There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-08-2020, 06:24 AM by Pckts )

(04-08-2020, 06:16 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 06:05 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 05:49 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Thanks for the clarification regarding the geography of Mesoamerica, I'm actually originally from South America myself so we tend to confuse all the regional names at times. I was treating the jaguars from Central America, and southern North America as one group under the 'Mesoamerican' category.

Don't worry my friend, that is why we are here, to learn more every day.

Based in these figures, I think that we can separate three main groups, that are not subspecies of course:

1 - Northern group: USA and northern Mexico.
2 - Central group: Southern Mexico and Central America (Guatemala to Panama).
3 - Southern group: All South America, with many single populations.

This is just an easy separation for comparison porpuses, but South America had several diferent populations, like that of the Llanos in Venezuela, those from Peru and Bolivia, the giants of el Pantanal in Brazil, the one of the Amazonas and the almoust unknown at the north of Argentina, among many others.

It is incredible that jaguars do not have subspecies and only several populations with clinal diferences.
I'm particularly interested in seeing a study on the weighs and measurements of Llanos Colombian jaguars and Atlantic forest jaguars, particularly of the Argentinian side. We have no data on Colombian jaguars from Llanos besides recent trackings by camera trapping footage, while the Atlantic forests jaguars have limited data on sizes though better than the Colombian ones. I feel like we would be quite surprised if we were to see how big the Colombianos Llanos jaguars can get as the males there look just impressive as Pantanal ones. 

One of the few records I know of Colombian jaguars is this old newspaper article which I posted on a different forum regarding a cattle eating jaguar that weighted 12 arrobas or 136+kg and measured almost 3 meters

*This image is copyright of its original author

Source; https://twitter.com/colombia_hist/status/1208363235306622976

I'm not sure about which kind of measurement styles they used for the jaguar since we are not dealing with scientists here, but nonetheless that is a huge cat.
I'm in the process of discussing this with Edu.
The people at Aurora were with him to view Pantanal jaguars and they actually named a Jaguar after them, Aurora female.
He said that he recalls them saying they were a bit smaller than the Pantanal ones but he said he'd speak with them about it again and get back to me.
I'll relay what he says once he does.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(04-08-2020, 06:16 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: One of the few records I know of Colombian jaguars is this old newspaper article which I posted on a different forum regarding a cattle eating jaguar that weighted 12 arrobas or 136+kg and measured almost 3 meters

I'm not sure about which kind of measurement styles they used for the jaguar since we are not dealing with scientists here, but nonetheless that is a huge cat.

Interesting that the picture shows a huge cat, but I suspect that is a camera efect or that the people in the background are actually childrens.

The article, in Spanish which is good, mention the weight but not the length, maybe in page 79 (like the article says) is more information.

Thank you for share this.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-08-2020, 06:23 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 05:49 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Thanks for the clarification regarding the geography of Mesoamerica, I'm actually originally from South America myself so we tend to confuse all the regional names at times. I was treating the jaguars from Central America, and southern North America as one group under the 'Mesoamerican' category.

Based in these figures, I think that we can separate three main groups, that are not subspecies of course:

This is just an easy separation for comparison porpuses, but South America had several diferent populations, like that of the Llanos in Venezuela, those from Peru and Bolivia, the giants of el Pantanal in Brazil, the one of the Amazonas and the almoust unknown at the north of Argentina, among many others.

It is incredible that jaguars do not have subspecies and only several populations with clinal diferences.
I'm particularly interested in seeing a study on the weighs and measurements of Llanos Colombian jaguars and Atlantic forest jaguars, particularly of the Argentinian side. We have no data on Colombian jaguars from Llanos besides recent trackings by camera trapping footage, while the Atlantic forests jaguars have limited data on sizes though better than the Colombian ones. I feel like we would be quite surprised if we were to see how big the Colombianos Llanos jaguars can get as the males there look just impressive as Pantanal ones. 

One of the few records I know of Colombian jaguars is this old newspaper article which I posted on a different forum regarding a cattle eating jaguar that weighted 12 arrobas or 136+kg and measured almost 3 meters

The people at Aurora were with him to view Pantanal jaguars and they actually named a Jaguar after them, Aurora female.
He said that he recalls them saying they were a bit smaller than the Pantanal ones but he said he'd speak with them about it again and get back to me.

Here is what Edu said about Jaguars from La Aurora

"I asked to our vet about the jaguar at La Aurora and he told me they are smaller than in the Pantanal although the landscape is very similar"

"I'm still waiting for the exactly weights of the jaguars there"

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-08-2020, 09:25 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 06:23 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Here is what Edu said about Jaguars from La Aurora

"I asked to our vet about the jaguar at La Aurora and he told me they are smaller than in the Pantanal although the landscape is very similar"

"An adult male jaguar weighed 93 kg there"

Bigcat Enthusiast

2 users Like Pckts's post

jovem2526 Offline

Are the weight of these 120 130 kilos ounces on an empty stomach?
are the jaguars of the Atlantic forests shown here on an empty stomach?

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 02:53 AM by Dark Jaguar )

As I promised Its finally here the study on the average size on cerrado male jags compared to cerrado male puma.

Credits: Pró Carnivoros

https://www.yumpu.com/pt/document/read/13054693/ecologia-comparada-e-conservacao-da-onca-pintada-pro-carnivoros

COVER  
COMPARED ECOLOGY CONSERVATION OF THE ONÇA-PINTADA ( Panthera Onca ) AND PUMA ( Puma-Concolor ) IN THE CERRADO AND PANTANAL.

LEANDRO SILVEIRA

Guidance. Prof. Dr. Jader Marinho Filho

THESIS PRESENTED TO THE POST-GRADUATE PROGRAM IN ANIMAL BIOLOGY AT UNIVERSITY OF BRASÍLIA ( BRAZIL ) AS PART OF THE REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING PhD IN ANIMAL BIOLOGY.

BRASÍLIA D.F
                       JANUARY 2004

UNVEILING The Cerrado male Jaguar's average weight/size.

Average Cerrado male jaguar in comparison to average Cerrado male Puma.

Before talking about the average size of a Cerrado male Jag and Puma, let's first see the size of its preys in comparison to the cerrado male Puma's preys as well.

obtained by summing the products of individual items of prey with their weight, transforming in logarithmic scale ( Log-N ), divided by the total number of prey used in the analysis ( Iruate et al., 1990 ). for the peccaries species ( Tayassu pecari ) were considered different weight measures when treated for the cerrado jaguar and puma, assuming that the former species most commonly predate adult individuals ( 40kg ) and the latter, young individuals ( 5-25kg ).

Collection of analyses of carcasses of prey slaughtered by Jags-Pumas.

carcasses of prey slaughtered by the cerrado jaguar and puma were located in the field during the monitoring of radio collared animals. usually clusters of vultures served as an indication of recently slaughtered animals. For the identification of the predator, tracks were sought in the environment, since the format and measures are different for each species ( Aranda 1994 ). when not found, the carcass was analyzed for evidence characteristic of each predator. for example: jaguars can kill animals the size of an adult tapir ( 300kg ) in addition to anteaters and peccaries. The site of the fatal bite is usually concentrated in the upper region of the neck, the average distance between the canine marks on the bones is 37 mm and they usually starts the consumption of the carcass by the pectoral region, jags do not cover the carcass however they can drag it up to 1000 meters ( Crashaw & Quigley, 2002, personal observation ). On the other hand evidences of predation by pumas are characterized by the slaughter of medium sized animals such as peccary ( Pecari tajacu ), armadillos and terrestrial birds such as rheas and tinamids, the fatal bite is generally concentrated in the lower part of the neck. Pumas start the consumption of the carcass by the abdominal region, the average distance between the canine marks in the bones is 26 mm, they have the behavior of covering the carcass with foliage and sticks

For analysis of regurgitated cerrado jaguars collected, the samples were taken inside a sieve under running water. subsequently their content (usually hair and bones) was identified through a reference collection. this sample category (regurgitated) was analyzed together with the carcass category, since it necessarily corresponds to a single meal.

RESULTS

Characterization of the Species  Cerrado Jaguar and Puma
Of the four cerrado jaguar individuals captured in Emas National Park (PNE), two were male allowing comparison of animal weights from other locations (table 1). In relation to jaguars both considering the average weight of males and females together, and considering the average weight of males, the animals from the PNE stand out as the largest.

Male Pumas represent approximately 60% of the weight of male jaguars and differ significantly for three measurements: weight, head-body length and thorax circumference.

Seven pumas ( four males and three females ) were captured in the region of the emus park and their average weights are in table 2. Adult puma females in the ENP have a weight corresponding to approximately 57.5% of the weight of adult males of the same species.

TABLE 1 - heres the table comparison of both cats with the cerrado male jaguar on his AVERAGE SIZE/WEIGHT, The puma isnt on his average here. ( Page 44 of the link )

C.Jaguar = Cerrado jaguar
C.Puma = Cerrado Puma
SD = Standard Deviation
N= Number of sampled individuals
LBD= Lengh Head Body
TL=   Tail lengh
He= Height
TG= Thorax Girth

C.Puma           SD              N             C.Jaguar              SD           N              
Weight(kg)       43,93              13,23            7               87,50                3,53        2          
LHB (cm)          114,28             7,82             7              138,50              6,36         2          
TL (cm)              67,85               8,21           7               69,00               7,07         2          
He (cm)             62,67               5,12           6              73,00                 5,65         2           
TG (cm)             60,21              9,18           7               82,00                4,24         2          

TABLE 2 - Differences between the average weights and their respective Standard Deviations ( SD ) between cerrado male jaguars and cerrado male pumas in the Parque Nacional das Emas - Cerrado. Male Puma is on his average weight now. ( Page 44 of the link )

C.Puma             N            SD               C.Jaguar             N               SD             t                 gl              P   
53,500 (kg)       4          4,435          87,500 (kg)         2             3,536       10,175          2,6        <0,003

TABLE 3 - In this table there's the measuments of the trails (cm) of both cats in the Parque Nacional das Emas - Cerrado. ( Page 45 of the link )

L= Lengh
W= Width
FP= Front Paw
HP= Hind Paw
N=  Number of sampled individuals
Pad
Toe
Pace

C.Puma            SD               N              C.Jaguar              SD             N              
HP.L                 7,536             1,08            25                9,739            0,923           23         
HP.W                6,628             0,879         25                8,647             0,696           23             
HP.Pad.L         3,473              0,528          25                4,973            0,515            23              
HP.Pad.W          4,222          0,554            25                6,22               0,466           22             
HP.Toe.L           2,565           0,38              24               3,153             0,259            19             
HP.Toe.W         1,617          0,309             24               3,229             5,156           19             
FP.L                   7,182        0,575             21              9,937              0,953            20             
FP.W                 7,148         0,932           21              10,333             0,898           20             
FP.Pad.L           3,495         0,424             21               5,57                0,58              20           
FP.Pad.W         4,488         0,597             21               7,124              0,719            20            
FP.Toe.L           2,435         0,27               20              2,978               0,252           16             
FP.Toe.W         1,58            0,235            20              2,253                0,253           16            
Pace                43,875       3,119               4              53,667             9,997             9      

Peter Crawshaw, Leandro and his biologist wife Anah collaring a Puma in 1994.

Leandro and anah measuring an average sized 87.5kg cerrado male in 2002

LARGE MODERN CERRADO MALES

The larger male jags from cerrado reach 105kg-110kg. The largest cerrado male that I heard of is one 115kg cerrado male.

These are some of the samples when they usually surpass their average size of 87.5kg.

104kg cerrado male

Another large cerrado jag.

110kg Richard cerrado male

110kg Xavante cerrado male ( he used to be wild )

Xangô Cerrado male ( he was captured 5 times by NEXT Institution from cerrado and the last time he was captured he  weighed 110kg )

a mix of a few pics of the times he was captured.

Rogério cerrado male

Another large cerrado male monitored by IOP ( He is not Xangô )

So yeah cerrado males average 87.5kg that makes them the second biggest jags INSIDE BRAZIL.

I am posting the tables right now.
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-12-2020, 01:15 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Table including Cerrado, Amazonic and Pantanal jags. Altogether captured from 2000 to 2009.

credits: jaguar.org.br

http://jaguar.org.br/wp-content/uploads/publicacoes/Furtado_2010.pdf     ( Page 110,111 )

Intro:

MARIANA MALZONI FURTADO

AN EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDY OF CIRCULATING PATHOGENS IN JAGUAR AND DOMESTIC ANIMAL POPULATIONS IN PRESERVED AREAS OF THE BRAZILIAN BIOMES: CERRADO, PANTANAL AND AMAZON.

São Paulo 2010

TABLE 1 - Cerrado jag

The characteristics (sex, age and weight) of each jaguar, date of capture events, actual anesthetic dose administered together with the monitoring period of the individuals are shown in tables 2 to 4. The animals were identified by the frequency of the radio transmitter they received. Table 2 - Characterization ( sex, age and weight ), date of capture, anesthetic dose administered and monitoring period for jaguars captured between February 2000 and May 2009 in the Parque Nacional das Emas (PNE) - Cerrado.

Different dates for the same individual refer to the capture and subsequent recapture.

PNE = Parque Nacional das Emas - Cerrado
ID = Identification
AD =  Anesthetic Dose
MT = Monitoring Time (months)
Ages - Ad = Adult  - Cu = Cub   -  Yo = Young
Year - 00 = 2000

Cerrado jag. Table

ID              Studing area     Gender      Capture Date       Age        Weight (kg)        AD           MT(months)
150.260        PNE                   M              Feb-28-00         Ad             90                11,1             58      
150.260        PNE                    M             Ago-15-04         Ad             80               12,5              58   
150.220         PNE                   F              Feb-29-00         Cu            23                13,0               6
150.220         PNE                   F              Jun-13-00         Yo            31                10,6               6
150.243         PNE                 M               Mar-01-00          Cu           27                11,1               6
150.243         PNE                 M               Jun-12-00          Yo           43                11,6               6
150.410        PNE                 M               Nov-11-00           Ad           85                 9,4               91
151.633        PNE                 M               Feb-24-09           Ad            104              5,8               14
151.633        PNE                 M               May-01-09          Ad           104              8,6                14  

TABLE 2 - Amazonic jag

Characterization (sex, age and weight), date of capture, anesthetic dose administered and monitoring period of jaguars captured between August 2006 and April 2007 at Parque Estadual do Cantão (PEC) - Amazon.

ID = Identification
AD =  Anesthetic Dose

Amazon Jag.Table

ID               Studing area       Gender        Capture Date           Age         Weight (kg            AD       
151.722         PEC                   M                 Ago-07-06            Ad              68                     8,8
151.834         PEC                   F                  Ago-08-06           Ad               35                    11,4
151.463         PEC                   F                   Ago-10-0            Ad              47                      12,7
JovemPEC     PEC                   F                  Apr-23-07             Yo             50                      6,7

TABLE 3 - Pantanal Jag

Characterization (sex, age and weight), date of capture, anesthetic dose administered and monitoring period for jaguars captured between October 2003 and November 2008 in the Pantanal (PAN). Different dates for the same individual refer to the capture and subsequent recapture.

AD =  Anesthetic Dose
MT = Monitoring Time (months)
Ages -   Cu = Cub          S-A =  Sub-Adult            

Pantanal Jag. Table

ID               Studing area     Gender         Capture Date         Age       Weight (kg)         AD        MT(months)
150.880         PAN                  M                 Oc-21-03            Ad            85                   ...               2
150.842          PAN                 F                  Oct-23-03           Ad            75                  ...              38  
150.842          PAN                F                  Jan-05-07            Ad            77                 10,4            38
150.793          PAN                M                Oct-26-03            Ad            110                 ...               39
150.811          PAN                F                  Oct-26-03           Ad             70                 ...                24
151.353          PAN                M                Dec-05-04           Ad             94                  8,5             36    
151.353          PAN                M                Mar-30-06            Ad             96                11,4             36
151.343          PAN                F                Jun-17-05             Yo             40                  9,2              4        
151.343          PAN                 F                Oct-8-05              S-A            54                 10,5             4
151.93            PAN                 F                 Jun-18-05          Ad             76                  14,8            39
151.93            PAN                 F                 Jan-20-08           Ad             71                  9,6            39
151.362          PAN                 F                 Dec-03-05           Ad             86                 9,7             35
151.362          PAN                 F                 Apr-01-08           Ad              90                7,8              35
151.263          PAN                 M               Jan-26-06            Ad             104               8,6               5
151.374          PAN                 M               Feb-23-06           Ad             112                7,1             17
150.872         PAN                   F                Feb-26-06           Yo              60                11,6           31     
150.872         PAN                   F                 Jun-08-06          S-A            63                 9,5            31
150.872         PAN                   F                Sep-20-06          S-A             71                9,8              31                       
 150.872        PAN                  F                Nov-14-07          Ad              75                8,0               31
151.452         PAN                  F                Apr-24-06           Yo               46                10,9            7
151.452         PAN                  F               Jul-28-06              Yo               56                7,1             7
151.341         PAN                  F               Apr-24-06            Yo               50                12,0             6   
151.341        PAN                    F              Sep-22-06            S-A              74                 8,1             6
151.443        PAN                    F                Jun-03-06            Ad              70             11,4             19
151.443        PAN                    F               Jan-06-07             Ad              86              7,0             19
151.422        PAN                   F               Jun-05-06             S-A             62                9,7              1
Jovem          PAN                   M              Jan-25-07              Yo               60               10,7            ...
151.351        PAN                  F               Jan-26-07               Ad              80                8,7             ...
151.762        PAN                  M             Nov-03-07             Ad               102               7,8              ...
Filhote1        PAN                    F              Nov-12-07             Cu               ...                   ...               ...
151.824       PAN                   F               Nov-12-07             Ad               ...                  ...              ...  
Filhote        PAN                     F               Jan-23-08             Cu               36                6,1              ...      
151.533       PAN                   F              Nov-18-08             Ad               77               10,4             14                               

Thoughts on the tables:

Amazonic jag - Nothing surprising on the world's highest population of jaguars. 

Cerrado jag - I wish there was adult female cerrado jags sizes here since we already know the male's size potential  Happy  

Pantanal jag  -  Female pantanal jag's average of 76 kilos is more clear than crystal water.

-  About the pantanal male jags. today they're doing far better.

I AM SORRY ABOUT ALL THESE ADVERTISEMENTS. Sad
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-12-2020, 12:39 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(04-11-2020, 02:57 AM)jovem2526 Wrote: Are the weight of these 120 130 kilos ounces on an empty stomach?

Unfortunately most of them don't share that detail.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-12-2020, 04:27 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Attention: For those who couldn't see the tables well of the weights, measurements and other details on the 2 posts above, I would like to recommend you guys to see the tables on the computer, through the computer it displays the tables much better than cellphones/mobiles or you can see through the links and pages I posted.

With that being said. Let's go.

Credits: https:// empty.com.br/

Gisele female from southern Pantanal captured by Onçafari. 90 kilos.
https://empty.com.br/blog/conservacao-da-onca-pintada/

This time a 90 kg female was captured with the loop technique, which consists of camouflaging a system on the ground that causes the jaguar to step on and be caught by the paw. Gisele as she was called received a GPS necklace via satellite, which sends the signals through the internet and allows the teacher to monitor the animal's steps from her computer in Tubarão. The GPS necklace remains on the jaguar for a year and a half, time when the project's technicians map the jaguar in order to know which places it uses the most.

Blood and tick samples were collected from the animal. The blood was sent to the different laboratories associated with the project: the samples are stored in the genomic bank of the National Center for Research and Conservation of Carnivorous Mammals (Cenap-ICMBio) in Atibaia, at the University of São Paulo (USP) and at Unisul de Tubarão. The results are used both for basic research of jaguars and to accompany the process of accustoming animals to tourism.

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-14-2020, 12:41 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: I have received confirmation by Panthera Colombia which is the organization that tracks jaguars and cougars in the country through camera trapping, including places like Aurora, that they haven't performed any captures and there are currently no projects involving the capturing and subsequent measurements of jaguars. This confirms that we have no data on Llanos jaguars regarding their weight, height, and length and will continue to rely on pictures to get an idea of how big they get.

'The tracking we do is through camera trapping and for that reason we don't have any data regarding measurements or weight. Currently, we don't have any projects where individuals have been captured'

Yes, Edu luckily spoke with their Vet who wrote this

"An adult male jaguar weighed 93 kg there"
When I asked about his measurements
"No, he just told me that the jaguar was full grown male. The vet doesn't get the measurements information"

Feel free to ask Edu about it as well, he's open to conversation. 

https://www.instagram.com/edu.fragoso_/

Bigcat Enthusiast

blackjaguarwhitetiger

The soon to be King of Jaguars, Mercury. His dad, Sol, is the biggest Jaguar that we have. He weighs around 90 kilos (198 pounds) and Mercury is almost as big as his dad, but not even 2 years old. For sure that he’ll be bigger. Look at how massive my grandson is. And beyond gorgeous of course. Look at the size of his head and forehead...
4 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-14-2020, 05:03 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: 90 kg for a Mexican jaguar that isn't fully grown yet? Impressive, I didn't expect it from that particular jaguar, he also was not dwarfed in size by the lion next door, they looked rather similar in size from that perspective.

Check out another of his Jaguars father

4 users Like Pckts's post

jovem2526 Offline

(04-12-2020, 12:39 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 02:57 AM)jovem2526 Wrote: Are the weight of these 120 130 kilos ounces on an empty stomach?

But this is a serious problem. An ounce swallows 15 20 kilos of meat will present a large weight even if it is smaller. Example an ounce of 70 pounds eating 20 pounds of meat will result in weighing in at 90 pounds. If you weigh 90 it will result in weighing 110 kilos.

The contents of the stomach should be assessed by the extent of the abdomen as is done with leopards.

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2020, 05:35 AM by Pckts )

(04-16-2020, 04:19 AM)jovem2526 Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 12:39 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:

But this is a serious problem. An ounce swallows 15 20 kilos of meat will present a large weight even if it is smaller. Example an ounce of 70 pounds eating 20 pounds of meat will result in weighing in at 90 pounds. If you weigh 90 it will result in weighing 110 kilos.

The contents of the stomach should be assessed by the extent of the abdomen as is done with leopards.

Its done with Jaguars, Almeida noted stomach content and Hoogesteijin has done so as well. Oncafari has done so on a few of their cats but Jaguars are hard to tell if they're full or not since they look bulky regardless. It's also a moot point since all cats generally have some content.