There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-20-2022, 12:31 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 11:11 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(12-18-2022, 09:02 PM)Charger01 Wrote:
(12-18-2022, 06:23 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(12-18-2022, 01:08 PM)Charger01 Wrote: Tranquilization sheet for Ustad (T-24). Eye witness can confirm Ustad was weighed on a scale. Length taken along the curves.
At canine length of 9 cm, I think we have a new record holder dethroning Madla.

I little heavy for his body length, most likely gorged.
His measurements are fairly normal for a territory holding male. In regards to Madla’s canines, I’m not sure if his were measured along the curves or in a straight line?

The eye witness said gut fill was low enough that nothing could have been ascertained for how much was eaten prior to getting weighed.

This is Ustad. Here he’s full. 
*This image is copyright of its original author

Not clear cut 

That’s a different angle where his stripes helps hide the stomach although I still see content there. the photo I posted clearly shows stomach content.
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-20-2022, 12:41 AM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(12-18-2022, 01:08 PM)Charger01 Wrote: Tranquilization sheet for Ustad (T-24). Eye witness can confirm Ustad was weighed on a scale. Length taken along the curves.

His measurements are fairly normal for a territory holding male. In regards to Madla’s canines, I’m not sure if his were measured along the curves or in a straight line?

The eye witness said gut fill was low enough that nothing could have been ascertained for how much was eaten prior to getting weighed.

Not clear cut 

That’s a different angle where his stripes helps hide the stomach although I still see content there. the photo I posted clearly shows stomach content.
And he's also not rolled on his back where gravity will push is stomach backwards to condense it in a smaller area. 
It could also be a completely different capture a swell. Regardless, it's not clear cut but still little doubt he had some content with those dimensions and that weight.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-20-2022, 05:15 AM by Pckts )

(12-18-2022, 11:39 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote:

isnt this combination of darting medicine causes vomiting?

Can cause isn't the same as vomiting every time. It's no different than a side effect from any drug you take, it's not something that happens all the time. 

"During the hospitalisation period, no severe adverse reactions (ie, seizures, dysphoria, hyperthermia, respiratory depression, hypotension, bradycardia, bradyarrhythmias) were recorded. One tiger (tiger 4) in the SP group showed slight signs of nausea (ie, ptyalism and lip licking) a few minutes after drug administration, while two tigers (tigers 1 and 9) in the NSP group vomited before attaining lateral recumbency. Throughout the time the animals were immobilised, no signs of eventual sudden arousal (eg, spontaneous eyelid movement, nystagmus and pedalling) were observed in either the SP or the NSP group."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7640590/

Only 2/18 Tigers vomited Meaning odds are high that Tigers sedated generally will not vomit.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

(12-20-2022, 01:16 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Not clear cut 

And he's also not rolled on his back where gravity will push is stomach backwards to condense it in a smaller area. 
It could also be a completely different capture a swell. Regardless, it's not clear cut but still little doubt he had some content with those dimensions and that weight.

seems like two different captures, all the forest staff look different in both the pictures comparatively.

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 12-20-2022, 05:58 AM by Charger01 )

Not clear cut 

That's what I think. You can see, his forelimbs as well as hindlimbs are being pulled onto the plank but his trunk is still off of it, and it's pushing into his side. 

Whatever it might be, the source of the tranq sheet (also the eye witness present for the whole procedure) said it was not significant enough to tell anything. If it was anything. Others shouldn't judge it based on one pic with weird position of the animal.
3 users Like Charger01's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-20-2022, 05:29 AM)Roflcopters Wrote:

Not clear cut 

seems like two different captures, all the forest staff look different in both the pictures comparatively.
Maybe but the one I posted was during his capture to the Zoo. It was from the coming documentary. 

He clearly has stomach content. 

You can see in the video when he was released in his enclosure, that he has stomach content. https://youtu.be/pCyMXlukFTk go to minute 1:14. As  Ustad struggled to eat in captivity and lost a lot of weight, this is likely after the release. 
As the measurements suggest he had a fair share of stomach content during the weighing.
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

abhisingh7 Offline

Not clear cut 

yes these two capture is different , his final capture is from june , while in another pic people wearing winter clothes could be of when he was captured while aged 3.5 when he was said to be weighted 240kgs by many people .

abhisingh7 Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-20-2022, 04:25 PM by abhisingh7 )

(12-20-2022, 04:50 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Can cause isn't the same as vomiting every time. It's no different than a side effect from any drug you take, it's not something that happens all the time. 

"During the hospitalisation period, no severe adverse reactions (ie, seizures, dysphoria, hyperthermia, respiratory depression, hypotension, bradycardia, bradyarrhythmias) were recorded. One tiger (tiger 4) in the SP group showed slight signs of nausea (ie, ptyalism and lip licking) a few minutes after drug administration, while two tigers (tigers 1 and 9) in the NSP group vomited before attaining lateral recumbency. Throughout the time the animals were immobilised, no signs of eventual sudden arousal (eg, spontaneous eyelid movement, nystagmus and pedalling) were observed in either the SP or the NSP group."

Only 2/18 Tigers vomited Meaning odds are high that Tigers sedated generally will not vomit.

yes but as charger quoted the vet said not much significant visible content , so content can be 5-10kg we can assume i guess which is part of its system , its very less chance  to get a big wild cat 100% empty .being pulled over a strethcer makes his stomach look like that so in this  case the quote of vet is important i think .

abhisingh7 Offline

(12-20-2022, 07:01 AM)Pantherinae Wrote:

Not clear cut 

Maybe but the one I posted was during his capture to the Zoo. It was from the coming documentary. 

You can see in the video when he was released in his enclosure, that he has stomach content. https://youtu.be/pCyMXlukFTk go to minute 1:14. As  Ustad struggled to eat in captivity and lost a lot of weight, this is likely after the release. 
As the measurements suggest he had a fair share of stomach content during the weighing.
bro it takes 8-10 hour of car drive from sajjangargh to ranthambhore if there is no heavy traffic i have travelled on that route few times   , for heavy vehicle it will take 12-14 hours normal . ustaad was first kept in separate enclousre for few days then sent to sajjanghargh udaipur zoo ,it looks like a random click by a zoo visiter .

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-20-2022, 04:29 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote:

Not clear cut 

bro it takes 8-10 hour of car drive from sajjangargh to ranthambhore if there is no heavy traffic i have travelled on that route few times   , for heavy vehicle it will take 12-14 hours normal . ustaad was first kept in separate enclousre for few days then sent to sajjanghargh udaipur zoo ,it looks like a random click by a zoo visiter .

This was a from a surveillance camera, I don’y know if it is from the Zoo or his holding era, but we know he struggled to eat in captivity and would very unlikely get fed this amount of food (as we see on the video) from the zoo. 
So the holding era is probably even more likely as it would take fewer hours to drive.

abhisingh7 Offline

(12-20-2022, 05:49 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(12-20-2022, 04:29 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote:

(12-18-2022, 06:23 PM)Pckts Wrote: I little heavy for his body length, most likely gorged.

Not clear cut 

This was a from a surveillance camera, I don’y know if it is from the Zoo or his holding era, but we know he struggled to eat in captivity and would very unlikely get fed this amount of food (as we see on the video) from the zoo. 
So the holding era is probably even more likely as it would take fewer hours to drive.

its udaipur zoo pic , also written on screen udaipur in hindi , udaipur zoo to ranthambhore is about 470km . just google it . i have been to udaipur city twice and also visited ranthambore national park once . yes he became very thin in zoo but after few months his condition improved a little bit but not like he was before in junlge .

Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-20-2022, 04:21 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote:

yes but as charger quoted the vet said not much significant visible content , so content can be 5-10kg we can assume i guess which is part of its system , its very less chance  to get a big wild cat 100% empty .being pulled over a strethcer makes his stomach look like that so in this  case the quote of vet is important i think .

It’s not a Vet who is quoted, It’s someone who was part of the capture. 
Regardless, there’s certainly some food content and if that picture is the correct timeline then it is visible enough, definitely not as embellished but still visible. Like numerous biologist say (Hoogestejin, Smutts, Almeida,) you can never know how much food content a cat has until you cut it open. Estimating off of Baits is your 2nd best option but not as conclusive.
Also I agree that the CCTV video holds no weight since there is no timestamp between capture to that video and the distance the Tiger had to travel is too far for him not to have digested a good amount of food if necessary.

strongmanw7 Offline

(12-20-2022, 08:30 PM)Pckts Wrote:

Regardless, there’s certainly some food content and if that picture is the correct timeline then it is visible enough, definitely not as embellished but still visible. Like numerous biologist say (Hoogestejin, Smutts, Almeida,) you can never know how much food content a cat has until you cut it open. Estimating off of Baits is your 2nd best option but not as conclusive.
Also I agree that the CCTV video holds no weight since there is no timestamp between capture to that video and the distance the Tiger had to travel is too far for him not to have digested a good amount of food if necessary.

so how much ustaad would be empty as per u?

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-21-2022, 09:07 PM by Pckts )

(12-21-2022, 08:52 PM)strongmanw7 Wrote:

Food content could be anywhere from 5-30kgs but it’s impossible to know. Based off his dimensions I’d estimate him around the 220-240kg mark empty. If we knew some girth dimensions it’d be a big help.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

strongmanw7 Offline

(12-21-2022, 09:04 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 08:52 PM)strongmanw7 Wrote:

Food content could be anywhere from 5-30kgs but it’s impossible to know. Based off his dimensions I’d estimate him around the 220-240kg mark empty. If we knew some girth dimensions it’d be a big help.

yes girth dimension would give more clarity , but 30-38kg content would be visible to observer , a little to moderate content would go unnoticed like 5-15kg . 220 means nearly 40kg of content .
1 user Likes strongmanw7's post