There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(07-07-2020, 05:46 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 05:11 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: 140kg Southern Pantanal male Onça Pintada.

I was on a special mission and managed to do an in depth research on the 140kg southern pantanal male jaguar who unfortunately got ran over and died on the highway of Mato Grosso do Sul in the region of South Pantanal.

After a while I managed to find a video where the enviormental police took the dead beast to a place where they made a footage of the massive jag.

I managed to find it from a brazilian TV channel who manage to reveal the footage to the public through their news about the accident with the jaguar.

The reporter woman said the big cat got ran over in the highway BR-262 in Miranda in the South Pantanal area and by the impact with the vehicle the 140kg male jaguar suffered head fractures and internal bleeding.

The dead animal could be stuffed to be used for enviormental education.

And yes she said he weighed 140kg.

The person who ran over the big cat was not identified.

Here are the photos of different angles of the beast other than that regular single one we always used to see.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Just imagine the measurements of his Thorax Circumference.  Evil

Video of the News on TV.

More clear Images

Other video of the beast.

credits: TV O Pantaneiro

Doesn't look 140kg to me, I wonder if it's just an estimation.

Back then I thought it was an estimation when he was lying dead on the road and not many details on what they did to the dead body was given and I thought they just dumped the corpse away and thats it, but now I learned they took it elsewhere and will use it for enviormental education purposes so for me its now more believable he was weighed than before specially in that place they took him.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 08:27 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Anderson Silva pantanal male 99kg.

https://recordtv.r7.com/jornal-da-record...l-05102018

His name obviously pays homage to the famous brazilian UFC fighter Anderson Silva because this jaguar is pure muscles.

He was captured in Cárceres area northern pantanal in 2012.

By the yellowish teeth the team believes he is around 7 years old.

His length is almost 2 and half meters long from the tip of the nostril to the tip of the tail.

He is almost blind on one eye and got alot of claw marks due to territorial fights.

The beast weighed 99kg.

Sharp Claws.

@OncaAtrox one more to join the table.

ID                               weight        Source                  area                    age
Anderson Silva         99kg       CENAP/ICMBIO      N.pantanal        7 yo

I already knew about this male jaguar Anderson Silva and I didn't even know they showed him on TV here in 2012. Its been years I wanted to know his size and now there it is.
6 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

2 Varjão do Paranazão/Porto Primavera adult male Jaguars.

PAGE 45 and 46.

http://aesbrasilsustentabilidade.com.br/...nvoros.pdf

STUDY OF CASES.

Onça-Pintada (Panthera Onca) translocation experiments in the Upper Paraná River - 1994/1998.

1st male:  Weighed 122kg, 56cm on tail length and measured 151cm in total.

Translocation 1994:

''A male jaguar was captured in 05/24/94 in the municipality of Caiuá, in the vicinity of Presidente Epitácio, SP, at the request of the CESP offices of that city and Porto Primavera, for predation of domestic animals and an alleged potential risk to human lives. With 122 kg of weight, 151 cm of total length, of which 56 cm corresponded to the tail, it was equipped with a radio-collar and while still sedated it was transported and released the same day in an area at a linear distance of approximately 35 km, in the municipality of Anaurilândia, MS.''

Peter Crawshaw and the 122kg male Jaguar in 1994.

2nd male:  Weighed 112kg.

''A healthy adult male jaguar of 112kg and estimated age of between 4-5 years was captured in the forest of a tributary gallery on the left bank of the Paraná River, in the municipality of Marabá Paulista SP. The capture was carried out by a specialized technical team using dogs specially trained for the capture of large cats. During the sedation the animal was equipped with radio collar and material was collected for sanitary and genetic studies. The release was done on the same day (abrupt release) on the opposite bank of the Paraná River, 152km southwest in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, downstream from the barrage of the Porto Primavera.''

3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-11-2020, 09:30 PM by Dark Jaguar )

100kg Cerrado male from PN GSV.  

http://mosaicosvp.com.br/wp-content/uplo...ico-06.pdf

He's the first Cerrado jaguar from Parque Nacional Grande Sertão Veredas that I see captured.

He was named Leão ( Lion in portuguese ).

''For the capture of the jaguar, in the Grande Sertão Veredas in August 2010, we followed its tracks, installed the camera and identified exactly the animal we wanted to capture. We called this cerrado jaguar Leão (Lion) because it has very large pugmarks, he is very big and weighs about 100 kilograms.  For a cerrado jaguar it is a very large weight if compared to the jaguars in the Pantanal that weigh up to 140 kg.''

@"OncaAtrox"  Finally one Cerrado jaguar to the table after a while.

ID            Weight       Source                 Area                 Age            Capture Year
Leão        100kg        Biotrópicos        PN GSV              Adult              2010

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-13-2020, 08:27 PM by Dark Jaguar )

I just got the size of one of the rival Central Pantanal males monitored by Crashaw and Panthera in Acurizal back in 2011-2012 from the amazing article by Peter G. Crawshaw Jr and Allison Devlin.

One of the males was a dominant male named Big George male who got dethroned by Coração male ( heart in portuguese ) in 2012.

Big Gorge name was an homage to George Schaller.

As I was in contact with Crawshaw to get their weights he told me only one of the males was captured.

He told me Big George weighed 100kg.

About the other male he said Coração wasn't captured, his size was only estimated by Allison of 115kg.

100kg Big George male. credits:Allison Devlin/Panthera.

Coração male ( heart ) estimated to be 115kg. credits:Allison Devlin/Panthera.

@OncaAtrox

You gotta open a new Area in the middle of the table for Central Pantanal Jaguars, between north/south.

ID                 Weight           Source                Area                          Age
Big George   100kg           Panthera         Central Pantanal         Adult

@OncaAtrox

Despite adding Big George to the pantanal table there's another adult male comfirmed of 100kg who as you saw just a few days ago on my post in the Jaguars of Brazil thread this male was one of the jaguars that was predating on many horses In the Private Reserve Patrimônio Natural - Acurizal (RPPN), he weighed 100kg verified and also was monitored with collar by researchers of the species so lets add him to the table as well.

And since we don't know his ID until we figure out who he is lets call him ''Horse Killer'' that way it'll be easier to know.

ID                   Weight           Source                                  Area                           Age
Horse Killer     100kg    Unknown but Comfirmed.      Central Pantanal         Adult      

@"OncaAtrox"

Did you already add Leão ( lion ) Cerrado male from my last post above to the Cerrado jags table??

here's the link of the Cerrado males page table bellow.

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-modern-...rs?page=17

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(07-13-2020, 08:27 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: I just got the size of one of the rival Central Pantanal males monitored by Crashaw and Panthera in Acurizal back in 2011-2012 from the amazing article by Peter G. Crawshaw Jr and Allison Devlin.

One of the males was a dominant male named Big George male who got dethroned by Coração male ( heart in portuguese ) in 2012.

Big Gorge name was an homage to George Schaller.

As I was in contact with Crawshaw to get their weights he told me only one of the males was captured.

He told me Big George weighed 100kg.

About the other male he said Coração wasn't captured, his size was only estimated by Allison of 115kg.

100kg Big George male. credits:Allison Devlin/Panthera.

Coração male ( heart ) estimated to be 115kg. credits:Allison Devlin/Panthera.

@OncaAtrox

You gotta open a new Area in the middle of the table for Central Pantanal Jaguars, between north/south.

ID                 Weight           Source                Area                          Age
Big George   100kg           Panthera         Central Pantanal         Adult

@OncaAtrox

Despite adding Big George to the pantanal table there's another adult male comfirmed of 100kg who as you saw just a few days ago on my post in the Jaguars of Brazil thread this male was one of the jaguars that was predating on many horses In the Private Reserve Patrimônio Natural - Acurizal (RPPN), he weighed 100kg verified and also was monitored with collar by researchers of the species so lets add him to the table as well.

And since we don't know his ID until we figure out who he is lets call him ''Horse Killer'' that way it'll be easier to know.

ID                   Weight           Source                                  Area                           Age
Horse Killer     100kg    Unknown but Comfirmed.      Central Pantanal         Adult      

@"OncaAtrox"

Did you already add Leão ( lion ) Cerrado male from my last post above to the Cerrado jags table??

here's the link of the Cerrado males page table bellow.

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-modern-...rs?page=17

My bad, I got busy and forgot to add the new Cerrado weight, will do it right now.

As a side note, those 100 kg males from Central Pantanal don't look that big at first sight, in fact, if you would've asked I would've said they probably weighed 85 kg. This is good information because it shows that we can't solely rely on pictures to gauge the size of an animal.
2 users Like Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

@"OncaAtrox"

ID                       Weight                       Source                    Area                       Age
     M02                 130 kg                          Panthera              N.Pantanal               Adult      

And don't forget to add the ID of the 148 kg empty Pantanal male captured in 2008, his name was Lopez.

And for those wondering what is going on you better check ''Jaguars of Brazil''' thread for more details.

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-30-2020, 04:50 AM by peter )

ONCA AND DARK JAGUAR

Excellent thread with good information on the weight of wild jaguars. Same for the Jaguar Dynamics thread: very interesting.  

Information on pumas in South America in general is also appreciated. More than you may think. I recently had some visitors over. All of them were involved in big cats in some way and all knew their business. Although impressed by the info on- and the size of some Pantanal and Cerrado jaguars (males and females), they were amazed to see the pictures of some male pumas in southern Chili and Patagonia recently posted in the puma thread. The reason is even large male pumas seldom exceed 150 lbs. (67,95 kg.) in European zoos. The Patagonians in particular seem to be in a different league. 

Anyhow. Here's another compliment for a job well done. If you continue like this, chances are both threads mentioned above will soon top the list of those interested.
4 users Like peter's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-30-2020, 05:37 AM by Dark Jaguar )

@peter

Thanks alot I am very glad more people are getting to know the modern jaguars sizes more and more specially the Cerrado jaguars which are still unheard of for many people but hopefully that will change in the future and your feedback is already a very positive sign of it.

That shows our efforts are worth it.

And indeed Those Patagonian Pumas are massive specially Chuck Norris male ( not sure if he's from Patagonia but still a big one regardless ) which may be close to 100 kg and just by the name he was given ( Chuck Norris ) .... reaching and even surpassing 100 kg wouldn't be a big of a deal right Laughing

And regarding the posting continuation I still got 3 more posts left for this week and tomorrow I am gonna be posting 3 jaguar thorax measurements as well, stay tuned.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-31-2020, 04:05 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(07-10-2020, 06:12 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: 2 Varjão do Paranazão/Porto Primavera adult male Jaguars.

PAGE 45 and 46.

STUDY OF CASES.

Onça-Pintada (Panthera Onca) translocation experiments in the Upper Paraná River - 1994/1998.

Translocation 1994:

''A male jaguar was captured in 05/24/94 in the municipality of Caiuá, in the vicinity of Presidente Epitácio, SP, at the request of the CESP offices of that city and Porto Primavera, for predation of domestic animals and an alleged potential risk to human lives. With 122 kg of weight, 151 cm of total length, of which 56 cm corresponded to the tail, it was equipped with a radio-collar and while still sedated it was transported and released the same day in an area at a linear distance of approximately 35 km, in the municipality of Anaurilândia, MS.''

''A healthy adult male jaguar of 112kg and estimated age of between 4-5 years was captured in the forest of a tributary gallery on the left bank of the Paraná River, in the municipality of Marabá Paulista SP. The capture was carried out by a specialized technical team using dogs specially trained for the capture of large cats. During the sedation the animal was equipped with radio collar and material was collected for sanitary and genetic studies. The release was done on the same day (abrupt release) on the opposite bank of the Paraná River, 152km southwest in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, downstream from the barrage of the Porto Primavera.''

THORAX CIRCUMFERENCES OF 3 VARJÃO DO PARANAZÃO JAGUARS - CURRENTLY PORTO PRIMAVERA  - BRAZIL.

I told and showed Crawshaw Jokers chest measurements and he provided me the Thorax Circumferences of 3 Porto Primavera Jaguars.

First one was Pita male, the largest one ever captured by Crawshaw, he weighed 130 kg and measured 114 cm of thorax circumference.

Second one was Suely female. She weighed 77 kg and measured 96 cm of thorax circumference.

Third and lastly a male Dark Jaguar named Zezão. He weighed 110 kg and measured 99 cm of thorax circumference.

As you all can see Pita male on thorax circumference was 12 cm thinner than Joker, 6 cm thicker than Shaka and 15 cm thicker than Zezão melanistic male.

Speaking of Shaka I showed him a couple of photos and the measurements of Shaka male, I told him Shaka full bellied weighed 131.4 kg and empty 118 kg and I compared him with Pita male of 130 kg.

He said Shaka appears to be a battered and old male, already passed his prime and on younger days Shaka must have been even larger with greater measurements dimensions than when he was captured.

Crawshaw also mentioned the females captured in Porto Primavera were very uniform in terms of size, there were many of 75 kg and others just a little bit heavier as we can see with Suely.

I wonder how thick was the thorax circumference of that massive 125 kg male Dark Jaguar ( the same one who crushed a dog just by the fall off a tree  ) unfortunately poached by Platero in the 90's at Fazenda Santa Clara - Porto Primavera - Brazil.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-31-2020, 04:03 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 06:12 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: 2 Varjão do Paranazão/Porto Primavera adult male Jaguars.

PAGE 45 and 46.

STUDY OF CASES.

Translocation 1994:

THORAX CIRCUMFERENCES OF 3 VARJÃO DO PARANAZÃO JAGUARS - CURRENTLY PORTO PRIMAVERA  - BRAZIL.

I told and showed Crawshaw Jokers chest measurements and he provided me the Thorax Circumferences of 3 Porto Primavera Jaguars.

First one was Pita male, the largest one ever captured by Crawshaw, he weighed 130 kg and measured 114 cm of thorax circumference.

Second one was Suely female. She weighed 77 kg and measured 96 cm of thorax circumference.

Third and lastly a male Dark Jaguar named Zezão. He weighed 110 kg and measured 99 cm of thorax circumference.

As you all can see Pita male on thorax circumference was 12 cm thinner than Joker, 6 cm thicker than Shaka and 15 cm thicker than Zezão melanistic male.

Speaking of Shaka I showed him a couple of photos and the measurements of Shaka male, I told him Shaka full bellied weighed 131.4 kg and empty 118 kg and I compared him with Pita male of 130 kg.

He said Shaka appears to be a battered and old male, already passed his prime and on younger days Shaka must have been even larger with greater measurements dimensions than when he was captured.

Crawshaw also mentioned the females captured in Porto Primavera were very uniform in terms of size, there were many of 75 kg and others just a little bit heavier as we can see with Suely.

I wonder how thick was the thorax circumference of that massive 125 kg male Dark Jaguar ( the same one who crushed a dog just by the fall off a tree  ) unfortunately poached by Platero in the 90's at Fazenda Santa Clara - Porto Primavera - Brazil.
Can you ask about shoulder height and body length.
For shoulder height, can you ask if the measure to the tip of the paw or heel and for body length if they measure straight line or over the curves?
Thx
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

@Pckts

I'll ask when he is free and when I get the answer I'll drop here and tag you.

I will also talk about the 140 kg dead male when he get back from travelling.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-19-2020, 09:41 AM by Balam )

I still believe that the weight difference for Shaka is most likely due to old age rather than stomach content. What are the odds of him being completely full in one capture, then empty the next one? If he was captured between two different years the second time he could've lost mass due to older age, or a combination of factors of which stomach content may be a determinant, but not the entire reason.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-31-2020, 06:35 AM by Dark Jaguar )

@"OncaAtrox"

Its impressive him being so full and that belly alone putting a bunch of weight, if a full male jaguar carries 13+ kg of meat in their bellies just imagine how much meat a full adult male Lion would carry, no wonder they look like balloons when lied down and full bellied haha.

Only Onçafari who captured Shaka may be able to answer that or probably the 118 kg empty was an estimation since on their official page it says he was monitored in 2017 and captured in 2018 and weighed 131.6 kg.

@Pckts

Did the onçafari biologist tell you Shaka was captured and weighed twice? and one of which was 118kg ??

I wonder how thick Sombra and Brutus males thorax circumferences were, they both appear to be similar in body girth with only 2 kg of difference, but only the real circumferences dimensions measurements revealed will tell.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-31-2020, 06:16 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: @"OncaAtrox"

Its impressive him being so full and that belly alone putting a bunch of weight, if a full male jaguar carries 13+ kg of meat in their bellies just imagine how much meat a full adult male Lion would carry, no wonder they look like balloons when lied down and full bellied haha.

Only Onçafari who captured Shaka may be able to answer that or probably the 118 kg empty was an estimation since on their official page it says he was monitored in 2017 and captured in 2018 and weighed 131.6 kg.

@Pckts

Did the onçafari biologist tell you Shaka was captured and weighed twice? and one of which was 118kg ??

I wonder how thick Sombra and Brutus males thorax circumferences were, they both appear to be similar in body girth with only 2 kg of difference, but only the real circumferences dimensions measurements revealed will tell.
Yes, Edu said he captured Shaka twice.