There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Thanks @abhisingh7 

I didn’t know you were that guy, awesome youtube channel. keep up the good work.  Like

also, I just realized this was all discussed before all the spamming happened just a few months ago.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 04-25-2022, 10:01 PM by GuateGojira )

(04-23-2022, 12:15 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote: hello guate open this link   https://www.nfwf.org/sites/default/files...01-004.pdf   And read page no 47 of raghu journal , the 220-230 weight of madla is estimated weight for drug dose . its predarting weight , in a similar way they estimated one kanha sub-adult as 120kg and it turned out to be 180kg , panna tigers too had estimated predarting weight which is different from real weight , weight of madla is around 250kg as stated by chundawat in his book and he had clearly written in his journal that 220-230 weight is estimated for durg preparation.

Thank you, but that is just a preliminary report, do not show any weight. In that page that you say did mention that they made estimations about the body mass previous de darting and that is correct, but the weight of 220-230 kg is the real weight "adjusted". Now, check this document that was provided to me, here are the real estimations prior to the actual weighing event:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Here you can see the estimated weight and the real weight in parentesis. Madla was estimated at 250 kg and did weighed that much with stomach content, but latter they substracter 20-30 kg and they made that calculation of 220-230 kg. Certainly it was a big male, and taking in count the amount of food intake actually measured from the other male (19 kg), the real weight of Madla was 230 kg empty, maybe a little more.

abhisingh7 Offline

(04-25-2022, 08:08 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-23-2022, 12:15 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote: hello guate open this link   https://www.nfwf.org/sites/default/files...01-004.pdf   And read page no 47 of raghu journal , the 220-230 weight of madla is estimated weight for drug dose . its predarting weight , in a similar way they estimated one kanha sub-adult as 120kg and it turned out to be 180kg , panna tigers too had estimated predarting weight which is different from real weight , weight of madla is around 250kg as stated by chundawat in his book and he had clearly written in his journal that 220-230 weight is estimated for durg preparation. 

Thank you, but that is just a preliminary report, do not show any weight. In that page that you say did mention that they made estimations about the body mass previous de darting and that is correct, but the weight of 220-230 kg is the real weight "adjusted". Now, check this document that was provided to me, here are the real estimations prior to the actual weighing event:yes but old male weight is 240 after* but in second capture its 250, and madla they have written only 250here , as in book its too written 250kg also , now here is the video of capture of madla  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX58LfNBpq0&t=2s  , it looks to me (i could be 100% wrong) he didn't weighted madla becoz he didn't had any weigh in equipment neither enough people to lift madla , you need 8-10 people to lift such heavy tiger , may be before darting he had madla 220-230kg estimate and after taking measurements he estimated madla 250kg(rough chest girth equation) . also madla neck girth a lot larger than modern panna tigers and sauraha male(261kg) , madla canines are larger than sauraha . he looks very longer in the video . tigers a lot avg built have weighted around 220. that 215kg corbett male looks tiny when u compare its lying body with madla . if its indeed 230kg empty then its okkkkk .....................

Here you can see the estimated weight and the real weight in parentesis. Madla was estimated at 250 kg and did weighed that much with stomach content, but latter they substracter 20-30 kg and they made that calculation of 220-230 kg. Certainly it was a big male, and taking in count the amount of food intake actually measured from the other male (19 kg), the real weight of Madla was 230 kg empty, maybe a little more.

Expert & Researcher

(04-26-2022, 09:27 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote: yes but old male weight is 240 after* but in second capture its 250, and madla they have written only 250here , as in book its too written 250kg also , now here is the video of capture of madla  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX58LfNBpq0&t=2s  , it looks to me (i could be 100% wrong) he didn't weighted madla becoz he didn't had any weigh in equipment neither enough people to lift madla , you need 8-10 people to lift such heavy tiger , may be before darting he had madla 220-230kg estimate and after taking measurements he estimated madla 250kg(rough chest girth equation) . also madla neck girth a lot larger than modern panna tigers and sauraha male(261kg) , madla canines are larger than sauraha . he looks very longer in the video . tigers a lot avg built have weighted around 220. that 215kg corbett male looks tiny when u compare its lying body with madla . if its indeed 230kg empty then its okkkkk .....................

About the video, remember that they are not focusing the people/elephants/equipment out of the camera view, and is confirmed that the tigers from Panna were actually weighed. Check that only the weights in parentesis (*) are real weights, so that table only shows that in the second capture M91 was not weighed again, just estimated at 250 kg, based in its previous capture. 

The book that I think you are refering is the one of 2004 "Tiger The Ultimage Guide", in that case it mention the figure of 250 kg and as I said, the tiger did weighed that, but it included stomach content and that is why they estimated an intake between 20-30 kg for him, but based in the real amount recorded from male M91, the reliable weight for M125/Madla was probably 230 kg, based also in the fact that Dr Chundawat says that M91 was the biggest male of the two.

Neck girth and canine length is not related with the body mass, in fact remember that the known measurements of M105/Sauraha came from 1975, when he bottomed the scale of 500 lb. That means that he could be bigger in the next captures, specially in the last one in 1979.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

abhisingh7 Offline

(04-26-2022, 09:55 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-26-2022, 09:27 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote: yes but old male weight is 240 after* but in second capture its 250, and madla they have written only 250here , as in book its too written 250kg also , now here is the video of capture of madla  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX58LfNBpq0&t=2s  , it looks to me (i could be 100% wrong) he didn't weighted madla becoz he didn't had any weigh in equipment neither enough people to lift madla , you need 8-10 people to lift such heavy tiger , may be before darting he had madla 220-230kg estimate and after taking measurements he estimated madla 250kg(rough chest girth equation) . also madla neck girth a lot larger than modern panna tigers and sauraha male(261kg) , madla canines are larger than sauraha . he looks very longer in the video . tigers a lot avg built have weighted around 220. that 215kg corbett male looks tiny when u compare its lying body with madla . if its indeed 230kg empty then its okkkkk .....................

About the video, remember that they are not focusing the people/elephants/equipment out of the camera view, and is confirmed that the tigers from Panna were actually weighed. Check that only the weights in parentesis (*) are real weights, so that table only shows that in the second capture M91 was not weighed again, just estimated at 250 kg, based in its previous capture. 

The book that I think you are refering is the one of 2004 "Tiger The Ultimage Guide", in that case it mention the figure of 250 kg and as I said, the tiger did weighed that, but it included stomach content and that is why they estimated an intake between 20-30 kg for him, but based in the real amount recorded from male M91, the reliable weight for M125/Madla was probably 230 kg, based also in the fact that Dr Chundawat says that M91 was the biggest male of the two.

Neck girth and canine length is not related with the body mass, in fact remember that the known measurements of M105/Sauraha came from 1975, when he bottomed the scale of 500 lb. That means that he could be bigger in the next captures, specially in the last one in 1979. yes bro m91 240* written yes old m91 measured on scale  but in case of madla m125 captured only 250 is written here thats why i said , if 230*(230 in parenthesis ) written i wouldn't have said. 
1 user Likes abhisingh7's post

Expert & Researcher

(04-26-2022, 10:01 PM)abhisingh7 Wrote: yes bro m91 240* written yes old m91 measured on scale  but in case of madla m125 captured only 250 is written here thats why i said , if 230*(230 in parenthesis ) written i wouldn't have said. 

Documents are not perfect, in fact that is a PowerPoint presentation, is real as the person that provided it to me work there, but is not a public document, so they are just showing overall information about the process of capture and measuring, they are not focused in details.

The main word is in the book of Dr Chundawat, so if the books says that was weighed, that is all I need. Any other documents, PDF, PPT or anything else in the internet is secondary.

strongmanw7 Offline

(01-13-2017, 06:13 AM)Pckts Wrote: Bheema from Kahna was 225kg at 2.5,
Confirmed by min and vijay.

Great job! hello can u tell me weight of tiger jai , a lot of newpapers wrote him as 240kg and 250kg while few people say it was 220kg . can u tell me actual data .
1 user Likes strongmanw7's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-26-2022, 11:18 PM)strongmanw7 Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 06:13 AM)Pckts Wrote: Bheema from Kahna was 225kg at 2.5,
Confirmed by min and vijay.

Great job! hello can u tell me weight of tiger jai , a lot of newpapers wrote him as 240kg and 250kg while few people say it was 220kg . can u tell me actual data .

220kg empty
1 user Likes Pckts's post

LonePredator Offline

@GuateGojira Can you tell me what has been the shortest tail length for a Tiger (particularly Bengal if possible) and what was the head-body length of that particular Tiger.
1 user Likes LonePredator's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 04:02 AM by GuateGojira )

(04-27-2022, 11:32 PM)LonePredator Wrote: @GuateGojira Can you tell me what has been the shortest tail length for a Tiger (particularly Bengal if possible) and what was the head-body length of that particular Tiger.

The shortest tail recorded for a male Bengal tiger came from a specimen of 269.3 cm in total length and the tail was of 76.2 cm, taken "between pegs" (Pocock, 1939). For females, the shortes tail recorded is of 79 cm, and came from two tigresses from Cooch Behar, with total length of 222 and 250 cm respectively, adjusted to be "between pegs" (Cooch Behar, 1908).

As far I remember, the shortest tail for a male tiger was of 50.5 cm and came from a Sumatran male tiger (Sody, 1949). The shortest tail for a female tiger is of 68 cm and came from a specimen from Sumatra (Sody, 1949).

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan

(04-28-2022, 02:02 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 11:32 PM)LonePredator Wrote: @GuateGojira Can you tell me what has been the shortest tail length for a Tiger (particularly Bengal if possible) and what was the head-body length of that particular Tiger.

The shortest tail recorded for a male Bengal tiger came from a specimen of 269.3 cm in total length and the tail was of 76.2 cm, taken "between pegs" (Pocock, 1939). For females, the shortes tail recorded is of 79 cm, and came from two tigresses from Cooch Behar, with total length of 222 and 250 cm respectively, adjusted to be "between pegs" (Cooch Behar, 1908).

As far I remember, the shortest tail for a male tiger was of 50.5 cm and came from a Sumatran male tiger (Sody, 1949). The shortest tail for a female tiger is of 68 cm and came from a specimen from Sumatra (Sody, 1949).

Case of Dunbar Brander's giant tiger is also interesting. The tiger's total length was 9ft 11in (302.3 cm) but the tail consituted only 81.3 cm of this, rest 221 cm being head-body length.

Btw can you share the source for Kraft's 600 lb (272 kg) tiger from Nepal? Thank you

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 06:27 PM by Charger01 )

This is the same 4 years old 172.5 kg tiger that was rescued from a rubber factory in bareilly and shifted to Kanpur zoo. Looks in a much better shape, must be in the 200 kgs range 

LonePredator Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 08:48 PM by LonePredator )

(04-28-2022, 06:21 PM)Khan85 Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 02:02 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:

Case of Dunbar Brander's giant tiger is also interesting. The tiger's total length was 9ft 11in (302.3 cm) but the tail consituted only 81.3 cm of this, rest 221 cm being head-body length.

Btw can you share the source for Kraft's 600 lb (272 kg) tiger from Nepal? Thank you

If the Smythsonian Tiger of 389kg also similarly had a tail like this, about an 86cm tail, then the rest of the head body length would be 235cm and a Tiger of that body length (if has the same proportions of an average Bengal Tiger) can mathematically reach upto 396kg.

Now, in the case of the 389kg specimen, the stomach content would have been around 15kg in my opinion. That means a weight of about 370-375kg and if the Tiger was even 225-230cm in head body but was proportionally taller or had a proportionally wider chest then the 389kg is possible. (perhaps not practical but possible)

All we know is the total length between pegs for that Tiger which was 322cm, the rest of the details are unknown so if more measurements were available, then it would have been possible to make better judgements but with a small tail or by being tall and bulky or by having both, the Tiger could have reached that weight for real.

People say that 389kg is impossible but it’s physically possible. If he had that sort of length with a very short tail then the Tiger can definitely support this weight.

Expert & Researcher

(04-28-2022, 06:21 PM)Khan85 Wrote: Btw can you share the source for Kraft's 600 lb (272 kg) tiger from Nepal? Thank you
Yes or course, here it is:

Is along story, full of details of the trip and the hunt, but this is the relevant part. First hand source, measurements provided, certainly a "средненадежные", at least.

LonePredator Offline

@GuateGojira Do you have the measurements of the Smithsonian Tiger? The 389kg one? I could only find that it’s total length was 322cm ‘between pegs’. No more details other than this.