There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-30-2020, 09:43 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 09:31 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Hercules male seen recently South Western areas of Timbavati, and currently on Sandringham

Wait, what are they doing there?? They abandoned/lost Scorro pride?

Idk. The Sumatra male has a few injuries on his shoulders and probably he is still limping.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Heard Male lions roaring this morning and came across the Scorro Brothers hopefully they expanding more into Argyle property
Image by: Frank de Beer

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Timbavati's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-30-2020, 08:27 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: What a good news!
Hercules and Sumatra were seen recently
Information by Rudi Hulshof!  Not my images.
Sorry about cell phone quality, but looking for an ID on these two please. South Western areas of Timbavati, and currently on Sandringham. Looks like one has a heating wound on his back between the shoulders.
I'll share the images soon. I need download the images

Did they not close the fence going into Sandringham? That'll be disappointing if they leave it open.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-31-2020, 04:02 AM by Timbavati )

(10-31-2020, 02:49 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
Sorry about cell phone quality, but looking for an ID on these two please. South Western areas of Timbavati, and currently on Sandringham. Looks like one has a heating wound on his back between the shoulders.

Did they not close the fence going into Sandringham? That'll be disappointing if they leave it open.

I'm very surprised, and concerned much as you my friend.

Today I'll try to talk a few hours with Rudi Hulshof about this fence between those areas as Thornybush,Timbavati  and the Sandringham area as well. A very curious point is  that they have traveling a very far distances judging by the location where they were seen recently. The Injuries of the Hercules male look like to be inflicted by another lions
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-31-2020, 03:14 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: I'm very surprised, and concerned much as you my friend.

Today I'll try to talk a few hours with Rudi Hulshof about this fence between those areas as Thornybush,Timbavati  and the Sandringham area as well. A very curious point is  that they have traveling a very far distances judging by the location where they were seen recently. The Injuries of the Sumatra male look like to be inflicted by another lions

Maybe Mbiris takeover their territory? They where seen lately around Orpen Gate and H7 road towards Tamboti, area in which Hercules and Sumatra where..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-31-2020, 03:23 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 03:14 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: I'm very surprised, and concerned much as you my friend.

Today I'll try to talk a few hours with Rudi Hulshof about this fence between those areas as Thornybush,Timbavati  and the Sandringham area as well. A very curious point is  that they have traveling a very far distances judging by the location where they were seen recently. The Injuries of the Sumatra male look like to be inflicted by another lions

Maybe Mbiris takeover their territory? They where seen lately around Orpen Gate and H7 road towards Tamboti, area in which Hercules and Sumatra where..

Nobody knows at this point. If we make assumptions about just a sighting of them far away of their area could be very pretty wrong... Especially when the sightings of the Mbiri males are less and less. Let's see what Rudi say tomorrow
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Super Moderator

(10-31-2020, 03:14 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 02:49 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

I'm very surprised, and concerned much as you my friend.

Yes, it seems that Sandringham is where lions go and disappear, so is very concerning if they still have an open passage. Do we have pictures of Sumatra's injuries, or is that just what the guides said? This is a very strange situation.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Here's  another photo of the Hercules male from another side. I need to apologize for my terrible mistake. The injured male on the shoulders is the Hercules male instead the Sumatra
Image credits goes to his original author
Photo providing by: Rudi Hulshof

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Both males resting under the shadow of a tree.
The Sumatra + Hercules males are on good shape despite that injury on the Hercules male.
Image credits goes to his original author

Photo providing by: Rudi Hulshof

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-31-2020, 04:54 AM by Potato )

Wow, so it seems they were ousted from their territory. Recently, like 3 Tintswalo sofa safari episodes ago Mbiris were seen in northern Manyeleti. A bit ealier also in Ngala  and yet a bit ealier they were chassing other males on the road from Orpen Gate. All of that is around Skorro pride and Sumatra/Hercules coalition territorys. Moreover recently Nharhu males with River pride were seen quite a lot in land which for the last couple of months was Mbiri males and Myambula pride territory which suggest newly made vacum. All those thinks are pointing out on that Mbiri males expanded further south and as we all know they are more than capable on taking on other male lions coalitions with equal numbers.
2 users Like Potato's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-31-2020, 05:45 AM by BA0701 )

(10-31-2020, 04:53 AM)Potato Wrote: Wow, so it seems they were ousted from their territory. Recently, like 3 Tintswalo sofa safari episodes ago Mbiris were seen in northern Manyeleti. A bit ealier also in Ngala  and yet a bit ealier they were chassing other males on the road from Orpen Gate. All of that is around Skorro pride and Sumatra/Hercules coalition territorys. Moreover recently Nharhu males with River pride were seen quite a lot in land which for the last couple of months was Mbiri males and Myambula pride territory which suggest newly made vacum. All those thinks are pointing out on that Mbiri males expanded further south and as we all know they are more than capable on taking on other male lions coalitions with equal numbers.

@Potato I am thinking along the same lines as you are, it does appear they have been driven out, at least until we hear more from the folks on the ground. I really didn't think the Mbiris, were up to the task yet, clearly that assumption looks to be incorrect. The one thing I am most puzzled by is the lack of bite marks anywhere else, besides the middle of Hercules' back. That seems an odd place for such an injury, and equally odd is the lack of apparent bite marks anywhere else, namely the back legs or front paws. I now hope to see images of the Mbiris, if they become available.

**EDITED**
Wrong Mbiris
2 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-31-2020, 05:33 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 04:53 AM)Potato Wrote: Wow, so it seems they were ousted from their territory. Recently, like 3 Tintswalo sofa safari episodes ago Mbiris were seen in northern Manyeleti. A bit ealier also in Ngala  and yet a bit ealier they were chassing other males on the road from Orpen Gate. All of that is around Skorro pride and Sumatra/Hercules coalition territorys. Moreover recently Nharhu males with River pride were seen quite a lot in land which for the last couple of months was Mbiri males and Myambula pride territory which suggest newly made vacum. All those thinks are pointing out on that Mbiri males expanded further south and as we all know they are more than capable on taking on other male lions coalitions with equal numbers.

@Potato I am thinking along the same lines as you are, it does appear they have been driven out, at least until we hear more from the folks on the ground. I really didn't think the Mbiris, were up to the task yet, clearly that assumption looks to be incorrect. The one thing I am most puzzled by is the lack of bite marks anywhere else, besides the middle of Hercules' back. That seems an odd place for such an injury, and equally odd is the lack of apparent bite marks anywhere else, namely the back legs or front paws. I now hope to see images of the Mbiris, if they become available.

On a side note, if the Mbiris did this to these two lions, I think Birmingham Young Male was very fortunate that he got as close as he did a few days ago, and remained unseen by them. That could have been a fatal error for him, especially given the fact that they were feeding on a kill. Given all of this recent information, I wonder if it was the Mbiris who were roaring at the Ross males a few days ago as well, or could it have possibly been Hercules and Sumatra. Regardless, things are really dynamic in that region right now.

Hey @BA0701  Here @Potato  is referring to the Mbiri males sons of the Northern Matimba males. Who are much bigger and height than the young Mbiri from Manyeleti. To be honest. The injury of Hercules I was starting with the fact that has been caused by a fight with a lion. Nonetheless I've see since close  as you have told me before. There's not are bite marks as well not on his body parts just this injury on his shoulders... 

You here have said a good possibilities. Hercules and Sumatra were deeper into Ngala more than one time for years now as the Skorro pride too. So nothing is surprising at this stage. The lion dynamics are being crazy everytime that we heard something about them!

Super Moderator

(10-31-2020, 05:41 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 05:33 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

On a side note, if the Mbiris did this to these two lions, I think Birmingham Young Male was very fortunate that he got as close as he did a few days ago, and remained unseen by them. That could have been a fatal error for him, especially given the fact that they were feeding on a kill. Given all of this recent information, I wonder if it was the Mbiris who were roaring at the Ross males a few days ago as well, or could it have possibly been Hercules and Sumatra. Regardless, things are really dynamic in that region right now.

Hey @BA0701  Here @Potato  is referring to the Mbiri males sons of the Northern Matimba males. Who are much bigger and height than the young Mbiri from Manyeleti. To be honest. The injury of Hercules I was starting with the fact that has been caused by a fight with a lion. Nonetheless I've see since close  as you have told me before. There's not are bite marks as well not on his body parts just this injury on his shoulders... 

You here have said a good possibilities. Hercules and Sumatra were deeper into Ngala more than one time for years now as the Skorro pride too. So nothing is surprising at this stage. The lion dynamics are being crazy everytime that we heard something about them!

Yes indeed @"TinoArmando" Thank you for that clarification my friend, as always it is appreciated.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"The one thing I am most puzzled by is the lack of bite marks anywhere else, besides the middle of Hercules' back. That seems an odd place for such an injury, and equally odd is the lack of apparent bite marks anywhere else, namely the back legs or front paws."

Yeah, that seems a bit odd, but perhaps Sumatra male have more wounds, just they haven't been visible on the photos of him we have there. Could also be the males which done it to him very already satisfied with that damage and did not maul him further.  Could also be that Sumatra male showed himself at the scena and drive aggressors away as it was when Charleson males atacked Fredy and Solo.

"On a side note, if the Mbiris did this to these two lions, I think Birmingham Young Male was very fortunate that he got as close as he did a few days ago, and remained unseen by them. That could have been a fatal error for him, especially given the fact that they were feeding on a kill."

You now confuse two sets of Mbiri males. I was talking about older Mbiris sired by Matimbas and dominant over Myambula pride, not about the younger Mbiris which make coalition of 4 with Nharu male.

"Given all of this recent information, I wonder if it was the Mbiris who were roaring at the Ross males a few days ago as well, or could it have possibly been Hercules and Sumatra. Regardless, things are really dynamic in that region right now."

Yeah, could have been males that oust Sumatra and Hercules males marking now border of their territory or Sumatra and Hersules themselfs trying to find other land they can take over.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"Who are much bigger and height than the young Mbiri from Manyeleti"

I am alctually curious on that matter. Younger set of Mbiri male also is said to be very large. Older Mbiris even through beasly doesn't need to be bigger at that stage at all than younger Mbiris. 

"The injury of Hercules I was starting with the fact that has been caused by a fight with a lion. Nonetheless I've see since close  as you have told me before. There's not are bite marks as well not on his body parts just this injury on his shoulders... "

That wound acctually look similar to that made there (at 0:10) : 

1 user Likes Potato's post