There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Dark Jaguar I'll edit it all tonight. So I'm guessing his brother Peter most probably weight at around the same ~110 kg, he looked definitely bigger than that but I'm guessing his probably has a smaller frame that is stocky. Nonetheless great info, he's our jaguar #60.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-24-2020, 07:30 PM by Dark Jaguar )

A few females captured and monitored by onçafari.

Gaia 60,6 kg

*This image is copyright of its original author

Year of birth: May 20, 2013

Captured: 2017 and 2018

Leen 70 kg ( Gaia's daughter )

Year of birth: 2016

Captured: 2017 and 2018

Fera 54,3 kg

Year of birth: Approximately 2014

Captured: 2016, 2017 and 2019

54,3 kg Fera and 120 kg Brutus male. ( also monitored by onçafari )

Isa 60 kg  ( Fera's sister )

Year of birth: Approximately 2014

Captured: in 2016

60 kg Isa and 122 kg Sombra male. ( also monitored by onçafari )

60 kg Isa and 122 kg Sombra male.

5 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-19-2020, 09:49 AM by Balam )

110 kg male from Porto Jofre

2 users Like Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

@Balam

Do you know his ID??

I could get Ousado male from PJ weight with Jorge, but he is not in that good conditions.

Jorge also captured a Central Pantanal jaguar in Parque Nacional do Pantanal - Acurizal, but it's also in bad conditions due to the intense fires throghout Pantanal.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

@Balam

Get his ID, It would be good to have it in order to add more info to the table.

Jorge is most likely busy in the field at moment but when he's free I'll ask him Ousado's size but don't expect him to be massive haha.

Then we'll see whether we'll add him or not.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Dark Jaguar actually from the first time I saw Ousado I could tell he was a smaller male as he seemed to be the same size as Ãgue female, and based on the pictures of his captures he does seem smaller. In fact I doubt he's over 100 kg. What we could do is get his initial weight when he was captured and in bad condition, and then see if we are provided an updated weight in captivity as well.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-25-2020, 12:17 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Ousado male 75 kg and Amanancy female 50 kg.

Both in very bad conditions are being well taken care at NEX Institution.

Ousado male.

Amanancy female.

https://www.dm.jor.br/cidades/2020/09/on...-em-goias/

One of the jaguars that had leg injuries when fleeing from fires in the Pantanal began to be treated with ozone and laser, in Corumbá de Goiás, 150 km from Goiás.

The objective is to accelerate the recovery of the animal so that it returns to the environment.

The first step was to put the jaguar, a 75 kg male baptized as Ousado to sleep. He used a blowgun with tranquilizer so that the veterinarians could safely take the animal to the place where the treatment would take place.''

Ousado male.

This was the first time the veterinarians used the techniques on a jaguar.

The idea is to apply all possible resources to accelerate the healing on the paws of the animal, which had second degree burns.

"We get, through ozone gas, an anti-inflammatory effect, analgesic and we can eliminate these bacteria, making only the cells that are affected, sick, are degraded and help the good cells work better,"  said veterinary doctor Nathália Lira.

Ousado male

Amanancy female

Nex Institute

Despite Ousado male which arrived 10 days ago, the Nex Institute group still takes care of a 50 kg female, called Amanancy.

Amanancy female.

She has been there for about a month, also with injuries caused by burning in the Pantanal.

Amanancy has third degree injuries and is doing a treatment with stem cells. And she has been presenting a good response with the procedure, but the case is still serious.

"Her case is more complicated, because they were third degree burns with bone exposure, tendon, so she should stay another month or two," said veterinarian Thiago Luczinski.

Amanancy female.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(09-24-2020, 08:38 PM)Balam Wrote: 110 kg male from Porto Jofre

The Reprocon team is there at the moment so hopefully they'll capture more jaguars. It'd be a dream if they can capture Edno, Aju, Balam and Pheonix.

Jaguar #61 btw.

Gediendson just confirmed this jaguar to be Aju, so we have his weight!

So Aju happens to be smaller than Ruxu and not in the same size class as we initially thought.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-25-2020, 06:40 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(09-25-2020, 06:25 AM)Balam Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 08:38 PM)Balam Wrote: 110 kg male from Porto Jofre

The Reprocon team is there at the moment so hopefully they'll capture more jaguars. It'd be a dream if they can capture Edno, Aju, Balam and Pheonix.

Jaguar #61 btw.

Gediendson just confirmed this jaguar to be Aju, so we have his weight!

So Aju happens to be smaller than Ruxu and not in the same size class as we initially thought.

I expected Aju to be larger than just 110 kg, and at least by that photo he doesn't look in bad conditions ( in terms of size ) like Ousado and many other jaguars rescued, he was probably rescued before the fires started doing major damages to him.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-25-2020, 06:52 AM by Balam )

@Dark Jaguar actually his paws were just scarring, so when he was captured he had already gone through the healing process. He was in good condition and shape. I find it very interesting that Tiago a Cerrado jaguar turned out to be larger than Aju and Gage from the Pantanal, goes to show you can't generalize all the animals from one specific population.

Jaguar Enthusiast

(09-25-2020, 06:43 AM)Balam Wrote: @Dark Jaguar actually his paws were just scarring, so when he was captured he had already gone through the healing process. He was in good condition and shape. I find it very interesting that Tiago a Cerrado jaguar tiene out to be larger than Aju and Gage from the Pantanal, goes to show you can't generalize all the animals from one specific population.

Its not surprise, thats why I say Cerrado jaguars overlap with Pantanal ones, and it holds true.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-19-2020, 09:50 AM by Balam )

@Dark Jaguar looking back at it, the people from the Jaguar ID never mentioned Aju to be particularly large, nor did Ailton or any other tracker. The only jaguars they have emphasized to me to be larger from the area are Edno, Balam, Tusk, and Forasteiro, so I'm only keeping high expectations for those when it comes to the jaguars we have a clear ID on. I'm also starting to think some areas of southern Pantanal are producing larger jaguars.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-25-2020, 07:14 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(09-25-2020, 06:57 AM)Balam Wrote: @Dark Jaguar looking back at it, the people from the Jaguar ID never mentioned Aju to be larger, nor did Ailton or any other tracker. The only jaguars they have emphasized to me to be larger from the area are Edno, Balam, Tusk and Pheonix, so I'm only keeping high expectations for those when it comes to the jaguars we have a clear ID on. I'm also starting to think some areas of southern Pantanal are producing larger jaguars.

by the way Aju is the one pckts saw and he said he is very big now imagine seeing the likes of Colombiano,Edno,Balam or The misterious massive male I compared with Adriano, the south pantanal like have already been proven a while ago they north/central/south jaguars are all the same just with a bit of different prey resources from one to another and in south section there are many large jaguars no surprise, now who will produce the larger one is something I am not that much interested to know, what interests me the most is getting those sizes overall in all areas no matter what hehe.

and It could happen, I mean Edno and Balam chances of being captured are higher now than any other moment because the rescuers won't let such specimens and the other animals, nature overall go into the ashes by the fire.

If it depends on Gendiendson, Jorge... to save them, they will definitely capture as many animals as they can.
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Dark Jaguar

I still want to see more from this male from Fazenda San Francisco I posted a day ago

He looks colosal to me and even the people who captured the video commented on his size.

Finally I still think this other male from Aguape can surprise us as well, and I'm using the calf's size to compare to him.

Both are from southern Pantanal, so I'm starting to see a trend with large males in this protected ranches turned into conservation areas.

Jaguar Enthusiast

(09-25-2020, 07:17 AM)Balam Wrote: @Dark Jaguar

I still want to see more from this male from Fazenda San Francisco I posted a day ago

He looks colosal to me and even the people who captured the video commented on his size.

Finally I still think this other male from Aguape can surprise us as well, and I'm using the calf's size to compare to him.

Both are from southern Pantanal, so I'm starting to see a trend with large males in this protected ranches turned into conservation areas.

The project who used to study and captured a few jaguars in the Fazenda San Francisco in the 2000's was the ''Projeto Gadonça'', but I am not sure they're active nowadays.

and in this areas we had the brothers Grandão and Oreia.
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post