There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Measured swim speeds of various Dolphin species

United States BoldChamp Offline

First link;

http://darwin.wcupa.edu/~biology/fish/pu...axSwim.pdf

Mean swim speeds of Bottlenosed dolphins was roughly 6.5 meters a sec. Max speed was 8.15 meters a sec. 8 meters a sec was given for the Common dolphin.

Page 4 in this next link gives the swimming speeds for various dolphin species;

http://fishbull.noaa.gov/1041/edwards.pdf

Lagenor or Pacific White Sided dolphins topped at 7.8 meters a sec, for a total of 2 secs.

Porpoising Bottlenosed dolphins managed 11.2 meters a sec. Common dolphins managed 8.8 meters a sec. Spotted dolphins reached 11.1 meters a sec.

Swim speeds of dusky dolphins, page 15;

http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload/documents/...rds270.pdf

Burst speeds ranged from 3.08 - 10.04 meters per sec.
3 users Like BoldChamp's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

Bold, nice to see you weighing in. Seems a lot of the oldtimers are making cameos. Be lucky.

(10-31-2015, 10:53 PM)chaos Wrote: Bold, nice to see you weighing in. Seems a lot of the oldtimers are making cameos. Be lucky.

Glad to join bro. Been off most forums for a while

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

Glad to see you here BoldChamp. It's been a while. I miss the 'old days' but let's make the 'new days' better. 

(11-02-2015, 03:50 PM)brotherbear Wrote: Glad to see you here BoldChamp. It's been a while. I miss the 'old days' but let's make the 'new days' better. 

Nice to see you too bro...its been a while lol. And, I can agree with that
1 user Likes BoldChamp's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-08-2015, 05:33 AM by Pckts )

I heard that Orcas where the fastest swimming mammal, not sure if this is absolutely correct. I need to look in to I think.

The Killer Whale or Orca (Orcinus orca), or less commonly, Blackfish, is the largest species of the dolphin family, though they are commonly mistaken as a species of whale. They are called killer whales often because they sometimes hunt whales for food. They are found in all the world’s oceans, from the frigid Arctic and Antarctic regions to warm, tropical seas. Some killer whale populations feed mostly on fish while others hunt sharks, marine mammals, including sea lions, seals, walruses and even large whales and Great white sharks. The killer whale’s large size and strength make it among the fastest marine mammals, often reaching speeds in excess of 35 kn (65 km/h).

killer whale killer whale
Orcinus orca top speed 30 mph
feels like 9.3 mph
http://www.speedofanimals.com/animals/killer_whale
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Not quite so sure the Orca is the fastest sea mammal.....many sources state this, but i cant find a reliable source on top speed. They seem to use stamina to capture most prey, traveling at a slow speed and for several hours without tiring.
1 user Likes BoldChamp's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-02-2019, 09:25 PM by BorneanTiger )

(12-29-2015, 11:25 AM)BoldChamp Wrote: Not quite so sure the Orca is the fastest sea mammal.....many sources state this, but i cant find a reliable source on top speed. They seem to use stamina to capture most prey, traveling at a slow speed and for several hours without tiring.

The orcawould need enough speed to hunt and catch other dolphins.

For instance, a pod of what were thought to be Eastern Tropical Pacific orcas, which were thought to number at least 10, were seen attacking 20–30 dolphins off the coast of San Clemente, California, on the 29th of July, 2019. After the dolphins stampeded in one direction, the orcas surrounded them, separated an adult from its calf, and one of them caught the calf in its mouth, thus killing it. Despite being much smaller than the orcas, the mother dolphin had unsuccessfully tried to save its calf, and then retaliated against the orcas by circling them: https://www.ocregister.com/2019/07/30/vi...-clemente/