There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Matimba Coalition Male Lineage

lionuk Offline
Contributor

ZigZag 
Photo credit: Hanno Erasmus 

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-07-2021, 12:54 PM)lionuk Wrote: ZigZag 

I think its Older Mbiri.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(09-07-2021, 12:54 PM)lionuk Wrote: ZigZag 

This is the Nsemani male.
4 users Like Timbavati's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(09-07-2021, 05:13 PM)Timbavati Wrote: This is the Nsemani male.
Thanks for the clarification. I think Zigzag and Nsemani male look similar.
5 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

The senior Mbiri boy aka Nsemani male. Massive size inherited from Matimba males.
Photo credits: Pogieter

13 users Like lionuk's post

leaobr Offline

(09-09-2021, 02:24 PM)lionuk Wrote: The senior Mbiri boy aka Nsemani male. Massive size inherited from Matimba males.

Does he have any coalition partner or is he alone?
3 users Like leaobr's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-09-2021, 04:52 PM)leaobr Wrote: Does he have any coalition partner or is he alone?

He has, Rockfig male.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(09-09-2021, 04:52 PM)leaobr Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 02:24 PM)lionuk Wrote: The senior Mbiri boy aka Nsemani male. Massive size inherited from Matimba males.

Yes, it's Rockfig male. To find out more about these males, watch this great video: 

4 users Like lionuk's post

leaobr Offline

(09-09-2021, 10:37 PM)lionuk Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 04:52 PM)leaobr Wrote:

Yes, it's Rockfig male. To find out more about these males, watch this great video: 

Thanks! Nice vídeo!

Whats about others mbiri males?

As far as I know there are Shaka and Big Boy forming a coalition and ZigZag Mbiri alone, is that right?

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(09-10-2021, 12:12 AM)leaobr Wrote: Whats about others mbiri males?

As far as I know there are Shaka and Big Boy forming a coalition and ZigZag Mbiri alone, is that right?
There are two sets of Mbiri males in the Kruger. One set was born in 2011 and the second set was born in 2013. The two older Mbiri male got separated in 2015 and they couldn’t find each other so they both found new partners, the one Mbiri male which we are familiar with joined the nomadic Rockfig male and they now dominate the Nsemani Dam area around Orpen.

The younger Mbiri males were a coalition of three males, they come from the Mbiri pride, which is a breakaway of the Skybed pride. They used to spend most of their younger years near the Orpen camp until one of the males disappeared. And Zigzag Mbiri isn't alone; he is with Shaka Mbiri. 
5 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

@leaobr I see that you have Junior Othawa as profile picture. I really hope he will be seen very soon along with other young matimba subadult. It's very unfortunate that they got separated from other matimba subadults that are in Sabi Sands now.
3 users Like lionuk's post

leaobr Offline

Yeah, Othawa Jr. was one of the first lions that I accompanied when I started following lions, like one and a half year ago, that's why I chose this photo. It's a shame that we can't get much update about him and the other mini matimba male right now as they are in Kruger.
It seems to me kinda difficult that they can reunite again, unless Jr. is close to SS.

Thanks for the update about the Mbiris, I really thought that Zigzag Mbiri and the one that is with Shaka were not the same...
So, there are 4 Mbiris males around, right?
1 user Likes leaobr's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-10-2021, 05:18 AM)leaobr Wrote: Thanks for the update about the Mbiris, I really thought that Zigzag Mbiri and the one that is with Shaka were not the same...

- Nsemani (Older Mbiri) male

- ZigZag and Shaka Mbiri

- 2 out of 3 Tintswalo males ( Mchile and Mandevu) are also Mbiris

Those are all Mbiris currently alive.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(09-10-2021, 05:18 AM)leaobr Wrote: Yeah, Othawa Jr. was one of the first lions that I accompanied when I started following lions, like one and a half year ago, that's why I chose this photo. It's a shame that we can't get much update about him and the other mini matimba male right now as they are in Kruger.
It seems to me kinda difficult that they can reunite again, unless Jr. is close to SS.

Thanks for the update about the Mbiris, I really thought that Zigzag Mbiri and the one that is with Shaka were not the same...

Currently there are 3 Mbiri males sired by the N. Matimba males that are still alive. 

-Senior Mbiri aka Nsemani male
-Zigzag Mbiri
-Shaka Mbiri
4 users Like lionuk's post

leaobr Offline

Right! Thank you @lionuk and @Tr1x24 !
2 users Like leaobr's post