There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share your visits!

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I thought this would be a great place to share pictures/videos of animals you have seen in zoos as well as any information you got from the zookeepers or owners! Also if you have pictures of cool or unique items you bought there.

I'll post some later.

4 users Like TheLioness's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-05-2014, 10:05 PM by Pantherinae )

Kristiansand Animal Park

*This image is copyright of its original author
Ulysses and Rex

8 users Like Pantherinae's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-07-2016, 12:54 AM by Pckts )

I was just in Las Vegas for business this past weekend but I was able to make time to go to the Mirage Secret Gardens Exhibit (Siegfried and Roy's Lions and Tigers)

Notes from the Exhibit
-It's the closest I have ever gotten to big cats and what can I say.... THEY ARE BIG!!!!!!!!

-The Male white tiger is 470lbs and 7 years old, his brother wasn't on exhibit but the zoologist said he is 500lbs, the two adult male white lions (from Timbavati) weren't on exhibit but their sons (2 years old) were so I got to see them. The african leopard was HUGE... he was estimated by me to be at least 150lbs, probably more. The Tigress' are just massive.... They are at least 350lbs and they are both belonging to the brother tiger (not shown) and they are the mother of the cub shown, there is another white tiger cub as well, didn't get a good picture of her, Both are females.

-The enclosure has 3.2 acres in the back they said, which the cats are rotated in and out of.

-The Two adult male White Lions are 12 years old, they are weighed at 520lbs and 550lbs... HUGE!  She did say that since they are old, their muscles have begun to atrophy and their beginning to become obese, she said in their prime they were 500lbs and 480lbs. Interesting that they actually gained weight as they became older, but captive cats live longer so they probably begin to deteriorate around the age of 15+.

-The male white tigers head and neck were just massive, not an ounce of fat on him, and he is TALL! When he looks at you, you feel his presence. I tried to talk to him in my best "tiger yawl" but I got no response haha

-The female Indian Leopardess was gorgeous, their is a noticeable difference between the african and indian leopards spots, the indian seems to have much darker spots and closer together.

-My challenge to you guys is to guess the age of the cubs.... I got the exact age, lets see how you do. Wink

All and all, the cats look very healthy so they take great care of them and like I said before, this isn't your typical zoo, I was with in 4 feet of these cats and they were all very active unlike many zoo specimens I see.

Pics to follow...
6 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

470lb Male

(I have video of him right up on the fence as well, I don't have a Youtube account though, I may start one to upload it)

One of two tigress in the enclosure, mother of the cubs and mate to the brother of this guy above

Cub and her sister was White

5 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-06-2016, 11:38 PM by Pckts )

2 year old white lion brothers, sons of the 12 year old male white lions from Timbavati.

Here is a video of their fathers from 2014

You can see what she is saying about the atrophy and the beginning of their obesity (weight gain).
HUGE Male African Leopard

Female Indian Leopardess

5 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-06-2016, 11:37 PM by Pckts )

I uploaded some videos

The Male Tiger

Check out that Neck!

One of the Females

The monster male Leopard

3 users Like Pckts's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Amazing experience!! And great pics too, I love the colour of the leopard, he looks like an indian leopard or at least an african one from the forest, because of how dark he is.

Quote:-My challenge to you guys is to guess the age of the cubs.... I got the exact age, lets see how you do.

I would say they are 2-3 months old.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-07-2016, 01:21 AM by Pckts )

Older @Majingilane

To give you another clue... I would guess their weight to be ... 50-100lbs at most.

The leopard is so beautiful, I guess that's why people talk about them in such high regards.
They are bulky and look as though they are power waiting to explode.
I still need to see a Jaguar though... I was soo bummed when I went to the zoo and they weren't out.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Shardul Offline

@Pckts

I would say about 6-8 months.
3 users Like Shardul's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-07-2016, 07:04 AM by Pckts )

8 months @Shardul
Well done
2 users Like Pckts's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-26-2017, 08:39 PM by epaiva )

Parque del Este, Caracas, Venezuela. Male Jaguar

6 users Like epaiva's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

the upper body of that male jaguar is completely different from the rest of his body, quite a unique pattern for a Jaguar. tfs
2 users Like Roflcopters's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Puma female in Parque del Este, Caracas, Venezuela

9 users Like epaiva's post

Poland Hans Kasza Offline

Gdansk Oliwa Zoo, fantastic location under forest hills, with meadows, brooks and ponds.
This zoo can expand with no limits except to finanacial ones, it's very close to city urban area but within forests parts.
In the video you can see only part of animal exposure. I tried to catch interesting moments and zooms.

3 users Like Hans Kasza's post

Poland Hans Kasza Offline

Hmm, not sure..  Is this forum dedicated to predators ??  Pls let me know if my non-predator posts are okay ...

One of my favourite animals in 'beauty' category .  Sitatunga antelopes, absolutely amazing, I think can be compared to Bongo only.
Gdansk Oliwa Zoo.

2 users Like Hans Kasza's post