There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-18-2020, 11:14 PM)Shadow Wrote: It has been some time now, since I mentioned that I have been able to discuss with one biologist in India about tigers and weights he knows. Today I got message again after some time. Now I can tell, that this person is Dr. Y. V. Jhala. I can´t still give anything more than before, but hopefully one day. Here is text from his last reply:

"Sorry for the delayed response. I have now become the Dean of the Wildlife Institute of India and time is a difficult commodity. You are welcome to quote me if you feel it will help clarify stands and spread awareness. I have not been able to dig out my old data to chek the tiger weights but hope to get to it shortly. 
regards,

Jhala"

lf and hopefully when I get some more information from him, I will share it as it is. So it´s him who said, that biggest tiger he has weighed was something like 280-290 kg, with his own words:

"I have radio-collared several tigers and the heaviest was around 280-290 kg. But this too is due to a full belly (fully fed). "

So now a little bit less mystery in this matter and hopefully everyone can understand why I have been somewhat careful and why I haven´t wanted to quote too much things from private messaging without being sure, that it´s ok.
If you can find out, you should ask which Kanha Tiger that was.
If we are able to get an individual than we should be able to compare quite a few others since Kanha Tigers are so famous.
Thanks Shadow

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-18-2020, 11:17 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 11:14 PM)Shadow Wrote: It has been some time now, since I mentioned that I have been able to discuss with one biologist in India about tigers and weights he knows. Today I got message again after some time. Now I can tell, that this person is Dr. Y. V. Jhala. I can´t still give anything more than before, but hopefully one day. Here is text from his last reply:

"Sorry for the delayed response. I have now become the Dean of the Wildlife Institute of India and time is a difficult commodity. You are welcome to quote me if you feel it will help clarify stands and spread awareness. I have not been able to dig out my old data to chek the tiger weights but hope to get to it shortly. 
regards,

Jhala"

lf and hopefully when I get some more information from him, I will share it as it is. So it´s him who said, that biggest tiger he has weighed was something like 280-290 kg, with his own words:

"I have radio-collared several tigers and the heaviest was around 280-290 kg. But this too is due to a full belly (fully fed). "

So now a little bit less mystery in this matter and hopefully everyone can understand why I have been somewhat careful and why I haven´t wanted to quote too much things from private messaging without being sure, that it´s ok.
If you can find out, you should ask which Kanha Tiger that was.
If we are able to get an individual than we should be able to compare quite a few others since Kanha Tigers are so famous.
Thanks Shadow

Yeah, I will share all information which I can. Patience is obviously needed, but very nice that he replies every now and then when he finds a bit time. I don´t want to even think how many emails he can get daily Wink
2 users Like Shadow's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

*This image is copyright of its original author

Disclaimer: 
Anything written in Text is from the FB and could possibly be wrong, while any text from the scan is from a book and should be legitimate. 

Ganjam District, India --- Photo shows the Rajah of Mandasa, member of the Madras Legislative Council, who represents the aristocrats of his district. He is a well-known Shikari in the Ganjam District, is a huntsman of repute, and has gained renown throughout India as a hunter of big game. He is shown with his recent catch, a huge tiger, measuring about 9 feet 4 inches in length and 4 feet 2 inches in height.

4 users Like Pckts's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(02-27-2020, 04:58 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Disclaimer: 
Anything written in Text is from the FB and could possibly be wrong, while any text from the scan is from a book and should be legitimate. 

Ganjam District, India --- Photo shows the Rajah of Mandasa, member of the Madras Legislative Council, who represents the aristocrats of his district. He is a well-known Shikari in the Ganjam District, is a huntsman of repute, and has gained renown throughout India as a hunter of big game. He is shown with his recent catch, a huge tiger, measuring about 9 feet 4 inches in length and 4 feet 2 inches in height.

4 feet tall over straight line or over the curve?

India Hello Offline

(02-27-2020, 10:33 AM)johnny rex Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 04:58 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Disclaimer: 

4 feet tall over straight line or over the curve?
Maybe over curves.Its common for bengals to be 120 cm over curves but the tallest standing height was 118 cm

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-27-2020, 04:08 PM by Rishi )

(02-27-2020, 10:33 AM)johnny rex Wrote: 4 feet tall over straight line or over the curve?
(02-27-2020, 03:14 PM)Hello Wrote: Maybe over curves.Its common for bengals to be 120 cm over curves but the tallest standing height was 118 cm

These methods aren't very standardised. Even today, even amongst scientific community. The size is least of their concerns.

This is how they measure...
...and this is what they measure.
Thus the value of "shoulder height" officially stated, will actually never be its true height when the animal is standing itself.
3 users Like Rishi's post

India Hello Offline

Yeah, Most zoos and google states 125 cm for African lion is standing but Its over curves (Measured over tip of extended paw) That image show it

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-15-2020, 08:49 AM by Rishi )

Madhya Pradesh: Tiger that killed woman rescued, sent to Sanjay Tiger Reserve

Aged about 30 months and weighing 130 kg , the sub-adult tiger was trying to establish territory after separating from its mother and reached Sarsawahi, about 12 km from Katni, west of Bandhavgarh. After killing 1 woman & injuring 2 men, the tiger was seen near human settlements which prompted forest authorities to undertake rescue operations with the help of 4 elephants and trained personnel from Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve(BTR) in a 1½ hours long operation.

3 users Like Rishi's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Bigcat Enthusiast

@peter 
Some time ago you made some tables on Assam Tigers and Terai Arc Tigers from most of the old hunting records if I remember correctly.
Do you know where I can find those now?
Thanks

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-17-2020, 05:10 AM by peter )

(04-16-2020, 06:13 PM)Pckts Wrote: @peter 
Some time ago you made some tables on Assam Tigers and Terai Arc Tigers from most of the old hunting records if I remember correctly.
Do you know where I can find those now?
Thanks

All tables on the size of tigers shot in what used to be British India were posted in the tiger extinction thread. The problem is that thread has many pages and no index, meaning you have no option but to go over all posts. Might take some time, but it's the only way to find the tables. I'll start on the index when I have time. 

After I had posted the tables, I ordered a lot of books published in the period 1890-1960. Quite a few of them have information about the size of tigers shot in that period. Furthermore, I recently read all volumes of the JBNHS published in the period 1890-1960 again. I was surprised at what I found. All in all, we're talking about hundreds of records I consider reliable. I'll start on the tables soon. All of them will will be posted in the tiger extinction thread. 

I know 'when I have time' returns all too often these days, but my first goal is to finish the reorganisation of the system I use to find information. It's time-consuming work, but it has a reward in that it will enable me to find my way quickly in the near future.
4 users Like peter's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2020, 06:34 AM by Dark Jaguar )

April 17th 2018

220 kilos male Royal Bengal Tiger killed by tribals by spear injuries for killing wild boar.

http://www.storytrender.com/50212/one-of-only-80-remaining-rare-royal-bengal-tigers-barbarically-killed-by-petrified-tribal-hunters-with-spears-after-it-strayed-into-their-forest-and-hunted-boar/

''One of only 80 remaining rare Royal Bengal Tigers barbarically killed by petrified tribal hunters with spears after it strayed into their forest and hunted boar''

By Taniya Dutta

''The near extinct adult tiger had been roaming the forests of Jangalmahal, Jhargram and Bankura in West Bengal in eastern in India for more than two months and several attempts by forest officials to capture the beast had failed.''

Wild Boar the Royal Bengal Tiger killed.

CATERS NEWS

''Enraged with the forest department’s delay to capture the animal and petrified with the wild cat’s presence in their village, more than 100 tribal hunters from the local villages reportedly decided to take on the 220kg weighing beast themselves with native weapons like lance, bow and arrows.''

Two hunters- Badal Hansda, 16, and Babu Hansda, 35, came face-to-face with the tiger and attacked its face repeatedly with spears until it died.  They too were injured in the incident.

An eyewitness Shambu Nath said:'' We saw the Giant Tiger and a boar fighting in the middle of the jungle. The boar was big and must weighed ''1.5 quintal'' but the tiger killed it and started eating its flesh.''

CATERS NEWS

Siberian male tiger Tikhon believed to be 15 years old and weighing over 160 kg in his prime.

Now he is kept in captivity and researchers are yet to decided whether to release him back to the wild or not.

https://siberiantimes.com/ecology/others/news/wounded-rare-tiger-seeks-human-help-at-remote-border-post-on-russian-chinese-frontier/

''During this active male’s lifetime roaming around the Russian Far East, something extraordinary happened, as the highly endangered population of Siberian or Amur tigers rose from less than 350 to more than 550. Pictures: Land of the Leopard''

The species is on the way to being saved and we can only guess at Tikhon’s role in this achievement.

''Due to his age, it was increasingly difficult to hunt, said the expert.''

''Despite the abundance of ungulates in these places, the tiger was forced to turn  his attention to dogs.''
''Now we are waiting for the results of tests that will allow us to understand what to do next. ''
''But, apparently, the beast due to age will not be able to return to the wild nature.''

After eating 2 guard dogs Tikhon gets sedated with no refusal.

For a comparison of the weight when he was wild here it says:

''His weight is still lower at 140 kilograms than when he was in his prime weighing over 160 kg - but the key question now is whether he will be able to hunt. ''

https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/tiger-king-tikhon-who-sought-human-help-wants-to-return-to-the-wild-after-having-dental-treatment/

Unfortunately Tikhon lost parts of his canines which will make it even more difficult for him to hunt large preys and also his old age.

October 21st 2016

140 kilos Siberian male Tiger https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0778-one-tiger-caught-in-vladivostok-but-residents-fear-there-could-still-be-more-roaming-city/

One tiger caught in the Vladivostok, but residents fear there could still be more roaming

Driver spots big cat at side of busy road, alerts police, and young male is tranquillised.

Aramilev said the tiger is now 'in an isolated enclosure without contact with humans. ''When he is hungry, we will give him a live boar. To decide if we can release him into the wild, we need to know that he hunts large ungulates and avoids people.''

'' If these conditions are met, in the spring of 2017 he will be released in some sparsely populated place, where it are a lot of ungulates. Adult tigers weigh 170-180 kilograms and more. Our tiger weights only 140 kg, it must gain weight.''

Director of Centre Siberian Tiger in the region, Sergei Aramilev, said: ''Of course in theory there can be a second tiger, for example a brother of the caught one. When they are two or three years old, the tiger separates from its family.''

Yes he was right.

October 28th 2016

173 kilos Siberian male tiger with 5 years of age.

Second Tiger caught on the loose nea Vladivostok after killing a cow

https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0787-second-tiger-caught-on-the-loose-near-vladivostok-after-killing-a-cow/

''The animal caught at Artem is also a male, in this case four or five years old and weighing 173 kilograms. It is likely to be returned to the wild, far from urban areas, in Primorsky region.''

Concerns that the wild predators are coming closer to cities and settlements in Russian Far East.

Experts say that heavy rains and flooding has led to a shortage of food in the forests for the cats. 

Amur or Siberian tiger numbers are recovering after the species became seriously endangered. There still remain hundreds rather than thousands living in the wild.

It was caught after thermal imaging was used to locate it following the cow attack. The animal is now in a rehabilitation centre in the village of Alekseyevka, where the first tiger is also kept.

It is likely to be returned to the wild, far from urban areas, in Primorsky region. Pictures: PRNCO 'Tiger Center' 

7 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-06-2020, 09:52 AM by Dark Jaguar )

170 kilos male bengal tiger
https://www.newindianexpress.com/states/karnataka/2019/oct/14/high-drama-operation-concludes-after-five-days-with-capture-of-tiger-in-karnatakas-bandipur-2047155.html

''After a five-day-long search operation, Karnataka Forest Department officials finally darted and captured Bandipur’s elusive ‘killer’ tiger on Sunday afternoon.
The high-drama operation finally concluded with the semi-conscious animal being sent to Kooragahalli Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre, located 15 km from Mysuru.''

''The animal is said to be a healthy male weighing around 170 kg (normal weight being 140 kg).''

110kg female from Buthan.

https://leythro-darlo.blogspot.com/2018/02/bhutan-radio-collars-her-first-wild.html

Bhutan Radio collars her First Wild Tiger.

''It was a pleasant surprise from a conservation hero and tiger biologist Dr. Tshering Tempa who is leading the tiger radio-collaring programme in Bhutan, when the news of the first tiger being collared made the headline in National Newspaper on the first day of the first months of Lunar Dog Year, Losar. A wonderful reason to celebrate the New Year and perhaps an "Auspicious Omen" for the future of tiger conservation in Bhutan.''

''As per the new article, the tiger collared was a 3-year-old female, weighing 110 kgs and the team of foresters and Bhutanese biologists who made this major breakthrough in tiger conservation named her Tedndrel Zangmo, meaning "the auspicious omen".

2 females from Sundarbarns.

PAGE 17 and 18 of the link for more details. https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/25137191/sundarbans-tiger-project-activities-and-results-2005-2006-panthera

''2 Tigers were successfully captured and fitted with GPS-radio collars. The first tiger snared ( named Jamtola Rani of JR ) was a female, and captured at Jamtola area on the 22nd of April 2005. It was darted at 6:58pm with 600mg of Zoolatil. The tiger weighed approximately 75kg and measured 235 cm from nose to tail along the curves. Her age was estimated to be around 14 years or older.''

''A second female tiger ( Chaprakhali Rani or CR  ) was captured on the night of the 2nd of March 2006. Judging by the teeth wear it was between 10-12 yeras old. She weighed an estimated 110-125 kg and measured 228 cm from nose to tail tip along the curves.''

This table includes some tiger's subespecies.

Siberian Tiger cubs captured near Aleksei-Nikolskoye turn out to be different genders.

credits: THE AMUR TIGER PROGRAM  http://programmes.putin.kremlin.ru/en/tiger/

http://programmes.putin.kremlin.ru/en/tiger/news/25823

Experts from the Centre for the Rehabilitation and Reintroduction of Tigers and Other Rare Animals in the Primorye Territory’s village of Alekseyevka have recently conducted a routine examination of the two tiger cubs removed from the wild in early 2018. That is when they learned that one of the cubs, both of which had been previously identified as females, was, in fact, a male.

“Indeed, it does happen, when the testes of wild cats, like domestic cats, fail to descend into the scrotum early on,” said Sergei Aramilev, director of the Amur Tiger Centre. “That is why this mistake was made during the initial short examination. It is good, however, that the truth came out just now, as this news will fundamentally change the choice of location for the animals’ release into the wild. All in all, the cubs are thriving; after a brief separation due to the examination, they were moved into spacious enclosures to further perfect their hunting skills.”

The examination proved the animals to be perfectly healthy. Now the cubs are about 1-1.3 years old; the girl weighs about 80 kg, while the boy weighs about 90kg. The young predators hunt animals on their own, and properly react to humans by instantly taking cover and getting out of sight upon spotting or hearing people nearby.

The two cubs and their mother were captured near the village of Aleksei-Nikolskoye. In October 2018, experts decided to relocate the tigress from the rehabilitation centre to a zoo. If the rehabilitation process continues to go smoothly for the cubs, they will be released in the wild in spring 2019.

Two Adult Siberian Tigers Tagged in the Taiga Ussuri Nature Reserve.

204kg male Siberian Tiger named Professor and 150kg male Siberian tiger named Lyuk ( presumably Professor's son )

http://programmes.putin.kremlin.ru/en/tiger/news/11208

''The most recent phase of the comprehensive field research under the programme to study the Amur tiger in Russia's Far East (the Amur Tiger Programme) took place from April 23 until June 9, 2010. The research first began in 2008 on the territory of the Ussuri Nature Reserve and was managed by the Far Eastern Department at the Russian Academy of Sciences. ''

''This past spring, scientists with the Institute of Ecology and Evolution at the Russian Academy of Sciences set up two working groups: one to conduct research on the territory of the reserve and the other near the border with China. Due to harsh weather conditions (the snowy winter and the long cold spring), the researchers had less time to capture animals. Nevertheless, they managed to capture and tag two male tigers: one named Professor weighed 204 kilos and the other Lyuk, weighed 150 kilos. The researchers were really lucky to accomplish this because one of the smartest tigers avoided all the traps last year and so earned the name Professor. ''

204 kilos male Siberian Tiger Professor images.

In the spring of 2010, researchers managed to capture and tag the tiger Professor in the Ussuri taiga. The expedition members were really lucky to accomplish this because Professor, one of the smartest tigers, carefully avoided all traps last year and so earned his name.

When the tiger Professor got trapped, the researchers took a shot at him with an air rifle loaded with a tranquilliser. However, the tranquilliser took time to take effect, and in the meantime the tiger tried to attack the researchers’ jeep.

The naturalists had to light a flare to scare Professor away from the jeep. The tiger ran to the taiga where it was found fast asleep 30 minutes later.

After the anaesthetic took effect, the researchers fastened a GPS-ARGOS collar around Professor’s neck, weighed the tiger and took blood, hair, feces and sperm samples for laboratory analysis.

The results of the genetic studies showed that the tiger Professor was the mate of the tigress Serga and the father of three cubs born in 2008.

150 kilos male Siberian Tiger Lyuk images.

In May 2010, researchers captured and tagged the tiger Lyuk in the Ussuri Nature Reserve.

The tiger Lyuk is presumably a son of the tigress Serga and the tiger Professor.

Siberian tiger Cub Pugmark.

http://programmes.putin.kremlin.ru/en/tiger/news/25965

“The monitoring group was very careful to not provoke the mother and to not pose a danger to the cubs. Experts did not visit the tigress’s ‘fresh’ clusters, but visited the four clusters that she went to a month ago. To our excitement, in one of the clusters there were paw prints of at least two tiger cubs. We believe the cubs are four months old. The paw prints vary in size, which could mean that one of them is a male and the other is a female, which is good news. The father is probably Boris the tiger, with whom the tigress met several times,” said Sergei Aramilev, general director of the Amur Tiger Centre.  ''

Near 200kg male Siberian Tiger

https://russia.wcs.org/en-us/About-Us/News-Archive/ID/163/A-LONG-AWAITED-FORTUNE.aspx

''It turned out to be a large male, nearly 200 kilograms in weight, about 4 years old, in good physical condition, with perfect teeth. Our staff quickly took all the measurements, snapped a few pictures from both sides (so we could later compare this tiger to images from camera traps and determine whom we had caught), and most importantly, put a collar around his striped neck – a GPS collar, which would give us information on the tiger’s location every 1.5 hours. Trying to make as little noise as possible, they left the tiger to wake up on his own. ''

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Russian Federation Nyers Offline

(05-06-2020, 09:38 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: 150 kilos male Siberian Tiger Lyuk images.

In May 2010, researchers captured and tagged the tiger Lyuk in the Ussuri Nature Reserve.

The tiger Lyuk is presumably a son of the tigress Serga and the tiger Professor.

More info about Lyuk:

"The second identified tiger, Luk, a male, was first caught when he was three in late May 2010. Based on his genetic profile, the researchers assumed that he is not endemic to the Ussuri Reserve and first came there three months before he was captured. Luk then settled in the reserve and made the former adult resident male leave the area. During his second capture in October 2012, Luk was the Ussuri Reserve’s largest tiger, weighing 212 kg. He actively uses the territories under the Ussuri Reserve forestries and the adjacent Orlinoye hunting reserve."

in 2 years his weight increased by 60 kg

http://programmes.putin.kremlin.ru/en/tiger/news/24787
3 users Like Nyers's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-06-2020, 04:13 PM by Dark Jaguar )

(05-06-2020, 01:42 PM)Nyers Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 09:38 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: 150 kilos male Siberian Tiger Lyuk images.

More info about Lyuk:

"The second identified tiger, Luk, a male, was first caught when he was three in late May 2010. Based on his genetic profile, the researchers assumed that he is not endemic to the Ussuri Reserve and first came there three months before he was captured. Luk then settled in the reserve and made the former adult resident male leave the area. During his second capture in October 2012, Luk was the Ussuri Reserve’s largest tiger, weighing 212 kg. He actively uses the territories under the Ussuri Reserve forestries and the adjacent Orlinoye hunting reserve."

in 2 years his weight increased by 60 kg

http://programmes.putin.kremlin.ru/en/tiger/news/24787

@Nyers Thank you so much for the update on this big boy, that's amazing information Luk got so big, I can only imagine how large his presumably father Professor ( the one from my post which was already 204kg ) has gotten along the years. That's just great news regarding Siberian tigers it means all the conservation projects are starting to pay off little by little over there and hopefully in a near future the wild Siberian Tigers will reach their real size potential as they once were more than 1 century ago.

Keep us updated in case you find any news on these Siberian beasts. Like
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post