There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-23-2022, 09:28 PM)Khan85 Wrote: Is this all because I said I wouldn't mention the name of the sources? I have very strong reasons to do so, recently I've seen too many people get spammed in emails and DMs regarding the same lion/tiger in discussion. So excuse me if I don't give their names to you, it's not happening, unless I myself choose to tell them. Just so you know, I did tell some people here along screenshots of emails/DMs confirming these tiger weights but these are the people I trust. You can choose to disregard these weights but know that except for the 250 kg Valmiki Tiger (picked from a newspaper) and 258 kg Ustad (confirmation from a filmmaker), all others are 100% verified by contacting the vets/researchers directly involved in the process, some even verified twice.

I’ve seen first hand your sources and most are legitimate and I’ve said as much. My response was in regards to the name calling some directed towards a user for questioning Ustaads weight which are legitimate concerns.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Tommy oliver Offline
New Join

@Guate 

Hi nice to meet you again

I find new study about tiger subspecies

Here the study:

.pdf   n048p087.pdf (Size: 3.73 MB / Downloads: 13)
2 users Like Tommy oliver's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 07-24-2022, 12:45 AM by Roflcopters )

(07-23-2022, 11:24 AM)Ashutosh Wrote: @GreenForest, there is no way a tiger weighing 200 kilos will weigh 240-250 kilo after stomach content. Yes, they have large appetites and can eat 12-15% of their body weights, but that still doesn’t translate into a 200 kilo tiger weighing 240-250 kilos.

A tiger weighing 250 kilos with maximum stomach content is most likely a male that weighs 220-230 kilos empty depending on when he has eaten.

That percentage is the maximum an individual eats and that figure is only correctly assumed as the tiger has just finished eating (and most likely drinking). The further you go away from this moment, the stomach content is expelled pretty rapidly in large cats as their digestive system is very short which therefore reduces stomach content.

You nailed it @Ashutosh

there’s a lot of other things involved when food content is taken into consideration. 30kg-50kg is a high number and unrealistic. just because a tiger can eat that in one sitting doesn’t mean it will be the case every time. i spoke to several people over the years in regards to the food content when tigers are weighed. i was quoted 13-27kg, 10-30kg and 15-45kg. the lowest number of food consumption was nowhere near 30kg in a single day. there’s a lot of other things. 

- was the tiger baited?
- did the tiger appear to have a full belly?
- what animal was used as a bait?
- how much meat did the tiger actually devour in one sitting? 
- tigers can take anywhere from a few days to a week or more to finish feeding on a kill (depending on the kill size and tiger’s family structure.)
- did the tiger share kill with tigress/cubs?

we had these debates in the past, if anyone is interesting in reading. 

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-who-is-the-king-of-tigers-bengal-or-amur?page=12

post #169 all the way to #180

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan

(07-23-2022, 11:04 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(07-23-2022, 09:28 PM)Khan85 Wrote: Is this all because I said I wouldn't mention the name of the sources? I have very strong reasons to do so, recently I've seen too many people get spammed in emails and DMs regarding the same lion/tiger in discussion. So excuse me if I don't give their names to you, it's not happening, unless I myself choose to tell them. Just so you know, I did tell some people here along screenshots of emails/DMs confirming these tiger weights but these are the people I trust. You can choose to disregard these weights but know that except for the 250 kg Valmiki Tiger (picked from a newspaper) and 258 kg Ustad (confirmation from a filmmaker), all others are 100% verified by contacting the vets/researchers directly involved in the process, some even verified twice.

I’ve seen first hand your sources and most are legitimate and I’ve said as much. My response was in regards to the name calling some directed towards a user for questioning Ustaads weight which are legitimate concerns.

I meant to quote @GreenForest there. Forgot to mention him my bad.
1 user Likes Charger01's post

abhisingh7 Offline

(07-22-2022, 11:05 PM)Roflcopters Wrote: @strongmanw7 

that’s because he is a massive tiger for sure. he rules all the former territories of the previous thunder male that weighed over 300kg+ from the same area.

*This image is copyright of its original author

where he comes from, there’s many more with huge skulls. 

Charger male of Dudhwa with an enormous skull. pictures can sometimes be deceiving so let’s try this again from a far distance.

Charger male from far away, you will immediately notice the size of his skull. 

Charger male again, you can’t miss this. his skull size is unreal. 

Charger male 

here’s Bhavani male, check the skull size of his head. 

Bankati male from far distance (brother of Sathiana male) even from a far shot, you can’t unsee this.

lets try a real closer 

check the size of his head. 

Gulrighat - check the size of his head

further distance

old charger male (the original one)
it looks to me deep dense vegetation of dudhwa , pilibhit have preserved the big exceptional  genetic line from big game hunting , nepal and corbett(kumuon) have suffered from trophy hunting of big males like bachlor of powalghar or 1942 male , by the way that record 413 mm skull mentioned in wiki (whether real or not ) was from nagina which is close to dudhwa national park .   we might get biggest measured tigers from dudhwa and pilibhit  if they publish the paper like panna authorities .
2 users Like abhisingh7's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-24-2022, 11:51 PM by Ashutosh )

@abhisingh7, that is not entirely true. The most impressive population is from Ramnagar Forest Division and Nainital Forest Division. You can look at the males and females and each of them stand out.

While I really doubt there is still any individual bigger than this Rajaji individual. Forest Personnel confessed that he has the largest paw print they have ever seen. Even the Ring Road male doesn’t stand out like this guy:

2 users Like Ashutosh's post

abhisingh7 Offline

(07-24-2022, 11:46 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: @abhisingh7, that is not entirely true. The most impressive population is from Ramnagar Forest Division and Nainital Forest Division. You can look at the males and females and each of them stand out.

While I really doubt there is still any individual bigger than this Rajaji individual. Forest Personnel confessed that he has the largest paw print they have ever seen. Even the Ring Road male doesn’t stand out like this guy:

yup i have seen this rajaji male but it wasn't seen again perhaps fell to poaching , this whole terai belt(rajaji , corbett , chitwa , dudhwa , pilibhit , valmiki)  have got big males , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAnunBnzxgQ . but we have pics and videos of approx a dozen big males of dudhwa and pilibhit . i would like to see few more males like khali or that rajaji male from ramnagar division still roaming .yes  i have also heard this there are some huge males in ramnagar division and bijarini zone still now .
1 user Likes abhisingh7's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 07-25-2022, 12:04 AM by Roflcopters )

@Ashutosh @strongmanw7 @abhisingh7 

I always thought this male was the real life representation of that Rajaji male. all Terai tigers are comparable imo. also there is no denying, those are the biggest pugmarks i have ever seen.
2 users Like Roflcopters's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

I don’t know @Roflcopters. That Pilibhit hunk is most definitely a massive male but I still see him a couple of weight classes below the Rajaji male. Look at his length. That is what truly stands out about him.

The issue with Terai males is we rarely get to see them. Look at Corbett. It houses 230+ tigers, and yet all the recognizable adult individuals are all females. We have seen a few from Dudhwa/Kishanpur and the likes, but, it is forest divisions like Ramnagar and Nainital which are completely unexplored.
2 users Like Ashutosh's post

abhisingh7 Offline

(07-25-2022, 12:09 AM)Ashutosh Wrote: I don’t know @Roflcopters. That Pilibhit hunk is most definitely a massive male but I still see him a couple of weight classes below the Rajaji male. Look at his length. That is what truly stands out about him.

The issue with Terai males is we rarely get to see them. Look at Corbett. It houses 230+ tigers, and yet all the recognizable adult individuals are all females. We have seen a few from Dudhwa/Kishanpur and the likes, but, it is forest divisions like Ramnagar and Nainital which are completely unexplored.

male tiger corbett.

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes abhisingh7's post

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan

Bheema 225 kg subadult (2.5 years old)

2 users Like Charger01's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(07-23-2022, 11:38 PM)Tommy oliver Wrote: @Guate 

Hi nice to meet you again

I find new study about tiger subspecies

Here the study:

n048p087.pdf (Size: 3.73 MB / Downloads: 3)

Thank you for the document, I will read it as soon as I can.

Greetings.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Apex Titan Offline

(07-26-2022, 04:55 PM)Khan85 Wrote: Bheema 225 kg subadult (2.5 years old)

A 2.5 year old is a juvenile tiger. At that age he was almost 500 lbs. That means when he was a fully-grown mature male, he likely weighed between 240 - 300 kg.

Do you know how much he weighed as a full-grown adult?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-26-2022, 09:56 PM)Apex Titan Wrote:

A 2.5 year old is a juvenile tiger. At that age he was almost 500 lbs. That means when he was a fully-grown mature male, he likely weighed between 240 - 300 kg.

He was never weighed as an adult unfortunately. 
Kanha had quite a few big youngsters.

Apex Titan Offline

(07-26-2022, 10:16 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(07-26-2022, 09:56 PM)Apex Titan Wrote:

He was never weighed as an adult unfortunately. 
Kanha had quite a few big youngsters.

Its a shame that huge males like Bheema, Umarpani and Kingfisher and others were never weighed. Those are most definitely some tigers of very impressive weights.

Sharad Vats thought that if Umarpani (in his prime) had been weighed and measured, he would have broken some weight and size records.