There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(12-08-2020, 02:58 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: From my understanding the old avoca/giraffe males were huge chunky lions so maybe they sired him,after Hearing today about how large he is. Scorro wasn't to big was he?

Skorro was a big specimen,But not as the Avoca/Giraffe males were.
The Avoca/Giraffe males were one of the biggest lions around Manyeleti
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(12-07-2020, 10:52 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 10:24 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The Red Road Male Returns | On the Beat in the Manyeleti # 136
A real treat for Male Lion lovers. Dark mane Avoca, the young Mbiri Males and the Red Road male RETURNS!

Holy how big is RRM??

He said that he is bigger then Orpen males, who are not small males.. 

And then he said after he found DM Avoca, that RRM is definitely bigger then him, bigger body and head size,and DM has massive head and body himself.. 

RRM must be one of the biggest males in Kruger...

Also no word of Buddy, im affraid he wont last long alone, especially without a pride..

The Red road male it's an absolutely tank! He's the biggest male around Manyeleti.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tintswalo rangers already around 1 or 1 and half years ago in one of their raports described Red Road male as the largest lion seen in the region in a while so it is not that much suprising that he is still believed largest lion around. He must be huge if he is clearly larger than DM Avoca and Junior Nkuchuma which are big boys themselfs. I am acctually a bit suprised that guide said he is clearly larger than those two. I though DM is Junior should be somewhere really close to RRM in terms of body size.

What it comes back to question of who sired him then I always thought RRM's face structure look similar to Mohawhk and Blondie Northern Avocas and especially smaller maned Southern Avoca, but I guess we will never really know if he was sired by Skorro males or old Avoca males.

"From my understanding the old avoca/giraffe males were huge chunky lions so maybe they sired him,after Hearing today about how large he is. Scorro wasn't to big was he"

Tintswalo rangers put it straight forward saying that Avoca/Giraffes were much larger than Thanda Impis. Overall they very often called Avoca/Giraffes in their blogs massive, huge or gigantic so they were clearly very impressed with their body size. I am actually very curious how RRM would look in comparison to Avoca/Giraffes or Hairry Belly and Nduna Matimbas.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Red Road male

*This image is copyright of its original author

Southern Avoca:

5 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The magnificent Red road male in all his glory at Manyeleti Game Reserve, Kruger National Park.
July 2020
Image credits: Neil Jennings

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Red road male with Skorro Thanda Impi a few years ago on Ngala Private Game Reserve
Image credits: Renzo Gaudenzi
Ngala-KNP,posted  12/11/2014

4 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-08-2020, 06:48 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The Red road male with Skorro Thanda Impi a few years ago on Ngala Private Game Reserve

Some on fecebook group claims that old Avocas mated with Birmingham female back in 2013 as well. I do not now myself if that is the true.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

BTw intresting comment from the Tintswalo guide Neil Jennings at facebook group yet regarding size of male lions in the arena. On the question "Do you think Red Road male could be as large or oven larger than old Avoca males and Hairry Belly and Nduna (Iduna as in old Tintswalo raports, oldes male of the coalition) Matimbas?" He replied: " I only saw old avoca in their final 2 years so didn’t see them in their prime. Hairy belly for me was one of the biggest lions Iv ever seen when he was in his prime. Leeubron males were also huge"
2 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Junior in the Northern Manyeleti on March 26, 2017. 
photo credit: Christof Schoeman

3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Junior (back) and Buddy
photo credit: Bob Jacob
June 2019

3 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-08-2020, 09:57 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-08-2020, 02:58 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: From my understanding the old avoca/giraffe males were huge chunky lions so maybe they sired him,after Hearing today about how large he is. Scorro wasn't to big was he?

As we discussed this before, exactly about this topic.. Genes from fathers are not all, by that logic S. and N. Avocas would be biggest lions around, but they are pretty average (except DM, S. Avocas are bulky but i dont think they are that big) , as they are also sired by Old Avoca/Giraffes, and its not like Scorro was some small lion, they only said that he was not as big as Avoca/Giraffes.. 

If I remember correctly, when Red Road/Birmingham lionesses came in Manyeleti, their rangers stated that they are biggest lionesses they seen, so thats a factor too..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Yep, true

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(12-08-2020, 09:53 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

As we discussed this before, exactly about this topic.. Genes from fathers are not all, by that logic S. and N. Avocas would be biggest lions around, but they are pretty average (except DM, S. Avocas are bulky but i dont think they are that big) , as they are also sired by Old Avoca/Giraffes, and its not like Scorro was some small lion, they only said that he was not as big as Avoca/Giraffes.. 

If I remember correctly, when Red Road/Birmingham lionesses came in Manyeleti, their rangers stated that they are biggest lionesses they seen, so thats a factor too..

Well said. The bloodline depends from both sides, As much  as the lionesses and the males. For example, The old Giraffe males and the Birmingham females were very huge and bulky specimens. 
Then, The majority of their bloodline should be big as them. Example, The Birmingham young male. He's very big and bulk for his young age

United States sundarbans Offline

There is always a lot of mention of the Avoca/Giraffe males in these threads. And they seem to have been a successful coalition with many of their offspring going on to breed successfully. Can anyone give me more details about the coalition? How many were they? When and where did they reign? And why are they called "Avoca/Giraffe"? Are any of them alive?
1 user Likes sundarbans's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(12-08-2020, 02:41 PM)Potato Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 06:48 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The Red road male with Skorro Thanda Impi a few years ago on Ngala Private Game Reserve

Some on fecebook group claims that old Avocas mated with Birmingham female back in 2013 as well. I do not now myself if that is the true.
Do you know what they have said exactly? 
I just ask, Because I've seen some pics of the old Giraffe males on Ngala. But the rangers never have specified that they were with the Birmingham pride... 
Now, There are a lot of sightings of Skorro in 2013 and 2014 with the Birmingham pride and their cubs.
1 user Likes Timbavati's post