There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive Great White

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-23-2017, 07:38 PM by epaiva )

Great White Shark tooth compared to a Orca tooth

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like epaiva's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(08-23-2017, 09:05 AM)peter Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 05:01 AM)chaos Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 03:29 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 02:02 AM)Pckts Wrote: And a whale shark is only around 20 tons, hard to believe the Megalodon could of been 3x's its size.

The largest Megalodon is at least 5 meters longer than the largest whale shark, and it is also proportionally heavier.

Just curious as to the weight of a full grown bull Orca. Various estimates range from 6-10 tons. They are quite powerful and agile swimmers.
Hypothetically speaking, I'm sure the path of Killer whales pods and the giant Megalodon have crossed. The outcome of a such an encounter
piques my interest, for sure. The level of intellect and group interaction/cooperation amongst Orcas is a fascinating subject. Anyhow, I'll try
to keep on topic going forward.

In Eden (southeastern part of Australia), there is a museum dedicated to a male orca. Quite some time ago, there was an alliance between local fishermen and a pod. This was in the days of whaling. The orcas drove passing whales into the bay, where they were killed. The firshermen took what they wanted and the orcas got the parts they preferred.

Hunting whales was risky business. More than once, a boat was destroyed. In the cold water, the fishermen often were surrounded by orcas. Not one fishermen was ever killed by a shark. In spite of the orcas, white sharks entered the bay at times. Some years ago, I posted a photograph of a female white shark killed just a few feet from the shore. She was just under 18 feet and mighty big.

The pod leader was called 'Old Tom'. When the days of whaling were nearly over, Old Tom died in the bay. His body was dragged into the harbour. I saw his bones in the museum. The skeleton had a total length of about 22 feet. A local reporter did a lot of research and wrote a book. I bought it. Very interesting.

Orcas don't play the piano, but the writer was amazed at what he discovered. Intelligence has many faces.

Different regions produce different orcas. Some are large, whereas others more or less compare to adult white sharks. In a museum, I thought it was Berlin, I saw the jaw of Megalodon. Insane. At that size, there would have been no need for any kind of cooperation.

White sharks, in contrast to what many seem to think, cooperate at times. I saw congregations of males in the waters surrounding New Zealand in a documentary. There are detailed reports of white sharks hunting in pairs. Some people were taken by a pair in Southern Australia. What do we know?

Perhaps there is a degree of social interaction amongst GW's, or maybe they just decided to have a quick meal together before consummating their relationship. Who knows?
2 users Like chaos's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-24-2017, 01:23 AM by epaiva )

Credit in picture 1 @whitesharksdaily Credits in pictures 2, 3 and 4 to @greatwhiteadventure

7 users Like epaiva's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(08-23-2017, 07:36 PM)epaiva Wrote: Great White Shark tooth compared to a Orca tooth

It would be more intuitive if Bone Clones could provide the replica of the largest specimen for both species.
2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(08-24-2017, 02:15 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 07:36 PM)epaiva Wrote: Great White Shark tooth compared to a Orca tooth

It would be more intuitive if Bone Clones could provide the replica of the largest specimen for both species.

I totally agree with you the replica of the Great White Shark belonged to a big Shark but we don't know if the replica of the Orca came from a big specimen
2 users Like epaiva's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

The GW tooth looks like belonging to a 2 tons specimen, while the orca tooth looks not particularly impressive, maybe an average specimen at best.
2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 08:16 AM by epaiva )

Pictures courtesy of George T. Probst, he is a Hobbyist shark photographer who has visited Guadalupe Island since 2006, he has a incredible collection of Great White Sharks pictures he shares with the world in instagram with a incredible number of followers. I asked him what was the estimated size of largest Great White Shark he has seen and he told me that he has seen up to 5,50 m long (18 ft). You can take a good look at his incredible collection in @iphotographsharks

6 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 08:45 AM by epaiva )

Measurements of the Jaw and Dentition of White SHARKS
TL =Total length; FUJP= fresh upper jaw perimeter; DUJP= dried upper jaw perimeter; UA1E2= tooth enameloid height; UA1H= tooth total height; UA1W= tooth total width of the larger first uppertooth of white sharks. Book GREAT WHITE SHARKS The Biology of Carcharodon carcharias (A. Peter Klimley and David G. Ainley)

3 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-30-2017, 08:29 AM by epaiva )

Comparing one of the biggest Carcharodon megalodon tooth ever found with an average size C. megalodon tooth and a tooth of a big Great White Shark. Largest tooth pictured is actual size, taken from the book MEGALODON Hunting the Hunter (Mark Renz)

Canine Expert
Moderators

That's definitely one of the biggest Meg teeth, over 7 inches in the slant height, and probably weighs about 700 grams.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 05:07 AM by epaiva )

Pictures courtesy of George T. Probst,
@iphotographsharks

United Kingdom Genghis Offline
Banned

Giant 22ft 5085lb, Great White Shark caught by Vic Hislop.

1 user Likes Genghis's post

Canada Wolverine Away

(08-25-2017, 08:05 AM)epaiva Wrote: Pictures courtesy of George T. Probst, he is a Hobbyist shark photographer who has visited Guadalupe Island since 2006, he has a incredible collection of Great White Sharks pictures he shares with the world in instagram with a incredible number of followers. I asked him what was the estimated size of largest Great White Shark he has seen and he told me that he has seen up to 5,50 m long (18 ft). You can take a good look at his incredible collection in @iphotographsharks.

Amigo, probably you have seen this incredible film from 2014 called "Jaws strikes back", shot in Guadalupe Island. Using ultra modern technology the scientists proved that the big white shark is hiding in around 150 m deep waters, where it's invisible and wait until sea lion start swimming on the surface. Then suddenly the shark start ascending with big speed from below as a monster from the abyss and bite the unsuspicious victim... 
This a Russian website for wildlife films, don't worry there are no viruses there, I have seen multiply times:

http://dokonlin.ru/video/chelyusti-nanos...ws-st.html
2 users Like Wolverine's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-13-2018, 05:25 AM by epaiva )

(08-12-2018, 11:29 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 08:05 AM)epaiva Wrote: Pictures courtesy of George T. Probst, he is a Hobbyist shark photographer who has visited Guadalupe Island since 2006, he has a incredible collection of Great White Sharks pictures he shares with the world in instagram with a incredible number of followers. I asked him what was the estimated size of largest Great White Shark he has seen and he told me that he has seen up to 5,50 m long (18 ft). You can take a good look at his incredible collection in @iphotographsharks.

Amigo, probably you have seen this incredible film from 2014 called "Jaws strikes back", shot in Guadalupe Island. Using ultra modern technology the scientists proved that the big white shark is hiding in around 150 m deep waters, where it's invisible and wait until sea lion start swimming on the surface. Then suddenly the shark start ascending with big speed from below as a monster from the abyss and bite the unsuspicious victim... 
This a Russian website for wildlife films, don't worry there are no viruses there, I have seen multiply times:

http://dokonlin.ru/video/chelyusti-nanos...ws-st.html
@Wolverine
Yes my Friend I saw the film and I liked it a lot. Thanks a lot

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 08-13-2018, 10:15 AM by Wolverine )

@Shir Babr do you have an idea - for tourists visiting beach resorts of Mexican California (Baja California) is there opportunity to make some kind of Big White shark "safari"? As long as I know Mexican California altogether with South Africa and Southern Australia are the best places in the world to spot Big whites. Do you think such a place is close to some major resort? If you stay in hotel is it possible to rent a boat for such a purpose?
1 user Likes Wolverine's post