There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

That’s a shame
2 users Like Pckts's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-17-2021, 06:32 AM by Dark Jaguar )

@Balam @Pckts @peter @Rage2277 @Lycaon @epaiva @KRA123 @GuateGojira and other members.

This one have freaked me out.

FULL Biometric Measurements of Xangô Cerrado male.

*This image is copyright of its original author

I was in contact with Cristina Gianni the president of NEX No Extinction, the Institution that captured the famous male Dark Jaguar from the brazilian Cerrado named Xangô.

I was looking for his measurements in a very long time and I finally made it.

She kindly provided me the full biometric measure datas of Xangô for my Jaguar measure list.

NOTE: As some of you know he was captured 8 times and his measurements provided was from the capture Xangô weighed 104 kg. And one more thing, the images in this entire post are mixes of images of different captures of Xangô.

Knowing the year of capture is important and as you can see right bellow the year of Xangô's archive Cristina sent to me is 2018, so I'd say it was the 2018 capture and this file provided by NEX contains 33 biometric measurements of Xangô's body, All in portuguese of course.

Measure Method.

Over the Curves, Height measure with the measuring tape going over until the paw.

Xangô Cerrado male jaguar's body measurements

Head Circumf: 69 cm

Head Length: 33 cm

Ear: 8,5 cm

Neck Circumf: 61 cm

Height: 63 cm

Thorax Circumf: 108 cm

Body Length: 149 cm

Tail Length: 62 cm

Total Length: 211 cm

Metatarsal: 24 cm

Right Testicle Length: 5 cm

Right Testicle Width: 4 cm

Left Testicle Length: 5 cm

Left Testicle Width: 4 cm

Weight: 104 kg

Other Important Measurements of Xangô included in his biometric datas Archive.

Xangô's Jaws

Upper Canine Length: 5,2 cm

Upper Canine Width: 1,5 cm

Lower Canine Length: 4 cm

Lower Canine Width: 1,4 cm

Distance between the Upper Canines: 6,5 cm

Distance between the Lower Canines: 4 cm

Xangô's Front/Hind Paws measurement

Front Footprint Length: 13 cm

Front Footprint Width: 10 cm

Front Pad Length: 6 cm

Front Pad Width: 7 cm

Front Toe Length: 4 cm

Front Toe Width: 3 cm

Hind Footprint Length: 12 cm

Hind Footprint Width: 9 cm

Hind Pad Length: 6 cm

Hind Pad Width: 8 cm

Hind Toe Length: 5,5 cm

Hind Toe Width: 3 cm

Xangô's Pugmark measure.

I made a brief comparison of Xangô Cerrado male and a human at same place, same day by a tree but note that if you pay the attention both (man/jaguar) are stepping over slightly different places, in the image Xangô's front paw is sitting on a higher (elevated) area of the ground whereas the man's feet is sitting on the slightly lower area meaning Xangô's shoulder is actually even lower than this comparison and the most intriguing thing is that he was measured over the curves.

Here's a comparison between Xangô and another male Jaguar from Cerrado who also weighed 104 kg.

Look bellow How short and muscular his limbs are, its incredible, I bet his forearm measurements would be really impressive as well, not to mention his massive head which makes him a beast from the brazilian Cerrado.

Xangô's Bulkiness

Don't let his short height distract you from the fact that this dude is an extremely Wide/Broad cat.

NEX mentions in one of their capture articles that Xangô's Trunk/Torso is so thick and broad that his front paws stay away from one another, they stay put on that position (photo bellow). This shows how Broad Xangô really is and his chest girth of 108 cm proves it.

Another thing that always drew my attention about Xangô is that as you can note on this brief video bellow, he is so low to the ground and robust that his hind legs are kinda ''curved''.

Sedating the Dark Cerrado Beast.

Xangô already trapped in the cage being sedated. Very explosive beast.

Min. 1:06 and 1:48 of the video bellow.

Xangô is the second Cerrado male jaguar measurement I got on my Books and as I expected the overlapping in size of Cerrado Jaguars with the jaguars from the Pantanal and Porto Primavera is a fact not only with their weights but also with their measurements.

Here bellow is the last footage of Xangô cerrado male that I know of, right before his collar dropped off last year, the last footage of this iconic Dark Jaguar.

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-15-2021, 05:20 PM by peter )

DARK JAGUAR

Great post with a lot of information about the length and body dimensions of an adult wild male Cerrado jaguar yet again! This is what sincere interest, perseverance and very good contacts can do. Excellent work and many thanks! 

The threads you (and Balam) created resulted in an extensive and very interesting new section. Apart from the info on the habits and size of wild jaguars in that part of Brazil, it offers our readers the opportunity to meet some of the dedicated people working for organisations and institutions most of us were not even aware of. Important, as it shows that conservation is taken very serious in Brazil. 

When you have time, could you tell us a bit more about NEX No Extinction? And tell president Christina Gianni that her willingness to provide information is much appreciated by our readers. 

Jaguar Xango is a robust male. Although shorter in head and body length and not as heavy, he, in other respects (referring to the girth of his head, neck and chest), compares quite nicely to quite a few wild Amur tigresses.
3 users Like peter's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Thanks @peter  Its interesting to see that Xangô Cerrado male compares in head/neck/chest circumference measurements with a few Siberian Tigresses, thanks for letting me know, the circumference is the department jaguars are quite remarkable despite being short cats.

These sorts of infos indeed takes all of the words you said along with dedication and patience, that's our passion for wildlife and we gotta chase these datas. I already said to Cristina how thankfully I am for her amazing contribution and help and these datas will be appreciated by people who likes wildlife from all over the world, these sort of informations provided is such an achievement as very few people would contribute to provide them and this one is a rare one to get, I coudn't believe when she sent his entire biometric body measure datas as I only asked her the few basic measurements to not be too pushy asking her too much. But she sent me the whole thing, it really brought a huge smile upon my face. Not all people would provide such complete data. I told her Xangô will help bring us lots of knowledge on the sizes of the Cerrado jaguar population.

The NEX No Extinction Institute is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) aimed at defending endangered wild cats (and shelters other animals), it maintains a Scientific Breeding for Conservation Purposes. Founded in 2001 NEX is an official entity, legally recognized and approved by Organs responsible bodies, upon proof of competence, capacity to carry out and maintain the proposed project. They receive wild animals in bad conditions from IBAMA, CETAS or CRAS to take care of them if they got condition to return to the wild they will be trained to do so but NEX would keep the ones that aren't able to return to the wild.

Their main focus isn't really to capture wild jaguars but to help them (and other cats) if they unable to continue their wildlives as well as to keep healthy pure genetics in captivity for future conservation purposes (specially from the Cerrado population). Xangô was a different case as he was too close from the sanctuary area and often got lured by the scent of the captive females jaguars from NEX sanctuary and visited that area rather often and stick around in those wild areas where the sanctuary is located, so in that particular case NEX contacted permission of CENAP/ICMBio to capture Xangô for the first time in 2013 to study his movements. Although captured 8 times Xangô was the only wild jaguar NEX captured and monitored so far.

Not sure if you remember but the jaguar named Merlin who unfortunately got blind by gunshot in Maranhão (Northeast Brazil) I posted here about a year ago, he is living and being taken care at NEX. Luísa wild Caatinga female is not able to live in the wild anymore as she suffered again (I am preparing a post specially for her) and she is also living at NEX Institution being very well taken care of.

Ousado male from north Pantanal who was rescued from the fires in the pantanal last year, he got completely recovered at NEX as they took care of his burnt paws and other serious physical issues he dealt with, and Ousado is now roaming free back in the wild Pantanal, another jaguar from Pantanal who was rescued and taken to NEX at around the same time as Ousado but sadly did not have the same luck was Amanaci female (I already posted about the weight of both here, but they were unhealthy in bad shape due to the fires of Pantanal). Amanaci unfortunately wasn't as lucky as Ousado as her claws mechanism wasn't working properly anymore and it wasn't efficient enough to help her taking down her natural preys in the wild so they decided to keep her at NEX in her new home being very well taken care.

Another amazing case was the amazonic wild female jaguars Pandora and Vivara who lost their mother as cubs (likely killed by poachers) and both sisters were sent to Brasília State of Brazil, and they stayed at NEX Sanctuary being well taken care of surrounded by Biologists and Veterinarians, they both grew up there at NEX No Extinction Sanctuary. In 2018 already grown up the sisters were taken back to the Amazon for the rewild process, at moment of release both sisters received collars and were released at Serra do Cachimbo, located on the border between Pará and Mato Grosso.

NEX also provided a female jaguar to Argentina for the reintroduction procedure of the jaguar population in Iberá which the result was a success.

So thats what they do, its an incredible institution on a daily basis fight to preserve and help wildlife as much as possible, they're warriors of conservation and wildlife.

Cristina Gianni and Xangô

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-15-2021, 08:21 PM by Pckts )

I’m almost positive the 23cm shoulder height is an error.
Especially if we’re talking about the tip of the paw to the shoulder.
The front paw measured 13cm in length so there is absolutely no way that the wrist to shoulder is only 10cm. That’s not even 4” and you can easily compare her forearm to the cats and both look similar in length.
3 users Like Pckts's post

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

He is an exceptionally short jaguar…but 23cm is the same height as a domestic cat! That seems absurd.

I’d have guessed he is about double that height, from those photos.
1 user Likes LandSeaLion's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-17-2021, 06:38 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-15-2021, 03:54 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: @Balam @Pckts @peter @Rage2277 @Lycaon @epaiva @KRA123 @GuateGojira and other members.

I was in contact with Cristina Gianni the president of NEX No Extinction, the Institution that captured the famous male Dark Jaguar from the brazilian Cerrado named Xangô.

She kindly provided me the full biometric measure datas of Xangô for my Jaguar measure list.

NOTE: As some of you know he was captured 8 times and his measurements provided was from the capture Xangô weighed 104 kg. And one more thing, the images in this entire post are mixes of images of different captures of Xangô.

Knowing the year of capture is important and as you can see right bellow the year of Xangô's archive Cristina sent to me is 2018, so I'd say it was the 2018 capture and this file provided by NEX contains 33 biometric measurements of Xangô's body, All in portuguese of course.

Measure Method.

Over the Curves, Height measure with the measuring tape going over until the paw.

Xangô's Jaws

Xangô's Pugmark measure.

I made a brief comparison of Xangô Cerrado male and a human at same place, same day by a tree but note that if you pay the attention both (man/jaguar) are stepping over slightly different places, in the image Xangô's front paw is sitting on a higher (elevated) area of the ground whereas the man's feet is sitting on the slightly lower area meaning Xangô's shoulder is actually even lower than this comparison and the most intriguing thing is that he was measured over the curves.

Here's a comparison between Xangô and another male Jaguar from Cerrado who also weighed 104 kg.

Look bellow How short and muscular his limbs are, its incredible, I bet his forearm measurements would be really impressive as well, not to mention his massive head which makes him a beast from the brazilian Cerrado.

Xangô's Bulkiness

Don't let his short height distract you from the fact that this dude is an extremely Wide/Broad cat.

NEX mentions in one of their capture articles that Xangô's Trunk/Torso is so thick and broad that his front paws stay away from one another, they stay put on that position (photo bellow). This shows how Broad Xangô really is and his chest girth of 108 cm proves it.

Another thing that always drew my attention about Xangô is that as you can note on this brief video bellow, he is so low to the ground and robust that his hind legs are kinda ''curved''.

Xangô is the second Cerrado male jaguar measurement I got on my Books and as I expected the overlapping in size of Cerrado Jaguars with the jaguars from the Pantanal and Porto Primavera is a fact not only with their weights but also with their measurements.

Here bellow is the last footage of Xangô cerrado male that I know of, right before his collar dropped off last year, the last footage of this iconic Dark Jaguar.

I was again in contact with the NEX biologist regarding Xangô's shoulder height and the 23 cm height was a typo made by the biologist in the archive.

Xangô's height was 63 cm and the Paw measurement was actually the Footprint measurement.

With that being said I got an additional info on the height measure procedure, as I said previously it was over the curves with the measuring tape going over until (stopping) on the paw (Heel). The additional info was that in the moment of the height measure the paw was not stretched (or extended).

Xangô is still a low to the ground Cerrado beast.

By comparing the Pantanal average height by Almeida of 74.4 cm average for males and the 66.5 cm average for females, Xangô is yet a decently lower jag.

However, as we got another Cerrado male jaguar with 73 cm on the shoulder, The overlapping in height (and all other departments) still occurs compared between Cerrado and the other large sized populations from Pantanal and Porto Primavera.

Xangô/Human

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-17-2021, 06:35 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 03:54 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: @Balam @Pckts @peter @Rage2277 @Lycaon @epaiva @KRA123 @GuateGojira and other members.

Measure Method.

Xangô's Jaws

Xangô's Pugmark measure.

Xangô's Bulkiness

I was again in contact with the NEX biologist regarding Xangô's shoulder height and the 23 cm height was a typo made by the biologist in the archive.

Xangô's height was 63 cm and the Paw measurement was actually the Footprint measurement.

With that being said I got an additional info on the height measure procedure, as I said previously it was over the curves with the measuring tape going over until (stopping) on the paw (Heel). The additional info was that in the moment of the height measure the paw was not stretched (or extended).

By comparing the Pantanal average height by Almeida of 74.4 cm average for males and the 66.5 cm average for females, Xangô is yet a decently lower jag.

However, as we got another Cerrado male jaguar with 73 cm on the shoulder, The overlapping in height (and all other departments) still occurs compared between Cerrado and the other large sized populations from Pantanal and Porto Primavera.

Xangô/Human

He’s actually shorter than that if it’s measured over the curves, same with the taller male. When measuring shoulder height over the curves, they’ll press the tape against the limb and around the bicep to the top of the shoulder while a straight line starts perpendicular to the top of the shoulder and straight down to the heel.

Jaguar Enthusiast

(06-17-2021, 07:42 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Measure Method.

Xangô's Jaws

Xangô's Pugmark measure.

Xangô's Bulkiness

Xangô/Human

He’s actually shorter than that if it’s measured over the curves, same with the taller male. When measuring shoulder height over the curves, they’ll press the tape against the limb and around the bicep to the top of the shoulder while a straight line starts perpendicular to the top of the shoulder and straight down to the heel.

She said the height measurement was done over the curves with the measuring tape stopping on the heel.

When you said ''pressing the tape against the limb'' the first thing that came to my mind was these 2 photos bellow.

124 kg Sombra male

115 kg Thor male

About the taller male if you mean the cerrado male jaguar with the height of 73 cm, unfortunately I don't know the measure method since he was captured by Leandro Silveira and it was published in a study.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-17-2021, 08:29 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 07:42 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Measure Method.

Xangô's Jaws

Xangô's Pugmark measure.

Xangô's Bulkiness

Xangô/Human

She said the height measurement was done over the curves with the measuring tape stopping on the heel.

When you said ''pressing the tape against the limb'' the first thing that came to my mind was these 2 photos bellow.

124 kg Sombra male

115 kg Thor male

About the taller male if you mean the cerrado male jaguar with the height of 73 cm, unfortunately I don't know the measure method since he was captured by Leandro Silveira and it was published in a study.
Yes, that’s exactly what I mean. You’ll gain more cm’s when wrapping it around the curves like that.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-19-2021, 07:26 AM by Balam )

I'm quickly stopping by to share this. I don't know if you already know but Sandro was killed of poisoning, alongside him another male of 140 kg was also found dead, confirmed on Reprocon's IG:

This was Sandro the Jaguar Male with more than 120kg and only 4 years. He was found dead next to another jaguar (male ~140kg), a bush dog, a carcará hawk, 14 vultures and a poisoned bovine carcass. Sandro was monitored through GPS Collar by the @reprocon_org, which allowed the location of all these dead animals.

I'm not going to post the carcass remains because they're very gruesome, but here's another 140 kg male. Since the carcasses were in a state of decomposition who knows if the weight of the animals could've been reduced through loss of tissue.

A report was also made regarding this incident, it's in Portuguese but for those that can understand the jaguar of 140 kg is also mentioned here and they go into more details concerning the event and how they found the carcasses: https://www.oeco.org.br/noticias/duas-on...-pantanal/
3 users Like Balam's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@Balam 

What a travesty , hope those responsible will face severe consequences.
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-20-2021, 06:59 AM by Balam )

@Lycaon

The ranch responsible for this massacre has been identified and the police will take the required actions to bring them to justice. This update was shared by the local org Onças do Rio Negro last night:

Because so many important institutions were involved in this incident there was a lot of pressure by the authorities to find out as soon as possible who the perpetrators were.

On a different point and to clarify the weight of the second male, last night I contacted Pedro Neto from Reprocon to get to the bottom of it and he said this to me:

"(The second male was) Estimated as his size was superior to Sandro. Sandro weighed 125kg without being able to lift completely off the ground"

Much like Joker, Sandro's full weight was likely not recorded as he couldn't be lifted entirely from the ground. He did have a decent amount of stomach content so I understand why the team decided to set his official weight as 130 kg.
4 users Like Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

68 kg adult Pantanal female from Passo do Lontra

reprocon

''Scientific capture for the purposes of the Reprocon biobank at Passo do Lontra.

Female, 68kg, 11 years old (estimated). Not pregnant (ultrasound).''

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

From: MANUAL OF IDENTIFICATION, PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF PREDATION BY CARNIVORES

''The jaguar tracks are large, rounded in shape and the overall length is usually a little less than the width. The toes are round, the pads large and rounded in shape (Figures 9a, 9b, 9c, and 9d).''

Figure 9a - Jaguar tracks on wet mud.

photo: Fernanda Michalski

Figure 9b - Jaguar tracks on sand.

photo: Sandra Cavalcanti

Figure 9c - Paw of a jaguar.

Figure 9d - Paw of jaguar.