There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(11-20-2022, 06:09 AM)abbeyster Wrote:
(11-20-2022, 03:49 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-20-2022, 03:34 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: How many of them in the coalition? Just these 3 (if it's them)?

Nop, they are massive coalition, 8 young males and 1 older (Dreadlocks DeLaporte), but looks like they are recently spliting into 5 + 3 groups.  3 of them actually might be those who escaped Kruger Park recently.

These guys will be a problem for territorial coalitions around Skukuza in near future, if they stay here.

Hello,

Is the DeLaporte the name of the Tsalala male lion, brother to the Tsalala queen and uncle to the last Tsalala lioness?

Thanks

No, Dreadlocks isnt the Tsalala male, he was one of his coalition partners. He came from Jock pride and was possibly fathered by Stolsnek males
5 users Like Mdz123's post

United States BorntobeWild Online

(11-19-2022, 11:56 PM)Salman B.A.M Wrote: DM has passed away unfortunately today confirmed on  https://youtu.be/8gWQYjkv708

On the about same day last year, we lost the beautiful, strong Queen Tsalala. These wonderful creatures will always be missed.
6 users Like BorntobeWild's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

Dark mane Avoca is no longer. Could this be the end of an era?
We salute him and his brother Blondie who died a month ago. Hail to the Kings!

11 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

S8 Male, close to gowrie gate

7 users Like Tonpa's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-27-2022, 06:54 AM)DARK MANE Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 05:09 AM)Cunaguaro Wrote: A crazy sighting at @nkorhobushlodge of the young Talamati male leads the operation to overthrow a huge buffalo with the rest of his pride by @mattywarephotography2020
We're they successful?

(11-20-2022, 07:38 PM)Tonpa Wrote: S8 Male, close to gowrie gate

So he’s really shifted his territory to the old Talamati/DM Region?  This seems quite far west than I’ve seen him?
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(11-20-2022, 08:14 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(11-20-2022, 07:38 PM)Tonpa Wrote: S8 Male, close to gowrie gate

So he’s really shifted his territory to the old Talamati/DM Region?  This seems quite far west than I’ve seen him?

Seems so yeah. He doesn't go into south Djuma yet either but that might change with recent events
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-21-2022, 12:22 PM by Tr1x24 )

SP and Gijimas (slide 4):

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

New publication from the SCAR YouTube Channel

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States SMK350 Offline

I miss the channels of old that did great tributes to fallen lions. Now its all footage of dying lions for views and clicks. That hunt video will be exploited forever. Yet we have so many treasured sightings! 

I was hoping ignijam would do one for Sassy since he is a Majingilane channel but all the great ones are gone. Now it’s just the worst photos and dying moments of our beloved lions.
3 users Like SMK350's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2022, 12:24 AM by Duco Ndona )

Its nature as nature is. Their misery and moments of horror are just as much part of that tale as their glory and happiness. 

Besides. If the hunt went better and we instead saw great o the footage of a buffalo being slaughtered horribly. Nobody would have batted an eye about showing that video everywhere.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

1ofCourage Offline

(11-22-2022, 12:10 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its nature as nature is. Their misery and moments of horror are just as much part of that tale as their glory and happiness. 

Besides. If the hunt went better and we instead saw great o the footage of a buffalo being slaughtered horribly. Nobody would have batted an eye about showing that video everywhere.

How many buffalo has anyone named?  How many buffalo are tracked on WILDFACT from birth to death? How many hours of footage are dedicated to a favorite buffalo on Wildearth? 
I think this is a little different, so you're right NO ONE would have batted an eye had a buffalo died.  No one would have cried or given numerous tributes to it either.

Dark Mane was a much photographed lion that was a favorite worldwide. People are going to miss him. People are still sad about this.
Personally I don't need video footage or any details of him being thrown around and stomped to know how bad it must have been.
So you can bet I batted my eyes on this film. I didn't like the footage and I hope to never see it all.

Nature might be nature, but there are plenty of things that people choose not to watch that happen there, and for me this one is right up there at the top.
4 users Like 1ofCourage's post

United States SMK350 Offline

Duco talked about glory and happiness, but where was that? I didn’t see the report of the wonderful last supper shared by two estranged brothers. Something none of us thought we’d seen again. I didn’t hear of how dark-mane took his son under his wings for the last month of his life. So many poignant moments but instead this was a really bad take of the last months of a lions life. I followed silver eye Talamati since she broke away from in Nkuhumas in 2013, and never has any of the dominant males who ruled my favorite pride affected me the way this lion has. So may be it’s just my emotions speaking… I don’t know. But I was disappointed.
6 users Like SMK350's post

Canada Maghreb Offline

(11-21-2022, 11:22 PM)SMK350 Wrote: I miss the channels of old that did great tributes to fallen lions. Now its all footage of dying lions for views and clicks. That hunt video will be exploited forever. Yet we have so many treasured sightings! 

I was hoping ignijam would do one for Sassy since he is a Majingilane channel but all the great ones are gone. Now it’s just the worst photos and dying moments of our beloved lions.

Agree,  I like to know the history; but I can't watch many of the videos, too sad.
4 users Like Maghreb's post

United States BorntobeWild Online
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2022, 09:12 PM by BorntobeWild )

Scar's channel is one of my favorite ones.

Honesty, I did not expect that part as well. It was too sad. I understand that he might just simply want to state how DM got killed and there was no way he could squeeze all the information about DM, Othawa Pride, Southern Pride, and the dynamics of the Sabi Sand in the 8 minutes video.  It would be nice and more educational if he emphasized how soft and glorious these royal characters were/are.

As for the lions' history,  I don't think anywhere else you can get better than this forum.
3 users Like BorntobeWild's post

WildRev Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2022, 11:02 PM by WildRev )

Scar provides informations as they are, he's not here to please the fans or to protect their little hearts but to give informations to those who aren't necessarily on the forums and thus aren't aware of what's going on in the wild.
His death is unfortunate but DM was a lion like any others, stop putting him on a pedestal.
3 users Like WildRev's post