There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maps of Sabi Sand Coalitions Males and Prides

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-16-2019, 05:36 PM by Tr1x24 )

MAP OF KNOWN COALITIONS OF KRUGER

Note: This is approx. where this coalitions are, exact size and area of some coalitions territory might not be 100% accurate,its based on the last/recent sighting of that coalition,which is mostly around some roads or camps,with lack of camps in Kruger its impossible to known their exact territory. If somebody knows about other coalitions and their approx. territory especially in the northern Kruger,let me know,i will add it to the map.

*This image is copyright of its original author
12 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Great work! As I understand Aberskopie males are the ones which hangs with River and Western prides. It is kind of strange for me that you did not put them on the border with Mbiris.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-15-2019, 12:44 AM)Potato Wrote: Great work! As I understand Aberskopie males are the ones which hangs with River and Western prides. It is kind of strange for me that you did not put them on the border with Mbiris

No, as i understand 3 out of this 5 young River Pride/new Vuyela males hangs out with those pride, i posted where they where seen all 5 of them on a kill with lioness from River Pride recently and mated with her. 
Aberskopies are older it seems, and 1 had a serious limp on 2 legs few months ago, so its unknown if he is still alive. Did they rename Aberskopies to this Vuyela males? There where saying that there was 5 of this Vuyela males, not 3..idk..

But this males are maybe 2 males with Western pride seen lately:

Idk, all this situation with these males in this area is confusing, its seem that guides are mistaking this males aswell, we just need to wait for this situation to settle down a bit..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-15-2019, 02:54 PM by Potato )

The Vuela males and the 3 males which are hanging with River pride are definitelly two different coalitions. Vuelas are a bit further west (most of their pictures are from nThambo Tree Camp and Africa on Foot Camp) and the single lionesses they are with is not from River pride. I am not sure if the 3 which hangs with River pride and that which are seen with Western pride are the same coalition althrough number coalition matches, distance between those 2 prides is not too big and that is what you added to our recent discution: 
Taken at Motswari as I remember correctly:

Taken on Rockfig or Umlani as far as I remember:

Also again what comes to Vuelas and dominant males of River pride being other coalition here is one of the recent reports of Tanda Tula:

To begin with, a correction is needed on last week’s discussion of how the River Pride males were taking over the Mbiri’s territory.  This was not because the Mbiri’s returned to claim their land (although, as I type this I can hear them roaring near camp), but rather the fact that we have been able to positively establish the identity of the three males, and know for certain that they are not the River Pride young males, but rather three new boys that appear to originate from the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve. The females that they are spending their time with are the four River Pride lionesses, and as it stands, it does appear that they may in fact, be setting themselves up as the pride males for these four ladies.  These two groups of lions provided for the bulk of our lion viewing this week, with the highlight being the three males roaring into the darkness one evening.

Three of the lionesses were seen with a baby giraffe kill earlier in the week and then spent two days sleeping off fat bellies before the fourth lioness re-joined.  The week closed off with a sighting of the two Zebenine lionesses resting next to their zebra kill, and it was wonderful to see both of them looking so healthy.  The Mayambula Pride remained unseen, despite the positive news that they did return to our concession, albeit briefly; their tracks were found on the far eastern boundary, but sadly we never caught up with them.  Other reports of lions in the area included the Giraffe Pride in the far west, as well as the other new pride of five males and one lioness in that western sector, but with lions in the east, the Tanda Tula guides didn’t venture that far afield.

That pride seen further wast are definitelly Vuela males.
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-15-2019, 03:58 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-15-2019, 02:52 PM)Potato Wrote: The Vuela males and the 3 males which are hanging with River pride are definitelly two different coalitions. Vuelas are a bit further west (most of their pictures are from nThambo Tree Camp and Africa on Foot Camp) and the single lionesses they are with is not from River pride. I am not sure if the 3 which hangs with River pride and that which are seen with Western pride are the same coalition althrough number coalition matches, distance between those 2 prides is not too big and that is what you added to our recent discution: 
Taken at Motswari as I remember correctly:

Taken on Rockfig or Umlani as far as I remember:

Also again what comes to Vuelas and dominant males of River pride being other coalition here is one of the recent reports of Tanda Tula:

To begin with, a correction is needed on last week’s discussion of how the River Pride males were taking over the Mbiri’s territory.  This was not because the Mbiri’s returned to claim their land (although, as I type this I can hear them roaring near camp), but rather the fact that we have been able to positively establish the identity of the three males, and know for certain that they are not the River Pride young males, but rather three new boys that appear to originate from the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve. The females that they are spending their time with are the four River Pride lionesses, and as it stands, it does appear that they may in fact, be setting themselves up as the pride males for these four ladies.  These two groups of lions provided for the bulk of our lion viewing this week, with the highlight being the three males roaring into the darkness one evening.

Three of the lionesses were seen with a baby giraffe kill earlier in the week and then spent two days sleeping off fat bellies before the fourth lioness re-joined.  The week closed off with a sighting of the two Zebenine lionesses resting next to their zebra kill, and it was wonderful to see both of them looking so healthy.  The Mayambula Pride remained unseen, despite the positive news that they did return to our concession, albeit briefly; their tracks were found on the far eastern boundary, but sadly we never caught up with them.  Other reports of lions in the area included the Giraffe Pride in the far west, as well as the other new pride of five males and one lioness in that western sector, but with lions in the east, the Tanda Tula guides didn’t venture that far afield.

That pride seen further wast are definitelly Vuela males

So if it is that Abercrombies are those new males in town, then theres for sure that 5 Vuyela males are indeed the 5 young River Pride males no?? I doubt 2 coalitions of young males came to this are in the same time...
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

There is not yet confirmation from any lodge so far as to where do 5 Vuelas come from, althrough coalition numbers matchs and the distance between them and River pride is not very big so that those being young River males seems for me as likely option. 

" I doubt 2 coalitions of young males came to this are in the same time."

Especially that so big coalitions as 5 are rather rare althrough it is not impossible.  
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-16-2019, 05:37 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-15-2019, 04:48 PM)Potato Wrote: There is not yet confirmation from any lodge so far as to where do 5 Vuelas come from, althrough coalition numbers matchs and the distance between them and River pride is not very big so that those being young River males seems for me as likely option. 

" I doubt 2 coalitions of young males came to this are in the same time."

Especially that so big coalitions as 5 are rather rare althrough it is not impossible.  

Agree, finally some light to this confused situation..

Edit: i fixed the map,and added 2 Leeupan males around Tshokwane.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Bosnia and Herzegovina pancho Offline
New Join

Great job . thank you :)
(12-14-2019, 10:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: MAP OF KNOWN COALITIONS OF KRUGER

Note: This is approx. where this coalitions are, exact size and area of some coalitions territory might not be 100% accurate,its based on the last/recent sighting of that coalition,which is mostly around some roads or camps,with lack of camps in Kruger its impossible to known their exact territory. If somebody knows about other coalitions and their approx. territory especially in the northern Kruger,let me know,i will add it to the map.

2 users Like pancho's post

Korea, Republic of cpf27 Offline
New Join

(12-14-2019, 10:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: MAP OF KNOWN COALITIONS OF KRUGER

Thank you. Nice job! 

Does anybody know if there is a similar map for Masai Mara?
1 user Likes cpf27's post

239Pu Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-29-2019, 03:32 AM by 239Pu Edit Reason: more quesions )

thank you for making the map Tr1x24 I reference it all the time now . so there are two sets of Jock coalitions ? i searched a bit but can't find any info about the young group . and why are there no lion on the northern half of Kruger ? also curious why Sabi Sand Lions are 50 times more popular than all the others ?
1 user Likes 239Pu's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-29-2019, 03:21 AM)239Pu Wrote: thank you for making the map Tr1x24 I reference it all the time now . so there are two sets of Jock coalitions ? i searched a bit but can't find any info about the young group . and why are there no lion on the northern half of Kruger  ? also curious why Sabi Sand Lions are 50 times more popular than all the others ?

Yea, older Jock males are about 11 years old, they are from the Jock pride aswell as these younger ones, but moved from that area long time ago, these younger ones left the pride just around 1 year ago, they where sired by Stolsnek males. 

There is lions in the norther Kruger just as anywhere else, but are not named/followed and known as the rest ones,idk why. 

Sabi Sands are the most popular because it has the most camps/lodges etc, also Mapogos documentary contributed alot aswell.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 12-29-2019, 01:09 PM by sik94 )

Some parts of KNP aren't as accessible by road, and if I am not wrong there are some parts that are even completely off-limits to human/tourist traffic. BTW the Stolsnek males lost the jock pride to Eastern Bank males right? Are they nomadic nowdays?
2 users Like sik94's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-29-2019, 01:05 PM)sik94 Wrote: Some parts of KNP aren't as accessible by road, and if I am not wrong there are some parts that are even completely off-limits to human/tourist traffic. BTW the Stolsnek males lost the jock pride to Eastern Bank males right? Are they nomadic nowdays?

Well yea EBM ousted Stolsnek males out of that area,they killed 1 of them. I know for sure they did takeover Byamiti pride from them, for Jock pride im not sure,i think they run away to save the cubs, because i dont think this young Jocks would survive otherwise, that was in 2016, later on to the end of 2017, 3 Thomson males came and push EBM further south and where dominant over Jock pride after that, they ousted young Jocks out of the pride.

I think theres no Stolsnek males alive atm, i belive that only 1 was alive till the end of 2017,prob dead by now.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

239Pu Offline

The western Mbiri are these two correct ? who are the eastern Lion ? are they related ? and who are the abercrombie (i cant read the alias) coalition ? any photos of them ?
1 user Likes 239Pu's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-24-2020, 02:56 AM)239Pu Wrote: The western Mbiri are these two correct ? who are the eastern Lion ? are they related ? and who are the abercrombie (i cant read the alias) coalition ? any photos of them ?

Yes, both born in Mbiri pride, western in 2013, Eastern are older, born in 2011, 2 brothers that got separeted, 1 is with Rockfig male (look Nsemani coalition on the map) and another is with unknown partner where you pointed out.

This map is a bit outdated, it was made when now named 3 Nharhu males where stil a mystery , so i taught that they where Abercrombie males, but they arent. So there where says 3 Abercrombies those are 3 Nharhus. 

Abercrombies are a bit north. 

I need to update the maps, i might do it these days with this quarantine stuff.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post