There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States Cath2020 Offline

Yes, I do think there's a good possibility that they are cubs of the Gijima Males.  I checked back on the last time the SP female mated with the Gijimas, and it happened definitely throughout Aug., up until the very end of the month, (that was filmed).  So, the cubs, would have been born sometime in Dec.  Do the cubs look like they are about 3 months old?  We never saw any S. Avocas on camera mating with her.  In fact, they spend the vast majority of their time now with the Plains Camp Pride in Kruger. 

The mother must be a lioness that has much older offspring with the S. Avocas, the 4 subs now over 2-3 years old.
3 users Like Cath2020's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

New updates.
K6 was seen with BDMs.
Well she is brave and experienced enough to deal with new males. Hopefully everything goes smoothly

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like DARK MANE's post

RookiePundit Offline

That the infertile one. No surprise, she tends to go out of their way to mate with the new males, was first to mate with Ndzhengas (at least first observed), with Ubuso ti be precise. It is kind of sad, she probably can't help it and is urged to try to have cubs over and over again. Could be tactical to keep them at bay, but they are not such a threat yet and she rather pulls males in then vice versa (Ohawa in particular went too all in).
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-23-2023, 06:31 PM by 1999gc8 )

Lion Dynamics of Sabi Sands as of March 2023

8 users Like 1999gc8's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(03-23-2023, 06:45 AM)DARK MANE Wrote: New updates.
K6 was seen with BDMs.
Well she is brave and experienced enough to deal with new males. Hopefully everything goes smoothly

Im not sure if lions can actually realize that they are infertile. In case they can, this female is using her infertility to lure away BD, whils the others care for the cubs because she wont have cubs anyway.
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

They may think its odd how everyone seems to get cubs but they don't, but I don't think animals connect mating with pregnancy that much. Animals live very much in the moment and it can take week before the first symptoms start to appear. Especially for a infertile lioness the connection would be difficult to make. Afterall, she has been mating as well without cubs. 

Lionesses also don't care much about who the father is of their cubs. They may have a sexual preference if it comes to males if they have a choice. But they are not going to accept or reject cubs if they are solely the result of a diversion mating. A cub is a cub for them. 

I think the low fertility of lions is actually more an evolutionary advantage. Having a infertile lioness around keeps the cubs to adult ratio low. While ensuring that there is always a mating lioness to keep the males from wandering off to far.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-24-2023, 01:33 AM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(03-23-2023, 06:45 AM)DARK MANE Wrote: New updates.
K6 was seen with BDMs.

Im not sure if lions can actually realize that they are infertile. In case they can, this female is using her infertility to lure away BD, whils the others care for the cubs because she wont have cubs anyway.

This is simply instinctive desire to reproduce, not some thinking few steps ahead.
3 users Like Potato's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I think lionesses realize pretty quickly that males are pretty obsessed with sex and use that to their advantage. It doesn't take much 3 dimensional chess or something.

lionuk Offline
Contributor

1/2 Black Dam males and Kambula female 6 cosying up
Credit: MalaMala

9 users Like lionuk's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(03-24-2023, 01:25 PM)lionuk Wrote: 1/2 Black Dam males and Kambula female 6 cosying up
Credit: MalaMala

It’s amazing how far these boys have come.    I remember their travels from the North…..then seen in western sector of Sabi Sand…being mis identified by guides thinking it was Styx male…..then others thinking it was Nkuhuma in Londolozi being trapped and chased by Kambulas, Tinyo and Nhena,,,,,also both boys taking a look through Tintwalo territory in Manyeleti.    Then back home to meet their brothers for a short while.    Here is footage of when 1/2 of them was luckily found in time as he had escaped the park.   He had no idea how close he was to being euthanized / killed.    Now turn the clocks forward and he’s here mating with the Big Mamma Jamma Kambula herself.   I love lions!

Posting twice in case one link expires in the future.

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Yep, these guys had a quite nomadic journey in the past 1.5 years or so, traveled whole Thornybush, Timbavati, Manyeleti and half of Sabi Sands few times.

They first came to spotlight on this video from Manyeleti, as unknown males, later to be indentified as 2/6 BDM's :

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Mohawked BDM :

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

So, i think that's something that confuses me.  The Black Dam Males in Sabi right now are part of the larger group of Black Dam's in Kruger right?  So in theory, the other 4 could one day show up and say we all belong?

Gavskrr Offline

(03-24-2023, 10:43 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: So, i think that's something that confuses me.  The Black Dam Males in Sabi right now are part of the larger group of Black Dam's in Kruger right?  So in theory, the other 4 could one day show up and say we all belong?

actually these 2 almost always wandered differently than the other brothers in timbavati, so I would say that they can already be considered different coalitions and hardly their brothers would wander to sabisands to join these guys. It's not something very out of the ordinary, it's happened with matimbas for example but in this case the distance between them is much greater
3 users Like Gavskrr's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-27-2022, 06:24 AM)DARK MANE Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 04:39 AM)Cunaguaro Wrote: A crazy sighting at @nkorhobushlodge of the young Talamati male leads the operation to overthrow a huge buffalo with the rest of his pride by @mattywarephotography2020
We're they successful?

(03-24-2023, 10:43 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: So, i think that's something that confuses me.  The Black Dam Males in Sabi right now are part of the larger group of Black Dam's in Kruger right?  So in theory, the other 4 could one day show up and say we all belong?

Not Kruger but the Thornybush area of Timbavati.   

Think of them similar to the two older Brothers of the Kambulas that left their 4 younger siblings and made their own path.  

These two for the last 18-24 months have done just that.  The two have gone as far south as western sector of SS.   Central Davis Sand , Tintswalo area of Manyeleti and back to Timbavati and now back to northern Sabi sand. Definitely finding their own path.   I myself have been cheering them on to stay here.    After following this adventure, indefinitely want to see how it all continues.  

WRT your question about the other 4…they have not shown this same adventurous behavior.   They’ve pretty much have stayed up. North the entire time.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post