the Mahindra vehicles. One could physically feel the vehicle sag under Seatao’s weight. ....

See more below...

http://www.jvbigcats.co.za/newsletters133.htm

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-24-2017, 11:36 AM by Rishi )

(02-24-2017, 10:33 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote: This "wild" tiger was a descendant of a captive cat. However, he was still a wild animal technically.

Hello Friends 
On the 22nd of June 2016, the male tiger Seatao was found dead in the bush at Tiger Canyons. There were no visible injuries on Seatao and no signs of a fight. It appears that Seatao died of natural causes, he was 10 years old. 
Seatao came to me as a 3 weeks old cub. The breeder who bred Seatao, never told me that he was a carrier of the rare white gene. (Seatao’s father was a white tiger and his mother was a normal tigress.)
Seatao came with a female cub called Shadow (DNA profiling later proved Seatao and Shadow were not related.) 

Five years later Ron was killed in a territorial fight. Seatao found the body an
I remember vividly when attempting to weigh Seatao, it took 12 strong men to get him onto the scale. Seatao tipped the scale at 229 kg.
Seatao readily jumped onto the bonnet of the Mahindra vehicles. One could physically feel the vehicle sag under Seatao’s weight...
I dont understand one thing... If he tipped the <230kg scale at 229, can his weight assumed to be the same??!?!!!  Weird
Because saw the video of that fight Varty filmed & remember him stating Seatao was about 240 kgs.

Same is done with Madla of Panna, everyone states his weight as 250 kilos, where actually he TIPPED scale!!!  Little help, plz...
1 user Likes Rishi's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-24-2017, 11:35 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 10:33 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote: This "wild" tiger was a descendant of a captive cat. However, he was still a wild animal technically.

Hello Friends 

Five years later Ron was killed in a territorial fight. Seatao found the body an
I remember vividly when attempting to weigh Seatao, it took 12 strong men to get him onto the scale. Seatao tipped the scale at 229 kg.
Seatao readily jumped onto the bonnet of the Mahindra vehicles. One could physically feel the vehicle sag under Seatao’s weight...
I dont understand one thing... If he tipped the <230kg scale at 229, can his weight assumed to be the same??!?!!!  Weird 
Because saw the video of that fight Varty filmed & remember him stating Seatao was about 240 kgs.

Same is done with Madla of Panna, everyone states his weight as 250 kilos, where actually he TIPPED scale!!!  Little help, plz...

Here is a email from Raghu Chundawat.
I hope it helps.

4 users Like Apollo's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-25-2017, 08:40 AM by Rishi )

(02-25-2017, 12:16 AM)Apollo Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 11:35 AM)Rishi Wrote:

Hello Friends 

I remember vividly when attempting to weigh Seatao, it took 12 strong men to get him onto the scale. Seatao tipped the scale at 229 kg.
I dont understand one thing... If he tipped the <230kg scale at 229, can his weight assumed to be the same??!?!!!  Weird 

Here is a email from Raghu Chundawat.
I hope it helps.

Well  Laughing
I understand those basics..duh!!! 

That's not what I'm asking...Here, they just assumed everything beyond 250kg to be stomach content. While an expert of Chundawat's stature can estimate its mass to a degree of accuracy by looking at tigers belly...say 15±3 kgs.
That means, he took the pointer to stop at 265kgs, making Madla's empty weight 250kgs.
Now..how do we know, where the pointer WAS GONNA STOP??!?!!!
But suppose the pointer were to stop at 275kilos, which it couldn't due to scale being limited. That would imply he weighed 260kilos...

See my confusion!?..How do we know that base from where stomach content's mass is to be subtracted?!  Weird
1 user Likes Rishi's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Maharashtra: Study chronicles the adaptability journey of iconic tiger Jai’s cubs

A year-long monitoring of his two radio-collared sub-adult Bittu and Srinivas, has for the first time shed light on how cubs take baby steps to survive in stressful territories

Bittu; above, missing tiger Jai’s sub-adult cubs, were monitored through their radio collar in a year-long project. Photo courtesy WII

WHEN iconic tiger Jai (T1) from Vidarbha’s Umred Karhandla Wildlife Sanctuary (UKWS) went missing in April 2016, it raised a lot of questions — ranging from the quality of tiger protection and monitoring to the utility and efficacy of radio collars.

A year-long monitoring of his two radio-collared sub-adult cubs T9 and T10, popularly known as Bittu and Srinivas, has for the first time shed light on how cubs take baby steps to survive in stressful territories dominated by humans and adult tigers to gain enough weight — physical and in terms of might — to throw around in the future.

This is the longest period for which sub-adult male tigers have been monitored through a GPS PLUS radio collar anywhere in the country. Fitted first on March 17 last year on both the siblings, the collars were replaced with new ones in January (T10) and February (T9), which will hopefully extend the monitoring till the time the two grow into mighty adults able to challenge superior males.

And the results so far have thrown up an interesting journey through thick forests and patchy corridors, streams and rivers, highways and railway tracks and farmlands and human settlements, on different trajectories.

A study by Wildlife Institute of India team led by scientist Bilal Habib, his colleague Parag Nikam, researchers Pallavi Ghaskadvi and Zahidul Hussain and former Pench Tiger Reserve Field Director Srinivas Reddy has shown how the two brothers have survived through these areas living like nomads, often staying at a particular place for just 4-5 days and at least once crossing each other’s paths —which led to T9 (Bittu) getting pushed out.
“We have known dispersing tigers pass through fragmented corridors and survive in non-protected forests and human-dominated landscapes, but this is the first time we have actually been able to track their journey for such a long period. The two tigers siblings were just 21 months old when first radio-collared after they showed the signs of wandering out of the eastern part of UKWS. Today, they are about 32 months old and on the cusp of full adulthood. It will be a short while before they join the league of full-grown dominant tigers living like kings in their chosen areas,” Habib told The Indian Express.

Srinivas; above, tiger Jai’s other sub-adult cubs. Photo courtesy WII

Today, both already weigh a huge 230 kg, only a tad below their father’s 240 kg. Interestingly, they have also been photographed with females.Starting from UKWS, the two have walked different paths to currently settle in non-protected Bramhapuri territorial forest of Chandrapur district, with T10 also switching between Bramhapuri and Paoni in Bhandara district.

Incidentally, the whole non-protected landscape between UKWS fringes to Bramhapuri, about 100 km apart, has around 27 tigers, perhaps the highest number for such an area anywhere.

The two had first started moving away from their mother (T3, Fairy) together. Initially, they would separate but meet in a few hours’ time.

The separation grew to days and then Srinivas moved to the adjoining Paoni range and returned to the sanctuary after four days.

He then started moving towards the southern part along the mighty Vainganga river, successfully hunting preys.

Bittu, meanwhile, remained confined to his home range. He then followed in his brother’s footsteps to Paoni. During this period, which were monsoon months, Srinivas travelled right up to Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve (TATR) and returned to Paoni range, covering 320 km in two months.

“Tigers often choose the monsoon to walk around as there is a lot of undergrowth offering cover. And more interestingly, this was the period when a hectic search was on to locate Jai. Yet, nobody noticed the radio-collared Srinivas, showing the tiger’s ability to escape human eye,” Habib said.

This journey was quite like that of his father Jai, who was known to walk from UKWS to Bramhapuri and back, covering a huge area of over 600 sq km, often pairing with as many as four tigresses in these areas.

Srinivas’ tracking revealed interesting facts, like his not staying in a particular area for more than four days, swimming twice across the Vainganga, walking through farms at night and resting in forests in the daytime and generally hunting wild preys.

Bittu had, meanwhile, settled in Paoni but was edged out by Srinivas after he returned there. It was here that Bittu had to start his southward journey. He, however, showed a different character. He rested at night and peak day hours and was active only at dusk and dawn. He travelled along all possible patches — roads, railway tracks, lakes and even village roads. And unlike Srinivas, he was spotted by many villagers.

Ten months after the radio-collaring, Habib’s team was preparing to put the new collar around the cubs’ necks, since the batteries of the first were running out of steam.

“It, however, turned out to be a very difficult task with T9 remaining elusive in Ghodazari forest in Chandrapur district for days. T10 was freshly collared in the Bramhapuri forest,” Habib said.
Habib added: “The study has shown that tigers too could be as adoptable as leopards to the most trying conditions when it comes to their survival. It also prompts us to think in terms of having a conservation strategy for tigers outside PAs. If integrated with the interest of the locals, it could fetch handsome monetary dividends to the latter through conservancy tourism.”

source: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/m...s-4550422/

Kingtheropod, take note of the weights of these two.

interestingly both Bittu and Srinivas, around the same age as Jai's other male cub from Chandi tigress. "Jaychand" were smaller than him.

here's Jaichand's recent picture from January/2017

If Bittu and Srinivas are 230kg now, this guy is easily a tad bit bigger and in his prime. he will set the records straight. 

238kg Jai's summer weight.
230kg Bittu (32 months old) winter weight.
230kg Srinivas (32 months old) winter weight.
5 users Like Roflcopters's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

Those two sub-adults are on track for the big 270 kg mark, interesting.
2 users Like tigerluver's post

Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 05-17-2017, 02:39 AM by Kingtheropod )

Here is an update of one of the tigers shown in roflcopters post.

One of the young tigers T10 which weighed 230 kilograms sadly died.

Maharashtra: Tiger dies of electrocution, two held

The 230-kg tiger was electrocuted when it came in contact with a live wire in a paddy field.

Tiger T10, whose radio collar was found on April 20 in the Nagbhid forest range in Maharashtra’s Chandrapur district, was electrocuted when it came in contact with a live wire in a paddy field, officials said. Mahadev Irpate (65), the farmer in whose field the 230-kg tiger was electrocuted, has been arrested. His aide Subhash Uike (55), who allegedly helped him bury the tiger in the paddy farm has also been arrested.
“The farmer has admitted to his crime,” said Wildlife Institute of India Scientist Bilal Habib, who radio-collared the big cat twice, first in February 2016 and then in December 2016.

Principal Chief Conservator of Forest (wildlife) Shri Bhagwan said the accused have been booked under Section 9 of the Wildlife Protection Act. He added that all body parts of the animal were found to be intact. The tiger, also known as Srinivas, was three-year old.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/m...d-4631197/

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-18-2017, 04:19 AM by Pckts )

I'm a bit skeptical on the 230kg claim, who weighed them and when, cause the only time I remember them being weighed was a year or two ago when they were still young and under 150kg.
Also, if one was found buried, I'd assume decomposition set in so most likely he wasn't weighed then.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Expert

(05-18-2017, 03:58 AM)Pckts Wrote: I'm a bit skeptical on the 230kg claim, who weighed them and when, cause the only time I remember them being weighed was a year or two ago when they were still young and under 150kg.
Also, if one was found buried, I'd  assume decomposition set in so most likely he wasn't weighed then.

I think he was weighed when they collared him. He was collared twice so I assume the 230 kg figure is from his second radio collaring.
4 users Like Kingtheropod's post